PDA

View Full Version : NPC build help

Deca
2010-04-12, 04:58 AM
I need some advice on the build of one of the plot-important NPC's in a campaign I'll be running soon.

The idea of this NPC is that he's widely feared in the countryside as a powerful sorceror...only that he's a complete phony. He has no magical aptitude whatsoever. He's just a guy who's good at acting and has a bunch of devices that can replicate the effects of certain spells.

The idea behind him comes from Rodario, AKA Rodario the Magnificent, AKA Rodario the Fablemaker from Markus Heitz's Dwarves series. For those who haven't read it, Rodario is a somewhat grandiose actor that manages to convince people he's a powerful mage by using a combination of good acting and stage props, the most notable being a hidden flamethrower.

My current idea is for an Expert with a high Cha score and a bunch of ranks in Bluff, Intimidate, Disguise and Use Magic Device. I'll probably end up going with this but if any of you have better ideas or advice, I'd be happy to hear them.

PinkysBrain
2010-04-12, 05:13 AM
How about an intelligent item with powers which grudgingly serves him? If he takes Martial Study-Moment of Perfect Mind he could reliably win ego battles.

Runestar
2010-04-12, 05:22 AM
Chameleon or factotum (or a mix of the two) might work. You even get some actual spellcasting.

Alternatively, there is the gnome artificer prc from magic of faerun. Or heck, go artificer (the irony is that you are easily on par with any equivalent full-caster). :smalltongue: