PDA

View Full Version : Just finished my master's thesis...I hope

Gerrtt
2010-04-11, 11:39 PM
Greetings all. I've been working on my master's thesis for about 3 months now and as of 12:45 AM Eastern time on April 12, 2010, I think I'm done.

Just really excited about it and everyone in my house is asleep (even though that's just one other person). Wanted to share my excitedness!

-Gerrtt

Syka
2010-04-11, 11:40 PM
Congratulations! That's a huge accomplishment. :smallsmile:

llamamushroom
2010-04-11, 11:45 PM
That's awesome! What was the topic?

Gerrtt
2010-04-11, 11:49 PM
How expressing anger is a restorative rather than destructive relational process. Or rather, how it can be.

For clarification I'm getting a master's in psychotherapy and faith from a seminary.

llamamushroom
2010-04-11, 11:51 PM
Obviously American seminaries are much cooler than Aussie ones. That is a really cool topic. I hope you aren't utterly sick of it by now :smallwink:.

Icewalker
2010-04-12, 12:22 AM
Oooh, that's a very interesting topic there. How long is the thesis? I'd love to read it if possible, assuming it can be shared once you've turned it in and settled all that degree business. :smallbiggrin:

Also assuming it doesn't require extensive background in psychotherapy to understand the terminology, seems like a Master's thesis might not exactly be written for the layman.

Killer Angel
2010-04-12, 02:13 AM
How expressing anger is a restorative rather than destructive relational process. Or rather, how it can be.

:smallfurious: :smallfurious: :smallfurious: :smallfurious: :smallfurious:

It works! :smallsmile:

OK, jokes apart, congratulations and good luck!

rollfrenzy
2010-04-12, 02:10 PM
YAY!! congratulations! As someone who is just beginning mine, it is nice to know it can be done. Do you have to defend it?

Gerrtt
2010-04-12, 11:01 PM
Home from all day didactic supervision groups and a shift at work, finally able to respond to all this:

@ llamamushroom: nope, not sick of it. Still love anger and angry people and enjoy the idea of working with them in therapy.

@ icewalker: 25-35 pages. Mine landed on the last line of page 36. Not sure what the sharing policy will be...it's just a master's thesis so I don't think the seminary has any publishing claim on it like they do with the doctoral theses, which are published and bound. I'll look into it and see if I can share it. Also, despite the master's degree I consider myself a bit of a layman when it comes to terminology and feel that my writing style would be able to understood. I think the most technical clinical term I use is coutertransference, but I explain what it is briefly in the paper.

@ Killer Angel: It DOES work. I swear. Just be careful and respectful to yourself and the person you may be angry at instead of harpooning them in the face.

@ rollfrenzy: Yes, it can be done. My topic has shifted dramatically from when I started thinking about it almost a year ago, but it can be finished. I do have to defend it, but from what I understand my adviser wouldn't let me get to that stage if he didn't think I could pass. Plus, the defense team is only two people, shouldn't be bad. However, one of them is a full-fledged bible scholar and PHD and the other is a licensed psychologist and therapist...eek. Nah, it's gonna be fun.

thubby
2010-04-12, 11:42 PM
I find it strange the school has the rights to the students' work.

SensFan
2010-04-12, 11:57 PM
Well, in Graduate Studies, they're usually paying you to research whatever for them.

Zeb The Troll
2010-04-13, 11:55 PM
Oooo, I'll bet that's something that Alarra would be interested in reading once you've got it completed too.

*goes to point Alarra to this thread*

Also, congrats on this major accomplishment. I know from being around Alarra while she was doing hers how much time and effort it can take. She must have done twenty revisions before her advisor would let her submit it.

Gerrtt
2010-04-14, 08:16 PM
Wow, mine only took one, but maybe the nature of Alarra's program is different than mine.

Then again I only gave one draft then made revisions and then submitted a final, it either works or it doesn't.