PDA

View Full Version : What are the Stat Mods for a Red Dragon? [3.5]

Kobold-Bard
2010-04-13, 04:13 PM
I'm building a V. Young Red Dragon for a campaign.

I can afford the RHD & LA, what are the Stat Mods etc. for using one as a PC?

Thanks in advance,

K-B

Runestar
2010-04-13, 04:17 PM
Subtract 10 or 11 from each stat to get an even number.

So that works out to +10str, +6con, +2int/wis/cha, +9NA. Your base fort/reflex/will saves are +7/+7/+7.

The rest should be self-explanatory. :smallsmile:

Kobold-Bard
2010-04-13, 04:20 PM
Subtract 10 or 11 from each stat to get an even number.

So that works out to +10str, +6con, +2int/wis/cha, +9NA. Your base fort/reflex/will saves are +7/+7/+7.

The rest should be self-explanatory. :smallsmile:

Works for me, thanks.

Set
2010-04-13, 05:11 PM
Note that a Very Young Red Dragon has 10 HD, which means he's already had 2 attribute increases based on his HD (the first at 4 HD, the second at 8 HD), which might be fiddly to figure out.

Or you could just ignore it. His stats *without* those additions, come out to 11, 10, 11, 10, 11, 10 (even at 7 HD, as a Wyrmling, when he *should* have one extra odd or even number, due to the +1 at 4 HD, ditto for the 13 HD young stage, when the +3 at 12 HD should have him with an uneven distribution again), which is correct for a creature with even-numbered attribute adjustments, so it's likely that the game designer forgot about it anyway...

Runestar
2010-04-13, 09:05 PM
Note that a Very Young Red Dragon has 10 HD, which means he's already had 2 attribute increases based on his HD (the first at 4 HD, the second at 8 HD), which might be fiddly to figure out.

I assume they are already factored into its existing stat mods, meaning you won't get an extra 2 stat points to play around with. You just apply its stat mods, and your 1st effective stat boost comes when you have 12 HD. :smallsmile:

Mystic Muse
2010-04-13, 09:10 PM
you are aware just how horribly behind the other PCs this will put you correct?

I suggest using these monsters instead. http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142724

The Red dragon here is going to be much better than the normal one.

Godskook
2010-04-13, 09:24 PM
I believe this is for the Dragon's campaign.

Mystic Muse
2010-04-13, 09:31 PM
I believe this is for the Dragon's campaign.

Dragon's campaign? Elaborate please.

Runestar
2010-04-13, 09:32 PM
you are aware just how horribly behind the other PCs this will put you correct?

I suggest using these monsters instead. http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142724

The Red dragon here is going to be much better than the normal one.

I think a red dragon PC is actually a fairly viable monster PC (one of the few ones actually). You probably start out strong, lag behind a little in the middle, and catch up (relative to other melee characters at any rate) afterwards. :smallsmile:

sofawall
2010-04-13, 09:45 PM
I assume they are already factored into its existing stat mods, meaning you won't get an extra 2 stat points to play around with. You just apply its stat mods, and your 1st effective stat boost comes when you have 12 HD. :smallsmile:

However, as the poster above you deduced, it appears the author just plain ignored the stat boosts when writing.

reptilecobra13
2010-04-14, 12:24 AM
Check out Dragon Magazine 332. It has an entire article about chromatic dragon PCs and might help you out considerably. It even gives progression from level 1 to 20. Enjoy!

Runestar
2010-04-14, 12:46 AM
However, as the poster above you deduced, it appears the author just plain ignored the stat boosts when writing.

If you consider that the author simply treats the various age categories as separate creatures, rather than advanced versions of the wyrmling base dragon, then it makes sense. :smallsmile:

Irreverent Fool
2010-04-14, 02:14 AM
Check out Dragon Magazine 332. It has an entire article about chromatic dragon PCs and might help you out considerably. It even gives progression from level 1 to 20. Enjoy!

This. If you want to play a red dragon, take the already-made gold dragon progression and modify a little bit.

obnoxious
sig

Kobold-Bard
2010-04-14, 05:31 AM
Thanks everybody. Probably should have mentioned this is for a Gestalt campaign, so I have a fullcasting sorcerer on the other side (with possibly the first ever proper use of Loredrake, pending DM approval).