PDA

View Full Version : Tauren Shaman build <3.5e>

~LuckyBoneDice~
2010-04-13, 11:29 AM
My plan is that since my Sorcerer is gonna recieve a true wish so I can change my form, I'm taking the form of a Tauren Shaman 12 (DM ruled I lose a level for this) and I get 3 domains to choose from. The goal is to be a blaster (like the Elemental Path Shaman in WoW) with some healing on the side. Then, I'm taking a level of Contemplative and Divine Oracle, capping off with 2 levels in Prestige Paladin (for all of the good Paly features with only one lost level)

I have three good questions:

1. What domains should I pick, considering my plan to be a "Natural Blaster/Gish"?

2. What are good Divine Feats, Divine Metamagic Feats, and other good ideas for Feats (12th level)

3. Is the PrC choices a good idea, or am I WAY off?

The Glyphstone
2010-04-13, 11:43 AM
Wait - are you becoming a Tauren Sorcerer who calls themself a 'shaman', or are you changing your class into Spirit Shaman?

~LuckyBoneDice~
2010-04-13, 11:47 AM
Wait - are you becoming a Tauren Sorcerer who calls themself a 'shaman', or are you changing your class into Spirit Shaman?

neither. I'm taking Shaman from Oriental Adventures, and changing my race to Tauren (I'm currently a Human Sorcerer/Human Paragon/Dragon Disciple. He's too darn complicated)

The Glyphstone
2010-04-13, 12:16 PM
Ah. Wasn't aware that such a class existed...unfortunately, I don't have OA.:smallwink:

~LuckyBoneDice~
2010-04-13, 12:42 PM
Ah. Wasn't aware that such a class existed...unfortunately, I don't have OA.:smallwink:

Basically, durid with turning and 3 domains and cleric spells and no wildshape

Kylarra
2010-04-13, 12:58 PM
Shaman is really weird... it's like paladin meets druid meets monk and it isn't sure what it's supposed to be good at. Of course, it's also a fullcaster so... yeah, its other abilities are all secondary.

~LuckyBoneDice~
2010-04-13, 12:59 PM
Shaman is really weird... it's like paladin meets druid meets monk and it isn't sure what it's supposed to be good at. Of course, it's also a fullcaster so... yeah, its other abilities are all secondary.

I like it because it gets 3 domains, and can deal decent damage

Kylarra
2010-04-13, 01:08 PM
I like it because it gets 3 domains, and can deal decent damageEh, 3 domains is nothing special. There are a lot of cleric PrCs that grant bonus domains that you can enter before level 11.

That's not to say it's a bad class, I'm just pointing out that the third domain isn't much to speak of.

~LuckyBoneDice~
2010-04-13, 01:13 PM
Eh, 3 domains is nothing special. There are a lot of cleric PrCs that grant bonus domains that you can enter before level 11.

That's not to say it's a bad class, I'm just pointing out that the third domain isn't much to speak of.

If they are chosen right, an extra domain is devistation ready to happen...

here's the build: Shaman 15/Contemplative 3/Prestige Paladin 2

Kylarra
2010-04-13, 01:19 PM
If they are chosen right, an extra domain is devistation ready to happen...

here's the build: Shaman 15/Contemplative 3/Prestige Paladin 2

:smalltongue: You're a fullcaster with a decent spell list. You could take 20 levels in your class and be "devastation ready to happen".

Prestige paladin seems like kind of a waste though. You need to blow a feat on mounted combat and all you get is a second iteration of divine grace and a lost caster level.

Dust
2010-04-13, 01:22 PM
See if you can take the Storm Domain from Stormwrack.

STORM DOMAIN
Granted Power: You gain resistance to electricity 5.

1 Entropic Shield
2 Gust of Wind
3 Call Lightning
4 Sleet Storm
5 Ice Storm
6 Call Lightning Storm
7 Control Weather
8 Whirlwind
9 Storm of Vengeance

~LuckyBoneDice~
2010-04-13, 01:23 PM
:smalltongue: You're a fullcaster with a decent spell list. You could take 20 levels in your class and be "devastation ready to happen".

Prestige paladin seems like kind of a waste though. You need to blow a feat on mounted combat and all you get is a second iteration of divine grace and a lost caster level.

Worth it in my book, considering I'm taking a Winged Celestial Rhino as my mount and a Worg as my companion.

Plus, DM ruled Practiced Spellcaster "recovers" lost cl and spells (ie: basically spells one'd gain at that level are reobtained)

Plus, it's based on being a retribution blastergish who can blast one turn, then smack the foe with my halberd

~LuckyBoneDice~
2010-04-13, 01:25 PM
See if you can take the Storm Domain from Stormwrack.

STORM DOMAIN
Granted Power: You gain resistance to electricity 5.

1 Entropic Shield
2 Gust of Wind
3 Call Lightning
4 Sleet Storm
5 Ice Storm
6 Call Lightning Storm
7 Control Weather
8 Whirlwind
9 Storm of Vengeance

Any domain (minus Io's domain) is allowed. Actually considered Fire, Cold, and Storm, then taking one other from Contemplative

Kylarra
2010-04-13, 01:29 PM
Worth it in my book, considering I'm taking a Winged Celestial Rhino as my mount and a Worg as my companion.

Plus, DM ruled Practiced Spellcaster "recovers" lost cl and spells (ie: basically spells one'd gain at that level are reobtained)

Plus, it's based on being a retribution blastergish who can blast one turn, then smack the foe with my halberd-shrug- I'd forgotten that you have the hax practiced spellcaster feat. You should probably just PrC out of shaman at 11 or 12 then. 13-15 are dead levels that get you nothing.

~LuckyBoneDice~
2010-04-13, 01:31 PM
-shrug- You should probably just PrC out of shaman at 11 or 12 then. 13-15 are dead levels that get you nothing.

then after 12, as in right now, start contemplative for 5 levels, then finish with Prestige Pally? Then, the thought of a Buffalo-Man riding a Flying Rhino with a Worg at his side isn't too far off...

Kylarra
2010-04-13, 01:33 PM
then after 12, as in right now, start contemplative for 5 levels, then finish with Prestige Pally? Then, the thought of a Buffalo-Man riding a Flying Rhino with a Worg at his side isn't too far off...Sure if that's what floats your boat. I'd honestly PrC out at 12 after getting the domain, but if you want that bonus feat at Shaman 12, then yeah I'd just PrC at 13.

~LuckyBoneDice~
2010-04-13, 01:36 PM
Sure if that's what floats your boat. I'd honestly PrC out at 12 after getting the domain, but if you want that bonus feat at Shaman 12, then yeah I'd just PrC at 13.

It ain't half bad, but it's a crapshoot overall

~LuckyBoneDice~
2010-04-13, 01:46 PM
Sure if that's what floats your boat. I'd honestly PrC out at 12 after getting the domain, but if you want that bonus feat at Shaman 12, then yeah I'd just PrC at 13.

then what for 2 levels???

NPCMook
2010-04-13, 03:38 PM
You could just grab the World of Warcraft RPG book it has the stats for the Tauren, and Shaman classes in it, just got to convince your GM to let you use them then

~LuckyBoneDice~
2010-04-14, 11:19 AM
You could just grab the World of Warcraft RPG book it has the stats for the Tauren, and Shaman classes in it, just got to convince your GM to let you use them then

he's not allowing THAT version of shaman, but has approved the version from OA.

And he's treating me as a "fully realized" tauren for the sake of race