PDA

View Full Version : D&D/HP spells for teachers

Silverscale
2010-04-13, 02:04 PM
I'm trying to come up with a list of low-level spells that a modern day teacher would find useful in a classroom full of students.

So far I've come up with Accio and Prestidigitation If anyone can think of other spells that would be useful for a teacher, either pre-made or if you have a good idea for a home-brew spell.

DragoonWraith
2010-04-13, 02:10 PM
I feel like Presti covers damn near everything. Maybe Magic Mouth? I know of teachers who do little more than recite some prepared lecture... (some classes this is sort of justified simply because there is so much material that just needs memorization, but typically it is better to have a more interactive [questions, discussion, etc] lecture). Hmm. Maybe Secret Page for preventing people from seeing the test before it's time to start? Erase could be useful but I imagine the most productive use of it would be handled as well by Prestidigitation.

Unseen Servant to write things on the board while you're talking to the students (and watching them for misbehavior)?

Also, the feat Eyes in the Back of your Head has obvious uses for the same thing.

ninja_penguin
2010-04-13, 02:17 PM
I know it's a but mean, but:

Silence.

You know you'd use it.

Mewtarthio
2010-04-13, 02:21 PM
That's not mean. Mean is using charm person and hypnotism to force your students to pay attention.

Lysander
2010-04-13, 02:22 PM
Silent Image would be great to replicate an educational 3D holographic display.

There's also a spell called Scholar's Touch that lets you instantaneously read a book just by touching it. Could be very useful for a teacher or a student. It's free online so I think it's ok to post it here:

Scholar's Touch
Divination
Level: Bard 1, cleric 1, sorcerer/wizard 1
Components: V, S, M, F
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Personal
Target: One book/round
Duration: Concentration up to 1 round/level
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

With this spell you can touch a book or scroll and absorb the knowledge contained within as if you had just read it. This is equivalent to a solid reading but not deep study -- the character does not gain perfect recall of the information, just whatever he would have gotten from reading it completely once. If you can't read the language of the source, the spell has no effect. This spell cannot be used to prepare spells or to cast magical scrolls, nor does it have any effect when reading a magical book (such as a tome of understanding).

Material Component: A scrap of parchment and a pinch of tinder

Focus: A thin crystal disc.

Comprehend Languages or Tongues would be useful to speak with foreign students, or to read texts in foreign languages.

Fox's Cunning could be a way of making students better understand tricky material.

Creed
2010-04-13, 02:46 PM
Magic Mouth. No more substitutes. ever. and the teacher doesn't ever have to come to class.

Jack of Spades
2010-04-13, 02:46 PM
Tongues, for those who teach abroad or in a region undergoing cultural/demographic change.

True Seeing, because I assume that magical teachers = magical students, therefore invisibility or the like to cheat with. (Although that's likely too high-level)

Inflict Minor Wounds, depending on the teaching style.

Sleep, if it's a preschool. :smallbiggrin:

I can see Message having useful applications.

Arcane Mark, to put the kid's grade on his forehead once a month. That'll show 'em :smallwink:

High level again, but quite possibly the most entertaining discipline ever could come in the form of Irresistable Dance.

Lesser Geas: Do your homework, be nice to Timmy, et cetera.

Open or Close, for contraband checks or quickly shutting that craft closet from across the room.

Alarm could also be useful.

Lysander
2010-04-13, 03:04 PM
The principle's office would no doubt be hallowed with a perpetual zone of truth spell.

imp_fireball
2010-04-13, 03:45 PM
That's not mean. Mean is using charm person and hypnotism to force your students to pay attention.

No, mean is using dominate person...

And, and....

HELL BALL.

Yes. Hell ball.

Or vengeful gaze of god to demonstrate the inherent failure of the school system.

That's right kids, disobey your teacher and you get atomized. Doesn't matter if you're a 20th level barbarian with improved toughness or what have you.

Lysander
2010-04-13, 03:55 PM
"Ugh! This stuff is so boring!"
"Yeah! I can't focus on studying at all. We'll never pass tomorrow's test."
"I know! You cast suggestion on me, and I'll cast suggestion on you, and we'll force ourselves to study without distraction!"
"Good idea! SUGGESTION Focus on studying without distraction, and cast suggestion on me so I study too!"
"We. Must. Study. SUGGESTION You must study now."
"I. Must. Study. Now."

Five minutes later:

"Run for your lives! The buildings on fire!"
"We. Must. Study. No distractions."
"No distractions."
"Don't you hear me? The building is on fire!"
"We. Must. Study."
"We. Must. Study."

imp_fireball
2010-04-13, 04:09 PM
"Ugh! This stuff is so boring!"
"Yeah! I can't focus on studying at all. We'll never pass tomorrow's test."
"I know! You cast suggestion on me, and I'll cast suggestion on you, and we'll force ourselves to study without distraction!"
"Good idea! SUGGESTION Focus on studying without distraction, and cast suggestion on me so I study too!"
"We. Must. Study. SUGGESTION You must study now."
"I. Must. Study. Now."

Five minutes later:

"Run for your lives! The buildings on fire!"
"We. Must. Study. No distractions."
"No distractions."
"Don't you hear me? The building is on fire!"
"We. Must. Study."
"We. Must. Study."

"Dammit, just carry the two out!"
"Are you kidding me? I'm gettin' outta here!"
"Inspire heroism!"
"I feel very manly now."
"Do it."
"Screw that."
"Suggestion. Do it."
"'Kay."
"Oh no, I've delayed my escape too long and now I'm trapped in a burning building. Oh no... *casts teleport* /sarcasm"
*teacher turns off instructional/motiviational video* "And as you can see, magic really does solve all of life's problems."

Silverscale
2010-04-13, 04:23 PM
"Dammit, just carry the two out!"
"Are you kidding me? I'm gettin' outta here!"
"Inspire heroism!"
"I feel very manly now."
"Do it."
"Screw that."
"Suggestion. Do it."
"'Kay."
"Oh no, I've delayed my escape too long and now I'm trapped in a burning building. Oh no... *casts teleport* /sarcasm"
*teacher turns off instructional/motiviational video* "And as you can see, magic really does solve all of life's problems."

Now we're just getting silly.

But, just in a couple hours there have been several good ideas. Just remember we're going for low level spells, I'd say level 2 at the highest. Anyone have an idea for a home-brew spell? I'm pretty good at stating out a spell I just can't think of any at the moment.

Lysander
2010-04-13, 04:26 PM

"Teacher, can magic help me improve my grades?"
"No Timmy because you're a failure. Even magic can't help you. Oh stop crying. GOOD HOPE. There, just sit there smiling for the rest of the class."

Jack of Spades
2010-04-13, 06:12 PM
Off the top of my head, so please don't expect this to be any good, but...
Make A Note of It
Enchantment [Mind-Affecting]
Level: Sor/Wiz 0, Clr 0, Brd 0
Components: V, S
Range: Touch
Target: One intelligent creature per caster level
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Will negates

You say a small phrase (fewer than 10 words) and touch a creature's forehead, causing them to "randomly" think of that phrase once every three hours for the next month. This thought takes place on a subconscious level, meaning that it will not wake the subject from sleep or interfere with any other effects that are on the subject's mind at the time, although if dreaming occurs the phrase will likely appear in the dream every 3 hours.
Note: This spell will likely cause the creature to commit that phrase to memory (this being its intention), thus the creature will likely think of the phrase more often than it is being compelled to by the spell.
Weak enough for a cantrip? I think so, what with it not being a real compulsion or anything.

EDIT: Oops, typed the wrong school :smalleek:
EDIT THE SECOND: Added rules regarding sleep and other mental conditions.

Silverscale
2010-04-13, 06:23 PM
Make A Note of It
Divination [Mind-Affecting]

You say a small phrase (fewer than 10 words) and touch a creature's forehead, causing them to "randomly" think of that phrase once every three hours for the next month.
Note: This spell will likely cause the creature to commit that phrase to memory (this being its intention), thus the creature will likely think of the phrase more often than it is being compelled to by the spell.
Just looking at it, it looks like exactly thing sorta thing I'm looking for. Can't say for certain if it's balanced but looks cool anyway.

Kiren
2010-04-13, 08:09 PM
scry to catch the cell phones.

Silverscale
2010-04-13, 09:31 PM
scry to catch the cell phones.

That's what Accio is for.

Teacher: Please put away your cell phone.
Student: Hold on just a second.
Teacher: Accio. Thank you now as I was saying....
Student: Hey! That's not fair.
Teacher: Silence....moving along....

Although Scry does have some uses like giving the Admin a way to check in on classes without having to constantly patrol the halls.

Ashtagon
2010-04-13, 11:24 PM
Eagle's splendour, for when you need a boost in getting your students to pay attention.

That intelligence-boosting spell, on the students.

That book-copying spell, to help the students make notes.

Jack of Spades
2010-04-14, 12:01 AM
Detect thoughts could be fun.
Touch of Fatigue, simply because tired students are less disruptive.
Hold Person could become necessary.
Hideous laughter, so they feel better about their bad jokes.
Enthrall is nearly perfect.
Command would be helpful.

That intelligence-boosting spell, on the students.
Fox's Cunning

Sereg
2010-04-14, 12:04 AM
Make A Note of It
Enchantment [Mind-Affecting]

You say a small phrase (fewer than 10 words) and touch a creature's forehead, causing them to "randomly" think of that phrase once every three hours for the next month.
Weak enough for a cantrip? I think so, what with it not being a real compulsion or anything.

How would this affect sleep?

Jack of Spades
2010-04-14, 12:22 AM
How would this affect sleep?

I expect it would simply float by in whatever dream the conscious brain is experiencing. I'll clear that up in the description.

Silverscale
2010-04-14, 11:46 AM
Here's a good one that was posted in another thread.

Prestidigitation Surge
Universal
Level: Brd 0, Sor/Wiz 0
Casting Time: 1 swift action
Target: Personal
Duration: 1 round
Saving Throw: No

To cast this spell you must have prestidigitation already active. You channel additional power to your prestidigitation spell, allowing you to simultaneously perform several tricks within prestidigitation's power. You can perform one separate simultaneous effect per caster level. The effects are simultaneous, not cumulative, so a level ten caster could lift ten objects simultaneously but not move one object ten times as far. The tricks need not all be the same, so you could heat some, lift others, colors others, and perform other effects simultaneously.

Silverscale
2010-04-14, 11:58 AM
And here's one I posted in the same thread that could be useful

Transcribe
Universal
Level: Brd 0, Sor/Wiz 0
Target: Pen/Quill to be used
Duration: 10 minutes per level
Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)

When cast on a quill/pen the pen animates to transcribe anything said within a 5ft radius of it. The user must proved paper or parchment to write on and an open pot of ink for them pen/quill to use.

This Brings the list of spells to
Accio
Alarm
Arcane Mark
Comprehend Languages
Eagle's Splendour
Erase
Fox's Cunning
Inflict/Cure Minor
Lesser Geas
Magic Mouth
Make a Note of It
Prestidigitation
Prestidigitation Surge
Scholar's Touch
Scry
Secret Page
Silence
Silent Image
Sleep
Suggestion
Touges
Transcribe
True Seeing
Unseen Servant
Zone of Truth

And the Feat: Eyes in the Back of Your Head

Silverscale
2010-04-14, 09:19 PM
After looking through the Harry Potter Lexicon I've found some other spells that could be useful if anyone cares to stat them out

Aquamenti (Conjure Water)
Alohomora (Unlock locked doors)
Anti-Cheating Spell
Aperecium (Reveal Invisible Ink)
Banishing Charm (Opposite of Accio)
Item Conjuring (General Item conjuring spell)
Cushioning Charm
Engorgio/Reducio (Enlarge/shrink and object)
Erecto (Straighten-out/setup an object)
Evanesco (vanishing an item/substance)
Expelliarmus (Disarm Target)
Finite (End Current Spell)
Geminio (Copy target item)
Hover Charm
Impervius (Waterproof target item)
Langlock (Lock target's tongue in place)
Reparo (Fix object)
Scourgify (Clean Target)
Sonorus (Increase volume of caster's voice)

imp_fireball
2010-04-14, 10:14 PM
Aquamenti (Conjure Water - Create Water)
Alohomora (Unlock locked doors - Knock)
Anti-Cheating Spell (Sense Motive +20 to oppose forgery, Discern lies, Discern duplicate text, etc. - 1st or 2nd level)
Aperecium (Reveal Invisible Ink - 0th level)
Banishing Charm (Opposite of Accio; 1st or 2nd level; you can banish the held enemy weapons - Accio might be 3rd or 4th level if it covers something like line of sight or lesser teleport involving items)
Item Conjuring (General Item conjuring spell - duplicates eschew materials feat, probably)
Cushioning Charm (feather fall except that it doesn't reduce falling speed, so arguably better - maybe it just lowers falling damage rather then eliminating and has no duration)
Engorgio/Reducio (Enlarge/shrink and object - enlarge person; shrink person may be a similar level or higher if it reduces them multiple size categories (reduce to micro fine/atom-sized? :smalleek:))
Erecto (Straighten-out/setup an object - 1st level if it covers complex objects that require assembly or game breaking (ie. Remove prone condition?); 0th level if it only covers straight forward things)
Evanesco (vanishing an item/substance - into another plane? gone forever/unrecoverable? Probably higher then 0th level)
Expelliarmus (Disarm Target - must still attack target held item; when a disarm check is rolled it automatically succeeds - higher then 0th level, most likely 1st)
Finite (End Current Spell - 0th level or simply a feature of all duration spells; higher if ending a spell you didn't cast obviously)
Geminio (Copy target item - definitely higher then 0th level unless there's an XP cost depending on item value)
Hover Charm (Levitate)
Impervius (Waterproof target item - 0th level, very useful obviously)
Langlock (Lock target's tongue in place - silence spell, target individual? higher then 0th)
Reparo (Fix object - costs XP depending on object value, 1st level or mend spell)
Scourgify (Clean Target - 0th level; probably duplicates prestidigation only more limited)
Sonorus (Increase volume of caster's voice - doubles/triples/etc. range increment for listen check penalty, 0th or 1st level)

Silverscale
2010-04-15, 06:26 AM
Aquamenti (Conjure Water - Create Water) Yes

Alohomora (Unlock locked doors - Knock) Yes

Anti-Cheating Spell (Sense Motive +20 to oppose forgery, Discern lies, Discern duplicate text, etc. - 1st or 2nd level) Cool I like it.

Aperecium (Reveal Invisible Ink - 0th level) Ok

Banishing Charm (Opposite of Accio; 1st or 2nd level; you can banish the held enemy weapons - Accio might be 3rd or 4th level if it covers something like line of sight or lesser teleport involving items) According to the books, the Banishing Charm is used to send things away from the caster not from another person, that's what Expelliarmus is for, think of it as a way to quickly had out tests, worksheets, etc. Although I agree with Accio being higher level because it can appearently summon things against the holders will, possibly an opposed will check with a bonus for the caster.

Item Conjuring (General Item conjuring spell - duplicates eschew materials feat, probably) From my understanding it works similar to a Bard Summon Instrument but is more general.

Cushioning Charm (feather fall except that it doesn't reduce falling speed, so arguably better - maybe it just lowers falling damage rather then eliminating and has no duration) In the books it's used to make a broom handle comfortable to sit on or to cushion a delicate item being transported. It quite literaly creates an invisible cushion. I was thinking it would be good for making those nice hard plastic chairs a little more comfortable.

Engorgio/Reducio (Enlarge/shrink and object - enlarge person; shrink person may be a similar level or higher if it reduces them multiple size categories (reduce to micro fine/atom-sized? :smalleek:)) In the books it only changes the target up/down one size category if that. Notably in the movie it's used to enlarge a bug so that it's easier to see.

Erecto (Straighten-out/setup an object - 1st level if it covers complex objects that require assembly or game breaking (ie. Remove prone condition?); 0th level if it only covers straight forward things) I think it's covers relatively straight forward things. I'm pretty sure it doesn't remove the prone condition.

Evanesco (vanishing an item/substance - into another plane? gone forever/unrecoverable? Probably higher then 0th level) According to the books no not unrecoverable it doesn't remove it from the universe just gets rid of it from the material plane (possibly into a pocket dimension)

Expelliarmus (Disarm Target - must still attack target held item; when a disarm check is rolled it automatically succeeds - higher then 0th level, most likely 1st) Ok that works

Finite (End Current Spell - 0th level or simply a feature of all duration spells; higher if ending a spell you didn't cast obviously) I'd say higher because you can end another persons spells with it. Perhaps it gives a small bonus to an opposed caster level check to end the spell.

Geminio (Copy target item - definitely higher then 0th level unless there's an XP cost depending on item value) I agree it's higher than 0th, though usually used to copy a page of notes or the like, it is also used to make a non-magical copy of more then one artifact.

Hover Charm (Levitate) Yes.

Impervius (Waterproof target item - 0th level, very useful obviously) Indeed

Langlock (Lock target's tongue in place - silence spell, target individual? higher then 0th) 1st? 2nd?

Reparo (Fix object - costs XP depending on object value, 1st level or mend spell) More powerful then Mending, possibly even 2nd since it's used to fix things that are completely broken as opposed to just chipped or scratched.

Scourgify (Clean Target - 0th level; probably duplicates prestidigation only more limited) It duplicates one function of Presti. but better, we're talking hospital clean.

Sonorus (Increase volume of caster's voice - doubles/triples/etc. range increment for listen check penalty, 0th or 1st level) Umm...Ok I'll go with that.

Sereg
2010-04-15, 10:29 AM
In the final book, when asked where vanished objects go, McGonnagall answers "Into nonbeing, that is everything." or something like that.

imp_fireball
2010-04-15, 10:46 AM
Langlock should probably be similar to a silence spell - except that it removes target's ability to speak any language. They can still make sounds but maybe take a 90% spell failure chance for spells with vocal components, etc.?

They could turn a spell that requires, say, a standard action to cast into a full action by carefully sounding out the word and take a 50% spell failure chance instead.

Silverscale
2010-04-15, 11:03 AM
In the final book, when asked where vanished objects go, McGonnagall answers "Into nonbeing, that is everything." or something like that.

Right. That's because of the laws of Conservation of Energy/Matter. How would that be turned into a D&D spell?

imp_fireball
2010-04-15, 11:48 AM
Right. That's because of the laws of Conservation of Energy/Matter. How would that be turned into a D&D spell?

By using a pocket dimension as was already stated?

Silverscale
2010-04-16, 06:04 AM
Evanesco
School?
Level: Sor/Wiz 1
Casting Time: 1 Move Action
Range: Range Touch Attack
Target: One cubic foot of substance per caster level

With a quick flick, the offending substance is instantly transported into a pocket dimension leaving the area clean of contaminant.

This spell is often used to clean up the results of a failed potion/chemistry experiment, before it can cause any more damage than it already has.

Silverscale
2010-04-16, 09:53 AM
Impervius
School?
Level: Sor/Wiz 0
Casting Time: 1 Standard Action
Target: One object per caster level

With a quick flick, you create a permenant, invisible layer of protection on the surface of the object(s) that prevents any damage from liquids. The object also gains Acid resistance 5

Note: Each effected object can be no bigger then 1 pound per caster level. Does not work on anything living, or undead, only objects.

This spell is used to water-proof items the caster does not want to get damaged.

brujon
2010-04-16, 01:42 PM
Evanesco
School?
Level: Sor/Wiz 1
Casting Time: 1 Move Action
Range: Range Touch Attack
Target: One cubic foot of substance per caster level

With a quick flick, the offending substance is instantly transported into a pocket dimension leaving the area clean of contaminant.

This spell is often used to clean up the results of a failed potion/chemistry experiment, before it can cause any more damage than it already has.

I know i'm thinking of combat uses here, but this could be used to severely mitigate the effects of alchemist's fire/choking powder/sovereign glue/etc... Isn't that a bit too powerful for a 0th level spell? I mean, someone throws a bottle of sovereign glue on you, you use this, bam, gone.

Also, it doesn't list the limit on how much you can banish from the material plane... So, bad guy throws someone on a pit full of acid? Evanesco. I could go on here, but this can be used to wipe away any environmental challenge, simply because "offending substance" is too vague, and also there's no limit on how much you can affect with it... For it to be a 0th level spell, i would suggest limiting it to 1 glass of substance per cast. Or maybe 1 liter if we're feeling generous...

Silverscale
2010-04-16, 01:54 PM
I know i'm thinking of combat uses here, but this could be used to severely mitigate the effects of alchemist's fire/choking powder/sovereign glue/etc... Isn't that a bit too powerful for a 0th level spell? I mean, someone throws a bottle of sovereign glue on you, you use this, bam, gone."This spell is often used to clean up the results of a failed potion/chemistry experiment, before it can cause any more damage than it already has."

Also, it doesn't list the limit on how much you can banish from the material plane... "Target: One cubic foot of substance per caster level"