PDA

View Full Version : Awesome name for a battle

oxinabox
2010-04-14, 08:28 AM
Ok I need an awesome name for a battle.
or more a landing.
Background (stupidly detailed)

This battle, was the start of a war unlike any the particpating countries had ever seen before (including world war 1 and 2). but is small scale compaied to some wars happening. (there is a country that is Annexing over 100 squ km per day around this stage)
County A looses almost all its land due to a massive (>50m)sudden rais in sea leval.
Country B is an on a large island, the other half of wich is one of the many many teritories A had before the sea leval rise. Country B is a third world nation.
Country C was a Huge Island Nation, wich ends up broken into many large (and small) islands by raisign sea levels. it has a small number of troups in in Country B, providing humanitarian aid.

Now A invades B. C relises that B is a absolutly perfect staging point for A to invade it, and also is enraged by the attacks on it's humanitain reservists.

C happens to have 1 regiment (=4 companies =400 troups +100 support) of commandos. and it's only anfibios assult vessal free at this time.
These guy are really not needed to for clean up - C has most of it's army working on that, and this regiment has much much more combat exprience than anyone else in the army. and C only has the one vessal ready for immediate deployment.

So this One AAV and the Cdo regment, launch a counter invassion. Against the much larger (but far less well equipt or trained) force of A.
(stange coincience as they did this like 60 years before in WW2, same island even, different enemy though)
So they end up having to hold out almost on there own for ~12-18 months.
about 2-3 months in a regiment of paratroopers is dropped in.

10 months later the air force turns up, with there "Special" "infitration" regiment who are dropped and basically make A's side of the island it previosly shared with B all go to hell. (the air force had been facing a similar situation with A on another island, but they may have withdrawn as all they were protecting was an airbase, not the "stratigic Gateway to C")

<1 month after the lauch of the counter invasion, in Country C the "Defend the Homeland" rucuits start turning up, B lost 70% or it's population in the tidal wave/raising of see leval. but even still gets over 2.34 million applications for enlistments (thats 30% of the remaining pop), with is an inconvable number for it (it's total military forces at time of war start were 50 thousand))

after 12-18 months the two new Amphbous aussult vestel are done (they were started 12 moths before the sea level rise). One is sent with the country's other commando regiment (who finally managed to find all there reservists). the other with standard light infantry, whoes numbers a boosted by the rucruits. they continue farrying the infanty and recruits until war end.
The orignal AAV couldn't do it cos it was beached (possibly during this fist landing) to provide shelter and act as a HQ on aleast one occation and it was never designed to take counter fire (and was supposed to be replaced by the two new ships)).

So by the time the reinforcemnts arrive the original Cdo regiment and AAV have been through hell and back, and then straight back into hell again.
They are pretty much destroyed, the Regiment is removed from the Order of Battle and it's surviving member tranfered. A large number of them end up in the navy in then end (post war the army almost stops doing infantry regiments, due to the land mass gone - land infantry becomes the Navy's roll, and Amphobios Assualt becomes the everything)

In the end Country A actually stops existing, it's people are refugee's - haing next to no land.
It military is broken on this and one it's many other fronts.
The reminants are absorbed into to a International Force that goes around and crushs most of the wars around the world, the enforces that peace.

Really that backgound is was massive long, don't feel pressured to read it.
important stuff:
This is a Counter invasion.
It's an Anphibios Assualt beach landing.
it may or may not have actually hit resistance on the level of Suvla Bay (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landing_at_Suvla_Bay). It certainly was more successful.
It was the start of a war like none before.
But it was one massive war amount a million.
(it was special for the countries involved though)

So what should the battle be named? or the Landing?
I need a fare few awesome names for battles through out that war actually.

I'm thinking things along the line of:
"The Silent Night"
"the Dawn assult"
"The Day of the Red Waters"
"the Hot Night"
"The First Landing"

Please blod names

Ranis
2010-04-14, 08:38 AM
The Day of Falling Red Stars.

The Battle of Tears.

The Day of Infinite Justice.

The Battle of Bleeding Hearts.

The Battle of Baydon Hill (cudos if you get the reference :P)

Furnok
2010-04-14, 08:46 AM
Operation Trident Fury

S4V4X4NDER
2010-04-14, 10:29 AM
Second Battle of (island name)

Second Landing of (island name)

Dawn of the New Age

Battle of the Bleeding Sand

Operation Death Scythe

FoE
2010-04-14, 10:30 AM
The Day Lots of Things Blew Up

AtwasAwamps
2010-04-14, 10:36 AM
Red Tide
Red Morning
Blood Dawn
Battle of Boiling Water
Battle of Bloody Water

Dust
2010-04-14, 10:38 AM
Battle of the Bleeding Sand
I love this one for some reason.

Mauther
2010-04-14, 01:54 PM
I like the style behind both:

"Battle of the Bleeding Sand" posted by S4V4X4NDER
and
"The Day of the Red Waters" by the OP

Set
2010-04-14, 03:58 PM
I like the Bleeding Sands one also.

In that vein;

Red Tide Rising (the tide came in, sweeping the bodies of the fallen higher up the beach)

AslanCross
2010-04-14, 04:30 PM
I like the style behind both:

"Battle of the Bleeding Sand" posted by S4V4X4NDER
and
"The Day of the Red Waters" by the OP

One more vote for each of these.

Teddy
2010-04-14, 05:14 PM
I tend to like the codenames that were used for the different operations during WWII, like Barbarossa and Overlord. Sticking an "Operation" together with a single noun that somehow symbolizes the operation in a sometimes not slightly cryptic way may create some interesting ones. Note that I think that any name consisting of more than one word usually sounds too melodramatic to retain any level of seriousness.

Examples:

Operation Dagger (sometimes, a single dagger will strike more decicively than an entire army)

Operation Homeland (since that's what they're trying to protect with this operation)

Operation Phalanx (from the spear-wall formations developed by the Greeks during the Classical era, excellent for defence)

For good names for the single battle, well, the battle location tend to be a famous one that just works every time (unless your beach has a particullary awkward name, like "Cakewalk Beach"). Remember that the names of the battles tend to rely heavily on the likings mass, and the mass will use the name which is easiest to relate to that single battle, which usually is the location. Other names will have a too small relationship with the actuall battle, and will be to easy to confuse with other battles with similar names.

druid91
2010-04-14, 05:17 PM
The Battle of Baydon Hill[/B] (cudos if you get the reference :P)

Monty python right? This is the battle that sir robin wet himself at?

And Operation sugar coated iron fist for ridiculousness
the great battle for serious names

Acero
2010-04-14, 05:28 PM
The Rising Red Assault

The_JJ
2010-04-14, 05:36 PM
Stepping out of the box here...

The (Long/Red/Bloody/Dark) Holiday might be good if you want to emphasis the disconent between a beautiful beach and the warfare. Bonus points since it seems to mark the end of a 'happy' age. Also, Holiday implies a bit of a longer campaign than 'Day of X'

If you can really dictate the geography of the places, make an appropriate place name. Cakewalk Beach actually sounds good to me. Soldier's have always had a good dose of gallow's humor. People do remember Suvla Bay and Omaha Beach as much as they remember the actual 'Battle of Normandy' or 'D-Day' or whatever.

Brigham
2010-04-14, 05:39 PM
Operation Wet Willy
Operation Undertow/Riptide
The Long Tide
Project New Wave
Orca Undermining
Rogue Wave
Rouge Wave :smalltongue:

Teddy
2010-04-14, 05:43 PM
If you can really dictate the geography of the places, make an appropriate place name. Cakewalk Beach actually sounds good to me. Soldier's have always had a good dose of gallow's humor. People do remember Suvla Bay and Omaha Beach as much as they remember the actual 'Battle of Normandy' or 'D-Day' or whatever.

Yeah, I realized that the name was Ironic enough to actually be worth considering, but then I realized that it still was too ridiculous when I put it into a context (think about the newspaper headlines: "Breakthrough at Cakewalk Beach"). No, I think I'll keep it among the bad ideas.

Beholder1995
2010-04-14, 05:45 PM
Operation Phalanx (from the spear-wall formations developed by the Greeks during the Renessance era, excellent for defence)

As cool as I think that name is, I can't resist pointing out that the Greek Phalanx went out of fashion well over two thousand years ago. You may be thinking of European pike formations that were more or less developed during the Renaissance. My apologies for the nitpicking.

Also, I'm going to have to lend my support to Day of Bleeding Sand, because it conveys the image of a blood-soaked beach incredibly well.

Teddy
2010-04-14, 05:51 PM
As cool as I think that name is, I can't resist pointing out that the Greek Phalanx went out of fashion well over two thousand years ago. You may be thinking of European pike formations that were more or less developed during the Renaissance. My apologies for the nitpicking.

Arrgh, I got my eras jumbled. I intended to write "Classical era", but I accidently mixed them together (It doesn't help that they're both bordering to the Medieval era and that one of them is just trying to emulate the former). I'd better fix it.

Dr Bwaa
2010-04-14, 06:11 PM
Rouge Wave :smalltongue:

lol.

I've always liked (for serious, horrific battles) the naming convention of "The <verbal noun> of <location/thing/time>." For my favorite example, click here (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=2824)(flavor text) (because I can't name it on these boards).

so, things like
Ruin of <Country A>
Scourge of X
etc.

I also like the Holiday one from JJ.

Math_Mage
2010-04-14, 06:25 PM
Cobbling together bits from everything up to now:
Battle of the Crimson Tide

And another vote for Battle of the Bleeding Sand, from the ones already listed.

EDIT: I should mention that I like the idea of naming the battle after a red tide (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_tide#.22Red_Tides.22), hence the suggestion.

Sinfire Titan
2010-04-14, 06:26 PM
We need an Overly Long Name on this list. Not it!

Godskook
2010-04-14, 06:36 PM
In my experience, the importance of the battle tends to hold far more sway than the name of the battle.

Take the Bay of Pigs. Silly name, but almost everyone knows of it. Then there's Gettysburg, The Battle of Bull Run, D-Day, The Doolittle Raids, etc.

If anything, pick something that, at first glance, *DOESN'T* seem like a good battle name, and then link the name intrinsically with the battle somehow.

Foryn Gilnith
2010-04-14, 07:03 PM
"The First Landing"
I thought this rather appropriate.

Loren
2010-04-14, 08:08 PM
Gallipoli
Dieppe
Normandy

Battles that become commonly spoken of get shortened to their place names because people want to use long, romantic names everytime they want to talk about that earth shattering event.

Graymayre
2010-04-14, 08:14 PM
-=Jericho=-

Dr Bwaa
2010-04-14, 08:46 PM
Gallipoli
Dieppe
Normandy

Battles that become commonly spoken of get shortened to their place names.

I agree*. The problem is communicating the scale and import to the players without an epic name :smalltongue:

But in general, yes. Important wars/battles get shortened and are known to be important just by the fact that people know about them, not due to their names. The name doesn't hurt, though.

*The same thing happened in my example (because I am overwhelmed by the sheer weight of all the real things people are bringing up, and I will staunchly oppose this trend by talking about (very detailed) fiction as though it were history). That event was recalled just by saying "Argoth" afterwards (though of course, it also recalled certain other things that originated on that island (like an armageddon...)

oxinabox
2010-04-15, 06:57 AM
I like the idea of Second Landing Of X
Now i can just go though the previos landing names until i find one geographically appropiate.
Oh darn. All the previos fighting happened on the north side of the island.
Most of the fighting this time will be happening in the south. well the large scale naval war will be.
The land war?
It actually realy hard ot find a point where 400 soldiers stood a chance at not just being walked around.
(Still it was done in WW2, so it must be possible. then again in WW2 they had 10,000 of thousands of Soldiers.)
I had forgotten how big the island B is on is. (thoug after the sea leval rise, i might still get the mountain pass fights i was imagaining -and may actually be able to land near the mountains)
I think this changes the a battle schedual.
I thin the Cdo Regiment and AAV eastablieshed a beach head. Allowing the comventional non-recuit army to land in transports (possible repuposed cargo ships) - before moving inland to open the battle front. (while the convational army catches up, after beign given control of the beach head)
then the two other AAV's establesh two more Beach heads at other places

To make this easier, country B is Paupa New Guinea (but lets not break the real world politics rule)

The (Long/Red/Bloody/Dark) Holiday might be good if you want to emphasis the disconent between a beautiful beach and the warfare. Bonus points since it seems to mark the end of a 'happy' age. Also, Holiday implies a bit of a longer campaign than 'Day of X'
This battle (well actually the tidalwave and sea leval rise) marks the end of the modern era (it happens in 2011).
And welcome to post apoliptica.

My submissions:
the Operation where the "Special" inflitation air regiment is landed on the west side of the island (to make life hell and cause general compete chao) is going to be:
Operation HotSand
or maybe
Operation JungleHeat
Operation HotS

Teddy
2010-04-15, 07:11 AM
It actually realy hard ot find a point where 400 soldiers stood a chance at not just being walked around.

What was the precise goal of the landing? Was their mission to block Country A's ability to launch an amfibious invasion against Country C? If that was the case, then it should be enough to just secure and hold all the ports large enough to harbour the transport vessels. If you limit the number of operable ports, then it should be relatively easy to prevent any efforts to stage a large scale amfibious invasion.

oxinabox
2010-04-15, 07:38 AM
What was the precise goal of the landing? Was their mission to block Country A's ability to launch an amfibious invasion against Country C?
Yeah that's the primairy.

If that was the case, then it should be enough to just secure and hold all the ports large enough to harbour the transport vessels. If you limit the number of operable ports, then it should be relatively easy to prevent any efforts to stage a large scale amfibious invasion.
I've asked the GM for a map post sea leval rise. depending on how much the land has srunk (maybe as low as 1/5 it's original size- I may actually have an ampios assult on a mountain pass)
All current ports are likly underwater now.
Hmm

(i'm actually a player this time - but my character has a extensive miltary background. and the GM is basically saying i can have the war however I want. I'm making this part of the setting)

Kaiyanwang
2010-04-15, 07:52 AM
And another vote for Battle of the Bleeding Sand, from the ones already listed.

Yet another vote for this.

Killer Angel
2010-04-15, 07:57 AM

I think the Bleeding Sands won the day...

cssmythe3
2010-04-15, 09:21 AM
One thing that often falls by the wayside - different sides may name the battle differently. 'The victor writes the history books' doesn't always apply.

Ask any Argentine about the Falklands War and he'll shake his head and say it was the Malvinas War.

So the victorious side might have an entirely different name than the loser...

drengnikrafe
2010-04-15, 10:09 AM
The day upon which there would be much hassle and bloodshed for all sides of conflict in a battle that basically caused everyone to be sad, but was important to the plot anyway. Battle.

Sereg
2010-04-15, 10:49 AM
We need an Overly Long Name on this list. Not it!

The Mighty Battle upon the Unforgiving Sands which Stretched forth to form a Shore of Endless Corpses when the Sweat-mixed Blood would Rain upon the Silt which Many a Body Fell upon only to Cake the many Vicious Wounds and Tear-filled Eyes where many Jagged Scars and Darkened Bruises where Richly Earned as Grisly Mementoes even among the Victorious whom were not Slain and which Heralded a Global War unlike any which had Previously been Seen and which shall never be Forgotten.

Ok. I just threw that together. I must admit, that I'm also partial to Bleeding Sands.

Math_Mage
2010-04-16, 05:25 AM

Ouch. You quote me, skip over the name I made, and support the name I didn't make. :smallamused:

oxinabox
2010-04-16, 10:06 AM
I think i might go with
the First Landing
/
the Pegunugan Maoke Landing - yes that is a mountain range

Mostyly because they don't sound Fantastic.

Kaiyanwang
2010-04-16, 11:51 AM
Ouch. You quote me, skip over the name I made, and support the name I didn't make. :smallamused:

Italian Style.

oxinabox
2010-04-16, 06:57 PM
part of the reason I'm not going for some of hte more blood soaked names "BAttle of the Bleeding Sands"
is cos, welll I need these 400 soldiers to last another 12-18 months.
and they already are very low on man power.