PDA

View Full Version : Creativity is in the air (hopefully)

EasilyAmused
2010-04-12, 12:58 PM
I need some creative thoughts for a character. The team's going with element-inspired characters and as the resident noob - I got air/wind.

Not wanting to go with a last airbender template, I was thinking of something with an emphasis on speed/dexterity possibly in the long-range archer/sniper family, but really I'm just looking for inspiration and thought the Giant's posters were the most creative on the web. I've been the cleric in everything I've done so far, and I'm not against doing it again. Air seemed a little roguish to me, though.

Basically - we're all starting at the bottom - level 1. Any class and race from 3.5 is legal. DM's pretty flexible about tweaking. (especially to me since I'm new) Other characters in the 4 person group: a dwarf is taking the earth/stone slot (possibly deep or mountain races) not sure what class, a dragonborn fighter is taking up the fire side of things and the water guy is definitely a wizard of some kind.

The group isn't in to optimization nearly as much as they're into fluff. So creativity is key. I've only got the 4e books so I'm still researching 3.5. Anything you guys can suggest would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance! :smallsmile:

RelentlessImp
2010-04-12, 01:18 PM
White Dragonspawn Dragonwrought Loredrake Kobold Sorcerer 3/Swiftblade (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/prc/20070327) 10/Initiate of the Sevenfold Veils 7

Flight, extreme speed, mobility, defenses and so on; I don't know how much better you can enhance the speed/dexterity aspect. You also have the spellcasting of a (3 Sorc + 2 Loredrake + 1 Greater Draconic Rite + 1 White Dragonspawn + 6 Swiftblade + 7 IotSV) 20th level Sorcerer by level 20 despite "losing" 4 spellcasting levels from Swiftblade 10.

The Glyphstone
2010-04-12, 01:28 PM
White Dragonspawn is a +1 LA inherited template though, and they're starting from Level 1...

RelentlessImp
2010-04-12, 01:34 PM
White Dragonspawn is a +1 LA inherited template though, and they're starting from Level 1...

This is true. You still wind up with 19th level casting without it and can replicate the Flight by 7th level with Overland Flight as your first 5th level spell known, provided you do the Greater Draconic Rite at 6th level.

JasonP
2010-04-12, 01:37 PM
An Air Mephling (Planar Handbook) Bard playing a wind instrument would be pretty air flavored and they have +2 dex. Not sure if you could get flight or wind/air spells though.

Edit: Nevermind, didn't realize there was LA on that too.

Evil the Cat
2010-04-12, 01:38 PM
Windwalker, From Faiths and Pantheons, not sure if its been reprinted, since its 3.0ish. Druid/Cleric PrC with full BAB and full spellcasting. Good fluff, and a few nice special abilities. Needs BAB of 5, so not the quickest to enter though. If he allows LA buy off/ LA adjustment races, air genasi is about as air themed a race as you can get.

The only real annoyance is the feat tax. 3 pretty underwhelming feats to enter. Track, Weapon Focus (Greatsword), Lightning Reflexes.

Tinydwarfman
2010-04-12, 01:39 PM
White Dragonspawn Dragonwrought Loredrake Kobold Sorcerer 3/Swiftblade (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/prc/20070327) 10/Initiate of the Sevenfold Veils 7

Flight, extreme speed, mobility, defenses and so on; I don't know how much better you can enhance the speed/dexterity aspect. You also have the spellcasting of a (3 Sorc + 2 Loredrake + 1 Greater Draconic Rite + 1 White Dragonspawn + 6 Swiftblade + 7 IotSV) 20th level Sorcerer by level 20 despite "losing" 4 spellcasting levels from Swiftblade 10.

WARNING, EXTREME CHEESE DETECTED

But seriously, a new player will not and should not jump straight into a White Dragonspawn Dragonwrought Loredrake. The background also contradicts itself. I'd like to see you try and get that past a DM.

Back to the OP, try an air genasi (or the lesser version if you have PGtF) for that air heritage feel, or failing that, Unearth Arcana (available in the SRD) has elemental versions of the standard core ones.

waterpenguin43
2010-04-12, 01:40 PM
Idea! An Air Elemental bloodlined Bard or Air Shugenja. Or maybe Bard/Air Shugenja.
Also, this just gave me an idea for a thread.....

Flickerdart
2010-04-12, 01:46 PM
Idea! An Air Elemental bloodlined Bard or Air Shugenja. Or maybe Bard/Air Shugenja.
Also, this just gave me an idea for a thread.....
Bloodlines are even cheesier than White Dragonspawn.

Raptorans get free flight, and are LA0. They also get crazy foot bows they can fire while flying, so you can rain arrowy death from above. Go Scout with Greater Manyshot, it'll be an effective build against stuff not immune to precision damage, and you can always cart around some Bane arrows in those cases.

EasilyAmused
2010-04-12, 01:56 PM
Relentless Imp, (Wow!) that's an impressive progression class-wise. (But) I don't think even with my DM's leniency, I'd get that race okayed. But kudos on creativity! That's the kind of thinking I was looking for.

I like the air races that have been posted so far, but was wondering if there were any less obviously-wind-based races out there(?) Hated to go in on creation day with something that already had "air" in the name.

Just found out water-guy is going doppelganger/shapeshifter.

Thanks again - this is just the kind of inspiration I was looking for! The more, the merrier.

Wait... foot bows? I must read more.:smallsmile:

JasonP
2010-04-12, 02:08 PM
Looking through the index of races there's also the Kenku from Monster Manual 3 which is a small raven like humanoid with no LA.
Also, maybe play it as a druid with the elemental companion acf from Complete Mage and have an air elemental at your service.

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-04-12, 02:12 PM
You could go Sorcerer/Elemental Savant (air) with the Air Bloodline (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Air_Bloodline) feat (as opposed to the cheese that is Bloodlines from UA). It adds some very thematic bonus spells known, plus a thematic restriction which is almost meaningless on which spells you can learn.

KurtKatze
2010-04-12, 02:16 PM
If you stick with the Raptoran idea, go Ranger/Scout, gain the favoured enemies from ranger and through the "melting feat" swift hunter from complete scoundrel you can deal precision based damage to all your favoured enemies making them undead, oozes, plants, elementels and constructs you can "precision-based-damage" them all ;)

Besides: what is more "air style" than a naturally fliying creature? But talk to your dm i wasnt allowed to play a character that can fly without magic most of the time T_T

Flickerdart
2010-04-12, 02:29 PM
Wait... foot bows? I must read more.:smallsmile:
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/raptoran_w_footbow.jpg
It looks like this.

Goldfly
2010-04-12, 02:50 PM
Lesser Air Genasi rogue could work well. +2 Dex and Int, -2 Wis and Cha...
They would make a good Warblade aswell, if you decided to go that way.

Vitruviansquid
2010-04-12, 02:51 PM
Imo, "air" is a very broad theme and you need not pen yourself into a single interpretation of it. Yes, air is stereotypically light and fast, but air could also be an irresistable storm or a lifegiving breath (like the concept of Chi.)

EasilyAmused
2010-04-12, 03:07 PM
I'm totally up for a more philosophical take on "air" - but wasn't sure how to translate it into a tangible character.

On the other hand - Foot bows seem pretty cool. :smallsmile:

Apparently the DM will accept mild cheddar, but full-out cheese is being turned down. Can't blame him, there.

"Air" is so broad. I thought of the dexterity/speed thing first, but if someone were to ponder a sneaky, quiet, attack and vanish like smoke type - I think that would fit as well or a "breath of life" type healer. Air just seemed a little more chaotic in nature to me.

As I said this is me looking for inspiration from the bright minds around here (and you guys have not disappointed! - thanks) Right now the Raptoran is leading in my notes, but that's because I've found a lot of resources online referencing it so far.

WildPyre
2010-04-12, 03:11 PM
For classes I might suggest a few things.

The easiest connection would be a cleric with the "Air" domain. Pretty much a no brainer for wind, if you're looking for a quick and dirty connection.

If you want to move swift as the breeze and kill you enemies just as silently then rogue, scout or ranger are good choices. Toss in a pair of boots of striding and sprinting, or winged boots. Some elvenkind gear isn't a bad idea either.

As for races elf is an easy choice, or looking into some of the elemental tinted races might be a good choice as well.

Chaelos
2010-04-12, 03:12 PM
Half-fey sorcerer. Focus on sonic, lightning and force spells, along with general trickery and deception-themed spells.

It has level adjust, but there are nice rules available to deal with that. See the savage progressions articles. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040213a) It's not cheesy because you're losing two caster levels, which is going to hurt, but for flavor, these things are very cool.

Captain Six
2010-04-12, 03:27 PM
Air is hard because it can mean anything from the thundering heavens, to the silence of wind to music (which itself is a broad topic)

If I had to go with an air theme I would try for Sparrow Hengeyokai (Oriental Adventures), basically you would be a human who could turn into a sparrow (or the other way around depending on how you read it). It fulfills two roles, one the sparrow is a bird, bird=air. Also the sparrow is really freaking small and has an insane hide bonus, which goes with the idea that air is stealth. Stick around in human form most of the time, don't let anyone know you can become a bird. You can then dramatically turn a corner and vanish in the eyes of pursuers, or other similar tricks. Rogue, scout or ninja (players handbook and two from complete adventurer) would be some cool stealth choices. Scout gives bonuses to speed which you mentioned you wanted but ninja really plays up the supernatural stealth aspect, even turning incorporeal at high levels. Also ninja is accepted as lower power than the previous two, balancing out that Sparrow Hengeyokai is a very strong race.

The only downside is +1 LA, but if the DM is flexible push it. They are some very basic ideas, but that's how I make characters, more notions than builds that I get to keep puzzling out as I go.

EasilyAmused
2010-04-12, 03:49 PM
The Half-fey has some glorious fluff and I am really really tempted. But as the only girl in the group and the noob - I just don't think I can bring myself to get that close to the girly-stereotype I'm already fighting. Maybe in a couple of months, but... Good idea though - definitely going in the back pocket.

The Sparrow Hengeyokai idea just went to the DM - I would be allowed to use it if I could go the first three sessions without my comrades realizing I was the sparrow. If they figure it out, sparrow becomes at best a familiar at worst a trained pet. I become human. (DM will make you roleplay to earn advantages - kind of like that so far)

However, he said that ninja was right out for some reason. Equated it to the number five while counting to three.

So I'm still pondering....

RelentlessImp
2010-04-12, 03:59 PM
WARNING, EXTREME CHEESE DETECTED

But seriously, a new player will not and should not jump straight into a White Dragonspawn Dragonwrought Loredrake. The background also contradicts itself. I'd like to see you try and get that past a DM.

Really? Hm. Dragonspawn's an acquired template which means it can also be inherited, so doing it from level 2 isn't that big a deal.

Seriously, though; since it's an acquired template it can be taken in play. I still fail to see the contradiction, however; kobolds have been played up to the point where they're draconic servants (or, at least, can be) - having a kobold come from a warren that is lorded over by a white dragon, who insists the kobolds look like him (and probably has fathered a few) who also teaches them isn't that big a stretch. An adventurer kobold is by definition a few cuts above even Tucker's - making it not that far a stretch that said white dragon probably has a few kobolds that he wants to go out into the world and bring back treasures to increase his hoard, and thus are stronger and more powerful than their kin.

And that's just one way of doing it. Yeesh. Flavor isn't that hard if you think about it for more than thirty seconds.

Back to the OP:

Air theme has lots of things going for it. Druid into Stormlord, for instance, while not a very powerful combination, is still an interesting option.

Druid 3/Wizard 3/Arcane Hierophant 10/Mystic Theurge 4 gets you dual 9s by level 20, and you can stock up on all the naturey and arcane spells that call lightning and thunder - just theme your spell list a bit.

Even a Cleric of an Air God with the Air domain and another based on the theme you want to convey (Travel, Chaos, Sun) wouldn't be a bad choice. Shaundaukar from FR is my personal favorite for a deity for this kind of character - if you'll excuse the pun, it's a very "free as the wind" type of character.

Critical
2010-04-12, 04:06 PM
Wind/Air includes lightning, right? Then, Stormwrack might be a good source of inspiration, also a Binder with a vestige which allows lightning bolt throwing (Can't remember the name).

Volthawk
2010-04-12, 04:07 PM
If you go Raptoran, they have Sorcerer racial levels where their familiar is an air elemental.

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-04-12, 04:19 PM
The feat "Born of Three Thunders" might also be of interest...

Magnor Criol
2010-04-12, 04:30 PM
I played a genie with the genie monster class progression from Savage Species for a decently-long game, and had a blast with it. They're beings of air, so it fits the theme, and their stats are suited to the mobility theme, too. And the monster class progression thing lets you do it from level 1 and progress in power with the party.

The main problem is that you won't be taking class levels, just "monster levels," so you won't get new class features. You also won't gain HD on a level-for-level basis like your cohorts (it's spread out roughly 2 levels per 1 HD) so things like your HP and saves won't rise as fast as theirs, and you don't get new feats as often.

To counterbalance that, however, as an outsider you have all good saves, rogue skill points, and a huge slew of fun special abilities. And Perfect-maneuverability flight, which is excellent, and can be incredibly useful. They spread out their special abilities enough that when I was doing it, I didn't feel left behind or like I was being shortchanged in the "Fun stuff to do" department compared to my class-leveled buddies.

It won't be the most powerful option, of course. But it's a lot of fun, and there's a lot of flavor you can inject playing a genie (why are you, native to the plane of air, traveling on the material plane, for starters).

Flickerdart
2010-04-12, 04:42 PM
You can also just take the Air Elemental progression. They have an absolutely insane flight speed and some nifty special attacks, though it'd be harder to justify than Genie.

EasilyAmused
2010-04-12, 04:48 PM
I'll be away from the screen for a bit, but in the meantime, I'm going to look at the Half-fey, the sparrow, the genie and the raptoran ideas, to see what references I can find and what I might be able to do with the fluff to make them fit.

If anyone has ideas tonight, please feel free to keep adding - creation won't be until late next week so all the ideas that come long before then are extremely welcome!

You guys rock!

goken04
2010-04-12, 05:38 PM
I'll be away from the screen for a bit, but in the meantime, I'm going to look at the Half-fey, the sparrow, the genie and the raptoran ideas, to see what references I can find and what I might be able to do with the fluff to make them fit.

If anyone has ideas tonight, please feel free to keep adding - creation won't be until late next week so all the ideas that come long before then are extremely welcome!

You guys rock!

I throw my vote in for the Sparrow Hengeyokai and I say making him/her a bard would be pretty awesome.

Optimystik
2010-04-12, 05:40 PM
I throw my vote in for the Sparrow Hengeyokai and I say making him/her a bard would be pretty awesome.

Or a Warlock, with that one feat from Savage Species that allows for somatic components in nonhumanoid forms.

Personally, I recommend a character I once played - Cleric/Monk/Sacred Fist with Air and Travel domains.

Yorrin
2010-04-12, 05:53 PM
"The Sparrow" as you're calling him got a 3.5 update where he no longer has any LA, but his type changed to Humanoid with a shapechanger subtype. It's my favorite of the options I've heard for you so far.

And now for something completely different- Warlock. It needs quite a bit of reflavoring, obviously. But call your Eldrich Blast a gust of strong wind (get repelling blast when appropriate) and say your power is derived from the elemental lords of air. Grab Fell Flight as early as level 6. If your DM allows Dragonfire Adept invocations there's even a least invocation that copies Gust of Wind.

EDIT: ninja'd by Optimystik... he has a great idea about using invocations in sparrow form, though. Toss in Retributive Invisibility at higher levels and you hit hard and fast out of nowhere, like the wind itself.

taltamir
2010-04-12, 06:19 PM
ideas:
1. Air magic: sorcerer... you already mentioned you don't want avatar last airbender style so that is probably out

2. [Air] Creature or half-creature... what happens when a man has sex with the wind (elemental wind?)? Air Genasi thats what. and they can make excellent characters who are not focused on air bending. Also makes for hilarious family reunions. For a full blooded one you can play a slyph... aint they just adorable?

3. Air type "personality"... the op suggested a fast rogue... a "1000 cuts" style "monk" (thats unarmed swordsage just to be clear who calls himself a monk instead of the above).

4. Flying creature. Raptoran is an excellent +0 LA race thats way too powerful for what they get... which is free non magical flight. Many others would work...

... damn.. I just looked through previous posts and saw every single one of my ideas has been ninjah!
ok, lets get more creative...

5. Cleric with Air domain.

6. Any class and race who worships a deity of air creatures and is very devoted to them. (think the elemental cults from temple of elemental evil... the bugbears and trolls of the air temple were just regular bugbears and trolls)
EDIT: Wow... i got creative by stealing an idea from a CRPG... i fail :P

Escheton
2010-04-13, 09:17 AM
Tasloi skydiver. Bard, speallthief, rogue or scout
tasloi are a small race kinda like halflings and goblins, they live up trees in forests and have a natural climbspeed.
Now think of one with a speer, 2 javelins(lightning charged later) and a net, maxed out tumble and jump with those foldable wings from one of the fearunbooks.
Nonmagical featherfall that unfurls automagically when you drop more then 60ft.(?).
Less would be fixed with jump and tumble...

EasilyAmused
2010-04-13, 11:17 AM
Thank you all so much!
The DM's letting me go with a Sparrow Hengeyokai (love the race, hate trying to spell it) Warlock. Since the rest of the party is a Cleric (earth - dwarf), a Fighter (fire - dragonborn) and a Rogue (water - doppelganger [homebrewed]) - this makes me the go-to spellcaster. Any thoughts on that progression?

I thought that since so many great ideas came out about race/class that while I had your attention, "air" spells could be discussed? Or do I need a new thread for that?:smallredface:

Thanks again all! (I've ordered a PDF of Dragon 318 - Hengeyokai updated to 3.5 - to pull stats)

Captain Six
2010-04-13, 04:02 PM
Warlocks are better seen as magic archers than mages. You get some self buffs but it is in now way the utility expected from arcane casters. If you want to go the magical route check out Complete Mage which has Eldritch Theurge and Eldritch Disciple, combing the Warlock class with either arcane or divine spellcasting. Complete Mage also has a lot of new invocations which are more Fey-pact/nature inspired, while Complete Arcane focuses on Fiend-pact/dark-magic powers. The "speak with animals" invocation would go great with a animal shapeshifter, I took it myself as a cat hengeyokai (though it made it harder to hunt for mice that could plea for their life :smallfrown: ).

Also run by your DM if you can get the Natural Spell altered so that you can use warlock invocations or spells in sparrow form. Possibly game-breaking because it's so tiny, but really awesome.

Edit: Sparrow Yokai is a way to shorten the mouthful of the race name. Henge just specifies shapeshifter and isn't really needed. Yokai itself is hard to translate, it's a very broad term for japanese mythological creatures. You could also go even farther and call yourself a Sparrow. My cat hengeyokai insisted that she was just an ordinary cat with the power to turn into a person, no different than a human who learns to polymorph. Humans don't change their species name so why should a cat? It also helped eliminate the oriental feel about the race which often doesn't fit into campaign settings.

JasonP
2010-04-13, 07:12 PM
Also you may want to see if you can take some of the Dragonfire Adept's Invocations (same system as Warlock Invocations) from Dragon Magic, specifically Scalding Gust, Breath of the Night, Chilling Fog, and maybe Wingstorm (see if your DM will allow your sparrow wings to qualify for this, maybe even only being able to use it in sparrow form since it normally has the draconic flight invocation as a requirement). These could be really fun for air flavor.

EasilyAmused
2010-04-13, 08:47 PM
Those sound awesome - I'm researching right now to see if I can haggle my DM into at least some of them - thematically they are spot on for what I was looking for. Thanks!

Captain Six: Sparrow Yokai is so much easier - my typing fingers thank you. And as this is most definitely not an Eastern-inspired setting, I will definitely take your advice about fluffing the origins. Your "ordinary cat" was a stroke of brilliance.:smallsmile: