PDA

View Full Version : Soul experiment

2xMachina
2010-04-12, 05:49 AM
Wondering if anyone ever thought of reversing the weight of soul experiment?

To find out when a fertilized egg gets a soul, all you need is to detect when it has a weight spike without in/out of mass.

IIRC, it was said that upon death, about 21grams is lost. Thus, when there is a weight spike equivalent to 21 grams, that's when the soul comes.

Of course, it could be taken that the soul grows over time, thus the weight spike would be negligible, and grows to 21 grams over a life time, thus foiling the experiment.

Though, with sensitive enough equipment, you just need to detect a very, very small spike.

Not linked to religion I hope.

Thorcrest
2010-04-12, 06:47 AM
Not Religion! SCIENCE! HAIL MIGHTY SCIENCE!

I don't think anyone has ever thought of reversing this as it would be insanely difficult to account for the mass that would be the "soul" that is usually measured upon death.

Emperor Ing
2010-04-12, 07:47 AM
Even though that I know this is trying to be a scientific debate, this teeters ridiculously close to religious and would almost certainly do so if this thread were to continue.

Telonius
2010-04-12, 08:00 AM
This does assume that a soul is not composed of photons.

Haruki-kun
2010-04-12, 08:24 AM
Not linked to religion I hope.

Wikipedia's Soul article

The soul, in some religions, spiritual traditions, and philosophies, is the immaterial or eternal part of a living being,

Nope, not at all.

The Extinguisher
2010-04-12, 09:35 AM
I thought that whole soul experiment was proven to be bunk. The guy wasn't doing science so much as making things up to do what he wanted.

thubby
2010-04-12, 09:52 AM
the general issues of weighing a living thing so accurately and the wide variation between his subjects make any decisive conclusions impossible.

finding the exact mass of a fetus is hard enough, but finding an increase when the whole thing is constantly increasing at a non-constant rate would be near impossible.

Maximum Zersk
2010-04-12, 09:55 AM
Wait, isn't the presumed soul immaterial? How would it have mass?

Roland St. Jude
2010-04-12, 10:43 AM
Sheriff of Moddingham: Please give real world religion a wide berth.