PDA

View Full Version : Premades and Characterization.

vp21ct
2010-04-14, 10:20 AM
So, I've talked to my players and they have agreed to me making premade characters. Now here's the thing, I tend to run a (semi) serious game when it comes to RP, and I like to include alot of Roleplaying opportunities.

The problem, of course, is where the characterization comes from. Without outright writing a story for the character, I strikes me as being somewhat hard to give them pure characterization. I have succeeded somewhat by using flaws (wich conveniently also allows me to give the characters even more feats) but I can't shake the fealing that my players may not enjoy the game if all of their character comes from penalties.

Any help to be offered?

Deme
2010-04-14, 10:35 AM
I think there's a difference between premade crunch and premade fluff. I don't think premade fluff will do much for roleplay, it may even hurt it, since roleplay, to me, comes from a person directly, and it will never be right if the player isn't interested in the character -- and inerest takes a lot of different, often inexplicable, forms. I think the best ideas I've heard for premade fluff is, for each character, create a number of basic fluff/roleplay hook archetypes, and allow the player to pick one that that person feels they would be able to have the most fun playing, and be able to do the most with.

Ernir
2010-04-14, 10:40 AM
There is a school of thought that involves "separating fluff from crunch". That is, the way you RP your character does not have to have much to do with the way the numbers are written on your character sheet. If you think about it like that, the problem of the sheets not having a personality is kind of the norm. :smalltongue:

Don't worry, if your players are serious RPers, it shouldn't take them long to come up characters for their characters. :smallsmile: