PDA

View Full Version : Suggest a rpg system for modern game

jpreem
2010-04-13, 02:17 PM
Im only played and DM-d DD 3.5 games. And im kind of tired of this kind of heroic fantasy stuff.
What would good systems be for less heroic and magical types of play.

Maybe i dont want all those dwarves and elves and shiny armors and wise wizards and stuff. Maybe i wanna try a return of the mummy or indiana jones kind of adventure, or a film noir type of detective story, or a modern day zombie apocalypse. What would a good generic system be that could suit all those needs?

The thing I would like to try out first would be a non-heroic modern day zombie horror story. ( Bunch of average-joes must survive together after happening to be in the middle of a zombie outbreak - night of the living dead type stuff.)

ninja_penguin
2010-04-13, 02:19 PM
You may want to check out the Savage Worlds system. Our group has run a few one-page scenarios of it, and overall I think it's decent.

Mushroom Ninja
2010-04-13, 02:23 PM
Perhaps d20 Modern?

Djinn_in_Tonic
2010-04-13, 02:29 PM
Wushu is a fun little system that's easily adaptable, and probably good for Noir, zombies, Indiana Jones, and all such slightly-over-the-top things.

Straight World of Darkness (no Vampire, Werewolf, or similar...just the core rules) does a pretty good modern world, and isn't that complicated. d20 Modern is also decent, although may be a little to D&D like for you, even with the modern focus.

I've heard good things about Fudge and GURPS, although I've never played either.

For a gritty zombie story though, I'd suggest World of Darkness, or maybe Deadlands with the supernatural stuff removed. Both are strong, fun systems (World of Darkness is definitely easier to adapt/pick up on) that do a gritty survival game fairly well.

incubus5075
2010-04-13, 02:32 PM
i agree WoD rocks. plus the Antagonist book has zombie creation rules. FUN!

The Rose Dragon
2010-04-13, 02:35 PM
Unisystem. Accept no substitutes.

Well, that is for a modern world without a lot of supernatural elements, though there is a crapload of them in the books, as well. If you want superheroes and magic and stuff, I would go with M&M or GURPS (or possibly WoD, if you're fine with a lot of abstractions).

EDIT: Non-heroic zombie survival game? Unisystem, most definitely. Specifically, All Flesh Must Be Eaten, along with the One of the Living supplement. The latter also doubles as a basic survival guide if civilization crumbles one day. Seriously, it's scary extensive.

Kiero
2010-04-13, 02:36 PM
The thing I would like to try out first would be a non-heroic modern day zombie horror story. ( Bunch of average-joes must survive together after happening to be in the middle of a zombie outbreak - night of the living dead type stuff.)

All Flesh Must Be Eaten (http://www.allflesh.com/) is tailor-made for exactly that sort of game.

The Unisystem comes in two flavours, Classic (of which AFMBE is one, check out free Witchcraft (http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product_info.php?products_id=692&it=1&filters=0_0_0_10097_0)for a look at the system if you like) and the lighter Cinematic (Angel, Buffy, Armies of Darkness and Ghosts of Albion). Angel would be a good option to meet the variety of genres you were talking about.

JonestheSpy
2010-04-13, 03:27 PM
I recommend d100, mostly known for its association with Call of Cthulu.

No levels or classes, just being skilled in whatever it is you choose to focus on.

GenPol
2010-04-13, 03:34 PM
I would recommend BESM 3rd. Works for just about everything, and then more.

Tyrmatt
2010-04-13, 04:00 PM
GURPs simulates modern very realistically in my opinion, with the example that if you fire a heavy machine gun at a man, what you get is a soggy pile of man bits.
There's also scope for everything from a completely mundane game to a game filled with psionics to a world-jumping, aliens invading, alternate history Third Reich won WWII by using magic world.

I've got a Fallout themed campaign on the go at the moment so there's lots of regular gunplay but also some weird mutants, robots and we're probably about to come into contact with the radiation rules soon. I've also found it very easy to add Super-Mutants and Ghouls to the game world with the Character Builder tool as well.

If you want to test it, there is a free basic set on the GURPs website ( Steve Jackson games).

Otherwise, all I've ever played apart from that is D&D and d20 Modern never looked that wonderful to me.

Tinydwarfman
2010-04-13, 04:14 PM
Another vote for GURPS, although I hear AFMBE is very good for this kind of game. Learn GURPS though, and you will be able to run any setting, any power level, and any style of game well.

Lost Wanderer
2010-04-13, 04:20 PM
Depends what you're going for, exactly.

Two-fisted pulp action with adventuring archeologists, mad scientists, zeppelins and jetpack Nazis in the years between the Great Wars? Try Spirit of the Century, which I still haven't played, but looks amazing.

Gritty modern-day international conflict resolution in war-torn third world nations? GURPS is good here, although it takes some time to get going.

If you like a dollop of supernatural in your modern day, GURPS is a pretty good choice again, as it's easy to make mostly mundane characters with real jobs and concerns and one or two extranormal advantages.

For superheroes, use Mutants and Masterminds. It's fantastic, and d20-based.

If you're looking for a more magical modern day, I can't recommend the World of Darkness enough. Both Old and New have their merits, and while I have a preference for Old, it's all good (except maybe Mummy).

Oh, and if you want adventuring archeologists, mad scientists, zeppelins and jetpack Nazis in the modern day, try the (completely free) nWoD fan game Genius: The Transgression (http://sites.google.com/site/moochava/genius). You play mad scientists! What's not to like?

Knaight
2010-04-13, 04:44 PM
Maybe i wanna try a return of the mummy or indiana jones kind of adventure, or a film noir type of detective story, or a modern day zombie apocalypse. What would a good generic system be that could suit all those needs?

Spirit of the Century is ideal for Jones, Fudge works wonders for Film Noir (And anything else really), though SoTC works as well, and as far as zombie apocalypse is concerned Fudge is again ideal, but there is also Shotgun Diaries. Though it is probably too narrative for you, if you are really used to D&D.

In addition to Fudge, ORE works, the Nemesis variation being perfect for zombie apocalypse or film noir, if you dial down the horror elements a bit. And everything I listed here is free.

Rappy
2010-04-13, 06:05 PM
D20 Modern with Blood and Brains: the Zombie Hunter's Guide might work for what you want.

If that's too 3E for you, there's always GURPS [insertwhateverhere] for your usage.