PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying/acting tips?

randomhero00
2010-04-12, 12:52 PM
I don't mean the standard, create a good backstory tips. I'm about to play a game where out of character chat is almost nill and we're in character as much as possible.

Does anyone have tips for that? I'm looking for methods to help keep myself in character for long periods.

Would changing the pitch of my voice slightly help? I don't mean doing goofy accents. Just a slight change in the way I talk to help keep me in character.

Tips for remembering how my character would react? Basically to keep down the pauses in his reaction. I'm creative but it takes me time. I'm not good at reacting to things on the fly. Maybe practice in the mirror? Make note cards with key phrases and quiz myself?

Should I avoid speeches? Or embrace them?

Would wearing something of my character's help? Like fake glasses or something. Or again, would I just look goofy? I'm not going to carry a weapon though. Its not LARPing just to be clear.

I think most of all I'm looking for practice methods to help me actually think in character so the responses are free flowing and as realistic as possible.

There was probably a thread similar to this but I wanted to ask these specific questions.

Fhaolan
2010-04-12, 01:14 PM
Nearly all the tricks for acting/roleplaying are individualistic. Meaning they might work for you, or might be detrimental for you. It's something that needs to be experimented with, with the idea you can drop it immediately if they don't work.

Wearing an article of clothing or having a prop that the character would as a signature item, but you normally would not can work. Not a full costume, but something like a ring, a hat, a scarf, a wand, etc. Some people find that can concentrate their mind, but others find it can be distracting.

I can't recommend changing your voice for a PC. NPCs, fine, because you're only going to be doing it for limited stints. A PC that is intended to be a long-term effort, it's going to get annoying. Mainly because people tend to under-estimate how much impact a tonal change/accent can have and *way* overdo it, and then have difficulty carrying it through for the length of time they need to do it.

A list of things the character likes/dislikes can help. Not phobias or strange compusions, just like/dislikes of things that really don't matter. For example, the character likes blue, but knows he looks better in red. Odd little things that may never come up, but establish the character in your head.

Also, be willing to make stuff up on the fly, and occasionally ask trivial questions on things that don't matter to the game, but might matter to the character. For instance, the DM says you smell floral perfume to indicate a noble woman was in the area. You ask what kind of flowers. It's not relevant to the game, but maybe the character would have a stronger reaction one way or the other to roses because it reminds him of his grandmother's garden.

randomhero00
2010-04-12, 01:20 PM
I like those tips, thanks! That's a really good point on the voice I hadn't thought of. I'm really glad I asked now because I would have done something like that.

What do you think of the speech idea? That is, me prewriting out a speech ahead of time, and then either reading it or reciting it at a certain point. Will that be too robotic, or be good for my character?

If anyone else has tips please share!

batsofchaos
2010-04-12, 01:55 PM
When playing a character, I usually go through an initial routine to get them play-ready, especially when it's a new character that I haven't played before. I decide three pieces of information about them, usually dictated by their back-story, to create a basis for play-acting them.

1 and 2) Two distinct character traits, usually one positive and one negative, but might both be positive or negative if the character calls for it.

3) A physical quirk. Either something that describes their movement (such as a slight limp from an old knee injury, or a soft and fleetness of foot, walking with a cane, a tendency to crack knuckles, etc.) or their speech (slur, lisp, verbal tick, oft-repeated phrase, etc.).

With these three pieces of info, you have several tools for play-acting your character without wracking your brain. The two character traits are probably already dictated by the character concept that you developed, but it's helpful to put them in easily understood ideas. If you're having trouble coming up with anything, there are websites that list many traits (here (http://www.gurusoftware.com/gurunet/personal/factors.htm) for example) to help narrow things down. These two pieces of info can help you figure out what decision your character would make on the fly as well as reactions to events and in conversation. For example, if your traits are Courageous and Impractical, you know that when presented with a task your reaction should be to attempt it immediately in a strange way, whereas if you're serious and stingy you'd be bartering out your fee before doing anything. Again, you've probably already come up with a more complicated personality in the back-story, but having two key traits to work off of will help you make descisions and decide how excatly your character would react to a given situation.

The physical quirk helps you with creating a disctinction in your actual play-acting by giving you something to focus on. don't go overboard and decide your character talks like Jerry Lewis, but a subtle quirk can help you describe actions and play-act dialogue.

With crutches like these you can get up-and-running on how to play your character. Don't rely on them too much or your character will come off as flat and one-note, but used sparingly and you can build up confidence in how the character is to be played. Eventually you'll have them down pat and know exactly how to play your character and won't need the crutches, but having them to start with will help you get through the difficult first-time jitters.

Paulus
2010-04-12, 02:03 PM
Hello! there are several 'methods' we actors actually utilize, not just 'the method' but a variety of styles and ideas that fuel our 'craft' to present or represent a character. I certainly can't turn you into an actor right off the bat, because some games simply don't stay in character long enough for you too need the endurance. And believe me it takes a bit of endurance to be someone else entirely different. So my first tip to to make your character just SLIGHTLY off from yourself. No stretches, no huge life changing switches, because you'll find yourself turning him into a caricature instead just so you can keep up with him.

Would changing the pitch of my voice slightly help? I don't mean doing goofy accents. Just a slight change in the way I talk to help keep me in character.

Voice work is a good way to separate yourself from your character but it really depends on what kind of character you are going for and how your group tells the story. If for example by our example of staying IC all day, you speak as your character at the table. "I slay the foul beasty with mine mighty blade!" this can be troublesome when explaining complex maneuvers In character. It's hard to be descriptive when talking about yourself In character, it borders on breaking it because you're talking about yourself doing silly 'game' things and makes you feel unreal.

Whereas if you are a narrator AND your character, you can do this a little easier. Example: I roll to the left and use my blade on the lizard folk screaming with righteous fury, (cue character voice) "THOU FOUL WYRM! BREATH YOUR LAST!" that can be easier because everybody- including yourself gets the idea you are IN character. Or if you want it even MORE detached and characteristic, become a mini DM. Speak about your character as if you were telling his story. "Celudote rolls to the left and strikes swiftly with his blade upon the foul lizard folk to his right, screaming in righteous fury, (cue character voice) "FOUL ABOMINATION! I STRIKE AT THEE AGAIN!"

Depending on your group play style either of these three styles may apply but they create a clear separation between yourself and your character. Now if you'd rather be in character all day long in that you are fine with your character telling his own story, as in, he tells the DM what he would do, that would be closer to 'acting' as most know it. But it can also be the most exhaustive and if overdone or done poorly can be the most annoying and quite quickly at that.

Therefore it always best to start out small, so if you are doing voice work, changing pitch is alright or even an accent, just make sure you speak sparingly and resist the urge to do so outrageously. Let people get comfortable first, judge their comfort levels, and go from there.
As for tips themselves, heh, of course don't pick a pitch or volume or tone that hurts your throat. Don't pick one that is annoying, even if fun to use, and don't try to emulate a popular voice (darth vader) because no one will take the character seriously. it can be LIKE them, not not out of the box exactly like them.

Tips for remembering how my character would react? Basically to keep down the pauses in his reaction. I'm creative but it takes me time. I'm not good at reacting to things on the fly. Maybe practice in the mirror? Make note cards with key phrases and quiz myself?

Improvisation is often a 'you can' or 'can't kind of thing in acting. But don't let that stop you from trying, in fact, the more you try the better at it you will get. You may no be 'inspired!' but everyone can do with a little 'thinking on their feet'. The simplest thing I can offer is to make sure you have your character's personality and back story down. And then, simply ask yourself "what would they do". For example. You know the character has a temper, and you know they have a history with 'ducks'. So if you run across a duck like object or sound, have them react a bit more on the agitated side then on the humorous, or sad, or indifferent side. (Just don't, "duck=RAGE")

There are many personality and backstory advice FAQ and such out there, so I'll save space here and tell you to have them covered. Just remember every reaction is fueled by past experience and a CHOICE due to that experience to feel an emotion. I'll clarify if you need me to.

Should I avoid speeches? Or embrace them?
Don't LOOK for opportunities- that only leads you to building up and leaping upon what may or may not have been one and annoying people if it wasn't really warranted-, but if one finds you, embrace it. Just remember that other characters are looking too and other people wish to play. Don't hog the spotlight, keep it short, and above all have fun.

Would wearing something of my character's help? Like fake glasses or something. Or again, would I just look goofy? I'm not going to carry a weapon though. Its not LARPing just to be clear.

Some actors, and first time actors in general, find that costumes actually make it FAR easier to 'be someone else' because you LOOK like someone else. It's up to your own comfort level to judge how much or how little you wish to wear... but speaking of judgment and comfort.... ... kick that attitude to the curb. Looking goofy? afraid of LARPing? no, No, NO! If you are too busy being scared of what others think, or worried you will come off goofy, you'll NEVER be able to just have fun or let the character do his thing. YOU will be to busy blocking him with fear, doubt, uncertainty. The table is your friends, your audience, and more, your ensemble. THEY are backing you up, THEY aren't judging you, because YOU aren't judging THEM. Leave that ego at the door and just let go.

of course some will laugh, and of course some won't get it. But they are laughing WITH you! not at you! They ARE your friends after all. ...but... if someone does scoff at your 'meager' and 'pathetic' attempts at 'acting'. 'Sneers' at your pretentious and feeble endeavors to become a true artisan... well, you have a bigger problem in your game then just trying to act. Still tis not your fault and nothing to worry about.

The only other person's thinking you should worry about is your character, not everyone else around the table. GO FOR IT. and if your DM or table don't like it, they'll bring it up. No big deal. Nothing was lost, embarrassment? feh. that's for lesser mortals. we are actors! we thrive on feeling what others dare not! We thrive on feeling anything and everything! We BELIEVE we are someone else more or less than ourselves, and because WE believe it, so do OTHERS!

Hope this has helped, and please feel free to ask if you want me to clarify or expand on anything. :3

Semidi
2010-04-12, 02:24 PM
In my LARPing experience I do the following things to get into a new character. I sometimes work on these things months ahead of time just to get into the mindset of the character.

1) Talk to myself IC

Part of this is to get down the character's vocals (I don't usually like accents but my characters are often loud, soft, require a deep voice, require a lisp, etc). For instance, with one character of mine, I usually deepen my natural voice and speak loudly.

The other way is to get down the character's vocal habits and to see if I like them. For instance, right now, I'm trying to decide if a character I'm going to play is going to call people "baby," "cat," "brother," etc..

2) Write from their point of view.

I generally write back story stuff. This helps me get a handle on their mental state and philosophy about life, the universe, and everything.

3) Physical habits

How do they walk (more important for LARP than tabletop, though still...), what are their physical ticks (a cocaine addict rubbing his nose, a slightly savage individual scratching himself, etc.), and how do they hold themselves (with poise, slouching, constantly moving, and so on).

--
I don't usually go for costuming too much. What gets me in the character's mindset is usually the vocal mannerisms. Your mileage may differ though.

valadil
2010-04-12, 02:24 PM
I don't mean the standard, create a good backstory tips. I'm about to play a game where out of character chat is almost nill and we're in character as much as possible.

But I have a backstory tip that I find really helpful!

Don't just list information in your backstory. Write out dialogue. Put your character in a conversation. This gives you a chance to find your character's voice while you can edit it. If you don't like how a sentence turned out, go back and revice.

This sort of thing doesn't even have to be part of a backstory. I'm fortunate that my GMs all like reading this sort of thing. Some of them don't. I still do a write up (when I have time) that includes character dialogue. It's a great way to rehearse for your character while no other players are watching.

The other benefit of writing out your dialogue (as opposed to practicing by a mirror) is that you'll have a transcript you can read later. While I'm still adjusting to a character I reread the transcripts before each game session. It seriously helps me jumpstart my way into character.

Probably? I've seen other people do that. I don't do it myself though. Doing voices takes away too much of my focus and I spend all my brain cycles on the accent and not the character. If you can do an accent without thinking about it, go for it.

I find it easier to change patterns of speech. Pick a few of your character's favorite words. Maybe make up a curse for him. Does he address people by name or nickname? That sort of thing.

I'm quick witted but still try to plan these things out. If you can see a conflict coming a couple sessions away, have an insult ready for it. This is another place where playing out dialogues outside of game will give you a resources for later.

I've found this helpful in LARPs. I haven't tried it in tabletop. My rule of thumb here is that it helps if everyone is doing it. If you're the only one you end up feeling ridiculous.

I think most of all I'm looking for practice methods to help me actually think in character so the responses are free flowing and as realistic as possible.

There was probably a thread similar to this but I wanted to ask these specific questions.

What works for you is entirely dependent on you. Try out things that may or may not help and see what their effect is.

One of the things I've notice about my own roleplaying style is that I like to really understand what's going on in a character's head. I need a bit of their psychology before I can play the character. This takes me several sessions to do, but once it happens traits and quirks emerge. I don't usually plan those quirks, they just kind of happen.

Other players put on the traits and quirks. They'll cherry pick a few qualities they want to play and wear those like a hat. Keeping those traits intact while playing the game gives them a feel for who might have those traits. It's the reverse of my preferred process, but it works just as well for other people.

Radar
2010-04-12, 02:43 PM
1. On talking differently: IMO it's a bit easier to adapt a different accent or speach mannerism then to change the pitch. Especially if one has to do it for a longer time. It would be best to try out different things before the game and pick, what suits your character and is easy for you to do. In-game you will have to use it without thinking about it too much.

2. Pre-written speach: IMO only if it would be in-character to have a pre-written speach. If your PC likes to show off or play a hero, then having a catchphrase or a cheese entrance routine (just don't overdo it and go all Team Rocket (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwFxQ14rUbc) every single time). If your character knows, there might be a good opportunity for a speach, you might even make a Sleight of Hand check to peek into notes or blatantly pull out a scroll.

3. Mimic: don't forget about this valuable tool. When I played a wit-impaired half-giant, I found it helpful to mark my in-charcter spoken parts with a specific face expression. You might think about some ticks or body language mannerism for your character - something to consider. Again: nothing too extreme.

4. Emotions and the lot: it probably is very person-dependant, but I think it might be helpful, to call upon one's own reactions then try to act up something new. If your character should be sad about something, try to remember your own reactions to sadness and use them or so to speak artifically amplify sadness in yourself. The same goes with other things too; temper/cowerdice/courage/fear/helplessness/joy etc. - everyone has experienced those and has them in oneself. All you have to do is amplify some of them and tone down some others according to you PC's personality.

Just_Ice
2010-04-12, 03:01 PM
Definitely use a different voice/accent, but don't use one you have trouble speaking in for extended periods of time; you're better off using your regular voice if it comes to that. Don't consider you as yourself playing a game, consider yourself as the character. Practice in front of a mirror. Know your backstory inside and out. Try to imagine the appropriate facial expressions and make them with your character.

Don't wear anything unless you know it helps. Don't use cue cards unless you've got a terrible memory. Don't specifically make speeches unless that's the kind of character you're playing; speaking up all the time ill-befits a shadowy rogue. Laugh at things your character would laugh at, resist the temptation to make jokes in real life.

This is a bit of a harsh guide, but serious roleplaying is tough to do consistently.

UncleMark
2010-04-12, 03:08 PM
One of my players has a massive fake dwarf beard that he picked up somewhere and every-time he gets ready to play or speak IC he puts it on. He also changes his voice a bit. The first couple of times it was laugh out loud funny for everyone around the table, but now it is just his character. One of the other players was playing a gnome so he sat on a smaller chair so that only the top of his head could be seen above the table most of the time. I have been known to roll my eyes back into my head and mumble some "unknown" expressions when my wizard casts his spells (especially for daily powers)

Talon Sky
2010-04-12, 04:06 PM
Not phobias or strange compusions

Although, having one or two can make thing interesting. Like having a fear of the undead (I played a cleric who was terrified of undead once) can help you determine how you'll react IC when and if you face undead. Or a natural draw towards shiny objects might make you want more of the gems when the loot's divided, rather then one of the magical weapons.

Is it practical? No, but most people aren't ;p

Also, on wearing a bit of a costume: who says anyone but you has to know? If your character a child of a famous family, he could have a signet ring. So wear a ring but don't bring overt attention to it. You know it's there, however, and you know it's your character's family symbol or stone.

randomhero00
2010-04-12, 05:03 PM
A lot of tips, thanks guys! I'll be going over this thread several times.