PDA

View Full Version : [IC] The Fiery Sands: First Game!

d13
2010-04-12, 10:08 PM
[For ease of reference, here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8268961) is the OOC thread]

Phu 1, 103 PW

Sunrise at Porthaven. The city wakes up early, and the noise of thousands of laborers setting up their shops and starting their daily chores fill the streets as you reluctantly abandon your beds at the local 'sleephouse', as it is called by Porthaven's residents.

For one reason or another, you are in Porthaven's sleephouse, being it sleeping a hangover, having nowhere else to go, or just resting for a moment in your journey. Eventhough you can find people of any and every race resting here any given day, last night's group was pretty homogeneous, though significantly different one from the other.

Your sleepy eyes recognize several other people, a bearded man, human, looking uneasily through the window, as if he is trying to discern something in the nearby woods; an imposing man, also human, his blue eyes piercing the morning reflections; a fair skinned youngster, human once again, but this one looks like he doesn't truly belong to this place.
Two females complete the picture in the guests 'section' of the house: a good looking human, absent-mindedly playing a Lute, her song receiving the morning as a blessing; and a tanned elf in bright colours, seemingly discussing with an emerald.

As you finish getting up, a beautiful dark skinned half-elf lady, not a day older than 16, approaches the door, smiling:
"Good morning, people! Mom and dad will have breakfast ready in a couple of minutes. If you serve coming to the table when you're ready..."
Turning on her heels, she runs back, and you hear the sound of dishes, and smell the cooking of something that promises delicious.

Welcome to the city of Porthaven. Feel free to interact, roleplay and do whatever you want for a couple of post.
It is customary to describe what you look like, on your first post :smalltongue:

TheMerchandise
2010-04-12, 10:33 PM
The woman with the lute continues to play, staring out whatever window is nearby with a slight smile, watching the sunlight creep slowly up along the floor and wall. She pulls her dark bangs away from her brilliant green eyes with one hand, the other picking up the slack, and the music doesn't undergo a very noticeable change. Her tan skin is radiant as the sun hits it; she's gorgeous- slender and elegant. Around her neck is a delicate silver necklace with a small, dragon-shaped pendant. Eventually, she finishes singing softly to herself and ends the song with a final sequence of chords plucked delicately on her lute. She sets it aside and greets last night's roommates:
"A beautiful morning, isn't it? Did you all sleep well? I'm sorry if my music disturbed you; I simply get into these moods sometimes...I'm just compelled to play when I witness a sunrise like that. I'm Alyssa, by the way. It truly is a pleasure to meet all of you."
She gives a genuine, picture-perfect smile and follows the young girl off towards the dining area, humming quietly as she walks.

Calenestel
2010-04-13, 12:02 AM
"No need for apologies, fair maid." The apparantly youngest of the men's voice is slightly muffled as he pulls a shirt over his head but it's still clearly audible. His common, while flawless, is clearly accented, marking him as a stranger just as much as the differences in dress and the light tone of his skin and hair. He smiles as his face reappears and he looks appreciately at the young woman but whether due to her good looks or something else is hard to tell. "The Allfather enjoys and encourages the work of the skald."

With that he looks to a small mirror he left on his cot, straightening his almost blonde hair and inspecting his somewhat scraggly beard. He is a ruggedly goodlooking man, even if his youth seem to deny him a full beard just yet, with piercing, dark grey eyes and a way of carrying himself that hints at a good and clear head. Around his neck he carries two pieces of jewelry: An eye of pewter hanging on a chain and two black feathers on a leather cord.
When he has inspected his appearance and deemed it at least passable he retrieves a patch from his beltpouch and puts it over his actually working left eye. "My name is Björn, servant of the High God. It is, likewise a pleasure."

rezplz
2010-04-13, 02:07 AM
James gives a great yawn, stretching his hands above his head before blinking a few times. "...I miss living in a mansion," he mutters to himself. But no, his mansion was currently a mass of ashes, and he still didn't have any clue other than it was a bunch of pyros. He shrugs, as if trying to shrug off his worries, and spends a short time fixing his short brown hair, parting it down the middle.

The muscular young man then smiles, showing off the smooth features of his face. "Yeah, I slept great. Your music was a very welcome wake-up call - beautiful music coming from a beautiful young woman. It's nice to meet you, Alyssa," He starts walking towards the dining area. As he walks, he extends his right hand towards Alyssa. His left crosses over his right, towards Bjorn. "And you too, Bjorn. Have to say, this isn't where I intended to wake up, but when I run into nothing but dead-ends in my search, it's better than nothing. For now, I'm a bodyguard without a body to guard. What brings you two here?"

Calenestel
2010-04-13, 02:42 AM
Grasping the man's offered hand, or rather, his forearm, the younger man gives the other a friendly smile and nod as the man identifies himself as a warrior. It seems to instantly grant him some respect with the blonde. Up close he shows a few small, white scars in his face. Obviously he has seen some action himself. "Well... That is a tale and a half, really. But simply put: I was left behind when my ship put out again. So... well... I must confess as to be a bit lost." It doesn't seem to worry him overly much, almost as if he accepted being stranded in a foreign city with small means as a test or even a quest. "Breakfast?"

Lorien077
2010-04-13, 02:50 AM
The lithe young elf continues what sounds to be an argument with the small green gem. She occasionally tosses her reddish hair in frustration, and glances about the room, smiling apologetically at its in habitants. Those who know the elvish tongue can understand the following.
Really, why keep up this foolishness further? You've satisfied the ritual, and there's no reason to wander about.
"For the last time Nic'ti, this is my best chance at much of anything. I'm not even sure I want to return home."
"Now you're just being melodramatic. If I had eyes I would roll them."
She scowls, narrows her golden eyes at the piece of rock, then deftly picks it up and places ties the crystal to a leather cord, resting atop the sunset colored silk of her cropped shirt. Noting the introductions she gives a nod to the rest, then hurries after the young girl. There's nothing worse than being hungry after spending most of the night on the road, and Jariat is impatient to see this place.

Calenestel
2010-04-13, 03:23 AM
Smiling ruefully, the patchwearing cleric follows the elf towards the breakfast. He had gotten odd looks from these southerners more than once when it had become obvious that he wasn't one-eyed. But it would seem that he wouldn't be the oddest addition to the company, for the time being. Arguing with a piece of stone! And getting REPLIES! It was enough to grant any sane man daft, may the gods protect him from elvish madness.

TheMerchandise
2010-04-13, 03:38 AM
Alyssa takes the offered hand and smiles cordially before following the elf to breakfast. She catches up as quickly as she can to whisper, in elven, "May I ask what that stone is? or at least why it's so sassy?" Her smile widens; she successfully keeps from laughing, though the concentration it takes is noticeable.

TheDarkDM
2010-04-13, 03:50 AM
The man by the window continues to stare out into the scraggly trees that must once have been a lush forest. His red-brown hair was long and thick, and had apparently only just become reacquainted with water, judging by the lingering hits of dust and oil. Nevertheless, it fell to the man's shoulder blades, and the rest of his face was covered in an equally mighty beard. Yet, even that mass of hair could not hide the gauntness of the man's frame, or the hard lines of his face. As he turns, his attention drawn by the various introductions, His eyes fall on the assembled adventurers, unyielding jade slats that held within them an unsettling spark. Moving behind the group towards breakfast, he remains silent, simply watching.

d13
2010-04-13, 10:12 PM
As you finish getting up, and readying yourselves, changing clothes in front of strangers without a trace of shame, and head for the dining area, the sound of children screaming with joy and running footsteps fills the air. It may seem that the sleephouse is also a daycare of some sort.
The breakfast room is the other room of the house, easily ten pillows and several blankets piled against a wall greet you when you open the door. Everything has been moved out of its normal place to fit a table big enough to accommodate you all, and the other eleven inhabitants of the house at this moment but, oddly, doesn't seem to be bothering the elven woman that greets you all with a huge smile on her face.
"Good morning, good morning my dears! Did you sleep well? Breakfast is on the table, should you want to eat something before leaving".
Sitting at the table you can see the girl that went to wake you up next to a middle-aged, tall, bald, black man, with very similar features (presumably her father), and a trope of children, the oldest one around 9 years old. Most of them pretty stunned at the amount of weapons you're carrying.
Suddenly, one of the children raises a hand and addresses Björn, clearly nervous: "Sir... Are you really missing an eye?". Just like if a switch was turned, the incoming barrage of questions is impossible to understand completely. "Miss... Does that jewel really talk? And can you understand it?", "Aren't you last night's creepy guy with the bat? Where is it now? Can we see it?". The miniature version of the older girl pulls Alyssa's clothes lightly, terrified and amazed at the same time: "Excuse me, miss... Would you be so kind as to play me a happy birthday song, before you leave?".
As the elven woman turns around from a makeshift kitchen, and sits at the table, the man stands up, a full head taller than Björn. "Kids! Praise Niara, let the guests eat! Behave yourselves!". When the horde calms down, he gestures you to the empty chairs around the table. "Please, make yourselves comfortable. You are at home, here."

rezplz
2010-04-13, 11:10 PM
"Alright!" James rubs his hands together and grins as he walks towards the table. He pulls out a chair and sits down before loading his plate full of food. "Thank you so much for the meal. I didn't get to eat much at all yesterday!" After loading it full to the brim of food, he grabs a roll and takes a large bite out of it. While chewing, he says to his hosts, "Oh... while I'm here. Any of you know anything about the burning of lord Orion's mansion?" He swallows his bite of bread before cutting off a piece of ham. "I was his bodyguard. Since it burned down with him in it, I've been trying to figure out who did it. You know. Sworn duty and all."

Lorien077
2010-04-13, 11:29 PM
"Laugh all you like, Nic'ti is just a grouch!" That and a wink is all the answer the elvish youth gives Alyssa.

Jariat's only response to all of the bustle and questions at the table is amusement. After thanking her host, she sits, and begins to eat. Seeing the wide eyes of the children on her, she smiles and gestures over the curious ones.
"You could just talk to him yourselves, if you speak elvish. Come here children."
The psicrystal issues a grumble, and with some reluctance begins answering what questions the children may ask.
After getting halfway through her plate fairly quickly, Jariat smiles at the hostess. "The food is quite good, and again you have my thanks for allowing me to rest here despite arriving so late in the evening." Now that she has some food in her stomach, she seems a lot more talkative.

OOC Note

While not impressively important Jariat arrived fairly late in the evening the night prior, and changed before sleeping, as well as general hygiene stuff.

Calenestel
2010-04-14, 12:03 AM
Children in hordes doesn't seem to be really the northerner's cup of tea and he seems bewildered and almost dazed by the barrages of questions aimed at the guests. The question about him missing an eye with a simple "No" before getting his breakfast.

After setting his meal on the table but before sitting he bows slightly towards the host. "I thank you for your hospitality and will stand with you, housemaster." At that he sits with the kind of motions that show that he knows that he probably acts odd, but honour and courtesy demands it just as well.

TheMerchandise
2010-04-14, 12:56 AM
"I slept quite soundly, thank you. And even greater thanks for the breakfast! It all looks and smells so wonderful!"
She takes a moderate amount of food for herself, trying to keep proper table manners as she eats; she sits with her back straight, never learning over the table, and at all times chews with her mouth closed. When asked about the song, she smiles, continuing to chew briefly, and then covers her mouth to answer "Well, of COURSE I can! I'll come find you before I leave, ok? Eat well, sweetheart." Alyssa can't help but feel a warm amusement at the innocence of all the children, especially in such difficult and strange times. Their father's stern love and kindness towards the guests reminds her of her own family; nostalgia takes over for a moment, and she begins to stare off into space while playing with the pendant around her neck. As she snaps back into reality with a pleasant smile, she turns her attention towards the other guests. "So it appears our bodyguard friend has his day planned. What is everyone else going to do with the day ahead? If you don't mind my asking, of course."

d13
2010-04-14, 12:09 PM
Breakfast goes without any other inconvenience, a boy and a girl, twins, bug the psicrystal for a while, before continuing eating, with nothing remarkable happening for a while. The breakfast is, easily, the best you've tasted in a while, most likely because of the little girl's birthday.
As the last scraps are disappearing from the table, the man addresses James' query, speaking with a deep, but soft at the same time, voice.
"So you are old Orion's surviving bodyguard! I knew your face was familiar from somewhere! Anyway... As far as I'm concerned, lord Orion's mansion was burned to the crisp because of a dispute with a rival house, but you know... Speculations. Nobody can prove anything, yet."
The Sun is filling, quite literally, the sky at the time you all stand up from the table. As hospitable as your patrons are, they need to ready the place before this night's guests arrive.

rezplz
2010-04-14, 01:23 PM
"Really?" James leans forward, excited eyes looking at the man who had spoken. "They might be the pyros that did him in!" He rubs his chin, rusty gears moving in his mind. His eyes narrow in thought. "Which rival house do you think it was? Could help narrow down my search a lot. Hell, I'm not sure, but I'm thinking there would be a good chance of a reward from our good old justice system if you can help me out here."

TheMerchandise
2010-04-14, 01:27 PM
Knowledge Local: [roll0] (2 from int, 1 from bardic knack, trained thanks to jack of all trades)
Looks like i know literally NOTHING.
Alyssa focuses intently on the conversation now taking place; she can't believe what she just heard.
"Are you saying that people killed your employer and burned down his house because of a rivalry?" Alyssa shows deep concern, playing nervously with her necklace. "That's awful...if you would like any help investigating, I would be honored to aid in bringing people like that to justice. I may not look it, but I do have a certain knack for more than one would think."

Lorien077
2010-04-14, 05:17 PM
After the children finish questioning Nic'ti Jariat picks him back up and ties the necklace holding him around her neck. No need to startle people by having him grow legs here right in front of everyone.
Hearing the conversation about 'pyros' and rival houses Jariat turns to James.
"If you don't mind me asking what sort of man was your lord?" She folds her henna covered hands and rests her chin on them, looking James directly in the eyes.

rezplz
2010-04-14, 10:12 PM
"Yeah, that'd be great!" James smiles at Alyssa, seeming to be a bit more perked up now. "Two heads are better than none, I'd say. And I'm not gonna lie," he said, scratching the back of his head, "I ain't the smartest guy around. It'd be nice to have someone helping out who can do the heavy thinking stuff. And if there's some kind of reward, I'll share it with you."

James then turns to Jariat, sparing a glance for her odd... gem... thing? He shrugged, deciding to ignore it. It was probably some kind of wizard thing. She seemed like a wizard All smart and stuff. "Yeah, no problem. Think you would have liked him. He was pretty nice, even though he kept to himself a lot. Really smart. You could just tell that he knew what was gonna come next, you know, by looking him in the eye. He really liked that little library he had to himself, and he'd be in there reading sometimes for a whole hour. Or even two or three! I was never really interested in books though, and they seemed kinda private, so I never asked what he was reading." As he was talking, his eyes were aimed upwards while searching through his mind for bits of memories about his lord. Once he was finished speaking, his eyes refocused on Jariat's, and then Alyssa's. "...Any of that help?"

Lorien077
2010-04-14, 10:33 PM
Nic'ti began to grumble again, but a light touch of Jariat's hand was enough to get him to hold his tongue, so to speak.
"The reason I inquire is that well, to be honest you master doesn't sound like an incompetent man. If the cause of his death was foul play, I have a feeling those responsible could easily deal with you as well. And unless you feel the need to die for your lord, which from your description doesn't strike me as something he'd care for, I suggest caution in this matter at the very least."
She smiled a bit afterward to soften the blow, if he took it to be one. However both of the two interested parties likely wouldn't be phased by her statement.... well why not?
"That being said I wouldn't mind helping you investigate a touch, I'm new around here anyway, probably better to make friends sooner rather than later."
The psicrystal just sighed.

Calenestel
2010-04-14, 11:19 PM
Having finished his breakfast Björn moves to the side, taking a place along the wall while he thinks over his options. The plights of the former bodyguard moves him somewhat, any huskarl without a master is worthy of some sympathy, but his own situation is troublesome enough and he only pays the conversation half a mind.

d13
2010-04-15, 12:00 PM
The man smirks at Alyssa's comment. "Being a rich man is tougher than it looks, my dear. We have nothing to spare, but we also don't lack anything. THIS is the best life you could have."

As the children disband and go play somewhere, the man, his wife and their oldest daughter, begin to pick up the dishes.

"If you want a lead with that, you should seek Dara Galett, that old witch knows everything... Good luck on finding her, though... The desert is a really rough place to be."

TheMerchandise
You recognize the name as one of the most renowned nobility houses. They were "famous" because of not being that bad with the 'lesser' classes

TheMerchandise
2010-04-15, 06:37 PM
Alyssa decides now is as good a time as any to sing for the birthday girl. She picks her up before the girl runs out and sits her in her lap. She sings a cheery ballad about the a girl's beauty and grace for her little private audience. When she's done, she sets the girl down- "Run along, now. Have fun, but be careful!"
Hearing the name Dara Galett causes some gears in her mind to begin turning, as she recalls the conversations she heard in her travels about this "witch."
"They say she's lived longer than any other Human...do you know if that's true? Alyssa ponders the idea of trekking through the desert in search of someone whose desire seems to NOT be found. It fills her with a bit of trepidation. "Well, Mr. bodyguard- it's your decision to make. I have nowhere in particular to be, so I'm glad to help you providing it doesn't get me killed. She laughs a bit at that last part; she doesn't expect such things to happen to her; whether its because of naive optimism or a self-sure attitude is unclear, even to her. She leans in closer, her countenance becoming far more serious, as she whispers "Have you heard the rumors that someone within the family was responsible? Do you have any idea who that might be?"

rezplz
2010-04-16, 02:04 AM
James frowns for a bit, looking down at the table. He seems to be thinking about something, before he looks back up and smirks at Jariat. "Well, yeah. He was a lot smarter than me, but didn't pack much in the 'able to kick your ass' department, far as I could tell. Obviously, I couldn't out-think whoever did Orion in... But," he points at Jariat, and then Alyssa, "That's where you two come in. I'm sure that with me around, you won't get killed, and with you two around, we'll be able to figure out what's what. Caution's good, of course."
"As for someone from within the family doing it?" He shakes his head, eyes narrowing a bit. "I hadn't even heard that rumor. Far as I know, everybody in the family were pretty decent folk. In any case," He stands, looking off in the direction of what he assumed was the rising sun. Not that they could tell, since they were inside. He was looking west, he thought. Right? "I intend to try talking to this 'Dara Galett'. I don't know where she is, or how to find her, but it's the best lead I've got. If anybody here wants to come with me, then hey," he gives a friendly smile, "I'd love to have you. I'm not the smartest guy around, so I know I'll need all the help I can get."

Calenestel
2010-04-16, 02:17 AM
"Brains and brawns are well and good... But I'd say you need someone to patch you up like a torn sail should things go... badly." Looking at the man, woman and she-elf before him the "one-eyed" cleric seem to make a decision. Tossing hesitation to the side like a dirty rag he straightens up, no longer leaning against the wall. "I am a priest of Odin, the Allfather..." he says, walking over to the others. Laying a hand on James' shoulder he then continues. "Your quest is a worthy one, huskarl, I know it would please my God if I were to help you. I will accompany you, blessing your search in the name of the Father of Victory." The young priest's words would have sounded pompous, hadn't it been for that his tone is more confidently relaxed than self-assured.

TheDarkDM
2010-04-16, 02:47 AM
As the small band of adventurers turned to leave the room, the strangely silent man's head jerked upwards from his barely-touched meal. The children around him scitter backwards, but it is not until he bellows a commanding "WAIT!" that the rest of the house notices him. His voice is deep and scratchy, the voice of a man who has bellowed into the heart of a sandstorm simply to hear it reply. The man stands, and strides towards the other with a purpose, until he stands before them. Slowly, he looks them over, hard jade eyes seeming to burrow through flesh like a sandworm burrows through the waste, until eventually he gives a slight nod.

"I am Royam Tilves, prophet of the Wastes. You four are blessed by the scouring wind, I think, and you will need a guide in the deep desert. I offer my companionship, and my guidance."

Lorien077
2010-04-16, 11:26 AM
After giving the simple bodyguard a nod of acknowledgement, Jariat stood to follow the others out of the room, smirking a touch at the priest's declaration. She paused to bow briefly to her hosts, as her customs would have her do, and paused once again at the bellow of the self proclaimed prophet of the wastes. This was most definitely going to be an entertaining journey.
"Well as far as I'm concerned Royam you are welcome, but I think you should probably finish your breakfast before we go running off into the desert."
"Or at least your drink." The gem stated, clearly commenting on the quality of his voice.
The elf suppressed a chuckle. "You'll have to excuse Nic'ti, he has no manners. Then again I suppose a chunk of rock wouldn't."

rezplz
2010-04-16, 10:59 PM
"Alright!" James grins, stretching his hands into the air. "This is better than I possibly thought it could be. I didn't even think of having someone to patch us up, and I sure as hell woulda been lost in the desert. Glad to have you guys along." He then turns towards their hosts, and gives them a bow. "I would like to thank you for housing me for the night, and for helping me find all of these guys. If you ever need anything in return, just ask."

d13
2010-04-23, 11:25 AM
Thanking your patrons, you make your way to the streets of Porthaven. As you open the door, a heat wave strikes you right in the face, making clear that winter is not coming any time soon.
Having nothing better to do, or just being curious about the fate of James' patron, you start asking for information in the streets, hoping the locals to be more knowledgeable than you about the whereabouts of this Dara Galett person.
Several failed attempts at communication with the locals, Alyssa's people skills show up right in time. The sun is high in the sky, when you come across a beggar, resting in the shade given by a docked ship, at the harbor.
"Dara Galett? Yeah, that witch lives in a hut deep in the desert. Do you know about the Four Pyramids? Well, her hut is right in the middle of them, sweetheart. Can't miss it.
Don't ask me how does she do to keep it from covering in sand, or just plain burning, though."

TheMerchandise
2010-04-23, 03:13 PM
"Thank you for your help!" Alyssa turns to the bodyguard with a smile. "So. Looks like we have our answer. When do we set out?"

Calenestel
2010-04-23, 03:25 PM
"Well... I'll leave that up to the one whom it concerns the most..." the priest says, his fingers drumming a silent rythm on the shaft of his spear. "But I'd say that there's no sense in dawdling around here. We might as well get it over with."

Glaring up at the sun as if looking at a hated enemy the northerner rearranges his hat slightly and shrugs slightly to make the robe settle better over his armour. He can stand the heat if he has to. But he doubt he'd ever get used to it. That he'll never come to like it is a given. Still, he refuses to resort to the waterskin he has hanging by a leather cord from his left shoulder and resting against his right hip. Aside from showing weakness it would be wasteful and therefore shameful.

rezplz
2010-04-26, 04:24 PM
"Alright!" James pumps his fist into the air, his metallic armor clanking underneath his white cloak. He wipes some of the sweat off of his forehead, before nodding at the priest. "Right, I'm with this guy here. Now that we've got a lead, we've gotta follow it. And then once we find this old woman, things should be pretty easy. Now... which way is the four pyramids?"

Calenestel
2010-04-27, 11:35 AM
Wisely ignoring that he was just called "this guy here" Björn continues his thoughts. "We'd better mount up before we head out. I'd prefer not having to walk in this weather."

Lorien077
2010-04-27, 12:33 PM
Jariat made a face at the notion of heading out right this instant.
"Perhaps it would be better to leave at dusk, rather than walk in the heat of the day? Especially given what has been said about where this witch lives?"
"If you're heading out now just hide me somewhere, I don't want to melt"

d13
2010-04-27, 09:21 PM
Wisely waiting for the sun to set before departing, the five of you make your way to the surrounding forest, hoping to find a way into the desert somehow.
The cold night greets you as it always does, with temperature quickly fluctuating between warm and chilling, as it has always been since the day desert started to expand.

The wild part of the oasis seems to sleep with the inhabitants of Porthaven. Barely any noise, besides your own footsteps, can be heard in your surrounding area. Whether the animals are scared, sleeping or completely inexistent, you are not aware.
As you realize that fact, and relax your postures a little before resuming your journey, wings (judging for the sound, big enough to lift an adult) flutter behind you startling everyone but Royam, who stays undaunted.

Calenestel
2010-04-29, 01:51 AM
"What in Nifelheim?" Gripping his spear tightly like a lance the norhtern priest pulls at the reins, stopping his steed and making it turn on the spot to face whatever was approaching them, whether an eldritch horror or bewinged ally he would meet it face to face.

TheDarkDM
2010-04-29, 03:38 AM
The leathery flapping comes to a halt as a massive bat lands awkwardly on the ground behind the group. It is larger than a horse, its nearly blind eyes shining, a series of small bony ridges curving off from its head. Without missing a beat, Royam steps forward and grabs the monstrous bat the the neck, scratching up and down the backs of its massive ears. The thing chitters, though in fear or pleasure you cannot tell. After a moment, Royam turns towards the group.

"This is Sirroco, my loyal friend and companion. PLease, lower your weapons."

Lorien077
2010-04-29, 11:25 AM
"Interesting friend there, how did you two meet?" The elf seems more curious than frightened. Admittedly the giant bat was one of the stranger animals she had seen in her lifetime, but she was accustomed to various creatures traveling with her.
"Is it okay with Sirroco if someone else pets him?" Curiosity had gotten the better of Jariat.

TheMerchandise
2010-04-29, 03:03 PM
Alyssa's eyes widen as she stares, entranced by the strange creature before her. "It's...He's...wonderful." she manages to say before approaching it as if sleepwalking.
Handle Animal! - [roll0] (+3 cha, +1 from bardic knack)
she's just trying to approach it in a friendly manner to show she means it no harm. i wasn't sure if that was handle animal or just a cha check. if it's the latter, subtract 1.

rezplz
2010-04-29, 06:09 PM
"What the-" James grabs his polearm, pivoting on his left foot to meet whatever this thing was. "Something want a piece of me?" he says, only relaxing his stance when the bat's owner identifies the creature. He lowers the guisarme, but still eyes the creature warily. He takes a step back, but appears to be calmed down a bit. "Alright... Let's just keep going then."

TheDarkDM
2010-04-29, 06:33 PM
Royam smiles with genuine pleasure at the interest towards Sirroco.

"Indeed, you may come closer. If he likes you, he'll allow you to pet him, though he is no mere pet. He and I are the last remnants of the city of Qu'raj."

Royam grasps Sirroco's neck and sweeps himself up into a hidden saddle, revealing quite clearly that the bat is ridable.

Calenestel
2010-04-30, 12:13 AM
When the "prophet of the Wastes" declares the huge bat to be no enemy but a friend and ally, Björn lifts the point of his spear skyward to show that he has no hostile intentions. Not without some curiosity he eyes the creature as Royam pets it affectionately. "That is a most... unconventional pet, my newfound friend. How does-" He cuts of abruptly as Royam mounts the giant bat and barks a coarse laugh, more a sound of astonishment than merriment. Well, it actually subsides into a more goodnatured chuckle afterwards as he takes in the curious sight. "Oh, so he's a mount too... I was wondering, you know. I take it you travel mostly by night then? Fluttermice aren't particularly known for being about at day. Or are their giant cousins less nocturnal?" Dismounting the "one-eyed" priest cautiously nears Sirocco extending a closed hand as if to a horse, to let the creature get his scent first. After the initial surprise he must admit to be a little fascinated himself.

TheDarkDM
2010-05-02, 06:36 PM
Though he edges back slightly at the approach of strangers, Sirroco's head leans out towards the outstretched hands. Sniffing at them with his triangular nose, a high pitched chitter escaped his throat before a long pink tongue flicks out to give each an experimental lick. Regarding you slightly with his bright blue eyes, Sirroco crawls forward and allows himself to be petted. Royam smiles in amusement,

"It appears he likes you. And to answer your question, blinders allow him to fly during the day."

Lorien077
2010-05-02, 10:03 PM
The desert elf hung back, knowing that the bat would probably not appreciate an additional set of hands being pushed at it. Ah well, perhaps next time.

While the rest of the party fussed over their new flying compatriot, Jariat scanned the sands for signs of danger, and adjusted the hood of her cloak. Nights were cold in the desert, but the starlight was soothing. She hummed quietly to herself, a tune from her childhood.

d13
2010-05-04, 10:55 PM
Night falls as you walk through the forest, making it increasingly difficult for you to see, and find the wanted trail.
The nightfall seems to wake up the forest, and on your way, noises can be heard everywhere. A couple of yellow, unblinking eyes stare at you every now and then, disappearing when you get close enough; and a very faint laugh can be heard at a distance.

Björn:
In the surrounding darkness, you force your eyes a little and see that the several animals follow you, keeping their distance.
What catches your attention is that, between those animals, there seem to be vague shadows, resembling humanoids.

Jariat:
You get an uncomfortable sensation in the back of your head, as you realize that someone, somewhere, somehow, knows that you are out there. The others are oblivious of this fact.
Whether this being is hostile or not, you don't know, as you don't know if (s)he is using magic, psionic powers, or some other kind of locating ability.

Lorien077
2010-05-04, 11:21 PM
Jariat moves quietly through the wood, grateful for the moonlight and starlight that allows her to see. And unfortunately seems to allow someone else to watch at a distance.
"I do believe we are being watched." The elf speaks suddenly but quietly. It would be unwise to refrain from alerting the others, oblivious though they may be.

rezplz
2010-05-04, 11:35 PM
"Being watched? Someone trying to ambush us?" James grins, a confident sparkle in his eyes as he readies his polearm. He gives it a twirl or two before looking out into the darkness, where he has yet to see anything. To the darkness, he calls, "Hey, someone out there want a piece of me? I'll bet you a hundred gold I'll kick your ass. Come get some!"

TheMerchandise
2010-05-05, 12:21 AM
Alyssa all but frowns at James' cocky display. "Well, they definitely know we're on to them now. I'm hoping this doesn't have to end in violence..." she draws her bow and knocks an arrow - "but just in case."

Lorien077
2010-05-05, 12:27 AM
It is the psicrytal now that speaks, taking advantage of the pause as Jariat tries to figure out how to put her next point politely.
"Put your over-sized stick away. Whoever or whatever it is isn't even in the vicinity."
"Forgive Nic'ti's rudeness but he is likely correct."
She smiled a bit at James, both trying to reassure the others and soften the blow.
"There is little point in losing our heads. It is likely best to remember we have been.... noted, and continue on until we have a more compelling reason to turn around."

Calenestel
2010-05-05, 10:53 AM
"Whoever, whatever it is, isn't that far away, really. I can make out... several fourlegged animals and maybe even some humanoids out there... And if I can see them... Letting that happy thought hang ominous in silence the northern cleric wedges his spear between his leg and the flank of the horse to free his hands and pick up the well made, round shield that has so far hung from the pommel of the saddle. Buckling it to his left arm the priest keeps a wary eyes on the elusive shadows that follows them. "I'd suggest we hurry up to our destination. I have a bad feeling about this." His tone is grim, but hardly frightful. He might even have a hint of anticipation to his voice, but the way he hefts his spear in one hand makes it clear that he wouldn't mind fighting any enemies somewhere else.

rezplz
2010-05-06, 10:11 PM
James frowned, a bit more dissapointed rather than angry at the floating stone's comment. With the old man speaking up though, James grins and points a finger at the crystal's face. Well, if it had a face. "Hah! You just got one-upped by this.... guy..." He side-steps closer to the cleric, whispering in his direction, "You'll have to remind me of what your name is later. Sorry about that." To the group, he grins, lifting his guisarme into the air. "Come on, do you guys think I'd still be alive right now if I ran away all the time? We can take 'em. Point them out to me, what direction are they in?"

Lorien077
2010-05-06, 10:31 PM
After watching James point at her collar bone and give Nic'ti a talking to Jariat couldn't help but chuckle, in spite of the growing threat.
"Come now James, really lets not start something if we don't have to. Not all of us are as resilient as you. And if what Björn says is true, given what I'm sensing it'd be a real mess"
She reaches out, and gently tries to lead him further down the path by the arm, sensing danger is close, and since he seems to be the party leader this is the best way to get everyone to move.

d13
2010-05-07, 12:24 AM
(I'm assuming someone lit a torch here).

As you argue, your eyes get used to the darkness, revealing the closest trees, but without being of any help for you to notice anything else.
Suddenly, a raspy, but melodic at the same time, voice calls out to you.
"What are you doing disturbing the balance in my house?"

Alyssa
You recall old tales depicting someone or something called "The voice of the forest". Mostly regarded as a legend to scare kids, it now seems to be real.
Depending on who tells the tale, it could be a gigantic troll-like creature, a pixie, or even a tree.

Alyssa, James & Björn
As the voice calls out, the forest lightens up for you, revealing your worst fears surrounding you. (It would be kind of you to fluff them in your posts :smalltongue:)
Current status: Shaken.

Royam & Jariat
You see the rest of the group (but the other one of you) pale like they've seen a ghost. Maybe the connection to the wilds, and the inherent mental activity of you two, or maybe just plain luck, prevented you from being affected by whatever it is that affects Alyssa, James and Björn.

Calenestel
2010-05-07, 12:35 AM
Just as he is about to say something to James and Jariat a voice speaks to them and the forest lits up. But instead of giving him a welcome respite from straining his eye it reveals the most ghastly of sights: The Temple of Odin was burning, the whole town was burning! All around him his kin and his fellow priests lay dead, hewn and broken by some unknown attacker and he just knew that it was all because of him! His mind was unable to point out that this was impossible. That the Temple lay on the other side of the ocean. All the eyes of his family: his sisters, his brothers and his brothers in faith looked at him with dead, but still accusing, gazes. "By every god and his mother!" His voice was as coarse and faint as his face was pale and he shivered slightly in his saddle. He tried to look away from the horrid sight, but he couldn't. He just couldn't.

TheMerchandise
2010-05-07, 01:01 AM
A modest (in comparison to Björn's) vision presents itself before Alyssa. In the distance before her are two limp, lifeless figures: a bespectacled man with short, graying hair once black as coal and a woman whose slender figure, buttery skin tone and long, silky hair rivaled Alyssa's. Upon closer inspection, the figures were mutilated with innumerable cuts and bruises as if slowly tortured to death. Behind them, in the shadows, Alyssa thought she could barely make out a figure looming over the corpses. Though she certainly could not see the face or any body from which to interpret an emotion, she could feel a tangible aura of smugness and pleasure from this figure at having delivered these two before her. Tears forming in her eyes, Alyssa whispers "No...it can't be..." while fiercely clutching the pendant at her neck.
Calling out to seemingly nothing or no one in particular, Alyssa wheels about and shouts to the treetops "Are you The Voice?! What have you done? WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS??! SHOW YOURSELF!"
Her normally calm and pleasant demeanor has completely vanished, replaced by the panicked and emotionally insecure girl clinging desperately to a memento about her neck.

Lorien077
2010-05-07, 01:12 AM
Jariat turned, wide-eyed and paniced at the sudden shouting of her companions.
The psicrystal was about to interject but she clamped a hand around it, and shouted to the others. Noticing Royam is the only one who remains calm, she appeal for him to aid her endeavor.
"Run! Royam, grab Bjorn!" She now attempts to reach out and snatch Alyssa's arm, and speed her and James away from the danger lurking out of her vision.

d13
2010-05-10, 10:36 PM
Realizing that Björn's horse is still calm, Royam uses his animal skills to call it, and bring the mounted Björn back to their side. Getting the horse's reins with one hand, and James' arm with the other, he starts running through the woods to someplace else.
At the same time Jariat, bewildered by the inexplicable turn of the events, directs a paralyzed Alyssa the same way the men went.

As you run trying to find a safe place to spend the rest of the night, or at least regroup, you can see an increasing number of eyes, following you behind the bordering trees.

(Moving this, since no one else posted :smalleek:)

rezplz
2010-05-13, 10:47 PM
"Alright, I suppose you have a point. For now, discretion is the better part of valor. I'll have to kick ass some other time." James agrees with Jariat's decision, and starts to head off. But then, as they went into the woods... he suddenly saw pitch darkness. He grips his guisarme tight enough to make his knuckles white. He turns one way, and then another, his white cloak moving with a slight breeze. And then, from the ground... bathed in fire and worms were devils and demons of all shapes and sizes. "No! NO! YOU WON'T TAKE ME!" He shouts, only snapping out of it and back to reality when, still stunned, he finds that he is being dragged away.

Once they were all safe, with his hands still shaking slightly, he leans against a tree. His eyes lack the energy they had before, and they look only at the ground. "What... was that?"

Lorien077
2010-05-14, 12:45 AM
The elf kneels close to James, all too aware of the canopy above blocking the moon and stars from lighting this dreadful forest.
"I'm not sure, but we should tread quietly. Some sort of mage or creature skilled with magic, or perhaps just a nightmare... Jariat lapses off, unsure of herself and frightened.
The emerald shard of crystal at her throat remains silent, contemplating. Jariat glances to the others, amber eyes wide, but concerned.

d13
2010-05-14, 11:30 PM
Don't knowing where you ran, you decide to take a minute for yourselves, let the frightened ones recover their composure, and let Royam find the way once again, being him the only one capable of that feature.

As you find your path once again, you all feel an awful sensation going down your spine, Björn once again seeing the silent procession he saw a while ago, accompanying you on your way.

The day goes by without further inconvenience, though, and, while you are still in the forest, and have a pretty long way to go, you realize that you've been marching the whole day, and your bodies are begging you for some rest.

Calenestel
2010-05-19, 01:32 AM
After pointing out that they were still being followed, even flanked, by the unknown creatures the northern priest rides on in silence. Mostly keeping an eye on the probable enemies but making no move to charge them or challenge them. Finally, as the silence is growing thick enough to be cut with a knife and they all surely must begin to tire he clears his throat. "Don't you think we've gone long enough without rest? I for one start to feel sore, not to mention hungry enough to eat an oxe of Thjazi. Let's find some shelter from the sun and make camp..."

rezplz
2010-05-19, 06:15 AM
"I think I could go on for a bit more..." But, as James looks around and imagining eyes, and those devils, he frowns nervously. "But... uh, I think you're right. Do you see anywhere we could find some shelter?" James squints, looking through the darkness. "I wouldn't know, I've never done this whole nature... thing... before."

Lorien077
2010-05-19, 09:51 PM
Jariat tread quietly, and glanced up at the northerner and James as conversation began.
"I think Bjorn is right. These creatures are not going to stop following us, and its better to rest rather than run ourselves ragged, only to have to face them then. Besides, the only thing they've actually done is scare us.
"Despite my opinion of a great many of Jariat's ideas, I agree."
She scowled briefly at the emerald chip, he almost always had to add his pompous two coppers, and sighed.
"As far as the whole 'nature thing' goes I'll admit to being unaccustomed to the woods. But really it just means we won't have to worry about the sun as much, I hope.
The psion began to glance about hopefully into the trees, looking for a promising location.

TheDarkDM
2010-05-21, 10:54 PM
Royam burst through the undergrowth at the end of Jariat's point, seemingly dropping form a great height. Glancing about the other terrified adventurers, he whispered furtively.

"I believe I can lead us out of here. However, we must remain as silent as possible - these woods are not welcoming to those from civilized lands."

Royam turns, waiting for the others to follow.

Sorry for being away guys. Anyways...

Survival Check to find shelter: [roll0]
Knowledge (nature) check about the eyes: [roll1]

rezplz
2010-05-28, 05:26 AM
"Woah!" Startled, James grips his polearm tighter, backing away from Royam. After a moment, though, the knight relaxes, giving him a nod. "Right. Lead the way, since you know the area best. I think we've decided on finding a place to sleep for the night. I figure you'd be the best guy for that?" He follows, doing his best to be silent. However, his armor still makes a lot of noise. "And I'll try to be silent... but, well, that isn't exactly my area of expertise."