PDA

View Full Version : Lipstick - a translation from a male friend of mine.

dogmac
2010-04-12, 08:12 PM
I mentioned casually to my mate Brett that I didn't have any red lipstick on me today so I thought I would wear dark brown lipstick tonight. (on my way to the worlds greatest post-shave party where I am hoping to pick up cute, socially aware bald blokes)

He put me right.

I had no idea there was so much message in lipstick.

What brown means:

"Hi, my name is Di. I may say I'm going to rock your world, but as my brown lipstick shows you, I'm not really putting any effort into this at all, you caught me on my way home from work. I was actually here for a quick pint with my mates, but accidentally walked into the wrong room."

Further translation:

Dark red = slightly slutty = ok.
Bright red = slutty = can be ok if looking for **** buddy, not so much if you want to be taken seriously.
Brown = can't be bothered trying, more interested in what the girls at work think of me than you do.

and finally

tho allowances for clothing colour and eye colour must be made re the shade of red. Brown = always bad.

So there you go. Looks like I'm buying some dark red lipstick at lunch.

Thank goodness for male friends to translate, eh?

golentan
2010-04-12, 08:21 PM

What? I have never heard of this. Ever. I've never interpreted it that way. I've never made judgements about a person by the pigment on their skin. Short of purple/black/green lipstick, which is generally implicit of specific groups in my area, but then I just say "Oh, they're with those guys" rather then "That means they have such and such personality traits."

Methinks your friend is overreading...

Fiery Diamond
2010-04-12, 08:42 PM

What? I have never heard of this. Ever. I've never interpreted it that way. I've never made judgements about a person by the pigment on their skin. Short of purple/black/green lipstick, which is generally implicit of specific groups in my area, but then I just say "Oh, they're with those guys" rather then "That means they have such and such personality traits."

Methinks your friend is overreading...

Yeah, I'm gonna agree with this.

Of course, it's entirely possible that in Australia lipstick is a magic secret code that the rest of the world doesn't know about. I get the impression that Australia is like that sometimes.

Jarian
2010-04-12, 08:44 PM
Of course, it's entirely possible that in Australia lipstick is a magic secret code that the rest of the world doesn't know about. I get the impression that Australia is like that sometimes.

Australia: You come for our accent, you stay for our underground lipstick culture.

Starscream
2010-04-12, 08:49 PM
I thought it just signified what flavor of lollipop you just ate.

Always thought it was weird that the cosmetics industry has products specifically to allow you to simulate post-candy-consumption. Then again, there's also that blue stuff they sell for your eyelids so you look like you got punched, and that pink stuff for your cheeks that simulates a bad case of Rosacea.

Flickerdart
2010-04-12, 08:51 PM
There's brown lipstick? Weird.

ForzaFiori
2010-04-12, 08:53 PM

Always thought it was weird that the cosmetics industry has products specifically to allow you to simulate post-candy-consumption. Then again, there's also that blue stuff they sell for your eyelids so you look like you got punched, and that pink stuff for your cheeks that simulates a bad case of Rosacea.

I believe those are called Eye shadow and blush.

The only reason I know that is because I used to act. when your on stage, EVERYONE wears basic makeup. (base, lipstick, eye-liner/mascara, and sometimes blush) If you don't, you can't see a person's face (instead, you just see a skin shaped blob if your more than 3ish rows back.

Lioness
2010-04-12, 09:19 PM
I wear either bright or dark pink, depending on the mood I'm in, the makeup I'm wearing, and clothes I'm wearing.

No hidden culture for me, except that lipstick = no kisses from BF, because he doesn't want to mess up my makeup.

Sneak
2010-04-12, 09:56 PM
As others have pointed out, your mate is pretty much full of ****.

St.Sinner
2010-04-13, 12:37 AM
I wonder what no lipstick translates to - that's the only look I ever sport. What hidden underground subtext am I transmitting?

potatocubed
2010-04-13, 02:22 AM
I guess that depends what colour your lips are.

Mr White
2010-04-13, 04:05 AM

A blue color with a hint of purple would then mean that you're somewhat of an ice queen?

GolemsVoice
2010-04-13, 04:14 AM
A blue color with a hint of purple would then mean that you're somewhat of an ice queen?

Or dead, which is the most hardcore form of playing hard-to-get.

Well, I can see why bright red could be associated with sexualtiy, but only if the woman in question acted the part. If not? I don't see any problem, and I've never heard of any secret codes in lipstick.

Delta
2010-04-13, 04:18 AM
What? I have never heard of this. Ever.

This.

The only lipstick my girlfriend even owns is black one, which she wore about 2 or 3 times in all the years I've been with her, each time for a larp game.

shadow_archmagi
2010-04-13, 06:06 AM
RED LIPS: I am wearing lipstick
BLUE LIPS: I have hypothermia and or am suffocating
PLAID LIPS: I kissed a lumberjack.

This is the only code I live by.

thubby
2010-04-13, 06:23 AM
i find cosmetics as a whole to be rather goofy. why do women torture themselves, WHY?!?

Castaras
2010-04-13, 06:51 AM
i find cosmetics as a whole to be rather goofy. why do women torture themselves, WHY?!?

Beats me. I seem to be a strange person for having never used makeup - and only used nail polish once (when my friends dragged me round to their room on holiday and did my nails for me). And for not liking wearing skirts or dresses. And for not burning my hair with straighteners. :smallconfused:

potatocubed
2010-04-13, 06:57 AM
And for not burning my hair with straighteners.

Be a real woman! Burn your hair with FIRE. :smalltongue:

Castaras
2010-04-13, 06:59 AM
When in doubt, pyromania is the way to go.

Mauve Shirt
2010-04-13, 07:08 AM
When I wear lipstick, which is pretty much never, I wear a dark dull red, or whatever pink my roommate picks out for me. She's a makeup expert.

HellfireLover
2010-04-13, 07:29 AM
It seems, rather implausibly, that I am a drag queen born into a fale body. I like makeup (and am wearing sparkly purple and bright pink eye makeup.)

What does it say about me that my lipstick today is translucent red and tastes like black forest gateau??

Lioness
2010-04-13, 07:32 AM

Because when worn well, they cover up unsightly blemishes (if I have low self-confidence that day), emphasise the eyes, and smooth out the entire complexion.
When not worn well, they look absolutely ridiculous, but that's beside the point.

Basically, on my off days, makes me feel much better about myself. None of this 'oh look, a mountain just exploded on my cheek' or 'looks like my eyes have decided to hide back in their sockets today' sort of thing.

And it's not that much torture...I have immense fun figuring out how to wear most of my makeup. Mum never taught me, and I'm the oldest girl -.-

Amiel
2010-04-13, 07:37 AM
Speaking of which, "traditional clothes" are so incredibly last season, pyjamas is where it's at.

While lipstick is alright to look at, it makes snogging kinda messing; a girl's natural lip colour is both more radiant and also more beautiful.

Capt Spanner
2010-04-13, 07:48 AM
I think your friend is overreading.

Because when worn well, they cover up unsightly blemishes (if I have low self-confidence that day), emphasise the eyes, and smooth out the entire complexion.
When not worn well, they look absolutely ridiculous, but that's beside the point.

Basically, on my off days, makes me feel much better about myself. None of this 'oh look, a mountain just exploded on my cheek' or 'looks like my eyes have decided to hide back in their sockets today' sort of thing.

And it's not that much torture...I have immense fun figuring out how to wear most of my makeup. Mum never taught me, and I'm the oldest girl -.-

I like to think of make-up like punctuation. (Face = prose).

A well written piece of prose doesn't need any punctuation, save for a full stop. This is like not wearing make up.

Well used punctuation isn't ever noticed by the reader, but subtly emphasises the parts you want emphasised while downplaying the parts you want to downplay.

Badly used punctuation makes people spend more time looking at the punctuation then the actual prose underneath (i.e. if you do your make up badly you can undo all your natural gifts.)

This beats the "face=canvas, make-up=paint" used by some people I know...

Lioness
2010-04-13, 07:50 AM
Arkady: I like it. The English nerd in me likes it a lot more. Unfortunately I was blessed with only mediocre prose, and it is in need of a little extra punctuation.

Dust
2010-04-13, 07:52 AM
While I'm also of the camp that lipstick shades meaning anything special is a load of ****, I've got at least two close friends who feel otherwise.

One of them refuses to date women who use colored eyeliner, thinking it signifies manipulativeness.

One of them has the same...I'm going to say problem...as the OP's friend and believes lipstick hues can help them determine personality traits.

It's ridiculous.

Lioness
2010-04-13, 07:54 AM
...Well, guess I'll be sticking to black and white eyeliner from now on...

/jk

If I happen to be wearing a colour of clothing that I have a matching eyeliner in, then I'll wear the eyeliner. All there is to it.

Amiel
2010-04-13, 07:59 AM
There's also the argument that make-up really does nothing special for one's appearance; occasionally, it even worsens the skin condition, blemish, acne or whathaveyou.

The true manipulators here are the drug companies who wish to profit irrespective of ethical considerations (animal testing) or norms of beauty. I find natural beauty inconceivably more attractive than someone who looks like they were hit in the face with a make-up mop.

Lioness
2010-04-13, 08:05 AM
It does worsen it in the longterm...I was cursed with my father's skin. I wear it occasionally, when I'm going out somewhere nice or when I'm feeling particularly down. I dread to think what my skin would be like if I wore it every day.

thubby
2010-04-13, 09:01 AM
It does worsen it in the longterm...I was cursed with my father's skin. I wear it occasionally, when I'm going out somewhere nice or when I'm feeling particularly down. I dread to think what my skin would be like if I wore it every day.

in light of this, I move that the axiom be changed to compare makeup to drugs. :smalltongue:

bluewind95
2010-04-13, 09:57 AM
There are, I believe, certain theories... that the colors worn by people do in fact hint at certain traits or moods. Nowhere near as clear-cut as what your friend implies, and it's just a trend, nothing definite... but the theory is there, and applies not only to makeup but also clothes. Darker colors, for example, seem to carry the implication that the wearer wishes to blend in and not stand out. Hide, perhaps. Said to carry implications of depression, too. Bright colors seem to mean "look at me!" and generally are associated with cheerfulness. Red is a strange color. It's bright, but it's not so much associated with cheerfulness as it is with sensuality. A study was made (can't remember when or where) but there was somewhat of a trend that women were found to be more "attractive" while wearing red and were treated differently.

There is some merit to the thought that colors one wears may tell something about the wearer... but it's just slight cues. Not huge personality things. And it doesn't always hold true. After all, there's many other variables that contribute to what one wears. I'm wearing yellow right now. Color that's considered very cheerful. I'm depressed as all hell and only picked the yellow because I'd worn the green yesterday and was intending to wear dark-blue-and-green and dark-blue-and-green goes with yellow better than with grey.

HellfireLover
2010-04-13, 10:50 AM
It's not always the case that wearing makeup worsens skin. It can exacerbate certain conditions, but equally it provides a barrier against sun damage. It all depends on what and how you're wearing - I've recently transitioned to mineral makeup, which is great for me. So, ymmv.

Mystic Muse
2010-04-13, 11:11 AM
When I read the title I thought of this for some reason. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTokqeL7sOU

denthor
2010-04-13, 11:17 AM
RED LIPS: I am wearing lipstick
BLUE LIPS: I have hypothermia and or am suffocating
PLAID LIPS: I kissed a lumberjack.

This is the only code I live by.

You kiss lumberjacks???:eek:

golentan
2010-04-13, 11:40 AM

And he's okay.

I mean honestly, who doesn't?

Mystic Muse
2010-04-13, 11:43 AM
And he's okay.

I mean honestly, who doesn't?

me. but then, I don't kiss anybody.

Zevox
2010-04-13, 12:07 PM

Yeah, pretty much this. I've always thought that all kinds of makeup just look weird at best, repulsive at worst. Can't imagine why some people think it makes them look better in any way.

Anyway, add me to the list of people who thinks that assigning traits to someone based on the color lipstick they're wearing is utter nonsense.

Zevox

Kneenibble
2010-04-13, 12:11 PM
I am biting my tongue so hard right now not to make self-deprecating jokes about brown lipstick that it's bleeding.

So what does dried blood as lipstick signify?

Nameless
2010-04-13, 12:15 PM
So what does dried blood as lipstick signify?

Slight vampirism?

Mystic Muse
2010-04-13, 12:30 PM
Slight vampirism?

and dried blood with sparkles indicates Twipirism.

Nameless
2010-04-13, 12:37 PM
*Tips a bucket of glitter over Kneen*
Oh my God! He's a vegetarian vampire!

Kneenibble
2010-04-13, 12:46 PM
*Tips a bucket of glitter over Kneen*
Oh my God! He's a vegetarian vampire!

That's right baby, I only feed on coma patients.

Nameless
2010-04-13, 12:49 PM
That's right baby, I only feed on coma patients.

And I only feed on dead ones. Does that make me a vegan? :smalltongue:

Mystic Muse
2010-04-13, 12:54 PM
And I only feed on dead ones. Does that make me a vegan? :smalltongue:

NOOOO!

we're not making another vegatarian thread..:smallannoyed:

Superglucose
2010-04-13, 01:14 PM
Yeah, pretty much this. I've always thought that all kinds of makeup just look weird at best, repulsive at worst. Can't imagine why some people think it makes them look better in any way.
I do have this to say: Sometimes makeup is extremely attractive, but only when it's done as art. Kind of a weird thing to say, I know, but in my mind it's similar to tattoos. Using makeup to cover up slight blemishes? Eh. Using makeup to make your face look subtly different? Sign me up!

It's a very fine line and it's hard for me to describe the difference because it comes down to a gut feeling, but I for one really like unusual colors of mascara (sometimes) and sometimes like thick lines of eyeliner.

I'm never really into lipstick at all unless it's forming a stark contrast, i.e. black on a very pale face or gold on a very dark face. Red isn't my thing at all.

In short, I don't like it as a "touch up" thing, but if you're making a statement with your makeup I'm much more inclined to actively like it rather than actively dislike it.

I do remember a story at Ski Camp during my junior year of high school. A girl named Anna came down from the girl's dorm, and as dumb as I am I said the first thing that came to mind.

"Wow, you look really nice!"

Her reaction was, "Ewwww... no I don't! I just got out of the shower and I don't have any makeup on at all."

Zevox
2010-04-13, 03:27 PM
I do have this to say: Sometimes makeup is extremely attractive, but only when it's done as art. Kind of a weird thing to say, I know, but in my mind it's similar to tattoos.
Yeah, I don't like those either, personally. Actually, in general, I probably like tattoos a lot less than makeup.

Zevox

shadow_archmagi
2010-04-13, 03:36 PM

No. This is what I assume about OTHER people when I see them with those colors.

Lumberjacks are far too...

Canadian.

The Glyphstone
2010-04-13, 04:26 PM
What if you have one lip in bright red and the other in brown lipstick?

Superglucose
2010-04-13, 04:35 PM
It means you're slutty, but only with the girls at the office.

Mystic Muse
2010-04-13, 05:19 PM
It means you're slutty, but only with the girls at the office.

hmm.

nah, too easy.

Fawkes
2010-04-13, 05:30 PM
I'm a firm believer in the concept that women wear makeup primarily to look good for other women.

Partly because if you don't understand it properly, it's kinda hot. :smalltongue:

Winthur
2010-04-13, 05:54 PM
Sounds like there are a lot of things about lipsticks...
*glasses*
...to make up.

Fawkes
2010-04-13, 06:43 PM
Sounds like there are a lot of things about lipsticks...
*glasses*
...to make up.

http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/2845/yeahno.jpg

ForzaFiori
2010-04-13, 06:51 PM
I do have this to say: Sometimes makeup is extremely attractive, but only when it's done as art. Kind of a weird thing to say, I know, but in my mind it's similar to tattoos. Using makeup to cover up slight blemishes? Eh. Using makeup to make your face look subtly different? Sign me up!

It's a very fine line and it's hard for me to describe the difference because it comes down to a gut feeling, but I for one really like unusual colors of mascara (sometimes) and sometimes like thick lines of eyeliner.

I'm never really into lipstick at all unless it's forming a stark contrast, i.e. black on a very pale face or gold on a very dark face. Red isn't my thing at all.

In short, I don't like it as a "touch up" thing, but if you're making a statement with your makeup I'm much more inclined to actively like it rather than actively dislike it.

I do remember a story at Ski Camp during my junior year of high school. A girl named Anna came down from the girl's dorm, and as dumb as I am I said the first thing that came to mind.

Her reaction was, "Ewwww... no I don't! I just got out of the shower and I don't have any makeup on at all."

Part of me is like this. But I also see why it can be used for blemishes. I mean heck, I'm a guy, and I hate going around with a zit on my forehead and crap. If I wouldn't take crap for it, on certain occasions I would probably do it (IE, that one zit that always appears right before your taking the really hot girl on a date).

Making a statement with makeup also can look nice, as long as your statement isn't "I look like a clown today" or "I look like a prostitute today". Using it to enhance already spectacular facial features is also very pretty.

So yea... I pretty much like every kind of makeup (including none) as long as it doesn't just look completely ridiculous.
I also hate it when chicks think that they can't look good without makeup though.

AtomicKitKat
2010-04-13, 09:12 PM
AKK's totally biased opinion on "what looks good": Never EVER wear dark eyeshadow under the eyes unless it's absolutely black, or you're doing Old Egypt, or both. It makes you look like you didn't get enough sleep(or punched). Thick eyelashes(mascara or extensions) are okay, to a certain limit. If your eyes suddenly look like they've lost 1/4 of their height, that's too much. Blush should never be red enough to look like you got belted in the cheeks(ie, 2 shades pinker than your natural skin tone, or your foundation, is about the limit). Dresses. Empire-cut (the one where there's a narrowing just under the boobs, I think) may look okay, but know what length to go to. Baby-doll is alright(but usually paired with shorts as they may be too short otherwise), but anything lower than about mid-thigh, and you start to look like you're hiding a pregnancy(or jelly-belly fat). One way to counter that is a small(about 1-2 inches wide) belt, so that it separates the waist/hip area.

Of course, all of the above is directed at females. If you're male, the more the merrier.:smalltongue:

St.Sinner
2010-04-13, 09:28 PM

They're... well, lip-colour.

Fiery Diamond
2010-04-13, 09:49 PM
There are, I believe, certain theories... that the colors worn by people do in fact hint at certain traits or moods. Nowhere near as clear-cut as what your friend implies, and it's just a trend, nothing definite... but the theory is there, and applies not only to makeup but also clothes. Darker colors, for example, seem to carry the implication that the wearer wishes to blend in and not stand out. Hide, perhaps. Said to carry implications of depression, too. Bright colors seem to mean "look at me!" and generally are associated with cheerfulness. Red is a strange color. It's bright, but it's not so much associated with cheerfulness as it is with sensuality. A study was made (can't remember when or where) but there was somewhat of a trend that women were found to be more "attractive" while wearing red and were treated differently.

There is some merit to the thought that colors one wears may tell something about the wearer... but it's just slight cues. Not huge personality things. And it doesn't always hold true. After all, there's many other variables that contribute to what one wears. I'm wearing yellow right now. Color that's considered very cheerful. I'm depressed as all hell and only picked the yellow because I'd worn the green yesterday and was intending to wear dark-blue-and-green and dark-blue-and-green goes with yellow better than with grey.

I find this very amusing. I have a female friend who frequently wears a black trenchcoat along with bright pink and white accessories, carrying a rainbow-colored umbrella, wearing a cat ear headband, a dog collar, and random-colored dyed hair (anything from black to blue to purple to red to green to orange to...yeah). I wonder what people would think of her using these guidelines.

She's actually a pretty cool person.

Krade
2010-04-13, 09:56 PM
I always assumed red lipstick meant you were a clown (http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=fashion).
(Warning: Link contains adult language)
Scroll sown to the second 'tip' to get the part about red lipstick.

Syka
2010-04-13, 10:13 PM
Yeah, I don't like those either, personally. Actually, in general, I probably like tattoos a lot less than makeup.

Zevox

I prefer tattoo's to make up. I rarely wear make up. Occasionally I'll use concealer if I have a horrible pimple and am going out (by horrible, I mean huge and red and by going out, I mean an actual fancy event I need to attend), if I feel like it and am wearing contacts I'll wear eye shadow (only browns/golds and maybe pale pinks), and pretty much nothing else. I have fallen in love with nail polish, though. My collection has like 3 different shades of red, dark blue, black, and a dark violet purple. Also a pale beigeish-pink but that's only for work.

But tattoo's? I love my tattoo and want more. :) I love seeing other people's and finding out the stories (serious or not) and just admiring the work. I so can't wait for Oz to get his two shoulder pieces that he wants...but that'll be a while. I'm currently planning my second, to be gotten when I get my Masters next year.

bluewind95
2010-04-13, 10:57 PM
I find this very amusing. I have a female friend who frequently wears a black trenchcoat along with bright pink and white accessories, carrying a rainbow-colored umbrella, wearing a cat ear headband, a dog collar, and random-colored dyed hair (anything from black to blue to purple to red to green to orange to...yeah). I wonder what people would think of her using these guidelines.

She has an inner conflict on whether she wants to stand out or hide? :smalltongue:

Though personally, I'd more assume she might be a bit more on the extroverted side than introverted. Or introverted wanting to seem extroverted. But I would not think she would tend to be introverted and acting introverted. But that's just the tendencies that I have personally noticed in people. And while I would think there's a higher chance of her meeting the "expectations", I wouldn't be surprised if she didn't. Appearances tell nothing for certain. They just up the chances of the person maybe being some way. It's like... a shiny penny. You might assume, at first glance only, that it's new. But it could very well be an old penny someone cleaned. I think it's just natural of many people to want to be able to categorize things. And when we don't know the person, we only have their looks to categorize them with. The important thing is to make sure these categories aren't fixed, but rather flexible. If you think that at first glance someone seems to be X way, it's important to be able to recognize, as soon as you get more information, that said person might not be X way, but rather N way, and not stubbornly believe that they're X way and that's all there is to it.

TheThan
2010-04-13, 11:10 PM
Arkady: I like it. The English nerd in me likes it a lot more. Unfortunately I was blessed with only mediocre prose, and it is in need of a little extra punctuation.

It also makes perfect sense. When done well, makeup enhances a woman’s facial features and is unnoticeable. When not worn well, it just distracts from the face.

Simply put red lipstick is designed to attract attention, usually from guys, but sometimes from girls (jealousy). Browns, because it’s naturally a more subdued color than red, doesn’t stand out and therefore doesn’t attract attention.

Also the guy in Krade’s link is pretty dead on. While us guys tend have no idea about women’s fashion, we do tend to have an eye on what looks good on people. Just because something is cute or purple or has a witty saying doesn’t mean it’ll look good on you. Unless your male friends are total slobs or are worried about hurting your feelings; we’re a good place to go to get advice on what looks good on you. Just make sure we know you want their honest opinion, as guys get tripped up trying to figure out what your hidden agenda is (which means we’re likely to lie, if we think it'll keep us out of trouble).

Unfortunately for you girls, guys tend to hate shopping for clothes, which means getting us to go shopping with you is going to be a bit hard.

Mystic Muse
2010-04-13, 11:19 PM
Unfortunately for you girls, guys tend to hate shopping for clothes, which means getting us to go shopping with you is going to be a bit hard.

you can pay us or have it count as a favor though. We like Money and dragging you to our D&D games.:smalltongue:

Coidzor
2010-04-13, 11:31 PM
^: Clarifying Statement: We like bribery. It is as simple as that. It is so ingrained in us that many male-female relationships have an entire entrenched section to their being revolving around the bribery etiquette.

There's brown lipstick? Weird.

My gut reaction was "EWW." To be perfectly honest.

What on earth is the point of brown lipstick of all things? I can understand why people might like interesting colors, even if it runs counter to the goal of seeming semi-aroused in order to appear more attractive, but BROWN? I just don't even understand why one would have it on one's person.

...Does it even coordinate with brown business wear? :smallconfused:
Edit:

No hidden culture for me, except that lipstick = no kisses from BF, because he doesn't want to mess up my makeup.

What, you train him with violence not to? :smallconfused: Heck, half the fun of being a BF is to mess up one's SO's grooming. Or at least girlfriends' grooming.

Or dead, which is the most hardcore form of playing hard-to-get.

On the other hand...:smallwink: Dead chicks can't say no.:smallyuk:

I think your friend is overreading.

I like to think of make-up like punctuation. (Face = prose).

A well written piece of prose doesn't need any punctuation, save for a full stop. This is like not wearing make up.

Well used punctuation isn't ever noticed by the reader, but subtly emphasises the parts you want emphasised while downplaying the parts you want to downplay.

Badly used punctuation makes people spend more time looking at the punctuation then the actual prose underneath (i.e. if you do your make up badly you can undo all your natural gifts.)

This beats the "face=canvas, make-up=paint" used by some people I know...

Part of me wants to sig-link this.

Moisturize, Moisturize, Moisturize!

potatocubed
2010-04-14, 03:34 AM
What on earth is the point of brown lipstick of all things? I can understand why people might like interesting colors, even if it runs counter to the goal of seeming semi-aroused in order to appear more attractive, but BROWN? I just don't even understand why one would have it on one's person.

A woman once explained it to me and it made sense then, but I forgot what she said.

Also, there are brown people.

Capt Spanner
2010-04-14, 07:59 AM

I believe these two paragraphs to be tautological. I mean, she wears a black trenchcoat and then loads of bright colours. I can she NOT be cool?

If touch up is done well you wouldn't even notice it's there. (See the theory of punctuation).

I never understood this reaction from women. I guess it must be a confidence thing for some of them. If I do get that reaction I normally say "No really, I'm pretty good at knowing what I think looks nice. You. Look. Really. Nice."
At this point they usually call me a sleaze and walk off. :smallannoyed:

Comet
2010-04-14, 08:07 AM
I never understood this reaction from women. I guess it must be a confidence thing for some of them. If I do get that reaction I normally say "No really, I'm pretty good at knowing what I think looks nice. You. Look. Really. Nice."

You're supposed to say "Oh, right. Sorry, my bad, I thought you looked halfway decent from afar, but you're actually really fugly" and walk away.
Chicks love it.

rakkoon
2010-04-14, 08:15 AM
(goes to test this on random subject)

AtomicKitKat
2010-04-14, 08:22 PM
Maddox is an ass in general, but meh, he has points. Somewhat. Don't entirely agree on the Crocs. The whole point is that they're ventilated, so that your feet DON'T smell. Of course, this is more applicable if you're in the tropics(and it's not raining, causing you to drag them through the mud).

And I can see that Cherry Desirable is ever so slightly darker than Red Reinvented. Maddox just has the poor colour resolution typical of most Human Males(something about fewer rods or cones).

Bonus points for covering exactly what I said in my previous post regarding those dresses though. Anything that turns one's figure into a bell is most definitely not "cool". And I spit in the face, of people who...wait, wrong train of thought.:smalltongue:

Superglucose
2010-04-14, 08:32 PM
You're supposed to say "Oh, right. Sorry, my bad, I thought you looked halfway decent from afar, but you're actually really fugly" and walk away.
Chicks love it.
My dad always uses the line, "Are you sure this is an argument you want to win?" I think it's lame.

Coidzor
2010-04-15, 12:08 AM

Ahh, acculturation to feeling dependent upon makeup in order to look pretty. And high-heels are necessary to be sexy or professional. Yay for blanket jobs of bjorking up half the population. :smallbiggrin:

A woman once explained it to me and it made sense then, but I forgot what she said.

Well, in that case, I guess I'll just have to wait until I find someone.

Also, there are brown people.

Which merely leads to the question of why someone who is brown would want to wear brown lipstick and what this actually does for them. If it's the same color as their skin tone, wouldn't they be better off just using another lip product to moisturize and protect their lips while catching the light better. That gloss or whatever stuff.

Quite consternating.

Closet_Skeleton
2010-04-16, 12:21 PM

This is the closest I've ever come to wanting to sig a post.

Zovc
2010-04-16, 12:30 PM
PROTIP: Any guy who is concerned about what message your lipstick is sending probably isn't interested in ladies.