PDA

View Full Version : Non-casterlevel-reliant spells

Escheton
2010-04-12, 08:03 AM
Now, there are many threads with all sorts of spell lists from batman to wizard god through archivist and blaster friendly spells.
However, I have not found a thread that focused on spells that are great for multiclass casters without many casterlvls.
So mostly low lvl spells here, but feel free to mention any you might find

the goal is to list good spells that arent improved by cl or dont need many to be good.
no discussions or trolling to water down the thread please
also, my search-fu is weak, so if there is already something like this, please link.

Critical
2010-04-12, 08:25 AM
Most of Power Word spells, Grease, Caltrops, Launch Bolt, Summon Monster chain and similar spells, True Strike, Prestidigitation, Blockade, Image spell chain... No, seriously, there are too many.

Chaelos
2010-04-12, 08:27 AM
Enervation is my personal favorite.

Boci
2010-04-12, 08:30 AM
Most of Power Word spells, Grease, Caltrops, Launch Bolt, Summon Monster chain and similar spells, True Strike, Prestidigitation, Blockade, Image spell chain... No, seriously, there are too many.

Grease and SM have a level based duration however. Seeking ray doesn't, except for overcoming SR.

PhoenixRivers
2010-04-12, 08:52 AM
Grease and SM have a level based duration however. Seeking ray doesn't, except for overcoming SR.

1 round/level.. Eh, at CL 5 (which is low), it lasts pretty much a whole fight.

Abd al-Azrad
2010-04-12, 09:26 AM
Yeah, there isn't really an easy way to summarize these. The best way to think about non-CL or save-dependent spells is to change your objective to "make the enemy waste a few actions." You're not trying to win the fight with your spell, you're trying to force your foes to waste time dealing with you while your party wins the battle.

That said, most low-level conjuration, illusion and transmutation spells accomplish this objective to various degrees. Use transmutation to buff your party, conjuration and illusion for battlefield control and to throw debuffs or other distractions (i.e. summoned beasts).

The Charm line is also not really CL-dependent. If your enemy fails its save, it'll be under your sway for days.

Finally, if you're having trouble with CL, there's always Practiced Spellcaster.

RagnaroksChosen
2010-04-12, 09:41 AM
fist of stone(i think is the name) out of spc doesn't need CL for any of the effects. +6 str and a slam for 1 minute. first level spell.

Edit: also

Are we just talking arcane or divine or both?

Edit edit:
From srd 1st level :
Identify
endure elements. truestrike, erase.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-04-12, 10:00 AM
Color Spray is completely non-CL-dependant. Other options are Identify, Web (technically 10 min/level, but who ever needed more that a couple of minutes?).

Godskook
2010-04-12, 10:05 AM
I suspect the lack of a list is due to the expectation around here that if you have access to a spell, you'll have access to the CL to use it effectively.

If I may, is this for a particular character, and if so, what's the build?

Also, I think what you want to search for is "Good spells to have in scroll"(Add 3.5 if using google).

Here's what I found:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/archive/index.php?t-134726.html
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131376

RagnaroksChosen
2010-04-12, 10:06 AM
Just a quick run through I may have missed a few or missed where the caster level dependencies are in these but:

Arcane:

1:
Endure elements
identify
true strike
erase
color spray

2:
Continual flame
daze monster
magic mouth
blindness/deafness
pyrotechnics

3:
Explosive runes
sepia snake sigil

Bard:

1:
Erase
Hypnotism
Identify
Magic Mouth
Undetectable alignment

2:
animal trance
blindness/deafness
pyrotechnics
daze monster
sound burst

Cleric:
1:
Bless/curse water
endure elements
magic stone

2:
Remove paralysis
restoration lesser
sound burst
undetectable alignment

3:
blindness/deafness
contagion
bestow curse
continual flame
Glyph of warding
remove blindness deafness
remove curse
remove desiese

Druid:
1:
Endure elements
2:
lesser restoration
warp wood
3:
Contagion
Plant growth
poison
Quench
Remove desise

spectralphoenix
2010-04-12, 10:23 AM
It really depends on what you're multiclassing with and what you expect your magic to do for you. If you intend to spend most of your time as a physical combatant, wizard defensive spells like blur, mirror image, or resist energy can be a good boost to your defenses, and have a duration measured in minutes. Save or X spells can also be good if you find a way to keep your save DCs reasonably high. Fly has both utility and is very handy in combat against enemies who can't reach you, provided you have some way to attack them from out of reach. Don't bother with direct damage; pretty much every damage spell scales to some degree.

You should also take Practiced Spellcaster if you're planning on multiclassing.

Escheton
2010-04-12, 11:59 AM
I suspect the lack of a list is due to the expectation around here that if you have access to a spell, you'll have access to the CL to use it effectively.

If I may, is this for a particular character, and if so, what's the build?

Also, I think what you want to search for is "Good spells to have in scroll"(Add 3.5 if using google).

Here's what I found:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/archive/index.php?t-134726.html
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131376

well its use is for my jade phoenix mage.http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145253 which is mainly a melee fighter and will have more use from other feats then practised spellcaster
Just figured there will be more that can benefit from such a list so I made a seperate thread