PDA

View Full Version : Word. Microsoft Word, that is.

Deth Muncher
2010-04-14, 12:54 AM
Hey, so quick question. I know older versions of Word have advanced grammar checking settings, like checking for run-on sentences and such. How do I get to that menu in Word 2007?

Savannah
2010-04-14, 01:44 AM
Click on the button at the top left. It will open the main open/save/print/exit/etc menu. Down at the bottom of this menu is "Word Options". This will open another menu. On the left side, the third choice down is "Proofing". If what you want exists, it will be there (I never use the grammar checker, so I don't know what it's like). Hope that made sense!

Deth Muncher
2010-04-14, 01:48 AM
Click on the button at the top left. It will open the main open/save/print/exit/etc menu. Down at the bottom of this menu is "Word Options". This will open another menu. On the left side, the third choice down is "Proofing". If what you want exists, it will be there (I never use the grammar checker, so I don't know what it's like). Hope that made sense!

That didn't exactly get me to where I needed to go, but it got me there by helping me and stuff and stuff. SO THANKS! :D <3

Zeb The Troll
2010-04-14, 01:52 AM
That's to adjust the settings. I think you can find what you're looking for by going to the "Review" ribbon and you'll see a big ABC with a checkmark underneath it labeled "Spelling & Grammar".

Hope that helps.

Serpentine
2010-04-14, 01:53 AM
Y'know, it's extremely unlikely that this thread will actually get deleted, or even locked probably, so why not keep the title the way it was and let people keep using it for their own purposes?
For example, I would like to know how you found it, and whether there's any such option for OpenOffice.

Deth Muncher
2010-04-14, 01:58 AM
Y'know, it's extremely unlikely that this thread will actually get deleted, or even locked probably, so why not keep the title the way it was and let people keep using it for their own purposes?
For example, I would like to know how you found it, and whether there's any such option for OpenOffice.

Oh. I can do that too. Un momento, pa'jawlista.

EDIT: Also, Zeb, that's precisely what I did. I just forgot that little ABC button was up there, let alone that I could click it to get to the checking properties.

Ashtar
2010-04-14, 07:07 AM
Open office, Writer (version 3.1.1 or later):

Install Dictionaries: Tools -> Language -> More dictionaries online...
Wait until the webpage opens (or http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/dictionary?cid=926385 ) then click on English (http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/en/project/dict-en-fixed ), click on the "Get It" image. Download the "dict-en.oxt" file.
Open it with OpenOffice.org as a program or Tools -> Extension Manager -> Add ... and select the dict-en.oxt file.
Say Ok to installing it in the Extension manager.

Write some text (dfdsfc if possible, so that it does underline it) in the Writer window.
Select it.
Go to Tools -> Language -> For selection
Select English (Australian) (If you don't have Australian in the list, click More... and change the language of the Font to English (Australian).

Once you get a Tick in front of your language in the For Selection window, you can run a Tools -> Spelling and grammar (or hit F7). Of course, if it detects no error (or no text) it says "The spellcheck is complete" and exits directly (also if you have no language selected).

To make sure it checks for grammar, make a spelling mistake (fdfdsfdf for example) and then when you get into the spell-check window, click on Options... and verify that the "Check grammar as you type" checkmark is present.

To access the Thesaurus, either go Tools -> Language -> Thesaurus or hit Ctrl-F7.

All in all, this is a pile of usability issues that shows that no one ever spent 15s on the usability of the spellchecking tools. 99.9% of users give up before having spell-checking + grammar checking in Open office.

Savannah
2010-04-15, 02:18 AM
That's to adjust the settings. I think you can find what you're looking for by going to the "Review" ribbon and you'll see a big ABC with a checkmark underneath it labeled "Spelling & Grammar".

Hope that helps.

*facepalm* Oh, yeah. Dunno why I thought of the settings, and not that.

Deathslayer7
2010-04-15, 02:26 AM
Beware! Do not trust the Words spellcheck! Espcially grammatical errors. It is not to be trusted! :smallannoyed:

You have been warned!

But seriously spell check word is ok. Grammar wise, not so much.