PDA

View Full Version : I request stats for elves

Geiger Counter
2010-04-12, 10:09 PM
Yeah as elves stand in 3.5 they kinda suck statwise.
Kalishtar do the non sleeping thing better plus I typically avoid SOL spells.
A dodge bonus against giants would be fitting.

Basically I want to request stats for 3 kinds of elves;
Aerenal Elves: I got rid of those stupid deathless and instead made this area with a strong tie to Thelanis, eladrin and the fey. The time feature of Thelanis has made these elves long lived however they have more slower/delicate metabolism and are aloof masters of the arcane.
Valenar Elves: Basically tLotR kick ass elves. They are culturally similar to klingons, "Today is a good day to die." with a medieval middle eastern aesthetic and fighting style (Scimitars/falchions/riding mares).
Drow: Basically these guys are sneaky elves, they were slaves who watched over the other slaves so they are observant and cruel. Most take the ninja class because the drow have strong ties to powers of darkness stealth and poison. Culturally these drow are very backward, think the natives on pirates of the Caribbean or king kong.

looking for LA+0

EpicEvokerElf
2010-04-12, 10:14 PM
I don't see any problems with them as written, myself. Valenar could be wild elves. I liked the Aereni - it was a break from the stereotyped fey stuff.

Doodleface
2010-04-12, 10:25 PM
My DM thinks Elves are overpowered, and could almost have a +1 level adjustment. He doesn't houserule that in, but it's his opinion.

Really though;

Immunity to sleep
+2 vs. enchantments
+2 to listen search and spot
Senses secret doors (incredibly useful)
One of the longest life spans
Automatic proficiencies in 4 martial weapons
and low-light vision

That's alot for a LA+0, core class.

That, and there are so many variations of elves that you can find one that suits almost any class.

Temotei
2010-04-12, 10:33 PM
Immunity to sleep
+2 vs. enchantments
and low-light vision

Life spans have next to nothing in terms of usefulness for PCs. Immunity to sleep barely ever comes up. Low-light vision isn't very useful. Four martial weapon proficiencies count for nothing unless you're playing a class without those proficiencies; if you're playing a class without martial weapon proficiencies, you're probably not meant to go into combat anyway. +2 vs. enchantments is okay, but not great. +2 to two skills is basically a next-to-worthless feat. Sensing secret doors can be done by very low-level spells or by rogues.

The only time an elf really comes into his/her own is when you allow cheese.

arguskos
2010-04-12, 10:37 PM
The only time an elf really comes into his/her own is when you allow cheese.
Unless you refer to the Chaos Shuffle, then still, not really. Elves are NOT a powerful race. Compare to Dwarves guys, really.

Grey Elves have their place, as do Drow (Lesser only), Avariel (not worth the LA though :smallsigh:, cut 2 LA and we'll talk), and Star Elves (cause I think they're cool dammit :smalltongue:). Beyond that, the other elven subtypes fail pretty hard. I mean, Wood/Moon/Wild/Gold Elves all are just mirrors of one another, and Aquatic are Moon that live underwater. Woo. :smallsigh:

As for your stats, I'd just pick your favorite subtype and reflavor to taste. Perhaps add a unique ability to each, just cause.

Temotei
2010-04-12, 10:38 PM
Unless you refer to the Chaos Shuffle, then still, not really.

That was what I meant. I had just forgotten the name. :smallamused:

Geiger Counter
2010-04-12, 10:39 PM
My DM thinks Elves are overpowered, and could almost have a +1 level adjustment. He doesn't houserule that in, but it's his opinion. I'd say your DM is flat out wrong, humans are the best race in the PHB with dwarves a close second.

dex bonus for con sucks
Really though;Immunity to sleep This doesn't really come up in my games
+2 vs. enchantments Doesn't really fit a race of escaped slaves
Senses secret doors (incredibly useful) What an oddly specific ability
One of the longest life spans this doesn't have any in game value
Automatic proficiencies in 4 martial weapons half those proficiencies are redundant also any class that isn't already profient with these weapons pretty much sucks in combat
and low-light vision it ain't no darkvision

Temotei
2010-04-13, 12:12 AM
Drow

+2 Dex, -2 Str, -2 Cha
Medium size
Base land speed of 30 feet
Darkvision 120 feet
+2 racial bonus on saves against poison
+4 racial bonus to Hide and Move Silently
+2 racial bonus to Listen and Spot
Darkness SLA 1/day
True strike SLA 1/day
Reduce person SLA 1/day
Level adjustment +0

Sorry for the sloppiness, but I'm feeling really lazy. :smallamused: Change as you will. Perhaps a poison use ability would do fine. Take out reduce person then, probably.

draco_nite
2010-04-13, 04:56 AM
My DM thinks Elves are overpowered, and could almost have a +1 level adjustment. He doesn't houserule that in, but it's his opinion.

Really though;

Immunity to sleep
+2 vs. enchantments
and low-light vision

That, and there are so many variations of elves that you can find one that suits almost any class.

Human - Always pick this race. Always.
Dwarf - lolfullplate
Elf - The guy who looks for doors and stands watch while everyone sleeps.
Half Elf - CRAP
Half Orc - RAR HULK SMASH
Halfling - Tomi Undergallows
Gnome - o hey i herd u liek casting with +2 con

Djinn_in_Tonic
2010-04-13, 09:22 AM
Yeah as elves stand in 3.5 they kinda suck statwise.
Kalishtar do the non sleeping thing better plus I typically avoid SOL spells.
A dodge bonus against giants would be fitting.

Basically I want to request stats for 3 kinds of elves;
Aerenal Elves: I got rid of those stupid deathless and instead made this area with a strong tie to Thelanis, eladrin and the fey. The time feature of Thelanis has made these elves long lived however they have more slower/delicate metabolism and are aloof masters of the arcane.
Valenar Elves: Basically tLotR kick ass elves. They are culturally similar to klingons, "Today is a good day to die." with a medieval middle eastern aesthetic and fighting style (Scimitars/falchions/riding mares).
Drow: Basically these guys are sneaky elves, they were slaves who watched over the other slaves so they are observant and cruel. Most take the ninja class because the drow have strong ties to powers of darkness stealth and poison. Culturally these drow are very backward, think the natives on pirates of the Caribbean or king kong.

looking for LA+0

Not sure why you'd every remove the Deathless, as the psuedo-creepy undead-worshiping culture of the Aerenal Elves was pretty much the greatest thing to happen to Elven culture in Eberron, and a refreshing break from the "Wooo! Faeries!" "Hooray! Magic!" and "We're Snooty Elves! We're Better Than You!" aspects that elves have been shoe-horned into in every campaign setting...still, not my place to debate (although I personally think you're sacrificing some amazing flavor and just returning to the cliche and overdone status quo. :smalltongue:).

That said...

Aerenal Elves
+2 Dex, -2 Con, +2 Int, -2 Cha: Lithe and often frighteningly intelligent, Aerenal Elves are frailer than most other races, and their aloof nature puts many individuals off.
Superior Low-light Vision: Long centuries amongst the dusky forests of Aerenal have honed the vision of the Aerenal Elves. Aerenal Elves see four times further than normal in areas of low light exposure (although not complete darkness).
+2 Racial bonus to saving throws against spells and spell-like abilities: A familial connection to the Fae creatures has strengthened the Aerenal Elves' ability to resist foreign magicks.
+2 Racial bonus to Knowledge (Arcana) and Spellcraft: Training in the Arcane Arts is practically mandatory for all Elves raised on Aerenal.
Choose a single Arcane spell of 1st level. You may cast this spell 1/day as a spell-like ability. At 4th level and every 4 levels thereafter (8th, 12th, 16th, and 20th), you may cast it an additional time per day.

I can cover the rest later, if this begins to appeal.

Kobold-Bard
2010-04-13, 10:55 AM
Unless you refer to the Chaos Shuffle, then still, not really. Elves are NOT a powerful race. Compare to Dwarves guys, really.

Grey Elves have their place, as do Drow (Lesser only), Avariel (not worth the LA though :smallsigh:, cut 2 LA and we'll talk), and Star Elves (cause I think they're cool dammit :smalltongue:). Beyond that, the other elven subtypes fail pretty hard. I mean, Wood/Moon/Wild/Gold Elves all are just mirrors of one another, and Aquatic are Moon that live underwater. Woo. :smallsigh:

As for your stats, I'd just pick your favorite subtype and reflavor to taste. Perhaps add a unique ability to each, just cause.

I offer this (http://www.candlekeep.com/library/articles/avariel.htm). Yes we all know -4 Con is stupid (though my games changed Elf penalty to a Str one), but even as it is, my gf adored her Elven Druid that could frickin' fly.

Though she's one of those Elf loving, Druid obsessed hippy types.

arguskos
2010-04-13, 11:03 AM
GODS?! MINUS FOUR CON?!!?! Shoot me now. X_X

Make that a -2 Str, -2 Con, and we're in business. Though, I do like his retouched version. I approve.