PDA

View Full Version : Mad Monk, Durzagon.

CrankyPsion
2010-04-14, 05:58 AM
Ello forums! First time posting on this forum, so please be gentle.

ANYWAYS my new dm is wanting to run a campaign with characters ranging from +0 la to +1 la. I had an idea for a monk character and he seemed to like it, but I thought id run it by you folks and see what you thought.

My idea is to make a mad monk that searches for enlightenment through more infernal sources than most monks seem to. So far the only real ideas I have hammered out are that he is a Durzagon with infernal runes tatooed in bands around various parts of his body and he keeps a belt with various things like thunderstones and acid.

Problem is there are not playable stats for a durzagon and if they were I doubt they would be la0 or la+1, but my dm said that because he liked my idea he would work with me on this.

My original idea was either to play it using just duergar stats or tiefling stats and leave the rest to fluff, any opinions?

(I know duergar have fairly weak stats but the -4 cha doesnt really hurt a monk, and im really more into roleplaying than powergaming)

Any ideas or opinions are welcome, even if its just suggestions on how I can add to the concept.

Kurald Galain
2010-04-14, 06:00 AM
Enlightenment through infernal sources... have you considered the Warlock class?

CrankyPsion
2010-04-14, 06:34 AM
I have, but it just does not feel right. Ive always liked the idea of being unarmored and unarmed. I have this image in my head of a durzagon meditating peacefully and then just going berserk. In a bruce lee way, not a barbarian way. Im pretty set on monk.

Starbuck_II
2010-04-14, 06:41 AM
I'd suggest 1 lv of Warblade: Punishing Stance is very berserk-like (-2 AC, but +1d6 damage).

Kurald Galain
2010-04-14, 06:42 AM
Ive always liked the idea of being unarmored and unarmed.
Warlocks are unarmed and usually unarmored. Anyway, they're more of a "hadoken" kind of monk, which may or may not be what you want.

Runestar
2010-04-14, 06:42 AM
Durzagon is statted in MM2, but it is a hefty ECL8, unfortunately.

Fiend folio has a dwarf-tiefling variant that is LA+1. Might be relevant.

Critical
2010-04-14, 07:11 AM
Warlock/Monk/Enlightened Fist is what you need... It even has a class with enlightened in it's name. :smalltongue:

Doc Roc
2010-04-14, 07:48 AM
There is an interesting and not-bad PrC called Runescarred Berserker. It will require you to not be a monk, but that's like saying that having friends will require having fun with them.
My preferred entry would be a totem barbarian using complete champion substitution levels. The one that gives pounce is MMmmm MMMm good.

Alternatively, someone will be happy to tell you about tashalatoran, and psionics is just one small reflavor away from an internalized Gift From Below.

I know that RP > Powergaming, but mechanics are just mechanics. Fluff is what you make it.

Sinfire Titan
2010-04-14, 09:08 AM
I have, but it just does not feel right. Ive always liked the idea of being unarmored and unarmed. I have this image in my head of a durzagon meditating peacefully and then just going berserk. In a bruce lee way, not a barbarian way. Im pretty set on monk.

Refluff EB to a Hadoken. Done.