PDA

View Full Version : [4E] Looking for ways to regain the use of an expended daily power

Angelmaker
2010-04-12, 08:23 AM
Hi there, Playgrounders.

Soo, here I am thinking that the Polearm Masterīs reach stance ( Martial Power, Paragon Class for fighters ) is really good. In fact, wether you think itīs good or not, I like it that much, that Iīd like to be able to use it as an encounter power. Threatening Reach 2? Yes please! Combined with eternal defender in epic tier or even polearm gambit on paragon, this looks like a juicy build to me.

Soo, how does one either with feats, items, elixiers or something else regain the use of an expended daily power?

The only means Iīve come across so far is the Veterans armor, with which you can exchange an action point and a magic item daily use for an expended daily power.

But thatīd require me to carry at least 2 veteran armors with me at all times, donning it after the battle, using that power and then re-equipping the agile gith plate, or something... This strikes me as cumbersome and to some extent pretty much stupid.

If you have some decent ideas, Iīd be most grateful.

Break
2010-04-12, 08:50 AM
The only means Iīve come across so far is the Veterans armor, with which you can exchange an action point and a magic item daily use for an expended daily power.

This method was hit with errata - the armor no longer has that ability.

Anasazi
2010-04-12, 08:50 AM
well, remember, daily use is actually more like 'until you get extended rest' sort of thing, so i would play that route about it. Rolling classes like warforged helps make that extended rest much easier to obtain. Combining that with simple outdoor adventures with a mule and pull cart and you can relax in style without penalities on your route to the next destination.

just a stop gap fix, I dont have the books infront of me this second but I thought I'd throw that out there for you.

Angelmaker
2010-04-12, 09:02 AM
OK, thanks for clearing that up, Break. It wasnīt a route I was likely going to take anyway.

@ Anasazi: Donīt you have to wait 12 hours between two extended rests? Not likely going to work, we often have 3 or 4 encounters lined up waiting for us, so i need something that works reliably.

Well, thanks for your contribution so far. Iīd appreciate any further ideas/hints.

The Glyphstone
2010-04-12, 11:00 AM
Ah, Veteran's Armor. Best errata ever.

Kurald Galain
2010-04-12, 11:14 AM
Salve of Power used to do that, but also got errata'ed. Off the top of my head, I don't think it's possible with a fighter power. There are a few paragon paths and epic destinies (notably archmage) that are all about re-using daily powers, but most of them tend to restrict themselves to arcane powers.

Angelmaker
2010-04-13, 03:35 AM
Allright, thanks for the info. Well then, I have to live with that. Damn. :smallsigh:

Reynard
2010-04-13, 04:14 AM
This will annoy you even more. Any Psionic class can get this with the Godmind Epic Destiny.

Rejuvenate Mind. Godmind Utility 26
Light emanates from you as you reach into the collective uncon*scious and touch a font of mental power.
Daily + Psionic
Minor Action Personal
Effect: You regain either all your power points or the use of all your daily powers, except this one. You also gain a number of temporary hit points equal to your highest ability score.

I mean, seriously. That doubles the amount of super-powers you can fling around in a single day.

Galdor Miriel
2010-04-13, 07:01 AM
One thing we have done is to use skill challenges for bonuses, such as regaining dailys. This is dm dependant. One example would be a recent dungeon crawl where we did some research in a library as a skill challenge before fighting a bunch of templated undead. The successes in the skill challenge, which was role played, allowed us to regain daily powers and or reroll a throw. It was awesome fun as we got to use more dailys which was great (My cleric used divine power three times) and we just kept going giving the adventure the right feel for a time pressure save the world and stop the ritual from opening a door to another world kick.

So my suggestion is suggest something like this to the dm. Skill challenges, the most misunderstood and fun improvement to the game to come out of 4e, and the thing I would most want to introduce into 3.5 if I went back to it, with the same skill system.

Angelmaker
2010-04-13, 08:31 AM
One thing we have done is to use skill challenges for bonuses, such as regaining dailys. This is dm dependant. One example would be a recent dungeon crawl where we did some research in a library as a skill challenge before fighting a bunch of templated undead. The successes in the skill challenge, which was role played, allowed us to regain daily powers and or reroll a throw. It was awesome fun as we got to use more dailys which was great (My cleric used divine power three times) and we just kept going giving the adventure the right feel for a time pressure save the world and stop the ritual from opening a door to another world kick.

So my suggestion is suggest something like this to the dm. Skill challenges, the most misunderstood and fun improvement to the game to come out of 4e, and the thing I would most want to introduce into 3.5 if I went back to it, with the same skill system.

Thatīs interesting, yes, and I did something similiar when I DMed my group, to speed up the pace between encounters. Itīs a nice story element, but nothing you can really count on. I want to do this on a regular basis, just for this one daily utility power.

@ Reynard: Well, ok, but weīre talking epic destinies here anyway. Epic stuff is epic. :smallamused: Something bit more paragonic would be nice, it even can come at a hefty cost ( like spending the action point to renew it, or whatever. ).

Kurald Galain
2010-04-13, 08:45 AM
@ Reynard: Well, ok, but weīre talking epic destinies here anyway. Epic stuff is epic. :smallamused: Something bit more paragonic would be nice, it even can come at a hefty cost ( like spending the action point to renew it, or whatever. ).

I think it's a fundamental issue: the way 4E designed, it is almost by definition unbalanced to use a daily power more than once per day (and certain imbalances are considered acceptable at high epic tier). The whole point of dailies is that they're really, really good and you only get to use them rarely. Any mechanism that breaks that rule is wide open to abuse, and likely food for the next errata.

Angelmaker
2010-04-14, 05:45 AM
just disagreeing here. There is an epic destiny that says something along the lines of "You never run out of encounter powers. If you spent your last, you regain the use of any encounter power." Thatīd break the rule of only using the encounter power once during any encounter.

These imbalances are calculated into the epic destinies, I am pretty sure of it. Though only having experience of low paragon tier, so I may be off by far.

Kurald Galain
2010-04-14, 06:01 AM
just disagreeing here. There is an epic destiny that says something along the lines of "You never run out of encounter powers. If you spent your last, you regain the use of any encounter power."
At level 30, yes, and this was errata'ed to work only once per encounter.

These imbalances are calculated into the epic destinies, I am pretty sure of it.
That's the intent. However, certain epic destinies are clearly unbalancing (not that this is necessarily a problem at level 26+) and certain others are clearly underwhelming.