PDA

View Full Version : Divine Necromancer

Ra_Va
2010-04-13, 04:42 PM
Just a Necromancer Class I'm working on. Nothing to serious but hopping if i work on it it will be kick ass. Might end up basically being the same thing but i hope not.

Divine Necromancer

Alignment: Any. Divine Necromancers are not limited to alignment but as they draw their powers from their deities and deities that are focused on Necromancy are Evil aligned they tend to lead that way but their are 'Good' Gods that will tolerate undead magic.

Class Skills: Appraise, Bluff, Craft, Decipher Script, Diplomacy, Disguise, Forgery, Gather Information, Intimidate, Knowledge (arcane), Knowledge (history), Search, Speak Language, Spellcraft, Use Magic Device and Use Psionic Device.

Skill Points at 1st Level
(6 + Int Modifier) x 4

Skill Points at Each Additional Level
(6 + Int Modifier)

Proficiencies:Simple Weapons,

Spells and Such: A Necromancer casts spells spontaneously as a sorcerer the spells DCs are based on intellect. A Necromancer chooses his/her spells from the following list:

0—disrupt undead, ghost sound, detect undead, ray of frost, arcane mark, detect magic, mage hand, light, detect poison and inflict minor wounds.

1st—cause fear, chill touch, ray of enfeeblement, burning hands, shocking grasp, unseen servant, mage armor, obscuring mist, deathwatch, doom, inflict light wounds, identify, lesser vampiric touch and summon undead I.

2nd—ghoul touch, scare, spectral hand, detect thoughts, darkness, darkvision, false life, see invisibility, inflict moderate wounds, death knell, desecrate, spider climb and summon undead II.

3rd—gentle repose, halt undead, vampiric touch, gaseous form, haste, displacement, animate dead, contagion, deeper darkness, inflict serious wounds, speak with dead, blindness/deafness, suggestion and summon undead III.

4th—bestow curse, greater invisibility, fear, enervation, inflict critical wounds, poison, tongues, scrying, detect scrying, ice storm, wall of ice and summon undead IV.

5th—magic jar, permanency, dominate person, cone of cold, nightmare, teleport, telekinesis, circle of doom, unhallow, true seeing, slay living, raise undead and summon undead V.

6th—create undead, blade barrier, harm, antilife shell, chain lightning, mass haste, acid fog and mass suggestion.

7th—destruction, greater scrying, regenerate, word of chaos, blasphemy, control weather, finger of death, control undead, limited wish, greater teleport, insanity and greater vampiric touch.

8th—create greater undead, unholy aura, cloak of chaos, clone, horrid wilting, mass charm monster, trap the soul and maze.

9th—implosion, gate, soul bind, storm of vengeance, imprisonment, wail of the banshee, wish and time stop.
Special Spells

Necromancy (Sp): Character gains +2 to necromancy spells and DCs.

Channel Touch (Sp): At 1st level, a Necromancer gains the spell like ability, Channel Touch. Channel Touch is a touch attack that deals your level in necromancy d12 damage. The victem of Channel Touch must pass a Fortitude save of DC 16 or Channel Touch takes effect. An example would be Mirage, a third level Necromancer. She would deal 3d12 damage (because she is level 3) to her opponent by touching it (givin the opponent also fail the fortitude save). Then the HP you removed from your opponent you can gain as a bonous you your HP. WARNING! Don't be surprised if this ability is restricted by a DM.

Summon Undead (Sp): At 2nd level, 5th level and every 5 levels thereafter, a necromancer learns the art of raising and summoning the undead. At first level, they may summon Skeletons and Zombies at will, but requires materials. At 5th level: Skeletons, Zombie, Ghouls and Ghasts (requires materials.) At 10th level: Skeletons, Zombies, Ghouls, Ghasts, Mummies and Necrospawn (requires materials.) At 15th level: Skeletons, Zombies, Ghouls, Ghasts, Mummies, Necrospawn, Vampires and Ghosts/Spectres (requires materials.) At 20th level, a necromancer may summon or raise any undead, but they still require materials. Summon Undead lasts for 10 + (Int + Necromancer Levels) days. To summon the undead, the Necromancer requires 1 jet stone per size category of the creature (found easily and is worth 10gp), a piece of red cloth (1ft x 1ft), a circle drawn around the corpse (or where the necromancer wants it to be summoned) and a holy symbol of the Necromancers deity (which can be re-used) on the corpse (or in the center of the circle).

Summon Undead Steed (Sp): At level 2 your deity grants you a gift, an undead steed. The nature of the steed is often an Undead Horse, however if a certain animal is in the deities' portfolio that it may be an undead version of that animal.

Negative Energy Healing (Ex): After attaining second level, a necromancer is healed with negative energy such as from an inflict light wounds spell, and is damaged by positive energy such as from a cure light wounds spell.

Death Aura (Sp): At 3rd level a necromancer gains a Death Aura. This aura extends in a 40 ft radius of the Necromancer and makes the air cold, clammy in addition to sucking away the happiness (-1 to attacks against the necromancer). Any undead within the aura must make a DC 10 + (Int + 1/2 Necromancer Level) or fall under the control of the necromancer for the rest of its existence (unless rebuked or charmed). If an undead is bound to another creature permanently (ex. Anti-Paladin's special mount), their connection trumps the Death Aura ability.

Favored Weapon:At level 4 the divine necromancer automatically becomes proficient in his/her deities favored weapon and gain new abilities with each level for the weapon. Level 4: Profincientcy Level 5: Blessing against slayers of Undead Level 6: Poison touch Level 7: Curse: If enemy survives encounter mindless undead levels 1-3 are drawn to him for the rest of their life. Level 8: Ghost Blade, Attacks ignore armor up too light armor Level 9: Divine Favor, slay a worship of one of your gods enemies counts as sacrifice to your diety. Level 10: Vampiric Touch, only works on Melee weapons, if a ranged weapon skip this ability.

Fear Aura (Sp): At 8th level a necromancer gains a Fear Aura. This extends 40 ft in all directions of the Necromancer and makes the air slightly foggy but gives no bonuses to concealment. Any creature that is affected by fear effects must make a DC 10 + (Int + 1/2 Necromancer Level) or be shaken for 2d6 rounds.

Temple of Death: At 10th level, the divine necromancer may build a temple of death to their god. S/He may only posses one temple of death at any one time, but if one is destroyed, they may create another. The temple must be created out of the bones of creatures killed by the necromancer or his servants, bonded together with a paste made out of blood and various thickeners. The temple may be of any size, but every 10 cubic feet costs 10 man-hours and 10gp to build. Bone walls must be at least 1' thick, and ceilings and floors, ½' thick. Undead slaves lack the dexterity to build the temple, so living engineers must be brought in. The temple bones are magically resistant to damage and is treated as the hardest type of stone.
While in his temple, saving throws against his powers are at an additional -2, -1 if the target is not also in his temple.
The necromancer heals 1HP per turn while in his temple.
Finally, the necromancer can call up to one skeleton from the walls of his temple per 10 cubic feet of bone per day. These skeletons cannot be called out within 5' of each other and can never leave the temple.

Inflict Wounds At Will (Sp): At 12th, 15th and 18th a Necromancer can cast at will Inflict Light, Moderate and Serious Wound At Will.

Imbue Item (Su): A necromancer of 13th level or higher can use his supernatural power to create magic items, even if he does not know the spells required to make an item (although he must know the appropriate item creation feat). He can substitute a Use Magic Device check (DC 15 + spell level for arcane spells or 25 + spell level for divine spells) in place of a required spell he doesn’t know or can’t cast.If the check succeeds, the necromancer can create the item as if he had cast the required spell. If it fails, he cannot complete the item. He does not expend the XP or gp costs for making the item; his progress is simply arrested. He cannot retry this Use Magic Device check for that spell until he gains a new level.

Phylactery (Ex): At 20th level a Necromancer can trap some of his soul into a Phylactery (see Lich’s Phylactery).

====
Undead Steed

Ra_Va
2010-04-25, 01:57 AM
Ok so far ended up being a barely edited class found on D&D wiki kind of wondering if its over powered in my attempt to make them more clerical based. Gave them a steed too something I thought was awesome. Haven't quite added the steed stats yet but yeah. Thoughts?

herbe
2010-04-25, 03:06 PM
useful link (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10313)

Use table:

{table=head]charlevel|fort|ref...
1|+0|f
2|+2|b
[/table]

This is an example table given above:
{table=head]charlevel|fort|ref...
1|+0|f
2|+2|b
[/table]

useful link (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10313)

Sydonai
2010-04-25, 04:10 PM
Wait, this guy heals with negative energy, and can use Inflict Serious Wounds at-will?

Ra_Va
2010-04-25, 07:59 PM
Currently yes. That was on the class found on the wiki. He doesn't get ISW until 18th level so i thought it balanced out.

Glimbur
2010-04-25, 09:54 PM
Wait, this guy heals with negative energy, and can use Inflict Serious Wounds at-will?

To be fair, Dread Necromancers get Charnel Touch at first level and can take the Tomb Tainted Soul feat or be necropolitan or hit the capstone or be undead enough any number of ways. It's only somewhat stronger to be able to do it entirely from class features, and ISW level healing is faster than charnel touch iirc.

What the heck, I'll PEACH this.

Class Skills: Appraise, Bluff, Craft, Decipher Script, Diplomacy, Disguise, Forgery, Gather Information, Intimidate, Knowledge (arcane), Knowledge (history), Search, Speak Language, Spellcraft, Use Magic Device and Use Psionic Device.

Skill Points at 1st Level
(6 + Int Modifier) x 4

Skill Points at Each Additional Level
(6 + Int Modifier)

Proficiencies:Simple Weapons,
That's a lot of skill points and very nice skills (mostly UMD and UPD are really good). It's odd that a spellcaster doesn't have Concentration as a class skill. Did you want to give them any armor proficiencies? It looks like you just trailed off there.

What are the BAB, hit die, and saves? I'd guesstimate 1/2 BAB or 3/4, d6 hit die, and good will save.

Spell list is like sorcerer but even more limited. There are some weird spells on the list which don't seem thematic:
0:whatever, they're cantrips
1:Burning Hands and shocking grasp are strange.
2:see invis is a little weird, spider climb is weirder
3:haste and displacement seem odd for a necromancer to have
4:tongues, scrying, and detect scrying are strange.
5:cone of cold sorta makes sense, teleport and telekinesis don't.
6:blade barrier, chain lightning, mass haste, acid fog and mass suggestion are all strange
7:regenerate, word of chaos, blasphemy, control weather, limited wish, greater teleport all seems kind of arbitrary and non-thematic.
8:unholy aura, cloak of chaos, clone, , mass charm monster, and maze are odd.
9:implosion, gate, storm of vengeance, imprisonment, wish and time stop are weird. That's most of the 9th level spells.

Necromancy (Sp): Character gains +2 to necromancy spells and DCs. +2 what? Caster level?

Channel Touch (Sp): At 1st level, a Necromancer gains the spell like ability, Channel Touch. Channel Touch is a touch attack that deals your level in necromancy d12 damage. The victem[sic] of Channel Touch must pass a Fortitude save of DC 16 or Channel Touch takes effect. An example would be Mirage, a third level Necromancer. She would deal 3d12 damage (because she is level 3) to her opponent by touching it (givin[sic] the opponent also fail the fortitude save). Then the HP you removed from your opponent you can gain as a bonous[sic] you your HP. WARNING! Don't be surprised if this ability is restricted by a DM.
This is crazy good. Two touches, assuming failed fort saves, and an equal level barbarian is quite possibly dead. As an at will ability. Even worse, it gives you temp hp? Do they stack? This is entirely too powerful both in base damage and for giving bonus hp. Why would I ever cast the Vampiric Touch line?

How long do summoned undead last? Unless the answer is rounds/level, this is too good. The ability to walk around with many minions for a trivial cost is much better than what other classes can do, a cleric or wizard focusing on necromancy has to pay a lot more for minions and malconvokers and other summoners take in-combat actions to get a group of lackeys. What is a necrospawn?

The undead steed needs stats. Did you want it to scale with class level?

Negative Energy Healing is like a free feat. That's fine.

Death Aura: what kind of save do the undead have to make? I'd assume a will save, but it doesn't specify. Does this follow standard limits on how many undead can be controlled? If an undead makes the save, does it have to save again next round, when it re-enters the aura, after 24 hours, or what? This is also really good, it's rather like unlimited rebuke undead attempts.

The special weapon abilities are poorly defined. On a hunch, poison as the spell on every attack is quite strong.

Temple of Death is cute. Healing one hp/round is kind of nice for long-term stuff, but whatever. A standard adventurer wouldn't build one because they go kick other people's doors in. Cool for villains.

Inflict wounds at will: the wording could be cleaned up a little, but I see what you're trying to say. Not a big deal power-wise.

Imbue Item:....what? I don't see how this is necromantic at all, and it's quite powerful. Warlocks are not full casters, which is why it's not such a big deal that they get this. Artificers get similar powers, which is why they're really really good.

Phylactery: It'd be easier to say they get the Lich template for no LA, like the Dread Necromancer does.

Short way to fix the class: use Dread Necromancer from Heroes of Horror instead. It's a dedicated necromancer class and doesn't have the concerns that this class does.

Long way to fix the class: address all the concerns I raised. Even then, I don't see why being a divine necromancer is necessary. It's a role that can be filled by a cleric with the right domains, a wizard focusing on necromancy, or a Dread Necromancer. I don't see anything really special mechanically here, besides adding warlock powers and really cheap undead to a limited full caster.

Stompy
2010-04-25, 10:35 PM
just quick PEACHing two abilities that definitely raised red flags to me.

Channel Touch (Sp): At 1st level, a Necromancer gains the spell like ability, Channel Touch. Channel Touch is a touch attack that deals your level in necromancy d12 damage. The victem of Channel Touch must pass a Fortitude save of DC 16 or Channel Touch takes effect. An example would be Mirage, a third level Necromancer. She would deal 3d12 damage (because she is level 3) to her opponent by touching it (givin the opponent also fail the fortitude save). Then the HP you removed from your opponent you can gain as a bonous you your HP. WARNING! Don't be surprised if this ability is restricted by a DM.

1. Why is the fort save fixed at 16? Why isn't it something on the lines of 10 + 1/2 level + a stat mod? This DC is great early but useless way later into the character progression.

2. What is this bonus to your HP? The sane answer is "temp HP that goes away later", but from the context, it seems that you intend it to be a permanent gain. That's really broken imo, and it'll lead to me channel touching everything in a pet store to drive my HP into the hundreds, if not thousands.

3. The die type seems high as an at-will ability imo, especially at lower level play.

4. Did you intend for the necromancy +2 bonus to go with this ability?

5. Is this negative energy damage? It seems like it should be negative energy damage. If so, the high damage scares me to the fact where you can heal yourself tremendously in one round (and give yourself permanent HP?).

Death Aura (Sp): At 3rd level a necromancer gains a Death Aura. This aura extends in a 40 ft radius of the Necromancer and makes the air cold, clammy in addition to sucking away the happiness (-1 to attacks against the necromancer). Any undead within the aura must make a DC 10 + (Int + 1/2 Necromancer Level) or fall under the control of the necromancer for the rest of its existence (unless rebuked or charmed). If an undead is bound to another creature permanently (ex. Anti-Paladin's special mount), their connection trumps the Death Aura ability.

1. What save is this? (I assume that it is a will [?] save to resist being controlled by the aura.)

2. Do the undead affected by this ability have to re-save every round within the aura?

3. Due to the wording of this ability, this seems like not only can I grab as many skeletons and zombies with this as I please (kiting tactics), I could potentially grab intelligent undead, including but not limited to: liches, dracolichs, demi-liches, and vampires. Should there be a safeguard against the intelligent undead, like as in the command undead spell, which treats them as "charmed". Moreover, shouldn't there be a cap on how many HD of undead you can have converted with this ability?