PDA

View Full Version : PrC to progress Assassin casting

true_shinken
2010-04-13, 08:07 PM
Hey guys.
I have a character in my game playing the rise and fall of a Mystic Ranger to great effect - starting as a good Mystic Ranger, falling, becoming an Assassin and now being good again.
Thing is, the player grew fond of Assassin spellcasting and wants to progress let. I let her keep her Assassin abilities even after changing alignment to good (since they are skill-based and I don't think you would 'forget' them simply because you are a better person), but I won't allow her to get more levels as an assassin.
My question is which PrC you guys suggest that is easy to qualify, progresses arcane spellcasting (+1 every two levels would be okay) and is somewhat robust (d8 hit dice would be better)?
Character in question is a Human Mystic Ranger 5/Assassin 3; her level 9 feat slot is already compromised.

The Glyphstone
2010-04-13, 08:09 PM
Unseen Seer maybe? It's a full-casting class, though it takes a penalty on non-divinations, and also advances sneak attack..

Ernir
2010-04-13, 08:13 PM
Definitely Unseen Seer. Ties up two of his first level Assassin spells to the Divinations (they have precisely two, right?), but aside from that, qualifying should be trivial.

true_shinken
2010-04-13, 08:14 PM
Unseen Seer maybe? It's a full-casting class, though it takes a penalty on non-divinations, and also advances sneak attack..

It was my first thought. Low Hit Dice makes me wonder... Unseen Seer into Eldritch Knight would almost do it, except Mystic Rangers are not proficient with all martial weapons. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Godskook
2010-04-13, 08:19 PM
Let's see:

Abjurant Champion
Daggerspell Mage(Assuming certain feats)
Arcane Trickster(Assuming certain skills)
Sacred Exorcist(Assuming a certain spell)

But really, with a build mostly set into stone, we'd need a better idea of the build, including feats and skills.

Keld Denar
2010-04-13, 08:22 PM
Me and Draz came up with the idea of progressing Assassin with Bladesinger. Bladesinger is normally a trashy PrC, given that its half casting, but it is full BAB and gives you some kinda neat abilities, like swiftcasting a spell of 2nd or 4th level. It would be better if it was more than once per day, but thats easy to houserule. Afterall, it was published in Complete Warrior, the first of the Complete series. They buffed Hexblade after all.

Starbuck_II
2010-04-13, 08:23 PM
Hey guys.
I have a character in my game playing the rise and fall of a Mystic Ranger to great effect - starting as a good Mystic Ranger, falling, becoming an Assassin and now being good again.
Thing is, the player grew fond of Assassin spellcasting and wants to progress let. I let her keep her Assassin abilities even after changing alignment to good (since they are skill-based and I don't think you would 'forget' them simply because you are a better person), but I won't allow her to get more levels as an assassin.
My question is which PrC you guys suggest that is easy to qualify, progresses arcane spellcasting (+1 every two levels would be okay) and is somewhat robust (d8 hit dice would be better)?
Character in question is a Human Mystic Ranger 5/Assassin 3; her level 9 feat slot is already compromised.

Arcane Trickster fits everything but HD.
Jade Pheonix Mage has D6. You'll need to either take a ToB class or take 2 feats (Martial study and Stance).
Master of Masks is 1/2 progression w/ D6.
Sand Shaper w/ D6 (8/10 progression).

Mongoose87
2010-04-13, 08:24 PM
I'd do Unseen Seer with interspersed Abjurant Champion levels.

true_shinken
2010-04-13, 08:26 PM
I'd do Unseen Seer with interspersed Abjurant Champion levels.
That would be awesome, except asassins don't get shield, deflect or the other Abjurat Champion goodies.

Let's see:

Abjurant Champion
Daggerspell Mage(Assuming certain feats)
Arcane Trickster(Assuming certain skills)
Sacred Exorcist(Assuming a certain spell)

But really, with a build mostly set into stone, we'd need a better idea of the build, including feats and skills.
I like the idea of Daggerspell Mage! The character actually uses short swords, but I like the idea enough to bend the rules a little to make it work. Only feat missing is Weapon Focus...

Arcane Trickster fits everything but HD.
Jade Pheonix Mage has D6. You'll need to either take a ToB class or take 2 feats (Martial study and Stance).
Master of Masks is 1/2 progression w/ D6.
Sand Shaper w/ D6 (8/10 progression).
Master of Masks has poor base attack, Sand Shaper is very weird for a character from her region (kinda norse). I like the idea of Jade Phoenix Mage, though! The whole reincarnation thing fits like a glove on the concept of the character's guild.
I'll show the player both the Daggerspell Mage and the Jade Phoenix Mage and see what she thinks about it. Thanks a lot!

The Glyphstone
2010-04-13, 08:40 PM
That would be awesome, except asassins don't get shield, deflect or the other Abjurat Champion goodies.

I like the idea of Daggerspell Mage! The character actually uses short swords, but I like the idea enough to bend the rules a little to make it work. Only feat missing is Weapon Focus...

Master of Masks has poor base attack, Sand Shaper is very weird for a character from her region (kinda norse). I like the idea of Jade Phoenix Mage, though! The whole reincarnation thing fits like a glove on the concept of the character's guild.
I'll show the player both the Daggerspell Mage and the Jade Phoenix Mage and see what she thinks about it. Thanks a lot!

There's also Mystic Theurge technically - it's not robust in any way, but it'll progress her Ranger casting and her Assassin casting at the same time...

JasonP
2010-04-13, 08:42 PM
With Daggerspell Mage you may want to find a way to add some touch spells that deal damage to his Assassin casting so he can use the features of the Daggerspell class. It's probably a good choice though, and you can probably handwave Weapon Focus (or maybe even give it to him free since it doesn't do too much).

Mongoose87
2010-04-13, 08:53 PM

Even so, Abjurant Champion gets you full BaB, d10 HD and 5/5 spellscasting. It's pretty solid.

Sinfire Titan
2010-04-13, 10:09 PM
Nar-Demonbinder (requires 4th level summoning spells) for 8th level spells.