PDA

View Full Version : [nWoD] Wandering Freedman Storyteller

Aron Times
2010-04-13, 08:37 PM
So I submitted a character concept based on Masquerade's Theo Bell to an RPOL game. My character got approved, and got 40 bonus XP for the well-written background. Basically, he is a former slave who got Embraced before the Civil War by a Ventrue Dragon. He was the slaves' storyteller back in the day, keeping hope alive in their harsh existence. He had a large repertoire of stories to entertain his fellow slaves and has collected numerous others in his long Requiem. I represented this as having Academics (History) 3 and Occult 2. His stories vary in their realism but almost all of them have happy ending (keeping with the hope theme).

The game is still recruiting, and the first two weeks are going to be spent freeform RPing (within limits) with the current cast. The game will formally begin this Sunday, April 18. So far, we have a good mix of supernaturals. At least four vampires, at least two werewolves, one Purified immortal, and several others who didn't specify what kind of supernatural they were in their viewable character description.

Anyway, I was planning on roleplaying my character as a repository of old folk tales, especially ones that aren't commonly told in the modern world. I'm looking for suggestions on stories that date back from the slavery period of the USA to the modern world, again, with a preference for those not commonly told in the present.

Any suggestions on where to begin? I have a PDF of the stories of the Brothers' Grimm, but I don't want to rely solely on them. My character is over 150 years old, and would have gathered more than their stories.

So, what do you think?