PDA

View Full Version : Zaaman-Rul Reborn! [IC]

Pages : [1] 2

arguskos
2010-04-13, 12:33 AM
"Welcome to Waypoint!"

The tattered sign flapped in the breeze, as you walked up the mountain path towards the crap-hole that passed for a town. The perpetually soot-filled skies above let through just enough light from beyond to guide your path forward, and soon you found yourself in Waypoint, the biggest town in the Spinetooth Mountains, the range that separates the human empire of Intolar and the goblinoid land of Khavghotan.

Waypoint was famous as a place where anyone could go to vanish. Settled by an orog legion in the wake of the Shadowstar Wars, Waypoint has existed as a haphazard collection of shanties, tents, slums, and actual buildings ever since. You each have arrived for your own reasons, and find yourself sharing the only inn in town, the Rusty Helmet.

The interior of the inn is smoky, as a damp clump of what may be wood burns lazily in the fireplace. The crowd is sparse, but in it you spot orog warriors, bugbear shamans, at least a few illithid merchants, one elf technomancer working on a gizmo, and a few grimy humans, trying to eat in peace. The barkeep, a grizzled old hobgoblin, looks up as you each straggle in.

"What'll ye have? And me warn ye, no roughin', or it be th' col' fer ye."

Trodon
2010-04-13, 09:44 AM
A human in in early twenties walks in takes a quick look around and walks to the bar and sits down. "A mug of ale please."

arguskos
2010-04-13, 10:35 AM
The hobgoblin pours a black ale that smells of tar and sulphur, has a waitress take it to the human, and shouts, "Oi! Atta'll be five silvers, an' one fer da girl."

Trodon
2010-04-13, 11:59 AM
"Thank you." Erik says a he pulls out a gold coin and sets it down on the bar. "Keep the change." He picks up his ale and walk over to an empty table and sits down, slowly sipping on it.

arguskos
2010-04-13, 04:21 PM
As Erik sits, and the tavern ebbs and flows (as taverns do), a robed and cloaked figure appears at Erik's side. "Say, guv'nor, you lookin' for a trinket, mayhaps? I gots one wit your name on it, I do."

rrkkskrrk
2010-04-13, 06:09 PM
Ilsherlsine pulls a chair from Erik's table and takes a seat, waiting until an appropriate gap in the conversation before speaking:
"May I recommend myself to you to share a room with when you make your payment? Given that you do not want to be followed, I would propose that it would be better to have a companion you know than to find the door opening in the middle of the night and be unsure as to whether it was an assailant or merely another traveller renting out the bed opposite."

arguskos
2010-04-13, 06:28 PM
"Oi! Squidgy! What'll it be fer ye? Room? Ale? We got a good imported squid drink, if ye wants one."

Trodon
2010-04-13, 07:48 PM
As the robed figure appears at his side Erik puts his hand on his sword. "Maybe, what kind of a trinket and what dose it do?"

Once Ilsherlsine sits down Erik turns. "Yes, I'd be happy to share a room with you, but first I think introductions are in order, I am Erik." As he says his name Erik holds out a hand for shaking.

rrkkskrrk
2010-04-13, 08:16 PM
"A room, if you please. The one on the corner is least frequently used, I believe. For two."
He turns to Erik, and extends a hand, tentacles protruding in the same direction.
"Ilsherlsine Hol Thuum. Consulting detective."

Trodon
2010-04-13, 08:22 PM
"Pleased to meet you." Erik says as he shakes hands with Ilsherlsine.

Temotei
2010-04-13, 09:41 PM
Looks like someone's got a new friend. Mind if I join in the fun?

Horgoth towers next to the two, smiling. His lips curl almost frighteningly, but the big brute's eyes give away his true nature of naivety and ignorant bliss.

Please?

Trodon
2010-04-13, 10:46 PM
"But of course, pull up a chair and sit, I am Erik." Erik smiles at Horgoth.

Temotei
2010-04-13, 11:27 PM
Call me Horgoth the Thunderer!

The orog's voice booms throughout the inn, practically echoing, despite the wooden walls.

And you, illithid?

arguskos
2010-04-14, 12:10 AM
@Erik: "A trinket of great value to you. Something from the Thunder, it be. 500 golds, I be asking, yes?"

@Ilsherlsine: The barkeep nods. "Oi! Girl! Fix de squid da corner room, and step fast!" He turns back to Ilsherlsine. "Dat's a gold a day, each o' ya."

@Horgoth: "Ha! 'Rog, yer stuff be on da house! Oi! Girl!" The serving girl brings you a pitcher of a famous, and excellent, stout from the heart of Khavghotan, and a mug for it. "A coin, sir, for the service?" She asks nervously.

Temotei
2010-04-14, 12:35 AM
At first, Horgoth seems taken aback by the hobgoblin's thoughts of him being a hobgoblin as well, but he manages to stifle his true feelings when he sees the liquid.

Of course, milady.

He flips a coin in his hand.

[roll0]

Tails! You may not have good luck, but perseverance will get you through the day!

Horgoth takes the mug, guzzling down the contents as a child with free reign would devour candy.

Trodon
2010-04-14, 06:47 AM
"500 Gold? Yeah, why not." Erik says as he pulls out 500 gold and waits until he had the trinket to hand it to the robed figure.
"So, what is it that you specialize is Horgoth?"
"Here you go miss." Erik says as he gives the serving girl two gold.

arguskos
2010-04-14, 10:56 AM
"Good decision, oh lucky one." The robed figure draws out a flat stone about 2 inches across, and hands it to Erik, taking the gold as he does. And, as fast as he appeared, he vanishes back into the crowd. The stone is polished and worn, and on one side, there is embossed a scarlet lightning bolt, the unmistakable symbol of the Vghotan's Thunder clan.

Trodon
2010-04-14, 11:32 AM
Erik feels across the stone and the lightning bolt, searching for anything.

OOC: Search check. [roll0]

Edit: OOC: Wow, a 12.

rrkkskrrk
2010-04-14, 11:44 AM
Ilsherlsine extends a hand to Horgoth ""Ilsherlsine, at your service." His other hand reaches out to Erik. "May I?"

So, with +11 on appraise, knowledge (local) and knowledge (history), and a +12 on perception, would I be able to tell anything about this other than the existence of the tribe?

arguskos
2010-04-14, 11:46 AM
rrkkskrrk

Yeah, you could. Roll it up, boyo.

@Erik: The stone is worn and smooth, as though handled a great many times by many hands. It's a grey stone, akin to granite, and polished to a shine, with the scarlet lightning bolt on one side. The other side of the flat stone is blank.

Trodon
2010-04-14, 11:49 AM
"Yes of course, I wonder what is dose." Erik says as he hands the stone to Ilsherlsine.

OOC: I love useless information! :smalltongue:

rrkkskrrk
2010-04-14, 11:52 AM
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll0]
[roll1]
Trodon
I roll high, and we'll be flooded with the stuff. Still, useful(/less) information is my shtick.
Edit: Apparently you can't preview rolled posts for formatting either

arguskos
2010-04-14, 11:53 AM
Try again, rrkkskrrk. Your rolls were broken. :smallwink: Yeah, no previewing, you have to just take the plunge. :smallwink:

rrkkskrrk
2010-04-14, 11:55 AM
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
Woah, low rolls.

arguskos
2010-04-14, 12:02 PM
rrkk

Your perception doesn't tell you much, though with your tuned illithid senses, you discern that it was handled by many large, rough hands.

The appraise shows you only that it's worth a few hundred gp as a art object, probably more to a Khavghotani goblinoid.

History tells you that the Vghotan's Thunder clan is the most religious clan in Khavghotani society. They have a long history of hatred of humans, including many famous battles with Intolian armies. They are savage and brutal, believing in Vghotan's creed of "victory through strength".

Local tells you that the Vghotan's Thunder tribe has recently been embroiled in political fights with another powerful clan, the Hasrakra (Those Who Will Not Bow in Goblin) clan. The Thunderers believe now is the time for war against Intolar while they are weak, and the Hasrakra believe it is time to bury the hatchet, so to speak.

EDIT: yeah, your first two sucked. The latter two were pretty solid though.

rrkkskrrk
2010-04-14, 12:08 PM
Oh, and using that last perception check: what race was our cloaked friend? Assuming I had a chance to see his hands or any other features.
Ah well, I'd have had to take another post to do it anyway, the formatting on two of the rolls were broken before previewing.
Edit: Ah well. Enough to work with, anyway.

"You have a history with the goblinoid races, Erik. Our friend seems to want you to remember it."

arguskos
2010-04-14, 12:09 PM
rrkk

Nah, wasn't nearly good enough.

EDIT: I'm AFK for maybe an hour or so, gotta go do some errands. I'll be back on shortlyish.

arguskos
2010-04-14, 12:27 PM
As you discern the hidden secrets of the stone, you hear a trumpet from outside. Everyone recognizes it as the signal horn of the Intolian Empire. The bar flies into a frenzy of activity, as everyone rushes outside to see what's going on, leaving you quite suddenly alone in the room... except for the elven technomancer, who it seems is completely absorbed in his work, and the two illithid merchants, who upon hearing the horn look at one another, shrug, and continue conversing telepathically.

rrkkskrrk
2010-04-14, 12:30 PM
Ilsherlsine wanders casually to the door or a suitable window, leaning against the frame to present a lower profile and examining events outside.

Trodon
2010-04-14, 12:52 PM
"Yes, I do." Erik replies, once the trumpet sounds Erik grabs the stone, puts it in a pocket, and runs outside with re rest of the crowd.

Temotei
2010-04-14, 04:01 PM
I th...

*Signal horn of Intolia*

Horgoth blinks several times, not doing anything for several moments. Then he gets up, steps out of the inn without a word, and sits on the ground against the inn's wall to watch.

Intolians are funny to watch.

arguskos
2010-04-14, 04:06 PM
Outside, anarchy reigns (more than it does usually, anyways). The townsfolk have gathered in the center of the ramshackle village to hear the words of the hornblower, a proud and regal man clad in golden plate mail, bestride a fine warhorse. He blows upon the horn again, a loud and clear note, then unfurls a scroll, and begins to read.

"Citizens of the town of Waypoint! This is a decree from the Lord of Intolar, the Thirty-First Emperor of Humanity! You are hereby granted 1 day to vacate these lands, lest there be armed conflict for them, for it is the will of the Emperor that Waypoint be retaken for humanity!"

He puts the scroll away, blows a single note on his horn, and turns to ride back north towards Intolar.

Temotei
2010-04-14, 04:13 PM
Horgoth kicks off the wall with all his might, causing several people in front of him to fall over as he "gracefully" steps over them.

WHAT?! YOU HAVE NO RIGHT!

arguskos
2010-04-14, 04:31 PM
The herald turns at the orog's outburst. "You are correct. I have no right. My Emperor, however, does." He sneers at Horgoth as he continues. "If I were you, beast, I would flee before his wroth."

Trodon
2010-04-14, 04:32 PM
"NO! YOU CAN'T DO THIS!" Erik is, obviously, not happy with that statement.

arguskos
2010-04-14, 04:35 PM
The herald, seeing Erik's face in the crowd, dismounts abruptly, and walks towards him. In Intolian, he addresses Erik directly. <Fellow, I have no desire to see your blood spilled. Do not make the mistake of staying here, for our Father has made his decrees. Please, for your sake, flee this place at once, or find yourself branded a traitor.>

Trodon
2010-04-14, 04:40 PM
Erik draws his shortsword. "Then I am a traitor try to kill me now if you wish, you will most likely fail." Erik eyes are burning with hate at this point. I will never let another village burn like mine did if I can help it.

Temotei
2010-04-14, 04:40 PM
Horgoth smiles, but this time, it's not so childish.

I may be a beast, but at least I'm not a thief.

A sneer crosses his big lips and fat grey nose.

Seeing Erik's exchange, the muscled orog moves closer to him, in case it comes to blows.

Whispering:
It is not honorable to kill the messenger. Even if we did, it would not stop the army. It would make them come faster, wouldn't it? Roughing him up, though...that I'm alright with. Just don't hurt him too badly.

arguskos
2010-04-14, 04:42 PM
<Brother, please! Your Father does not wish your blood, nor any blood if it can be helped! I have done as commanded, and now, they must decide to stand and die, or to flee.> His eyes grow sad, for just a moment, he turns, and he remounts his horse, ignoring the orog. "You have been warned. Leave with the Emperor's Grace, or stay and die by His Sword. For my part, I would see you leave, but that is not my choice, it is yours."

With his mission complete, he rides north, leaving Waypoint to it's own devices.

Trodon
2010-04-14, 04:45 PM
"I will die defending this and any village from any army, I choose to stay." Erik puts his sword away, keeping his hand on it.

arguskos
2010-04-14, 04:48 PM
Behind Erik, a figure in the crowd speaks. "Folk of Waypoin, do not fear, for you do not stand alone."

The crowd turns to see a goblin, aged, yet commanding in presence. "Khavghotan will not permit this travesty to occur. We shall see the humans slain, first! So does Chu'kath, Chieftain of the Dorloth Clan, so swear." The goblin walks over to where a worg is chained up by the entry to the Rusty Helmet and mounts it.

Temotei
2010-04-16, 11:35 PM
What's your deal? I've been here since my birth. The goblinoids and humans have fought considerably, but...what would you have to gain?

arguskos
2010-04-16, 11:57 PM
"Waypoint is valuable to my people, as it is, not as a Intolian vassal. It will be free." He mumbles something under his breath, then mounts his worg.

"Hold for three days."

arguskos
2010-04-17, 11:20 AM
Perception checks, if you please.

Temotei
2010-04-17, 11:40 AM
Perception (?): [roll0]

arguskos
2010-04-17, 11:44 AM
OOC:

Good catch on the Perception. Also, your roll was terribad. You suffer a -2? Damn man, I didn't know. :smallfrown:

Kobold-Bard
2010-04-17, 04:58 PM
Assuming I qualify too:
Perception: [roll0]
Erastus

Having left his usual reading spot in the inn Erastus returned his tome to his pack as the messenger and the Goblin rode off.

"That was foolish. He is duty bound to give a full account of his travels. When he tells the Emperor, or whomever he reports to about you the army will target you. I don't know about your power, but you may have just signed your own death warrant."

The words are aimed at Erik. The speaker is a shorter than average Elf, only Human in height and less so in weight. He wears simple blue/grey robes and an intricate silver headband across his ears and around his head. He wears simple wire spectacles and has a backpack filled with books.

arguskos
2010-04-17, 05:30 PM
As the goblin mounts his worg and rides away, the crowd begins breaking up, muttering and grumbling about the proclamations. As it does so, an old and brutish orog approaches Erik, Erastus, and Horgoth. "Come with me." He gestures towards the Rusted Helmet, which has been blocked off by a pair of orog warriors.

Horgoth

You recognize this orog. He is Ezar, the chieftain of Waypoint's orogs, and is a friend of your family. You grew up knowing Ezar, as he often spoke with your parents while you were a child, though you never knew the topic.

rrkkskrrk
2010-04-17, 05:33 PM
[roll=perception]1d20+12
[/spoiler]
Ilsherlsine retreats back into the inn (having been in the doorway and thus not blocked off by the new guards), taking a table close to where he expects the orogs to be sitting.

rrkkskrrk
2010-04-17, 05:35 PM
Oops, broke my rolls. Again.
[roll0]
Evidently the clouds are getting in my eyes.

Trodon
2010-04-17, 07:43 PM
"Yes I believe I just did, I am Erik what are you known by?" Erik asks the elf, removing his hand from his sword.

arguskos
2010-04-17, 09:34 PM
Erik

Feel like rolling a perception? :smallwink:

Horgoth

You, thanks to the thickness of the crowd, don't catch a damn thing.

Ilsherlsine

Since you ARE inside, you can't quite hear what the goblin muttered, though you caught the word "save".

Erastus

You had a plenty good enough check. When Chu'kath muttered, you caught that what he said was, "Or, if we cannot save it, it will burn."

Further, you noticed out of the corner of your eye that there was a figure watching you and Erik specifically. But, they apparently noticed your attention, and when you tried for a better look, they weren't there.

Trodon
2010-04-17, 11:12 PM
OOC: Oh yeah, that might be good. :smalltongue:

[roll0]

arguskos
2010-04-17, 11:27 PM
Erik

You manage to overhear something. When Chu'kath muttered, you caught that what he said was, "Or, if we cannot save it, it will burn."

Kobold-Bard
2010-04-18, 04:05 AM
Erastus

"Erastus Wordsmith. And if you seek death so readily, the nothing I say will save you."

The Elf will then return to the inn, signalling for a refill as he brightens the light (oil lamp I assume) in his little corner and pulls out his book again. (Anyone who is watching when the light is adjusted see his grey robes shimmer blue for a split second).

Temotei
2010-04-18, 08:12 PM
Of course.

Horgoth follows the orog immediately after being told to follow, moving so quickly through the crowd that anything worth hearing isn't heard.

'Cause that's just his style.

arguskos
2010-04-18, 08:36 PM
The orog, satisfied that everyone has followed him, takes a table in the dead center of the inn. He ignores the elven technomancer and the illithid merchants, who are doing what they were earlier, and gestures to you all to sit. "You heard the talk outside, I trust. I will not permit this to take place. I... we have need of your services."

OOC:

Trodon, I'm assuming Erik just comes along so we can get this moving. :smallwink:

rrkkskrrk
2010-04-18, 08:39 PM
While I've already sat at another table, I assume "all of you" means Ilsherlsine as well? Or am I still merely an eavedropper?

arguskos
2010-04-18, 08:42 PM
He gestured at you, but there was no technical command. It might not be a bad plan to join, of course, but it's your call. :smallwink:

Temotei
2010-04-18, 08:43 PM
Horgoth blinks, waiting for more.

...go on, Chief.

rrkkskrrk
2010-04-18, 08:48 PM
I have an exceptionally nosy character, especially for a character with no nose.

"You present an intruiging conundrum, sir. I presume that you intend to prevent a war. Our Intolian friend's ultimatum would seem to suggest we have a day to do it in. You have a plan."
The last part is simply stated, rather than phrased as a question, but Ilsherlsine makes sure to leave a suitable gap after it.

arguskos
2010-04-18, 08:52 PM
"Horgoth, I have spoken with Prath, and we agree, it is time for your djemma." The old warrior sighs. "Illithid, I wish it were otherwise, but you are correct, I do have a plan."

Horgoth and anyone who makes a DC 20 Knowledge (history) check

The djemma is a ritual of ascension, only undertaken in stressful or dangerous times. It signifies an orog's passage from clan member to clan leader, given by a chieftain to name a successor, in case it is required in the near future. Djemma are rare, and even if the aspirant dies in the attempt, they are looked on with honor and respect.

Horgoth only

There was only one previous djemma attempt in your lifetime in Waypoint. The chieftain's son, Eizat, was named, but he died in the attempt.

rrkkskrrk
2010-04-18, 08:57 PM
Well, let's see how low I can roll this time.
[roll0]
See, this +11 would be useful, if only I could roll anything above a 10.

arguskos
2010-04-18, 08:59 PM
rrkkskrrk

OUCH. :smallsigh:

Well, it's likely that Horgoth will share the details, so, you'll figure it out soon enough. Also, like how I basically said "hey, rrkk, roll a die"? :smallcool:

Temotei
2010-04-18, 09:11 PM
My djemma...is to save the people or to save their home?

arguskos
2010-04-18, 09:12 PM
"Neither, and yet both. You know of your mother's sister?"

Temotei
2010-04-18, 09:16 PM
The orog's face contorts into a sort of apprehensive comprehension.

Yes.

arguskos
2010-04-18, 09:23 PM
"Your mother, around the time she vanished, went to see her sister. I do not know why, nor does Prath, but shortly thereafter, a mage visited me in my tent one evening. He said the time would come when we needed their aid, him and his brethren, and that when it came, to send Varta's child to them. The time is now, and you must go to them. Their tower lies one day to the west of here, high in the mountains. Go, and tell them of the bargain struck, and of our need." Ezar sighs. "I... do not like this, but it is what we need."

He turns to Erik, Erastus, and Ilsherlsine. "You do not share our ways, nor Horgoth's burden, but I ask of you, please, aid him. Waypoint needs you. My people need you."

rrkkskrrk
2010-04-18, 09:28 PM
"Open warfare is bad for business, and I have...talents for persuasion. I will travel, but do not expect me to act as a bodyguard. If the wars begin in earnest, I may choose instead to return to Intolar. I hope we understand each other."

arguskos
2010-04-18, 09:30 PM
"Illithid, if Intolar launches a crusade, you will be as hunted as we. Let us both seek to prevent that."

rrkkskrrk
2010-04-18, 09:36 PM
"As I have said, sir. I have no wish for war. I merely wish to make my intentions clear should our mission, as it were, fail. Until then, I am your servant."

arguskos
2010-04-18, 09:38 PM
"For what it is worth, thank you, illithid. Your people are cowardly, but you have honor, nonetheless." He nods to you. "And the rest of you? Will you help? Or do we stand alone?"

Temotei
2010-04-18, 11:02 PM
You never asked me if I would do this, oh insensitive chieftain.

Horgoth pauses for a moment, then claps Ezar on the shoulder.

Buahaha! I never could keep a straight face joking around you. You...you are penetrating, you know that?

He looks at the others.

This is my quest. You have no obligation to go along, but I guarantee there will be adventure and excitement, along with the very real possibility of reward.

arguskos
2010-04-18, 11:06 PM
Ezar smiles. "You have Varta's humor, Horgoth." He pulls out a knife from his belt, and hands it to Horgoth. "Here, a gift for your djemma, as is customary. I had planned to give this to Eizat upon his return, but I sense you may need it now."

The knife itself is small, barely even a dagger, and not even double sided. However, the cutting edge is serrated, and you can make out that there is a small rune inscribed into the base of the blade that glows a dull red.

Temotei
2010-04-18, 11:18 PM
Thank you. I promise to return with it.

A smirk and a short-lived chuckle.

This is Ezar, the chieftain. I'm Horgoth the Thunderer, for you who don't know.

rrkkskrrk
2010-04-18, 11:22 PM
Ilsherlsine extends a hand, though his eyes remain fixed on an interestingly-shaped knot in the table. "A pleasure. Ilsherlsine Hol Thuul, at your service."

arguskos
2010-04-18, 11:24 PM
Ezar does not take your hand. "A pleasure, I'm certain. Will you need anything for your journey, Ilsherlsine, or are you self-sufficient?"

rrkkskrrk
2010-04-18, 11:28 PM
"My needs depend on what I am called on to do, but I shall survive on my own means. I have no need of food, in any case, and my full detecting arsenal is too cumbersome to carry. It remains in Intolar, to my chagrin."

Trodon
2010-04-18, 11:45 PM
OOC: Sorry, brother locked me in the workshop, took me a little bit to get out.

"I will help, everything I can and do to help these people. I am Erik, pleased to meet you."

arguskos
2010-04-18, 11:58 PM
Locked you in the workshop? Damn, your brother sucks. :smallyuk:

"Erik. A pleasure. What did the messenger say to you?, Erik?"

Trodon
2010-04-19, 12:05 AM
OOC: Yeah, I don't think he meant to it was probably just habit.

"He told me to leave or die, basically."

arguskos
2010-04-19, 12:10 AM
"You were lucky. Normally, they gut expatriates on the spot. He must have liked you." Ezar smiles, and then shakes his head. "Anyways, do you need anything, Erik, for the journey? Supplies perhaps?"

Trodon
2010-04-19, 12:15 AM
Only food and water I believe."

arguskos
2010-04-19, 12:24 AM
"We do not have anything fancy, but we can provide you with food and drink." Ezar gestures to one of the orog guards, and exchanges a few words in Orog with him, then he turns and hurries outside.

Temotei
2010-04-19, 12:26 AM
Perception to hear what they're saying: [roll0]

arguskos
2010-04-19, 12:27 AM
Horgoth

You hear... not a damned thing.

arguskos
2010-04-19, 10:51 AM
Erastus

Though you don't make the knowledge check, you do catch everything that is said, though you're not at the table. Further, you actually overhear what Ezar says to his orog compatriot:
<Pack some rations and water into several bags for them. Quickly.>
<Yes, chieftain.>

Kobold-Bard
2010-04-19, 11:00 AM
Erastus

Despite trying to block it out, Erastus' ears were too keen for his own good.

"You lot are just plain determined to get yourselves killed aren't you. Why would you go along with this man you barely know on such a dangerous endevour?"

Despite his sarcastic tone, he seems genuinely curious.

arguskos
2010-04-19, 11:15 AM
Ezar, having overlooked the elf in the corner, looks surprised. "And would you condemn us to death then, elf?"

Kobold-Bard
2010-04-19, 11:31 AM
Erastus

"Certainly not. I can understand why, Horgoth was it, would undertake this mission, but I am noticing a self-destructive pattern in the Human's decisions that is intriguing. In the space of 10 minutes he has made himself a target of the incoming army and agreed to risk his life on a mission from a stranger with little to no persuasion."

arguskos
2010-04-19, 11:36 AM
Ezar snorts. "Erik's decisions are his own, as are your decisions. The point remains that you are endangered here as well. Perhaps you should aid us, that you may live to see another day."

Kobold-Bard
2010-04-19, 11:48 AM
Erastus

"Unlike you I have no connection to this place. I fully intended to leave tomorrow and continue my studies elsewhere. However your tale of entowered Mages intrigues me, I have a somewhat obscure magical talent, most Wizards I meet seem willing to trade knowledge.

Tell you what, I will join you. I was leaving anyway, and Erik looks far more appetising than me so wild beasts shouldn't be too much of a problem."

arguskos
2010-04-19, 12:09 PM
"Though I do not respect your motivations, I understand them. Thank you, regardless." Ezar grimaces.

Kobold-Bard
2010-04-19, 12:13 PM
Erastus

"Well I respect your motivations, but I do think them misguided. Regardless, when does our little band leave? And while I think on it, what does each of you bring to the endeavour?"

Trodon
2010-04-19, 02:24 PM
"I am ready whenever, I can influence people well if that appeals to you, I can offer some skill in combat, not much but more than some that I have seen.

Temotei
2010-04-19, 03:31 PM
We bring everything we can. It's that or death.

arguskos
2010-04-19, 03:44 PM
"Spoken like a true warrior, Horgoth. As for your departure, you leave immediately. Take this map, it will guide you." He unrolls a map on the table, and then stands. "The day is young yet, with perhaps a half-day until fade. You must go, and quickly."

Given the dust cloud that surrounds Z-R, there is no "noon" or "sunrise/sunset". Instead, people refer to the glow and the fade (the former is when the sun is shining on the dust, and the latter is when it is not, day and night in other words). Thought I'd mention that.

Kobold-Bard
2010-04-19, 05:12 PM
Erastus

"Then too our doom do we travel!"

Erastus' over the top action to join this statement probably makes th NPCs look at him a bit funny, but who cares, he's an Elf who wears glasses he doesn't need. He's a bit eccentric.

arguskos
2010-04-19, 05:17 PM
Ezar stares at the elf for a moment, then just shakes his head and ignores him. "If there is nothing further, I must attend to Waypoint's defenses."

Two things.

1. It's "to", not "too". :smalltongue:

2. ...I thought he needed glasses. Huh.

Kobold-Bard
2010-04-19, 05:19 PM
((1. It is indeed. Drunk posting will do that to you :smalltongue:

2. Nope it's right there in his sheet, the glasses are just to make people hink he's a bit more academic.))

Temotei
2010-04-19, 05:21 PM
RIGHT ON!

Horgoth chest bumps into the elf, hoping not to crush him in the process.

arguskos
2010-04-19, 05:22 PM
"Just like your mother, in so many ways."

Missed that. Also, drunk posting=failure, yet, entertaining failure. Continue. :smallamused:

9 seconds.

Trodon
2010-04-19, 10:58 PM
"Then let us be off." Erik stands up and starts to walk out the door.

arguskos
2010-04-19, 11:01 PM
"Indeed. Horgoth, see your father as you go. He's at the anvil, near the way into the western mountains. Now, I leave you to your task. May the spirits guide you." Ezar nods his head to you all once, and walks out of the inn.

Temotei
2010-04-19, 11:12 PM
My father will be...glad...to see me initiate my djemma. You may go ahead and wait or come with. It makes no difference.

Horgoth stands, walks out of the inn, and heads toward the anvil.

arguskos
2010-04-19, 11:17 PM
Hammering away at the anvil is Prath, just like every other day. However, today, he's hammering out a crude bronze blade instead of the farming implements and minor nick-nacks he usually makes. He wipes his brow, and catches a glimpse of you coming. "Son! Where've you been? Did you hear what the urkoag said?! I've been worried, but couldn't leave the forge."

urkoag is Orog slang, a very very derogatory term for human. It's akin to the N-word used to describe African-Americans in reality, perhaps worse.

Temotei
2010-04-19, 11:39 PM
I heard.

Horgoth looks at his father with those inherited eyes (from his mother) intently.

Are you already making weapons for the siege?

OoC: So...we're using Concentration as a skill? I think I missed that. I'll revise my skills.

arguskos
2010-04-19, 11:41 PM
"Yes, a runner from Ezar asked me to get started. We don't have enough for all the warriors. I'll work through the night, as fast as I can. It's the least to do."

OOC

Yeah, we are, cause it doesn't exist in PF (was rolled into normal casting, IIRC).

Totally forgot to tell you. Go ahead and shuffle points about as you will. Man I blank out sometimes.

Temotei
2010-04-19, 11:46 PM
I talked to Ezar as well. This is my djemma.

Horgoth stares at the weapon being pounded on, then at the hammer gradually slowing after his statement like a train at a station.

arguskos
2010-04-19, 11:47 PM
Prath keeps hammering for a moment... then slowly stops as what Horgoth said sinks in. "Your... your what? Did you really just say that? Tell me that was an ill-timed jest, son."

Temotei
2010-04-19, 11:53 PM
The Thunderer raises his eyes to his father's.

I will prevail. We will prevail.

...and no. However bad I am at joking, Dad, you know I'm not that bad.

Horgoth smirks.

Most of the time.

arguskos
2010-04-19, 11:58 PM
"It's true then. Dammit, I didn't want this for you, to die like Ezar's boy, Eizat. However, if true, it means Ezar feels you can perhaps save our town." He steps back from the anvil, and takes a deep breath. Suddenly, he gets a flash of inspiration that you can see on his face. "Stay here a moment, Horgoth." He turns and moves into the shack behind the smithy that is your family's home.

Temotei
2010-04-20, 12:10 AM
Horgoth picks up the bronze blade and swings it a few times, the slashing, waving movements of the sword a little awkward in his hand.

Of course, this is just to pass the time rather than to provide any critique. A day isn't much to prepare for a big battle.

arguskos
2010-04-20, 12:11 AM
A few moments later, he returns, with a large chest that you recognize as having belonged to Varta. "I told you once that I couldn't open this chest. That's true. You can though."

Temotei
2010-04-20, 12:21 AM
Why me? You've never said.

Horgoth takes the chest while asking, preparing himself for whatever might be inside.

Perception: [roll0]
Knowledge (arcana): [roll1]

OoC: Look at the sheet for updated skills and ability scores, as well as the statistic block. I've taken Exotic Weapon Proficiency with the orcish dragon paw as well.

Also, the dice hate me.

arguskos
2010-04-20, 12:26 AM
At your touch, there is a click from the lock.

"You are your mother's son, Horgoth. Her blood empowers you, and so, you can open that which is hers. I never told you because you weren't ready for it. I was going to tell you when you took up a trade, but since that's not likely to occur, now's the only chance we'll get."

OOC

Your checks don't tell you squat.

Also, yeah, wow, you rolled frikkin' AWFUL. What's that about? Stop it. :smalltongue:

Temotei
2010-04-20, 12:28 AM
Horgoth opens the chest.

arguskos
2010-04-20, 12:32 AM
Inside there are a trio of disconnected blades, and a small green orb about the size of a lemon. The orb is made of a clear green crystal, and pulses slowly with an inner light. It is warm to the touch, and somehow, feels... right.

Prath sharply inhales at the sight of the blades. "That's... that's a dragon's paw, an orog weapon from before we were slaves. Few still exist, and fewer still are in good repair. Horgoth, Varta never showed me this, not once. Perhaps I can forge it together anew."

Temotei
2010-04-20, 12:34 AM
Horgoth drops the orb unceremoniously into the pocket of his loose clothing.

Please.

The response comes as a croak.

arguskos
2010-04-20, 12:37 AM
Prath nods. "Ezar will wait. It'll be here when you get back... assuming we are still here, that is." He grows somber for a moment.

"Go, djarmath, go. May the spirits watch over you, and may your foes fall swiftly."

OOC

Djarmath is Orog for "he who is on the djemma". It's a term of respect.

Temotei
2010-04-20, 12:46 AM
The same for you, djarmarth.

OoC: Djarmarth means "related to djarmath."

arguskos
2010-04-20, 12:49 AM
Prath nods once, picks up his hammer, and takes the dragon's paw pieces to the forge to be remade.

OOC EVERYONE READ:

Btw, unless anyone posts with any actions in town, my next post will take us out of Waypoint, and on towards some combat (yay killing).

If anyone have actions or preparations for the road, post them now, because once you all check in (and you all should check in), we're going straight into a fight (skipping past some scenery, which I will describe in loving detail dammit). :smallwink:

Trodon
2010-04-20, 09:23 AM
OOC: Checking in. You guys post to much, you know that? :smalltongue: I wish to apologize for the fact that my posting has gone down dramatically since we started the game, I have a lot more work to do than I did.

Erik has been wondering relatively close to Horgoth, not really doing anything on importance.

Kobold-Bard
2010-04-20, 10:05 AM
Erastus

Erastus readies his belongings, checking out of the inn and goes to the rendezvous point.

Temotei
2010-04-20, 04:44 PM
Thank you for coming, Erik. You must understand: this is...fairly historic. I'm not sure I'll come back alive, and I'm not sure you or any of the others will either. The thing is...if we do, we'll most likely save a lot of people. The djemma is a sacred thing to orogs. Success means I ascend as leader. Failure means great honor in my sacrifice for everyone else. Essentially, it's a really extreme rite of passage.

Anyway, let's go.

arguskos
2010-04-20, 04:56 PM
OOC:

One nitpick there, Temotei. Succeeding in your djemma means you are the chieftain's heir, and take leadership when he dies. But yeah, you=tribe leader and whatnot. :smallbiggrin:

Also, rrkkskrrk, we await thy check-in, and we'll move forward.

rrkkskrrk
2010-04-20, 08:08 PM
I check in.

arguskos
2010-04-21, 11:16 AM
OOC:

Thank you gentlemen. Now, to advance out of the town and into the mountains. :smallamused:

Ezar's map shows a path leading into the Spinetooth Mountains to the west of the town of Waypoint, specifically, to a particular mountain known locally as the Frozen Killer. Happily, the mage's tower is not high enough up that you risk freezing to death, though the wind is chill as it whips past you. There is no trail, and the way is hard, as you pick your way towards your goal.

The flora is sparse, and the fauna even more so. Waypoint is not that hospitable to start with, and the mountains are even less kind. As the day grows shorter, it becomes clear that the fade is upon you, and soon you'll need to stop for camp. You reach a small clearing, a flat plane in the mountains, perhaps 100 ft long and 20 feet wide at the widest.

Perceptions:

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
Good rolls, everyone (though, Ilsherlsine continues his talent of failing to roll over a 10 :smallsigh:).

Towards the end of the flat plane, you all spot a black, man-shaped figure, walking towards you with a steady gait.

Erik and Erastus:

You both discern that it's a skeleton of some type, with bones as black as hell, and a translucent field of shimmering black force around it. It wields a longsword with purpose, as it walks towards you.

arguskos
2010-04-21, 11:25 AM
Initiatives:

Horgoth: [roll0]
Erik: [roll1]
Ilsherlsine: [roll2]
Erastus: [roll3]

DM Only:

The direguard is 80 ft away.

AC: 16
HP: 39/39
Mwk Longsword: +8 (1d8+4/19-20)
Magic Missile: 1/3 rounds (3d4+3)
Blink 1/10 minutes (50% concealment, 6 rounds)

Direguard Init: [roll4]

Turn Order:
Ilsherlsine
Enemy
Erik
Horgoth
Erastus

Ilsherlsine, we await your actions. The creature is perhaps 80 ft away, and steadily closing that gap.

rrkkskrrk
2010-04-21, 06:52 PM
Ilsherlsine calls out a friendly greeting telepathically, though he brings his cane up into a more suitable position for fighting with, wary of any traveller in such a harsh area.

arguskos
2010-04-21, 07:55 PM
There is no response, not even static from a blocked thought, just... nothingness.

The creature shambles forward another 30 or so feet. It looks... like a skeleton, maybe? Perhaps just a very emancipated man, it's tough to tell from 50 ft, there seems to be some sort of visual interference.

DM Notes:

It uses it's Blink SLA and moves up 30 ft, within charge range now.

6 rounds left of Blink.

Trodon
2010-04-21, 08:03 PM
Erik will draw his sword and move up 20ft standing at the ready.

Temotei
2010-04-21, 10:38 PM
...Hey!

Horgoth pulls a concealed shortspear from his clothing (it took hours to do that properly!).

What are you doing out here?

arguskos
2010-04-21, 10:57 PM
The figure, hearing your words, looks up. Even from 50 ft, through the visual burring field surrounding it, you can all clearly see that it has a skull for a head, with a pair of burning red eyes. Its jaw opens, and a horrible croaking roar issues from it as it raises its longsword towards you.

OOC:

This is just a good fluffy moment, not really part of the turn order. :smallwink: Erastus, we're waiting for your action.

Kobold-Bard
2010-04-22, 01:27 AM
Erastus

"Well this is totally unexpected. An abomination against the world that probably wants to kill us. Shocking"

Despite his sarcastic tone he pulls out a crossbow, and aims it, but doesn't fire, he doesn't want to be the one who starts this blood bath.

"I can strengthen your blows or raise your defence. If you need it call out, they work within 60ft or so."

arguskos
2010-04-22, 11:25 AM
OOC:

New round. Ilsherlsine, you are up.

rrkkskrrk
2010-04-22, 01:39 PM
Ilsherlsine steps backwards slightly, trying to get a better look at the creature.

Fairly sure I qualify for another go at Perception, just to take in a few relevant details.
[roll0]
Also, knowledge of undead tends to fall under Knowledge (Religion), so I'm rolling that, with particular emphasis on the best ways of defeating, disabling or bypassing our unwelcome fellow-traveller.
[roll1]
And a Lore check for the same purpose, on the off-chance it reveals something different or that what we're facing isn't undead in nature.
[roll2]
Hey, I rolled over 10! Celebrations are in order.

arguskos
2010-04-22, 02:28 PM
rrkkskrrk:

Perception: Yep, it's a skeleton. There is some visual blurring though, as if it's not completely physical.
Religion: This is a direguard, a creation of crazed cultists of Xiombarg for the Intolian Empire. When the Empire declined to use them, on the grounds that they are undead and that's not cool guys, the cultists released them on the populace. Now, direguards roam the land randomly, fulfilling their only order: kill.
Lore: All of the above is confirmed, plus you glean that direguards have several powerful magical abilities. They can hurl bolts of force a great distance, are shrouded in protective fields of force, and can even shift back and forth to the Ethereal Plane rapidly.

Also, huzzah for nat 20s on Lore checks! :smallbiggrin:

You have a standard action left (all those checks+a step back is at least a move-equivalent, IMO).

rrkkskrrk
2010-04-22, 05:32 PM
Can't think of much to actually do with my action at the minute, but a quick question: is my sneak attack going by the Pathfinder model (no explicit banning of what you can and can't sneak attack) or the 3.5 one? (Can't sneak attack undead at all) Just thought I'd clear that up, since we're using a mix of the two rulesets.
In any case...

Ilsherlsine continues to hang back, and relays what he knows to the others, along with any other pertinent observations.

arguskos
2010-04-22, 10:45 PM
rrkk:

We'll do it this way: you can sneak attack anything, unless it doesn't actually have a form to impede (oozes, some plants, elementals, some undead, swarms, similar such things). In this case, you can damage joints or whatever, so, yeah, there you go.

The creature, realizing that Erik is close enough to be attacked, suddenly rushes forwards in a wild rage, swinging it's longsword with murderous intent, but just grazing the tip on your armor.

Attack/Dmg Rolls

Atk: [roll0]
Dmg: [roll1]

Doesn't hit. I rule that defender wins in a tie, for future reference. Not sure how other folks do it, but I know not everyone does it as such.

Trodon
2010-04-23, 07:57 AM
As the creature barley misses Erik sighs. Well, it's me and the skeleton, this fight would be easier if there was a wolf to help. Erik thinks as he attacks with his sword.

[roll0] (+2 if the wolf appears now as opposed t0 the end of my turn.)
[roll1]

OOC: Using "These things just happen" to activate "It came out of nowhere" It's a summon monster spell with the number equaling 1/2 of my class level in suck child. I'll let you control it, that's how I was taught how it works, or do you want me to do it?

OOC: Edit: Luck Child not suck child.

Trodon
2010-04-23, 08:00 AM
OOC:
Critical conformation: [roll0]

If I fail I will use Victors luck to re-roll my critical conformation.

[roll1]

arguskos
2010-04-23, 10:48 AM
Erik:

You can control the wolf. Use these (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/wolf.htm) stats.

[roll0]

Your attack is good, 16 to the skeleton.

Erik's blade finds purchase and rips out a rib from the skeleton. It roars in anger, right in Erik's face.

DM Only

HP: 23/39
Mwk Longsword: +8 (1d8+4/19-20)
Blink: 5 rounds remaining

arguskos
2010-04-23, 03:21 PM
OOC:

Horgoth, it is your action. Remember your place in the order folks. :smallannoyed:

Temotei
2010-04-23, 03:34 PM
OOC:

Horgoth, it is your action. Remember your place in the order folks. :smallannoyed:

OoC: Patience, older-than-me padawan. I was at school all day.

Fine. Don't answer the big, muscular spellcasting monster.

Horgoth moves forward, ready to cast a spell when in range of the skeleton.

OoC and rolls: Shocking grasp, that is.
Touch attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

If Horgoth isn't in range of the skeleton, he simply moves and goes into a defensive stance (total defense), raising AC to 14 from 10 (-1 Dex, +1 natural armor).

arguskos
2010-04-23, 05:06 PM
OOC:

Been a long and crappy day. :smallannoyed:

Erik is 20 ft in front of you. Would you like to take a move up towards the skeleton and punch him with the grasp? Or just take your defensive stance and call it a day?

Temotei
2010-04-23, 05:10 PM
OoC: That stinks. Why?

Move and shock if possible. It seems as if, so big orog man does that.

arguskos
2010-04-23, 05:29 PM
Horgoth moves forward, casting as he goes, and grasps the longsword of the creature, hoping to shock it brutally. However, the direguard wrenches it's blade away just at the last moment, and Horgoth doesn't quite touch the blade.

OOC:

Lots of reasons. Not here though.

Anyways, since defender wins ties, you JUST missed it (he has Touch AC 13). Luckily, based on the way touch spells work, you still have the charge for next turn. :smallbiggrin:

arguskos
2010-04-24, 08:43 AM
OOC:

:smallsigh: Erastus, we're waiting on your actions, and then Ilsherlsine after you.

Kobold-Bard
2010-04-24, 10:13 AM
Erastus

Erastus looked at the battle. Moving as far back as he dared he spoke to the universe to seek it's aid. Ethercantestusamalorenkodatus!

-----------
1. Sorry, my only Internet this weekend is on my phone and is not especially reliable. I thought I would have wireless but my gf and her friend can't get it to work.

2. Move so I'm as far away from the enemy as possible whilst still being within 60ft of Horgoth. Truespeach check (DC 20): [roll0]

If I beat the DC then Horgoth is under Knight's Puissance, and has +2 to attack for 5 rounds.

3. Arguskos: does your rule about ties apply to my truespeak checks, because under normal rules I succeed on a tie.

arguskos
2010-04-24, 12:49 PM
OOC:

1. Fair enough.

2. Woooow, you blew that check away.

3. Hmm. Considering skill checks aren't what my tie thing refers to, since they're not opposed rolls, no, you just need to hit the DC. Now, if your truespeak check is used in lieu of an opposed roll at some point, then yes, defender wins.

Ilsherlsine, it's your go.

rrkkskrrk
2010-04-24, 07:34 PM
I'm not entirely sure where the direguard is in relation to me, so I'm working on the assumption that I have enough actions to do this. If not, I'm moving into position and attacking next turn instead.
[roll=attack]1d20+4
[roll0]
[roll1]
Oh, will there ever be a roll which I don't try to end with a spoiler tag instead?

While the monster is otherwise occupied, Ilsherlsine moves around it, striking at the back of its knees with his cane. Given what he knows, it seems unlikely to have much effect, but there is always something to be said for a distraction.

rrkkskrrk
2010-04-24, 07:37 PM
Re-rolling my attack roll.
[roll0]

arguskos
2010-04-24, 07:46 PM
OOC:

Ok, the direguard is 20 ft in front of you, with Erik and Horgoth. You have enough move to get around it and bash at it with the cane. On the plus side, you have a flanking bonus from your teammates.

[roll0] High is good.

Ilsherlsine's cane swing strikes true, and cracks the direguard in the shin, fracturing a bone. It roars in rage, and swings its blade at the illithid, following up with a swipe of its claws for good measure.

DM Only:

HP: 14/39
Mwk Longsword: +8 (1d8+4/19-20) and Claw +2 (1d4+2)
Blink: 5 rounds remaining

arguskos
2010-04-24, 07:51 PM
Rolls:

Longsword: [roll0]

Claw: [roll2]
Dmg: [roll3]

Jesus, really? I mean, this guy has the worst possible luck. Well, looks like an easy kill for you guys. :smallwink:

The direguard's attacks are fierce, but just barely fail to find purchase on the squishy illithid.

OOC:

Erik, then Horgoth (and Trodon, you've been given control of Horgoth for the time being, as Temotei is AFK for a bit.

Trodon
2010-04-24, 08:36 PM

Trodon
2010-04-24, 08:40 PM
OOC: That was weird, well let's try again.

[roll0]
[roll1]

[roll2]
[roll3]

arguskos
2010-04-24, 08:41 PM
OOC:

High is good: [roll0]

Horgoth is up, then Erastus.

Erik's blade swings true... but doesn't seem to connect with anything, just sliding right through the skeleton's physical being, as if it wasn't there. The wolf, similarly, just misses completely, distracted by the hectic combat.

Temotei
2010-04-25, 01:00 AM
Rolls: Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Fall!

Horgoth punches forward with a bare fist, hoping to shock the bony thing into submission, then steps back.

OoC: Woot!

arguskos
2010-04-25, 01:11 AM
OOC:

Also, it's your turn, Erastus. Let's see the power of Truenaming, yes? :smallwink:

Horgoth, finally getting his spell in, finds to his dismay that the creature is utterly unaffected by the lightning. It cackles at him, a horrible grating sound.

DM Only

Remember that Intolian undead are immune to lightning, not cold. Gotta write that down here so I don't have to keep checking elsewhere. I do wish someone made that check. :smallsigh:

arguskos
2010-04-25, 01:40 PM
Erastus, we await your action.

Kobold-Bard
2010-04-25, 02:03 PM
Erastus willed the universe to weaken his enemy's defences.

Armantazdonoskumatra!

---------
I am still mobile only (grr missing trains) so I don't know the name of it but the utterance reduces the foes AC by 1 in all it's forms.

Truespeak DC is 17+the enemy's CR.
Truespeak: [roll0]

arguskos
2010-04-25, 07:47 PM
Erastus' word of power strikes a chord, and the direguard roars in anger as the protective field surrounding it weakens slightly.

Ilsherlsine, it's your action.

DM Only:

AC: 15 (-1 for 5 rounds, thanks to Erastus' reversed Defensive Edge)
HP: 14/39
Blink: 4 rounds remaining
Remember, it is immune to lightning, not cold. Intolian undead are different in this regard.

rrkkskrrk
2010-04-26, 04:07 AM
Same action again, minus the moving.
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Sensing a chance to bring the enemy down, Ilsherlsine aims for the other knee.

arguskos
2010-04-26, 12:15 PM
Ilsherlsine's swing goes wide. Roaring, the direguard hacks madly at the illithid that has caused it so much pain.

Rolls:

Next post will confirm critical.

The direguard's savage attacks tear into the illithid with mad abandon, ripping him brutally for 15 damage and dropping him into the negatives. Ilsherlsine collapses into a heap of tentacles and pain.

arguskos
2010-04-26, 12:20 PM
Rolls:

Confirm Claw Crit: [roll0]
No confirmation. God love ties. :smallbiggrin:

OOC:

Erik, it's your action next.

rrkkskrrk
2010-04-26, 12:27 PM
Ow. -5. Rolling to become stable, although that won't actually take effect until the end of the turn.
[roll0]

Forgot to declare high or low for good. Haven't looked at it, so we'll say high.

Trodon
2010-04-26, 12:42 PM
Erik swings his sword again, hoping that he will connect, .s the wolf disappears.

[roll0]
[roll1]

arguskos
2010-04-26, 01:16 PM
OOC:

Yeah, sorry Ilsherlsine, that was a rough beat. However, I think Erastus has Lesser Word of Nurturing, meaning you'll be healed up shortly.

Also, high is good: [roll0]

Horgoth, at your leisure. :smallwink:

Erik's strike finally gets lucky, and connects, cracking a shoulder bone. The direguard, now severely damaged, roars, weaker than before.

DM Only:

AC: 15 (-1 for 5 rounds, thanks to Erastus' reversed Defensive Edge)
HP: 9/39
Blink: 3 rounds remaining
Remember, it is immune to lightning, not cold. Intolian undead are different in this regard.

Temotei
2010-04-26, 04:02 PM
Horgoth pulls out his old wand, using it on himself after stepping away from the pile of fossils. Strength fills him and he's ready to smash things.

Effect: -1 use on my wand, +6 Strength and a slam attack for Horgoth.

Kobold-Bard
2010-04-26, 04:30 PM
Erastus

Seeing his tentacled ally get shredded Erastus called on the universe to undo his injuries and let him fight once more.

"Corryanth'tekolnnsmakorthasoid!"

------------------
Utter Lesser Word of Nurturing.
Truespeak (DC22): [roll0]

If it works you get Fast Healing 3 for 5 rounds, obviously going straight to 0 on your next round.

arguskos
2010-04-26, 06:01 PM
Ilsherlsine, it'll be your action then.

rrkkskrrk
2010-04-26, 08:41 PM
Ilsherlsine staggers out of the direguard's reach, not wishing to be on the receiving end of its wrath again if possible.

Can make a move action at 0 without harming myself, so backing up as far as I possibly can.

arguskos
2010-04-26, 08:49 PM
OOC:

Ilsherlsine is at 3 hp. Magical healing by default just gives you the HP. However, I play with a houserule that if in the negatives and you get magical healing, you got to zero, then apply the healing, putting Ilsherlsine at 3 hp this round.

Note: I didn't bring it up yet, cause I didn't think it'd matter. Besides, I forgot (I forget a lot of stuff).

Also note, that when dropped to negatives, you fall prone by default. I'm going to assume you crawl away, which does not provoke. You're 15 ft away from the direguard, on the ground, with one more move action you can take (such as drawing an object, or standing from prone).

With that clarified, what action do you want to take?

rrkkskrrk
2010-04-26, 08:50 PM
Stand from prone for my other action, I think.

arguskos
2010-04-26, 09:17 PM
OOC:

Figured, but it was worth asking, you know? :smallwink:

Also, it's obviously Erik's turn.

The direguard, realizing its target has escaped its grasp, turns to Erik with murderous intent, but with no success.

Rolls:

DM Only:

AC: 15 (-1 for 4 rounds, thanks to Erastus' reversed Defensive Edge)
HP: 9/39
Blink: 2 rounds remaining

Trodon
2010-04-26, 11:12 PM
Erik attacks yet again.

[soll=Damage]1d6+4

Trodon
2010-04-26, 11:13 PM
[roll0] Messed the other one up.

arguskos
2010-04-26, 11:13 PM
OOC:

High is good. [roll0] Damn, at first it was all "everyone hits" then it's all "no one hits".

Also, Horgoth, you're up. Crush him with a giant fist!

Erik's swing is strong, his aim good, but the defensive field that surrounds the direguard prevents him from connecting.

Temotei
2010-04-26, 11:25 PM
Horgoth steps forward, clapping his fist against his hand once while dropping his spear. Claws grow out of his hands and he swings forward, attempting to end the creature's miserable afterlife.

Rolls: Claws: [roll0]
[roll1]
Damage: [roll2]
[roll3]
Slam: [roll4]
Damage: [roll5]

OoC: Correct me if I did something wrong there. Pretty sure that's right.

arguskos
2010-04-26, 11:28 PM
OOC:

Looks good. Here, have some miss chances. High is good in all cases:
[roll0]
[roll1]
EDIT: Deleted check 3, since you didn't hit anyways.

Also, Erastus, it's your action.

Horgoth's mighty claws both connect, but don't seem to hurt it much, though he manages to crack a bone. It roars in anger at the pain.

DM Only:

HP: 6/39

Kobold-Bard
2010-04-27, 03:22 AM
Erastus

Glad to see the Ilithid was alive Erastus turned back to the weakened creature. His word this time was vitrolic, aimed at the undead. But he felt the multiverse resisting him, he had called this aid once and it didn't want him getting it again.

"Orkanathtarsemtensiaar!"

-----------------
Reversed Knight's Puissance - -2 Attack for 5 rounds
Truespeak (DC 17+2+CR): [roll0]

arguskos
2010-04-27, 12:07 PM
DM Only

HP: 6/39
Mwk Longsword: +6 (1d8+4/19-20) and Claw +0 (1d4+2) (-2 for 5 rounds, thanks to Erastus' reversed Knight's Puissance)

OOC:

Ilsherlsine, it would be your action.

rrkkskrrk
2010-04-28, 02:39 AM
Seeing another opportunity, and emboldened by the healing flowing through his veins, Ilsherlsine charges the direguard, aiming for the neck.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

arguskos
2010-04-28, 12:11 PM
OOC:

Ilsherlsine, charging madly, takes a mighty swing at the direguard's neck, and severs its undead skull from its bony shoulders. As the skull bounces along the stone, it cackles, slowly growing quieter and quieter as the beady red lights where its eyes once were fade to nothingness. Once the lights are extinguisher fully, the body of the direguard disintegrates, and blows away on the breeze, leaving nothing but a black skull and a well-crafted longsword to mark its presence.

Combat Over

Horgoth:

The green stone you got from your mother's chest back in Waypoint pulses once as the direguard is destroyed. Now, it pulses once every minute or so, with a warm and steady rhythm and glows with a dim light.

Temotei
2010-04-28, 03:35 PM
Horgoth pulls out the green stone in his pocket as it glows.

Err...right.

Action: The Thunderer casts detect magic, holding it for as long as necessary to take as much information in as possible.

Kobold-Bard
2010-04-28, 03:40 PM
Erastus

"Well that was fun. Hope you remember that Illithid, should I ever need the favour repaid. What's your name, I didn't catch it."

arguskos
2010-04-28, 03:44 PM
Horgoth:

1st Round: There are auras.
2nd Round: There are two auras, the most powerful of which is moderately powerful.
3rd Round: One aura is located on the exterior of the stone, one on the interior. The stronger aura is the exterior one however, and it is obscuring the exact nature of the interior aura. Sadly, you are unable to discern it's true nature.
Spellcraft for the Exterior: [roll0]

From the end of the small mountain plain on which you stand, you all hear a muffled noise, "Mrphfm!" There are a few rocks that tumble down the mountainside as you hear the cry again.

Temotei
2010-04-28, 03:54 PM
Horgoth just grunts and shoves the pulsing green stone back into his pocket, bending over to pick up his spear and set his wand back in the folds of his clothing.

Sounds like someone needs help. Shall we?

An amused expression crosses the big one's face. Horgoth runs off to see what the cry is about.

arguskos
2010-04-28, 03:57 PM
Following the sounds leads you just around the bend of the mountain. It's growing dark though, and the source is hard to find. Eventually, you manage to discover that there is a humanoid figure buried pretty deep underneath a pile of rocks. "Mphf! Mphf!" The shouts grow louder at your approach.

Kobold-Bard
2010-04-28, 03:59 PM
Erastus

"Well that's something you don't see everyday. Any of you able to help him?"

Temotei
2010-04-28, 04:03 PM
Perhaps. I will try.

Horgoth attempts to move the rocks without collapsing any more.

Strength check: [roll0]
If that fails, he uses the other casting in his wand to strengthen himself. Then he tries to break the rocks.
Better Strength check!: [roll1]

arguskos
2010-04-28, 04:11 PM
Luckily, Horgoth's meager first attempts are aided by the creature on the other side trying to help as well, and between the two of you, the rocks are cleared in little time. Underneath the pile of stone you find a dark elf, who looks up at you quizzically. "Grateful though I am... I must confess to some confusion. Who are you, again?"

The dark elf is male, and seems to be standing in a small burrow of some sort that stretches 5-10 ft back into the ground. You can spot a few things strewn about the area, including a bastard sword and scabbard, a well-worn scythe, a pack stuffed with possessions, and a pile of mushrooms and grubs in a small stone bowl. The elf is dressed plainly, in the manner of his people. His hair is long and black, his skin a dusty black as well. His eyes, as all dark elves, are pure white orbs that stare at you all with great confusion.

OOC:

You don't waste a charge in your wand. :smallwink:

Kobold-Bard
2010-04-28, 04:48 PM
Erastus

"He's the one who saved you. I'm just some guy, you can call me Erastus. And yourself, though if I may ask why were you under a pile of rocks?"

arguskos
2010-04-28, 04:50 PM
"Well met, he of my estranged kin. As for your question, I was hiding from a skeletal monster. It was drawn away, perhaps if we hurry, we can leave this place before it returns, lest we draw its ire." He begins to gather his things rapidly.

Kobold-Bard
2010-04-28, 04:54 PM
Erastus

"We already drew it, and then re-killed it. You have nothing to fear from it."

arguskos
2010-04-28, 04:57 PM
His hurry slows as your statement sinks in. "Truly? Praise to the Dark Prince for guiding your paths to mine!" He collects his things, and clambers up out of the hole. "Shafaqat Sofija, wandering priest of the Dark Prince, at your service. You may call me Shaf or Sofi, as you wish. I am in your debt." He gives a small bow.

Kobold-Bard
2010-04-28, 05:01 PM
Erastus

"You owe him a debt Shaf, I merely stood and watched. Anything particular that brings you wandering this way?"

arguskos
2010-04-28, 05:05 PM
"The good word, my pale elf friend, the good word!" He rummages in his pack for a moment, and digs out a book, bound in cave bat skin, with the Dark Prince's holy symbol (a mushroom on a dark elf palm) painted on the front. "I am a... teacher, of the Dark Prince, so to speak."

Kobold-Bard
2010-04-28, 05:10 PM
Erastus

Erastus' face when the book was brought out was that of an Illithid being sat before a brain buffet. If he had a little less self control he'd be practically drooling.

"A genuine tome of the Dark Prince. A rarity by any standard. May I? I'm a bit of a literature enthusiast, as you can probably tell." He motions to the boks dangling out of his backpack.

"I'll return it immediately of course."

arguskos
2010-04-28, 05:13 PM
The poor fellow is somewhat taken aback at this. "I normally don't permit any but the faithful to read directly from it, as I only have the one copy. I... do suppose though, given that I owe you all for the rescue." He looks about, noting that it is growing dark. "Perhaps at a camp or home? Do you come from a settlement nearby?"

Notably, he doesn't hand you the book.

Kobold-Bard
2010-04-28, 05:17 PM
Erastus

"We have no camp as yet. Guess we should be moving on though, can't have your prayerbook getting jealous of us stealing your attention."

arguskos
2010-04-28, 05:22 PM
"Indeed, camp would be wise. However, who are your esteemed companions, who have been so stoically quiet?"

Temotei
2010-04-28, 09:15 PM
I'm Horgoth the Thunderer! Just call me Horgoth though.

*prestidigitation to clean Sofi and his book off*

arguskos
2010-04-28, 09:31 PM
Shaf sees Horgoth begin to cast, and interrupts his spell by smacking his hands. "No, don't! I am sorry, Horgoth, but I cannot permit such. It is part of my faith. The Dark Prince raised my people to intelligence from the dirt and dust, and so to it we return, to honor him. We are only permitted to clean once every cycle."

Temotei
2010-04-28, 09:35 PM
A shrug.

Suit yourself. I like to shine, myself.

*prestidigitation on self and others in party--especially the illithid (darn bloodstains)*

Trodon
2010-04-28, 10:57 PM
"Hello Sofi I am Erik, it is pleased to meet you." Erik says as he holds a hand out, slipping his other hand to the stone in his pocket.

arguskos
2010-04-29, 03:18 AM
"Glad to meet you, Erik. And you as well, Horgoth, despite my outburst a moment ago." The elf blushes slightly. "I am still unused to surfacers, you know."

Kobold-Bard
2010-04-29, 01:15 PM
Erastus

"You can't tell at all. Honest."

He turns to his companions. "Shall we go then?"

Temotei
2010-04-29, 03:56 PM
I'm not all too familiar with...err...undergrounders.

Indeed. Let's move. The faster we get there, the less time there is for danger. Not that I don't enjoy danger!

rrkkskrrk
2010-04-29, 06:02 PM
Ilsherlsine nods his agreement silently, keeping his eyes fixed on the newcomer.

Let's see what we can find out about our new friend.
[roll0]
[roll1]

arguskos
2010-04-29, 06:30 PM
"Ah, yes, camp. Some rest under the sky will be a welcome change from my familiar caverns." Shaf falls in line quietly, using his scythe for a walking stick.

Ilsherlsine:

Perception: Shaf carries himself humbly, as though he has little regard for himself. You note that his clothing seems to be hand-spun, and hangs a little tight, as though there is something underneath it that is a bit bulky. You also note that his hands are well maintained, as though unused to combat or heavy labor. Finally, you notice a pouch on his belt, hidden beneath his robes, that can only be a spell component pouch.

Lore: What exactly do you want to know? That check won't tell you anything about the man himself, but it could give you a data-dump of info about the dark elves or their god or the composition of the soil in the area or any number of things. Anything in specific you're looking for?

Temotei
2010-05-01, 11:43 PM
We'll have to rest only as long as we need to. Tomorrow is the attack.

arguskos
2010-05-02, 12:32 AM
"...attack? What attack? Is someone after you?! If so I want nothing to do with it! I barely even know you people!" The elf grows somewhat flustered as he animatedly speaks.

Temotei
2010-05-02, 12:39 AM
I don't ask that you participate. My home is to be attacked tomorrow when Intolian forces attempt to seize it. That is the purpose of our short journey right now--to help save the town.

Well...it's my purpose. The others may have ulterior motives. As I said, you can leave us whenever you like. I won't view you as any less than dirt.

Horgoth slaps Shaf on the back jokingly.

Kobold-Bard
2010-05-02, 04:29 AM
Erastus

"He makes a good point, no-one asked you to join us. Go and preach in safety if you wish, we'll cope I think."

arguskos
2010-05-02, 11:34 AM
"Oh! Oh no, no no, I would prefer to stay and aid you, if it's all the same to you. I just thought you were being hunted, but instead, you are on a mission of mercy, which is something I can support. I can offer my services as a steward of the land, in payment for my rescue." Shaf smiles as he speaks.

Trodon
2010-05-02, 11:03 PM
OOC: Sorry I haven't posted today, I had a LARP meeting to go to.
"Glad to have you Shaf." Erik says as he smiles and Wait's for everyone else to be ready.

arguskos
2010-05-03, 11:00 AM
Together, your band keeps working through the mountains, until fadefall is in full force, and you can no longer see. The wind, cool on the warmest of days, is now bitterly chill, and you're forced to stop for the night. Shaf speaks up as you stop, "Hold a moment friends."

He weaves a spell (Spellcraft DC 17), and touches the stone in the mountain beside you. As you watch, the stone softens into dirt, and Shaf begins to clear it rapidly with his hands. "Come on, it'll go faster if you help."

rrkkskrrk
2010-05-03, 11:04 AM
Ilsherlsine shrugs, and begins to help clearing the former stone with hands, feet and even tentacles as needed.

arguskos
2010-05-03, 11:06 AM
rrkk
Check the second post, I need clarification from you about your Lore check. :smallwink:

rrkkskrrk
2010-05-03, 11:10 AM
Ah, right. I was planning on just having you ignore it, since I can't think of anything in particular, but is there anything I know about dark elves culturally that would give me a clue about what he's keeping under his robes, assuming it's not just the book he showed us?

arguskos
2010-05-03, 11:45 AM
rrkk:

Culturally, the dark elves are more "regressed" than their pale surface cousins. The dark elves believe in the sanctity and balance of their underground environment. Their god, the Dark Prince, teaches that the duty of all elves is to respect nature.

The dark elves tend to not mine metal, nor to use heavily metallic weapons, save for bastard swords, which are their god's favored weapon, and thus crafted whenever possible.

It is likely that Shaf has some kind of armor or vestment on underneath his robes, given that the dark elves tend to suffer at the hands of the surfacers (who rarely care about the environment or nature).

Trodon
2010-05-03, 02:51 PM
Erik helps clear out the dirt, after a minute or two he turns to Shaf. "Hey Shaf, you wouldn't know if there was anything special about this would you?" He pulls out the rock with the lightning bolt on it.

Temotei
2010-05-03, 03:40 PM
Horgoth saunters up to the dirt, helping to clear it out with the others.

SPOILER BUTTON! :smallbiggrin:

Kobold-Bard
2010-05-03, 03:46 PM
Erastus

Erastus will help shovel some dirt, setting his belongings to one side to make it easier.

"Worst part is I know a word to do this, just never managed to figure out the 12th syllable."

arguskos
2010-05-03, 04:35 PM
Working as a unit, you manage to excavate 30 cubic feet of dirt from the surrounding rock. "It'll be snug, but, it should fit us all."

Shaf steps into the depression thus created, breaks out his mortar and pestle and some roots/dried grubs, and begins to grind them into a powder. "Is anyone hungry? I have enough for all, if you wish. And, before you ask, pale one, yes, you may now see my book." He stops for just a moment, gets out his prayer book, and hands it to Erastus. "Please, do be careful with it. I only have the one."

Kobold-Bard
2010-05-04, 06:43 AM
Erastus

Hearing that the Elf's personality changes faster than a Hasted cheetah could run. He takes the book on his fingertips, expertly manipulating it with all the pressure of a feather.

"My goodness this is exquisite, I've never seen such bindings before."

Engrossed Erastus will settle himself on one side of the "cave" and look through the book, declining food for the moment (Shaf could change his mind at any minute and he wanted to absorb as much of the book as he could).

-----------------
Take 10 on Autohypnosis to memorise the book.

Myth-Weavers is down for me, but I know I intentionally cross-classed Autohypnosis enough to be able to Take 10 on the DC15 memorize.

Trodon
2010-05-04, 11:15 AM
Erik settles down at the back of the cave and starts relaxing.

arguskos
2010-05-04, 02:43 PM
Erastus:
The book seems to be a litany of prayers and tenants of the Dark Prince's faith. It's much like your native Leaf King's doctrine, but there are differences. Where the Leaf King preaches stability and maintenance of nature, the Dark Prince espouses the idea that nature should be left alone, only to be interfered with when it cannot defend itself (such as against non-natural creatures like undead or aberrations, or against power-hungry mages, etc). Much of it is anecdotal in nature, with there being a great deal of stories about the Dark Prince performing some act that illustrates a greater concept.

Once you've all settled a little, Shaf turns to Erik. "Sorry, you wanted me to look at something? That stone, right?" He takes a gander at it, thinks long and hard, and then shakes his head. "It looks like a rock with a symbol on it. Why, is it important or something?"

Temotei
2010-05-04, 06:47 PM
Didn't think so. I imagine you wouldn't know anything of this then?

Horgoth reaches into his pocket to pull out the pulsing green stone, making sure to treat it a bit more carefully than he first had.

arguskos
2010-05-04, 06:54 PM
"Let me see that...." Shaf takes the stone, and gives it a long hard stare. "It's a beljuril, a rare gemstone. The pulsing means it's getting ready to flash, I think. They flash once or twice a day, depending on the exact stone in question. It's just a bright flash of light. This one is an odd color though, I've never seen a green one before, they're almost always blue, bright blue."

Rolls:
Spellcraft: [roll0]
Knowledge (nature): [roll1]

Temotei
2010-05-04, 07:01 PM
Really. Interesting.

Horgoth holds his hand out to take the stone again, a bit annoyed that he didn't know this even though it was his mother's.

Truly. It starts pulsing after...it senses the falling of another? It started to glow immediately after we defeated Skeleton Man back there. If so...that could be devastating in a war, could it not?

arguskos
2010-05-04, 07:03 PM
"Your stone is different than the others I've seen and held. Normally, the beljuril flash is harmless, just like walking from a shaded cave into a bright one. Yours, well, there's no way to tell what it's doing."

Trodon
2010-05-04, 09:05 PM
"It's the symbol for the Vghotan's Thunder tribe, they slaughtered my family and my village some person sold it to me for five-hundred gold, that was a rip-off." Erik flips the stone from finger to finger then puts it in his pocket.

Temotei
2010-05-04, 10:08 PM
You think so? Maybe it will react to magic...or other stones like it. Perhaps we can experiment when we have "spare time."

Horgoth licks his fat lips.

If we have spare time at all in the future, that is.

Kobold-Bard
2010-05-05, 05:21 AM
Erastus

Satisfied that he had filed the memories of the book carefully away in his mind Erastus stood and gently returned the book to Shaf.

"Many thanks. I have never had the honour of reading the liturgy of the Dark Elves, and I must say it is most fascinating. This was a unique experience, I owe you a debt Shafaqat Sofija, let me know if there is anything you need and if it is possible I shall do my best to accommodate it."

The Elf's mood is much improved now, he does his share of food preparation etc. and has a look at the stones as well.

----------------------
Assuming the same checks as Shaf.

Horgoth's Stone -
Spellcraft: [roll0]
Know (Nature): [roll1]

Erik's Stone -
Spellcraft: [roll2]
Know (Nature): [roll3]

Meh never mind.

arguskos
2010-05-06, 05:14 PM
The banter continues for a bit, and then dies down as Shaf curls up and pulls his cloak over himself to sleep. The ground is hard stone, and the night is cold, but at least with all five of you huddled in a small space, it's not as bad as it could be.

Faderise comes faster than one might expect, and with it, comes the traditional snow flurries that are so common in this mountain range. Upon awakening, you all find that Shaf has been up for some time it seems. "Fast faderise, bloody blades ahead. That is the saying, yes? There is a rabbit in the pot, I quick-smoked it for breakfast." The dark elf smiles, and gets you each a slice of the rabbit's haunch. "There is some mission to accomplish today, right? We should eat and then move."

Temotei
2010-05-06, 08:08 PM
Agreed.

Horgoth shovels up the food at first, then slows after his first bite.

...I commend you, Sufi. This is delicious.

The food is gobbled down within two minutes.

arguskos
2010-05-06, 08:28 PM
Shaf beams. "Many thanks! I know it must be bland compared to the food on the surface, our herbs and spices get dull after awhile, but thank you for the compliment nevertheless. Now, perhaps we should get moving when everyone has eaten?"

Trodon
2010-05-06, 09:50 PM
Erik wakes up, stretches, and pops his neck. "Ow, that's going to hurt later." He sits down at the pot and starts to eat the rabbit. "This is good, what herbs did you use?"

arguskos
2010-05-06, 10:04 PM
"Just some ones from the caverns underneath these mountains." Shaf opens a pouch, and pulls out a few mushrooms and roots, pointing to them as he speaks. "This one is dalmoch, or rockroot. This, eltoth, broadcap. And this one, this is shof-talni, or kingly one.

Kobold-Bard
2010-05-07, 04:17 AM
Erastus

"Indeed this is lovely."

After finishing his meal he speaks to Shaf again. "I have an idea of these people's capabilities but none of yours yet. Should we be assailed again today what is your area of expertise?"

arguskos
2010-05-07, 10:55 AM
"It's hard to explain, Erastus. You could say that nature and I are connected, in a way."

Kobold-Bard
2010-05-07, 10:58 AM
Erastus

"So magical, nature related with seemingly a preference for earth and stone so I assume you have some offensive capabilities. Thanks."

The Elf will ready himself to leave.

arguskos
2010-05-07, 11:38 AM
Shaf packs his things, including the rest of the rabbit, and climbs out of the hole. "Your village awaits you, Horgoth. Shall we?"

Temotei
2010-05-07, 11:19 PM
Of course. Let's move.

Picking up his few belongings, Horgoth moves beside Shaf, offering a hand to help him stand up.

The sooner we leave, the better.

arguskos
2010-05-08, 12:34 AM
As the group of you move up out of the hole, and back into the wilds of the mountain, your new companion begins to sing. It's not very good to be honest, Shaf's not a good vocalist, but the song is quiet, it's fairly infectious, and you can follow it without much thought. It's better than hearing the whistling wind, anyways.

Anyone who speaks Elven:

The song is in an archaic dialect of Elven, ancient even by the standards of the nigh-immortal elves. It bears only passing resemblance to the Elven of today, but you can make out the general gist of things. The song seems to be a dirge of some kind, sung by someone to their dead (or dying?) counterpart in... something. It's not super clear, but the song is heartfelt if nothing else, and it seems more like a one-sided conversation than anything else.

As you near the location that the chieftain's map indicated as your destination, an acrid scent fills the air, a foul stink that is alien to your senses, almost palpable in nature. You round the final outcropping of rock, and before you lies a slaughterfield, bizarre, non-Euclidian, corpses that smell of death and inhuman acids, scattered around a lonely squat tower that's sealed up so tight you can't even find a door at this distance.

You are currently perhaps 500 ft from the tower, and the nearest corpse is roughly 300 ft away from any of you. They seem to have been swarming the castle when... something, killed them.

Kobold-Bard
2010-05-08, 04:36 AM
Erastus

Thoroughly shocked by the sight before him Erastus has to shake himself back to being able to think.

"Well then, this is different" mutters the Elf as he draws his bow and places a twitchy finger on the string.

rrkkskrrk
2010-05-08, 07:16 AM
I love when the word "non-Euclidian" is used to describe things as being off. I'd be more disturbed if I saw a Euclidian corpse, actually, seeing as it would be perfectly two-dimensional.
Taking care not to come closer to the tower than the furthest corpse, Ilsherlsine picks his way towards the corpses to get a better look at them.

[roll0] Can I see anything better from close up, and what were those bodies before they were dead?
[roll1] or
[roll2] What did that to them?
[roll3] Is there anything about the situation that reminds me of anything else? Do I know anything about that tower? Is there anything I can connect from my other fields of study to answer the questions I've already asked?