PDA

View Full Version : [DnD 4.0] Self-inflicted elemental damage?

Voice of Reason
2010-04-12, 01:01 PM
Backround information:
A group of mine is putting together new characters at 11th level. To spare you all the boring monolgoue, suffice it to say that I wish to abuse the feat found in the Dragonborn race suppliment that allows your breath weapon to recharge if you take elemental damage of the same type as your breath weapon. The same feat also makes it an arcane spell. I was thinking to myself that since Dragon Breath hits all creatures in the area, he could use the Arcane Reach(?) or Hurl Breath feat to include himself in the attack, taking the proper damage to refresh his breath weapon again immediately, thus allowing for a nigh infinite chain of breath weapon attacks. However, this results in a lot of damage to the character. Resistance can mitigate some/most of the damage, but it can't stop it all or the feat won't trigger. Therefore, I'm looking into using a renewable source of temporary HP to further reduce my net damage. A Battlerager or hybrid Battlerager can do the job decently, but it reduces the build's effectiveness, and requires a large investment into the con modifier. Thus, my question below.

Are there any feats, magic items, or paragon paths that allow a character to gain temporary HP every time they either hit with or are hit by an elemental attack? How about any other means of repeatedly gaining temporary HP without using a power or base class feature?

Thanks in advance for your help with this rather strange question.

LibraryOgre
2010-04-12, 02:11 PM
Backround information:
A group of mine is putting together new characters at 11th level. To spare you all the boring monolgoue, suffice it to say that I wish to abuse the feat found in the Dragonborn race suppliment that allows your breath weapon to recharge if you take elemental damage of the same type as your breath weapon. The same feat also makes it an arcane spell. I was thinking to myself that since Dragon Breath hits all creatures in the area, he could use the Arcane Reach(?) or Hurl Breath feat to include himself in the attack, taking the proper damage to refresh his breath weapon again immediately, thus allowing for a nigh infinite chain of breath weapon attacks. However, this results in a lot of damage to the character. Resistance can mitigate some/most of the damage, but it can't stop it all or the feat won't trigger. Therefore, I'm looking into using a renewable source of temporary HP to further reduce my net damage. A Battlerager or hybrid Battlerager can do the job decently, but it reduces the build's effectiveness, and requires a large investment into the con modifier. Thus, my question below.

Are there any feats, magic items, or paragon paths that allow a character to gain temporary HP every time they either hit with or are hit by an elemental attack? How about any other means of repeatedly gaining temporary HP without using a power or base class feature?

Thanks in advance for your help with this rather strange question.

There is a deva or deva heritage feat that gives you Temporary HP each time you take Fire or Cold damage. I'd have to look at my character sheet to tell you its name, though.

Kesnit
2010-04-12, 05:33 PM
There is a deva or deva heritage feat that gives you Temporary HP each time you take Fire or Cold damage. I'd have to look at my character sheet to tell you its name, though.

The OP is a Dragonborn.

Gralamin
2010-04-12, 05:45 PM
The OP is a Dragonborn.

Its a deva Heritage feat though - which means a non Deva can take it.

The feat is called Heavenly Heritage, and can be found in Dragon 374 and is based of Wisdom. There is also Radiant Recovery (Same article), which does the same for Radiant damage, but based off constitution.

Voice of Reason
2010-04-13, 12:21 AM
A two-feat investment is a little steep, but I may end up going with that. Thanks for the suggestion!

Hal
2010-04-13, 09:07 AM
There is also Radiant Recovery (Same article), which does the same for Radiant damage, but based off constitution.

This makes me wonder if there is a way to get Radiant/Necrotic damage for dragonbreath.

Oooh, those could be fun characters.

Voice of Reason
2010-04-13, 11:33 AM
This makes me wonder if there is a way to get Radiant/Necrotic damage for dragonbreath.

There's a feat in the dragonborn supplement that makes your breath weapon an arcane attack spell. At paragon tier, you can take a feat called Arcane Admixture that allows you to add a damage type to one of your arcane powers.

Mando Knight
2010-04-13, 12:49 PM

Divine Dragonborn get Radiant Breath, a feat that adds Radiant to Dragon Breath. Thundering Breath adds Thunder to Lightning breath, and Revenant Dragonborn get Draconic Reaping to add Necrotic to any element of breath. Necrotic's a rather weak element for PCs to use, though.