who was fond of all kinds of doors,
so everywhere he went
his spells were spent
on making illusory doors;
never were there enough for Mores!

To Mores' doors along came Billy
whose save was so low it was silly,
He reached for a knob and let out a gasp
as the illusory knob went through his grasp.
Over and over again tried poor Billy,
whose save was so low it was silly.

If someone were to create a permanent illusory door (complete with a door knob or handle) and someone else tried to grab the handle to open it, but failed their save to disbelieve for the interaction, what exactly happens? Do they simply think it locked? How does one adjudicate such a situation?

Private-Prinny
2010-04-13, 09:38 PM
I'd say that having your hand phase through the knob a few times is sufficient proof that it's an illusion. Automatic success on the save to disbelieve.

Ravingdork
2010-04-13, 09:46 PM
I'd say that having your hand phase through the knob a few times is sufficient proof that it's an illusion. Automatic success on the save to disbelieve.

What if the attempt was only tried once? How does one explain away the belief?

Jack_Simth
2010-04-13, 09:47 PM

Usually agreed. However, there's that pesky Wizard Illusionist alternate class feature: Chains of Disbelief....

Optimystik
2010-04-13, 09:47 PM

Obviously they would think they missed the handle and try again. Disbelief would be inevitable unless the person has no Int score.

Private-Prinny
2010-04-13, 09:48 PM

It still doesn't change the fact that there's absolutely zero tactile response from a figment, so he would disbelieve if it was my ruling.

Yukitsu
2010-04-13, 09:49 PM
Usually agreed. However, there's that pesky Wizard Illusionist alternate class feature: Chains of Disbelief....

Ahh, I love that ability. :smallbiggrin:

erikun
2010-04-13, 09:57 PM
Depends on which spell was used. With a permanent Silent Image, they could place their hand on the doornob but not feel anything was there. If they still cannot make their saving throw for whatever reason, then they are stuck behind the "door" as if some kind of compulsion. I really don't see how they couldn't make the save when it became obvious, though.

Using the Permanent Image generates a tactile sense, so they would think the doornob was there and it was just stuck. (or locked, if the illusion is that advanced) They wouldn't get through the door unless they made their save or proved it an illusion, such as trying to hack through it.