PDA

View Full Version : CoC: NPC villians

JeenLeen
2010-04-12, 10:27 AM
I am trying to run a Call of Cthulhu (based off v5.6 rulebook) game that is to be extended with a long-term plot. Of course, this may end if the players all die or go insane early in the plot, but the group knows this is possible.

My question is: how should I have an enemy sorcerer (Sanity 0) interact with the PCs?
My idea for a recurring villian is a sorcerer, currently a cultist of a Great Old One but planning on just using that for his own power. He is attempting to find some magicks that will grant him immortality and the powers of a Great Old One. He'll fail and the PCs have to pick up the pieces (or die/go insane.)

For at least one mission, I plan on having him accompany the PCs posing as a servant of Bast (Elder God, not innately hostile to humanity) in hopes of getting a scroll with a spell he wants. Can someone insane hold up a deception like htat?

I know the DM can have a person act however they wish, but I like (and the players expect) internal consistency in the system. Could his insanity manifest as simply non-human conception of reality (his perception being so twisted by the Mythos), or should he have to have something obviously wrong with him mentally?

EDIT: Adding another question: what are some good modules which I could draw from for my campaign/group?

KurtKatze
2010-04-12, 10:40 AM
Did you ever play an arranged scenario in CoC? Something like Horror on the orient Express, or maybe a better example Shadows of Nyarlatotep (wrong spelling i know -.-')

In the second one your PC's frequently meet "insane" leader type cultists which are often also in a high position in their mundane life. Owner of a prosperous plantation, or even headmanager of a successful bank.

The insane rather means the uninterrupted perception of the "true" reality. In Coc the true reality is the one with the old ones and the cruel magic etc. The insane ones know that, like that, and give a **** about everybody else in fact, they would like to see humanity destroyed by the old ones or elder gods which are usually their masters.

I always saw it like that, phobias, or metal illness comes as a reaction of the mind to defend the "old" perception of the world. And in that fight amongst what you know and what you want to know the characters gain the lilttle knacks and twists which make CoC so great.

Someone who is at 0 sanity is simply over the fighting and has become a merciless being, not caring about other humans just fo rmore power and knowledge.

give him a high "Charisma" and intelligence, this alone should justify that he can "act like they would think is appropriate" and still have the PC's sympathies. But if you like, a little freaky mental illnes or a behaviour from a former illness that stuck is nice.

There is one where people eat strange and for others disgusting thins. Slime, moss, rotten things. He could than tell the Pc's that he thinks it is healthy and when you do it right they shouldnt suspect too much^^

JeenLeen
2010-04-12, 11:00 AM
That helps a lot, and I think a friend of mine might have copies of those modules.

This is a different question, but does anyone have recommendations of good modules for a group? A friend of mine has a fair number, so I might have access to a good selection for my group.

Any more feedback on insanity is also welcome.

Doc Roc
2010-04-12, 11:11 AM
My experience suggests that running 0 sanity sorcerers is only a good plan if you can fit at least two character sheets in your mouth.