PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Defense against grapple?

Critical
2010-04-12, 06:57 AM
Hey, we all know about the Ring of Freedom of Movement, but is there any cheaper defense against it for a non-caster? Discuss. :smalltongue:

Grumman
2010-04-12, 06:58 AM
Contact poison?

PhoenixRivers
2010-04-12, 07:03 AM
There's a feat in CompWarrior: Close Quarters Fighting.

No matter what, any grapple attempt provokes an AoO. This is regardless of improved grab, improved grapple, or the like.

If you hit and damage, add your damage to your roll to resist (if they have Imp Grab or Imp Grapple).

If they don't, then the grapple auto fails when you hit.

Volthawk
2010-04-12, 07:04 AM
Being a better grappler than them, so you can escape?

Jack_Simth
2010-04-12, 07:04 AM
Hey, we all know about the Ring of Freedom of Movement, but is there any cheaper defense against it for a non-caster? Discuss. :smalltongue:
High touch AC.
High BAB.
Improved Grapple.
High Strength.
Ranks in Escape Artist.
Hiding well enough that they can't find you in the first place.
A Cape of the Monteback (or other teleportation items).

What build are you looking at?

PhoenixRivers
2010-04-12, 07:09 AM
Anklet of Translocation (MIC) is particularly nice. 1400gp makes it a steal, and 2/day teleport as a swift action (10 feet) is enough to get you out of a grapple, and still let you full attack, or withdraw.

aivanther
2010-04-12, 07:13 AM
Don't armor spikes do damage in a grapple? If so, where a couple of them then

Benign Transposition (no somatic components) between you and the druid's dire bear.

Runestar
2010-04-12, 07:33 AM
There's a feat in CompWarrior: Close Quarters Fighting.

No matter what, any grapple attempt provokes an AoO. This is regardless of improved grab, improved grapple, or the like.

If you hit and damage, add your damage to your roll to resist (if they have Imp Grab or Imp Grapple).

If they don't, then the grapple auto fails when you hit.

Note that via a literal reading of the rules, you can't make the AoO if the foe is out of reach, and many foes whose grapple attempts are auto-success anyways tend to have excellent reach (combining high bab, large+ size and obscene str scores).

So no harm provoking AoOs if you know the player can't retaliate as he does not threaten the monster. :smallyuk:

PhoenixRivers
2010-04-12, 07:35 AM
Note that via a literal reading of the rules, you can't make the AoO if the foe is out of reach, and many foes whose grapple attempts are auto-success anyways tend to have excellent reach (combining high bab, large+ size and obscene str scores).

So no harm provoking AoOs if you know the player can't retaliate as he does not threaten the monster. :smallyuk:

Correct. In order to TAKE the AoO, you still must be eligible to take an AoO vs your target. If the target has total concealment, cover relative to you, or is out of your melee reach, you may not make AoO's against him.

That said? There are ways to get in. Tumble, translocation, Maneuvers that deny AoO's, or utilization of cover or concealment.

Telonius
2010-04-12, 07:36 AM
Vampirism.
Being a Mind Flayer.
Potion of Gaseous Form.
Slick armor.
Having a Rogue in the party.

Critical
2010-04-12, 07:52 AM
No build in particular, just curious.
Also, I've found a pretty cool item for such purpose, called Anklet of Translocation - Teleport 10ft as a swift action, just for 1,400 gold!

Volthawk
2010-04-12, 07:52 AM
No build in particular, just curious.
Also, I've found a pretty cool item for such purpose, called Anklet of Translocation - Teleport 10ft as a swift action, just for 1,400 gold!

You know it's already been mentioned, right?

Critical
2010-04-12, 07:54 AM
You know it's already been mentioned, right?

Ouch. Ninja'd!

Killer Angel
2010-04-12, 08:10 AM
Ring of blinking works fine. It's not cheap (neither too much costly), but it has so many uses and advantages, that avoiding grapple is only the ice on the cake.

Amphetryon
2010-04-12, 08:54 AM
Abrupt Jaunt works reasonably well for those that qualify.

Edit: Non-caster. Drat. Oh, well, I'm sure someone can finagle a way to get it without caster levels.

Person_Man
2010-04-12, 09:00 AM
Swarm subtype.

There's also Combat Stability (PHBII). If you have Combat Focus (pre-req, gives you a Will Save bonus) and one other Combat Focus feat, then Combat Stability grants you a +8 to resist Grapple/Bull Rush/Trip/etc checks. When combined with decent Str, you should be highly resistant to all special attacks.

jpreem
2010-04-12, 09:15 AM
Being on fire.

marjan
2010-04-12, 09:17 AM
Shield Ward (PHBII) gives you shield's bonus to AC to resist grapple, bull rush etc.

Douglas
2010-04-12, 09:57 AM
The Leaping Flame maneuver from ToB works pretty well. Oh, you grappled me? That's an attack. *teleport as immediate action* My turn to full attack you now.

Just make sure you wait for the last grapple action or you'll just get grabbed again.

Lysander
2010-04-12, 10:08 AM
Running away.

Tar Palantir
2010-04-12, 10:41 AM
Third Eye Freedom is a cheap 1/day, 1 round Freedom of Movement. I'm pretty sure there's a similar item that works 3/day, but I'm AFB at the moment.

Aharon
2010-04-12, 10:43 AM
Some 1st level truenamer utterance that copies the effect of Freedom of Movement for 1 round.
Research your own Truename for 1/2*HD*1000 gp
Buy Wand of said utterance for 750 gp
Buy Schema of Metamagic Item (Persistent Spell) for 6000 gp.

Cheaper than the ring, but dispellable.

Lysander
2010-04-12, 10:56 AM
Anything that boosts your strength or dexterity can also help you in a grapple. A Belt of Giant's Strength for instance is fairly cheap and a strength bonus is useful for a lot of things besides grappling.

Thrawn183
2010-04-12, 11:00 AM
There's also the stone dragon stance that gives you bonuses to resisting things like bull rushes and trip attempts.

Abd al-Azrad
2010-04-12, 11:10 AM
Turn into a swarm. I don't really care how you do it, I've just always wanted to pull that against an enemy. I suspect it breaks your 'no-caster' rule, but...

BSF: "Gotcha!"
Me: "Or is it I, who have 'got' you?" *melt into a swarm of death scarabs*
BSF: "Oh no! My skin!"

Class-ay.

Sinfire Titan
2010-04-12, 11:46 AM
Play a Totemist. Or Druid. Hard to beat them in a Grapple.

PlzBreakMyCmpAn
2010-04-12, 05:18 PM
Swarm subtype.You would say that wouldn't you? :smallwink:

Being on fire.Be a jade phoenix mage. Exploding solves everything.

strider24seven
2010-04-12, 07:19 PM
"Give a man fire, and you warm him for a day.
Set a man on fire, and you warm him for the rest of his life."

Anyway, be a Black Blood Cultist. And have natural weapons. And have levels in Warshaper.

"Oh, you grappled me?
Try to pin me? Oh, you failed? Looks like I get...
FULL ATTACK, SUCKA!!!
Now it's my turn...":smallcool:

sofawall
2010-04-12, 07:27 PM
Being on fire.

Especially if the one grappling you is a ninja.

strider24seven
2010-04-12, 07:35 PM
Especially if the one grappling you is a ninja.

But then the only defense is to be a pirate.

QuantumSteve
2010-04-12, 08:06 PM
Slick Armor gives you a bonus to Escape Artist. Or you could custom make, say, a Ring of Contortion.