PDA

View Full Version : Is Emphatic Transfer, Hostile worth it?

gallagher
2010-04-14, 01:18 AM
is it? i have a 3rd level power to go with, and i already have concealing amorpha, greater. or is there one that is better for me as a psychic warrior?

i feel as if i dont need to be helped putting out more damage, as i already am a decent fighter, so i am easily persuaded to gain a power with a bit more utility, or at least something that will give me a different direction that i can go in.

ectoplasmic form also looks interesting, to say the least

Trekkin
2010-04-14, 01:20 AM
Dimension Slide, perhaps? It will expand your utility to be able to teleport.

Escheton
2010-04-14, 01:23 AM
Its the psionic version of vampiric touch basicly right?
exept it very save dependent if im not mistaken.
Its great when your healer is afk, and you need to stay standing for a bit longer and are dealing with a meaty foe.

Samb
2010-04-14, 04:21 AM
Its the psionic version of vampiric touch basicly right?
exept it very save dependent if im not mistaken.
Its great when your healer is afk, and you need to stay standing for a bit longer and are dealing with a meaty foe.

It is will save for half so it's not as "save dependant" (whatever that means) as you think. It is not as good as vampiric touch in that it is mind affecting, meaning lots of thing are immune to it. If you have a psicrystal you can use it to deliver this attack for you at a safe distance as well.
That being said, gaining up to 90 hp, while dealing 90 pts of damage is not bad at all. My favorite ardent build involves dominant ideal ACF, HET, power of opportunity and Roliant's gambit (sp?).
An enemy hits you, you use HET as your AoO (via power of opportunity and R.gambit). They hit you again you HET them again since dominant ideal allows you to maintain your focus. So basically makes attacking pointless and dangerous since all this happens during your opponents' turn. Then there is the possibilty you used linked power with all those HETs. Oh wait, did you metapower HET with both linked power AND power of opportunity? So by your turn you also gained a bunch of readied actions (HET linked to synchronicy).

Win DnD.

Person_Man
2010-04-14, 09:05 AM
IMO, Empathic Transfer Hostile is one of the most important powers you can get, especially if you aren't playing a King of Smack. It's a very efficient method of healing yourself in combat while still damaging your enemy. Against boss enemies without Mettle, it pretty much guarantees that you deal Manifester level * 5 damage (or Manifester level * 10 if they fail their Will Save) while healing yourself the same amount of damage, and against mook rushes the ability to use it as a 20 ft burst basically kills everyone standing near you while healing you to full hit points.

RagnaroksChosen
2010-04-14, 09:15 AM
I love this power.
Especialy when you get to ML 11.
When you can pop it for every one in 20 feat of you.

I have a wicked cool drainer type character.
But this is an awsome power i'd grab it.

Is there a Reach metapsionic power?

Quirinus_Obsidian
2010-04-14, 09:43 AM
I love this power.
Especialy when you get to ML 11.
When you can pop it for every one in 20 feat of you.

I have a wicked cool drainer type character.
But this is an awsome power i'd grab it.

not that I know of, but I am sure it can be homebrewed. Prolly cost 2 or 4 PPts, and have to expend Psi focus like any other metapsi feat. There is a reach spell feat, it does cost +2 spell level for metamagic.

Another option is Psicrystal Affinity , you can use your Psicrystal to deliver the touch power :smallsmile:

gallagher
2010-04-14, 01:26 PM
if it changes anyone's answers at all, i am at level 10, fighter 2 psywarrior 8, and have inertial armor, call weaponry, expand, hustle, dissolving weapon, strength of my enemy, and concealing amorpha, greater

RagnaroksChosen
2010-04-14, 01:28 PM
if it changes anyone's answers at all, i am at level 10, fighter 2 psywarrior 8, and have inertial armor, call weaponry, expand, hustle, dissolving weapon, strength of my enemy, and concealing amorpha, greater

Ya i would grab it... though I belive Vampiric weapon is strictly better,

Kaiyanwang
2010-04-14, 02:08 PM
IMO, Empathic Transfer Hostile is one of the most important powers you can get, especially if you aren't playing a King of Smack. It's a very efficient method of healing yourself in combat while still damaging your enemy. Against boss enemies without Mettle, it pretty much guarantees that you deal Manifester level * 5 damage (or Manifester level * 10 if they fail their Will Save) while healing yourself the same amount of damage, and against mook rushes the ability to use it as a 20 ft burst basically kills everyone standing near you while healing you to full hit points.

Definitively this.

Samb
2010-04-14, 02:54 PM

Use your psicrystal to deliver the touch attack for you, or use the augmentation for it's AoE drain.

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-04-14, 03:03 PM
This is a key ability in my ToS build Shinji Ikari, the most Emo Man Alive.

Basically, I use a combination of Empathic Transfer, Hostile plus Empathic Feedback.

You hit me. You take damage.

Then I use Empathic Transfer, Hostile. I heal the damage you just did, and you take more damage.

Of course, he also uses Psionic Dispel spam to drop your defenses vs Mind-Affecting...

Repeat as necessary.

Augmented Lurk
2010-04-14, 03:44 PM
Do you have Complete Psionic? ET,H got nerfed heavily in CP, only dealing half the damage it used to. It's definitely worth it if you're using the pre-nerf version, though.

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-04-14, 04:07 PM
{scrubbed}

Samb
2010-04-14, 04:22 PM
{Scrubbed}

Eldariel
2010-04-14, 04:34 PM
{Scrubbed}

...unlikely. CChampion has:
Fist of the Forests
Holt Warden
Mythic Exemplar
Ordained Champion
Paragnostic Apostle

A ton of usable ACFs

Devotion-feats
Battle Blessing
Holy Warrior
A few handy Wild-feats

Costly material components with extra effects to spells

Organization Association-benefits
Really, Complete Champion has a bunch of poorly balanced material, but it also isn't as bad as Complete Divine, and it's one of my most-used sources too, simply because it has so much useful stuff for so many different characters.

And CAdv still has:
Scout
Master of Many Forms
Exemplar
Fochlucan Lyrist
Shadowbane Stalker

and

Leap Attack
Brutal Throw -> Power Throw
Ascetic Mage
Devoted Tracker
Extraordinary Concentration
Extraordinary Spell Aim
Improved Flight
Natural Bond
for the more usable options. Sure, it's no CChamp or CMage, but it beats CPsi and its:
Ardent
Anarchic Initiate
Linked Power
Practiced Manifester
Synad Multitask, Enhanced
and a handful of powers (and power nerfs)
quite handily

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-04-14, 04:54 PM
{Scrubbed}

Dacia Brabant
2010-04-14, 05:31 PM
I would only take it if you're pretty sure you won't be facing a lot of mobs that have [mind-affecting] immunity.

Sometimes it's better to grab a lower level power. What do you have for your 1st and 2nd levels?

gallagher
2010-04-14, 09:40 PM
I would only take it if you're pretty sure you won't be facing a lot of mobs that have [mind-affecting] immunity.

Sometimes it's better to grab a lower level power. What do you have for your 1st and 2nd levels?

inertial armor, call weaponry, expand, hustle, dissolving weapon, strength of my enemy, and concealing amorpha, greater

Escheton
2010-04-14, 11:57 PM
1 whats scrubbed
2 with save dependent, I meant save negates, or similar.
half is decent

Samb
2010-04-15, 12:56 AM
Since my original post got scrubber, I'll say it again:
Dimensional slide might be better at your level since HET requires more PP to be effective. I'm personally not a big fan of greater concealing amorpha, especially at level 7. 1 round/level is not that long and why I think the regular is better (1 min/level).

On a side note; you could retrain and get the mantled warrior ACF at level 2 for freedom mantle. Dimension hop lets you travel 10 feet AS A SWIFT ACTION, and in most ways superior to slide. At level 7 both move you 40 feet, but hop moves you as a swift action while slide is a standard action. As you gain MLs hop will beat slide in terms of distance as well (if you are willing to pay for it) and always as a swift action, something slide can't even do (+6PP for move action). Hop is almost always useful for a frontliner since a hope of 10-15 will prevent any mob without pounce to not be able to full attack you, which IMO makes it great utility and defense.

Oh and D.hop as well as freedom mantle are both from CPsi.