PDA

View Full Version : Obscuring mist and Gust of wind

stenver
2010-04-14, 07:34 AM
Obscuring Mist

A moderate wind (11+ mph), such as from a gust of wind spell, disperses the fog in 4 rounds. A strong wind (21+ mph) disperses the fog in 1 round. A fireball, flame strike, or similar spell burns away the fog in the explosive or fiery spell’s area. A wall of fire burns away the fog in the area into which it deals damage.

Gust of Wind

This spell creates a severe blast of air (approximately 50 mph) that originates from you, affecting all creatures in its path.

What am i supposed to make of this?

And how fast does Wind Wall disperse the Obscuring mist?

Kurald Galain
2010-04-14, 07:36 AM
Well, since 50 mph is greater than 21 mph, it strikes me that it disperses the fog in one round, at least in the area of effect of the Gust of Wind.

Serpentine
2010-04-14, 07:38 AM
You could maybe houserule that a gust that fast might do it in less than a round, but other than that... What he said.

stenver
2010-04-14, 07:43 AM
so it is basically a typo from WoTC?

Thank you

What about the Wind wall?

Serpentine
2010-04-14, 07:45 AM
What typo? :smallconfused:

Emmerask
2010-04-14, 07:56 AM
I think he is referring to this part ^^ (typo used in a broader meaning :smallwink:)

Obscuring Mist

A moderate wind (11+ mph), such as from a gust of wind spell, disperses the fog in 4 rounds. A strong wind (21+ mph) disperses the fog in 1 round. A fireball, flame strike, or similar spell burns away the fog in the explosive or fiery spell’s area. A wall of fire burns away the fog in the area into which it deals damage.

Gust of Wind

This spell creates a severe blast of air (approximately 50 mph) that originates from you, affecting all creatures in its path.

What am i supposed to make of this?

And how fast does Wind Wall disperse the Obscuring mist?

Yes they did not check what ghust of wind does before writing it :smallwink:

stenver
2010-04-14, 08:04 AM
Exactly, but any suggestions on the Wind Wall question?

Serpentine
2010-04-14, 08:05 AM
Aha! I see. Sorry, Stenver.
What's the text for Wind Wall say?

stenver
2010-04-14, 08:07 AM
Nothing specific

Wind Wall
Evocation [Air]
Level: Air 2, Clr 3, Drd 3, Rgr 2, Sor/Wiz 3
Components: V, S, M/DF
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Effect: Wall up to 10 ft./level long and 5 ft./level high (S)
Duration: 1 round/level
Saving Throw: None; see text
Spell Resistance: Yes
An invisible vertical curtain of wind appears. It is 2 feet thick and of considerable strength. It is a roaring blast sufficient to blow away any bird smaller than an eagle, or tear papers and similar materials from unsuspecting hands. (A Reflex save allows a creature to maintain its grasp on an object.) Tiny and Small flying creatures cannot pass through the barrier. Loose materials and cloth garments fly upward when caught in a wind wall. Arrows and bolts are deflected upward and miss, while any other normal ranged weapon passing through the wall has a 30% miss chance. (A giant-thrown boulder, a siege engine projectile, and other massive ranged weapons are not affected.) Gases, most gaseous breath weapons, and creatures in gaseous form cannot pass through the wall (although it is no barrier to incorporeal creatures).
While the wall must be vertical, you can shape it in any continuous path along the ground that you like. It is possible to create cylindrical or square wind walls to enclose specific points.
Arcane Material Component: A tiny fan and a feather of exotic origin.

Serpentine
2010-04-14, 08:21 AM
Hm... Personally, I'd count it as a strong gust, but only within the boundaries of the Wall.

FMArthur
2010-04-14, 08:28 AM
I would rule that Wind Wall removes fog effects within the spaces it's placed, since it's strong enough to deflect projectiles. Realistically, most of any nearby fog's AOE should be sucked up from the bottom of the wind wall and dispersed, but that goes a little too far beyond its specific effects to use IMO.

stenver
2010-04-14, 08:53 AM
Thank you very much

pffh
2010-04-14, 08:53 AM
Well 50mph fits in the 11+ mph catagory :smallbiggrin:

(Of course it also fits in the 21+mph catagory)