PDA

View Full Version : I Beat The System

Silly Wizard
2010-04-14, 08:47 AM
So, I attend Appalachian State University. I woke up around 8:50, and my first class starts at 9am. I decided to put on deodorant, brush my teeth, and ran to class. I feel like I beat the system by going to class in my pajamas.

(For those that don't understand, click here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14Kv-KYpD10)

Does anyone else have some memorable moments on when they feel like they beat the system (or a commercial, either one)?

Kobold-Bard
2010-04-14, 10:17 AM
So, I attend Appalachian State University. I woke up around 8:50, and my first class starts at 9am. I decided to put on deodorant, brush my teeth, and ran to class. I feel like I beat the system by going to class in my pajamas.

(For those that don't understand, click here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14Kv-KYpD10)

Does anyone else have some memorable moments on when they feel like they beat the system (or a commercial, either one)?

People turn up to my uni in their pjs all the time. I've seen people sleep in the library for all nighters, duvet, pillows, hot water bottle, the lot.

I beat the system today, again in uni. I didn't submit the work for a module, having to resit it now. However because I'm resitting instead of doing a presentation (the thing I didn't want to do the first time around) I get to right a little essay instead.

I claim victory.

The Extinguisher
2010-04-14, 10:19 AM
I'm not allowed to show up to uni in my pajamas anymore. Apparently this school has some sort of "rule" against it.

Although that could be because I don't wear pajamas.

Sliver
2010-04-14, 10:33 AM
I'm not allowed to show up to uni in my pajamas anymore. Apparently this school has some sort of "rule" against it.

Although that could be because I don't wear pajamas.

Does that mean you came naked to the uni once? :smallconfused:

Mauve Shirt
2010-04-14, 10:48 AM
We had a pajama day at my high school, and like 3 guys wore signs that said "I sleep in the nude".

Ikialev
2010-04-14, 11:57 AM
What she wears does not look like pajamas at all.

arguskos
2010-04-14, 12:15 PM
I've shown up to class in pjs. Big deal. I've also shown up in a full RenFest outfit a few times (complete with sword). :smallamused:

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2010-04-14, 12:36 PM
Yeah, going to class in pajamas is no big deal in college. I wet to Ohio State, and I'd be willing to be there was someone in pajamas in just about every general/large class I was ever in. Heck I even had a friend who went to class in a robe one day.

Raiki
2010-04-14, 12:38 PM
I've shown up to class in pjs. Big deal. I've also shown up in a full RenFest outfit a few times (complete with sword). :smallamused:

You sire, win.

/thread

~R~

ClockShock
2010-04-14, 01:04 PM
People turn up to my uni in their pjs all the time. I've seen people sleep in the library for all nighters, duvet, pillows, hot water bottle, the lot.

They won't let us sleep in our library :(

Kobold-Bard
2010-04-14, 01:10 PM
They won't let us sleep in our library :(

Our library's open 24/7, you can go there any time for (basically) as long as you like. As long as you bring no alcohol or hot food and have a student id card if the security ask for it then you're fine.

arguskos
2010-04-14, 01:13 PM
You sire, win.

/thread

~R~
I was complimented on my attire by a campus cop. I, in fact, won at life, for one afternoon.

Mystic Muse
2010-04-14, 03:28 PM

That's what he seems to be implying.

Starscream
2010-04-14, 03:38 PM
Yeah, going to class in pajamas is no big deal in college. I wet to Ohio State, and I'd be willing to be there was someone in pajamas in just about every general/large class I was ever in. Heck I even had a friend who went to class in a robe one day.

I went to OSU as well. For some of the early morning classes, PJs seemed to be the rule rather than the exception. Especially true at the computer labs. We programming nerds are generally not morning people, count yourself lucky we were wearing clothes at all.

Incidentally, once in my sophomore year an attractive girl showed up to a class wearing a full Starfleet uniform. When asked why she said that she was doing her laundry, and most of her clothes were dirty. It was either this or something that didn't match. Wonder how many marriage proposals she got by the end of the day.

ClockShock
2010-04-14, 04:17 PM
Our library's open 24/7, you can go there any time for (basically) as long as you like. As long as you bring no alcohol or hot food and have a student id card if the security ask for it then you're fine.

Ours is 24/7 (excepting the summer holiday) but they don't look too kindly on people falling asleep in there.

Thursday
2010-04-14, 04:32 PM
Yeah, showed up in PJs a couple times..
Pulled a jumper over the top though.. and probably some trousers and boots.

Anyway.. the point is a few years after graduating I got to know the lecturer who gave that course pretty well on a climbing expedition (definitely get to know the guy holding your rope!) and we were talking about this. He said he hadn't noticed, but that he would have been pretty merciless if he had.. Knowing him I believe this.

Not sure the professors appreciate it.

RandomNPC
2010-04-14, 07:03 PM
I knew a guy in high school who showed up in PJs regularly, even wore slippers a few times. The day he wore a robe they suspended him for impropper attire.

I'll wear PJs if someone sends me on a fast food run, but my PJs tend to be a day old t-shirt and something thats not jeans.

The Extinguisher
2010-04-14, 10:31 PM

I admit nothing :smallwink:

arguskos
2010-04-14, 11:56 PM
Not sure the professors appreciate it.
Eh, I've had profs show up in t-shirts, pjs, a tank top, a wife-beater, whatever. Man, one time, a prof showed up in a CLOWN SUIT (business prof, btw). Most profs I know were all "meh, whatever guys, just be here".

Rutskarn
2010-04-15, 12:18 AM
One day, I went to all of my classes wearing nothing but an albatross.

Kobold-Bard
2010-04-15, 12:38 AM
One day, I went to all of my classes wearing nothing but an albatross.

Is albatross some kind of crazy street lingo I don't understand, or did you actually turn up wearing an albatross?

Back on topic (beating the system): my cousin has discovered that due to a glitch in the council systems he is entitled to two votes. This means he has 100% more power over who his MP is than anyone else in the country (barring other glitches in the system).

Now admittedly 200% of nothing is still nothing, but it's the principle damn it.

Edit: Since you asked for adverts too, here's a dancing & singing dodo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQIOHJxqAUc) that I'm particularly fond of.

SephlidJam
2010-04-15, 12:38 AM
Let's see here... what have I worn to class...

I generally go around (like once a month) in pajamas and a bath robe (and a towel, of course), and occasionally full cosplay (Kisuke from Bleach, for the curious). I need to get a tailcoat, but I've got dress slacks, a top hat and a dress shirt that I've worn around before.

But, yeah. I try to mix stuff up... if I had more random stuff, I'd wear it to class... but I don't. And it makes me sad.

Rutskarn
2010-04-15, 12:41 AM
Is albatross some kind of crazy street lingo I don't understand, or did you actually turn up wearing an albatross?

Yeah, just straight-up wore a live albatross, exclusively.

Well, it was a live albatross when I started, anyway.

Kobold-Bard
2010-04-15, 12:44 AM
Yeah, just straight-up wore a live albatross, exclusively.

Well, it was a live albatross when I started, anyway.

Awesome. Not for the albatross obviously, but seeing a classmate turn up wearing a bird would certainly brighten my day up.

arguskos
2010-04-15, 12:47 AM
It'd be... feathery. Gives a whole new meaning to the phrase "get down". :smallcool:

AngelSword
2010-04-15, 03:27 AM
Meh, most of my classes thus far have been post-noon time frame, so I tend to see the other students in, "just got out of work" attire.

Thursday
2010-04-15, 04:30 AM
Eh, I've had profs show up in t-shirts, pjs, a tank top, a wife-beater, whatever. Man, one time, a prof showed up in a CLOWN SUIT (business prof, btw). Most profs I know were all "meh, whatever guys, just be here".

I... Haven't. Your life experiences may vary.

Even the Properly crazy ones, of which we had our fair share, and some cool guys who were great fun, all manged to dress themselves properly.
Probably means their husband/wife/partner was sorting them out in the mornings in many cases, but still. I do concede there were some 'questionable' fashion choices however.

Amiel
2010-04-15, 06:26 AM
They totally need to have a "Wear your Pjyamas to Uni and/or School Day"; the obvious excuse is to raise money for charity; however, it really should be to benefit a charity.

Have sausage sizzles, eating competitions, fun activities on the day. Imagine a lecture theatre full of students in pjyamas; the lecturers' mind will be blown.

Incidently, our uni library is only open until 10 and only until 6 on Friday; it's totally lame.

arguskos
2010-04-15, 12:15 PM
I... Haven't. Your life experiences may vary.
You could say that my life experiences vary, indeed. :smallamused:

Shas aia Toriia
2010-04-15, 07:22 PM
I haven't had any of this awesome life variation. The craziest thing I ever showed up to a class in was shorts and a t-shirt in the middle of the winter.

skywalker
2010-04-15, 08:27 PM
Incidently, our uni library is only open until 10 and only until 6 on Friday; it's totally lame.

I don't think our library is open until 10. At least, that seems to be what most underclassmen seem to think. Literally, the most people I've ever seen in the library (besides the flash mob rave during finals one year) was at about 12:15 AM. The place is practically vacant in the afternoon/early evening.

There's a certain class of student that do not see life the way the rest of us do. I heard a girl talking a couple nights ago about how she was going to go to her dorm and sleep for an hour, and then study until her class at 8. This was at the aforementioned 12:15 AM. It seems that for her, class is the only absolute, and all the other hours are interchangeable.

Funny clothes? I had a buddy show up wearing a tuxedo shirt and bow-tie under a black suit. Not a tux, but a black suit. I was... quite perplexed. I've seen girls show up in "PJs" all the time. That doesn't bother me, but the girls who have clearly spent a lot of time getting ready to come to class in PJs are funny. Seriously, if you've spent more than 5 minutes on your appearance and you're still wearing pants that say "Juicy" or anything else across the rear, I think you're doing it wrong.

Anasazi
2010-04-16, 04:40 AM
My college only allowed you to change your field once, but I found a loop-hole with the process and over the course of my years there I changed my degree 3 times.

:)

CMOTDibbler
2010-04-16, 10:58 AM

I had to do a presentation in my german RenFest outfit for my history class. I almost did the presentation in my german accent.

arguskos
2010-04-16, 11:31 AM
I had to do a presentation in my german RenFest outfit for my history class. I almost did the presentation in my german accent.
Eeeeeexcellent. /MrBurns :smallamused:

Kobold-Bard
2010-04-16, 11:37 AM
My college only allowed you to change your field once, but I found a loop-hole with the process and over the course of my years there I changed my degree 3 times.

:)

Any particular reason? Is that not expensive at all?

Moff Chumley
2010-04-16, 12:31 PM
I show up to my high school in a bath robe once in a while... :smallconfused:

Anasazi
2010-04-17, 03:28 AM
Any particular reason? Is that not expensive at all?

think Ivy League pricing. it came down to me not making up my mind.

Kobold-Bard
2010-04-17, 03:36 AM
think Ivy League pricing. it came down to me not making up my mind.

I live in the UK, so have no idea what that first bit means.

Anasazi
2010-04-17, 03:40 AM
Sorry, typical American arrogance made me assume... lol
here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivy_League)