PDA

View Full Version : Revenging Feats (Or: An Arm for an Eye, a Lung for a Tooth)

flabort
2010-04-14, 10:32 AM
Please PEACH. I'm desperate.

Edit: REALLY desperate

Vengeful Banshee
Prerequisites: +2 BaB
Effect: If you have been hit by a critical hit in the previous round, you may use a 1d10+1d6+4, or 1d15+5 if availible, in place of a d20 for your attack rolls. does not apply to magical attacks and effects.

Greater Vengeful Banshee
Prerequisites: +4 BaB, Vengefull Banshee
Effect: If you have been hit by a critical hit in the previous round, you may use a 1d10+10 in place of a d20 for your attack roll. does not apply to magical attacks and effects.

Improved Vengeful Banshee
Prerequisites: Vengefull Banshee, Combat reflexes
Effect: the effects of Vengefull Banshee come into play if you have been hit at all in the previous round. does not apply to magical attacks and effects.

Improved Greater Vengeful Banshee
Prerequisites: Improved Vengefull Banshee, Greater Vengefull banshee
Effect: the effects of Greater Vengefull Banshee come into play if you have been hit at all in the previous round. does not apply to magical attacks and effects.

Advanced Vengeful Banshee
Prerequisites: Greater Vengefull Banshee, Dex 13
Effect: if an ally friendly towards you recieves a critical hit the previous round, you may use 1d10+1d6+4, or 1d15+5 if availible, in place of a d20 for your attack rolls. does not apply to magical attacks and effects.

Improved Advanced Vengeful Banshee
Prerequisites: Advanced Vengefull Banshee, Improved Vengefull banshee
Effect: if an ally friendly towards you recieves any hits the previous round, you may use 1d10+1d6+4, or 1d15+5 if availible, in place of a d20 for your attack rolls. does not stack with advanced vengefull banshee. does not apply to magical attacks and effects.

Payback
Prerequisites: combat reflexes
Effect: for each attack towards you the round previous, you gain a +1 moral bonus to attack. for each +7 acumulated this way, you get to make an extra attack or move action.

Avenging rage
Prerequisites: one or more allies friendly towards you, +3 BaB
Effect: if one or more allies friendly towards you falls below 0 HP, you enter a rage as a barbarian with a level equal to half your hitdice. you do not become exausted afterwards. if the ally is brought back above 0 HP, the rage ends prematurely. this is usable twice per day. does not allow for prestige classes.

avenging saint
Prerequisites: Avenging rage, ability to cast cleric spells
Effect: you may prepare a second list of cleric spells each day, at a quarter of your actuall level. if you enter an avenging rage from an ally falling below 0 HP, you may cast from this list while in the rage. if the rage ends from the ally recovering, your access is cut short

Dying Blow
Effect: if you fall below 0 HP, you may immediately make an attack against the nearest target as a free action, but you cannot stabilize if you make this attack.

Restabilize
Prerequisites: 13 Con, +3 BaB
Effect: if you fail to stabilize when you fall below 0 HP, you get a second attempt to stabilize the next round. if you were denide an attempt to stabilize, you may get an attempt to stabilize the next round. you do not get any more attempts beyond this extra attempt.
Special: If you take this feat multiple times, you may get further attempts to stabilize in further rounds.

Striken gaurdian
Effect: If an adjacent ally is attacked, you may make an Attack of Oppertunity against the attacker, if he is in range.

Bull in a China Shop
Prerequisites: Power Attack, Combat reflexes
Effect: the range of the squares that you threaten increases to the range of your charge for the purposes of this feat. you may charge any target, as an AoO, who you would be able to make an AoO upon with your increased threat range. however, it is at a -4 to both your attack roll and AC, and may not take a standard action on your next turn, or make any more AoOs this round. your threat range is not increased for any other purposes, such as normal AoOs. you can provoke AoOs with this AoO.

Sundering limbs
Prerequisites: Str 13, Improved Sunder
Effect: If you successfully hit an opponent with a critical hit who has hit you in the previous round, you may, instead of dealing any damage, make a sunder attempt on one of his four limbs: left leg, right leg, left arm, right arm. you make the attempt as if you were attempting to sunder a two-handed weapon of one size cattegory smaller than the opponent, wielded by the opponent, With an AC equal to the opponents AC, at a hardness of 7, and HP of 5. if you successfully deal damage to the limb, you deal half this same damage to the opponent, and his limb falls to the ground. a DC 18 heal check may reatach it. if you deal enough damage to bring the limb to 0 HP, it takes a DC 32 heal check to reatach it. if all the opponents limbs have been removed, he automaticly falls to -1 HP. for each limb missing, the opponent takes a -2 to Dex, and -1 to Str.

Open Window
Effect: you may chose to double the critical threat range of attacks against you for one round, in exchange for tripling the threat range of one attack that round.

Flickerdart
2010-04-14, 11:13 AM
Hit Dice aren't a good balancing point for feats. Keep it at BAB, stats or skill ranks.

Riffington
2010-04-14, 11:35 AM
Not sure why HD aren't a good balancing factor, but the books seem to avoid them. Doesn't matter - I don't think any of these require prereqs.

Vengefull Banshee

Quite weak. Just make the benefit "+6 morale bonus to hit that opponent".

Greater Vengefull Banshee

This is so situational, you surely don't want to extend the tree.

Improved Vengefull Banshee
Prerequisites: Vengefull Banshee, Combat reflexes
That makes Vengeful banshee worth taking.

Payback
Sounds quite strong.
Maybe: for each attack made by an opponent against you in the prior round, you get a +1 morale bonus to hit that opponent this round.

Avenging rage
Prerequisites: Rage.
Effect: if one or more allies friendly towards you falls below 0 HP, you may immediately enter a rage, or reset the duration on an existing rage. This rage does not count towards your limit of rages per day.

avenging saint

Broken.

Dying Blow
Shouldn't need prereqs.

Restabilize
Prerequisites: 13 Con
You automatically restabilize when you reach -9 HP.

flabort
2010-04-14, 12:59 PM
I wanted it so that rage-less characters could get rage in situations. even a pallidin would fly off the handle if his closest friend was dying as a direct result of someone elses actions.

for the vengefull banshee series, I wanted it to improve a RANGE of rolls, so with normal, you can only roll 6-20, rather than 1-20 or 6-25, and for greater, a range of 11-20, rather than 1-20 or 11-30...
but moral bonus makes sense.

I'll change avenging saint, but is there a way I could do it better? a list at one quarter your cleric level for the rage? I set up avenging rage so that the saint would only be able to do a limited amount of actions if he tried healing his ally... since his rage ends prematurly if his ally regains enough HP to regain consiousness, and therefore his access to the secondary set of spells is cut short. and since rage reduces wisdom...

I'll remove the prereqs from dying blow, just thought it made sense. I'll remove the hitdie prereqs too, as BaB keeps it at those levels, too.

for payback, why should it be a bonus to attack towards the opponent who made that attack? if your up against a crowd of enemies, attacking once each, you should be able to attack any member of the crowd easier, from anger against them. I will alter it a little, though.

thanks for the promt replies, I REALLY apreciate it.

Riffington
2010-04-14, 02:34 PM
I wanted it so that rage-less characters could get rage in situations. even a pallidin would fly off the handle if his closest friend was dying as a direct result of someone elses actions.
Hrm, makes sense. But are you sure rage then rather than a different bonus? For instance, do you want to allow Paladins to enter PrCs that require the Rage ability?

for the vengefull banshee series, I wanted it to improve a RANGE of rolls, so with normal, you can only roll 6-20, rather than 1-20 or 6-25

It adds complexity; does it add a benefit? A 22 is only better than an 18 if the 18 would miss. So doing it your way weakens it in two situations:
*it's a little harder to use power attack.
*it's helpful for getting vengeance on low-AC opponents but useless against high-AC opponents.
Are either of those important to your vision of the feat?

I'll change avenging saint, but is there a way I could do it better? a list at one quarter your cleric level for the rage? I set up avenging rage so that the saint would only be able to do a limited amount of actions if he tried healing his ally... since his rage ends prematurly if his ally regains enough HP to regain consiousness, and therefore his access to the secondary set of spells is cut short. and since rage reduces wisdom...
What do you see him doing? Smiting enemies/healing his friend? Or summoning/flamestriking after giving his friend a Quickened Sanctuary (or teleport)? If the latter, not sure how I can help make this a non-broken feat. Even without the abusive out-of-combat use(beat up your friend, cast a bunch of spells, then heal him back up when you're done.)
If the former: maybe you could give him Lay on Hands and Smite [any alignment opposed to your own]?

for payback, why should it be a bonus to attack towards the opponent who made that attack?
No logical reason, just that it's too strong as written. Especially on a BBEG.

flabort
2010-04-15, 09:40 AM
Ooh, never thought of being accepted into PrCs with that. I'll add a disclamer of sorts.

Vengefull banshee is designed to eliminate poorer rolls. so, at first, 2-4, gone. better than being able to roll them. Yes, it's not actually meant for power attack, and I didn't see it as for use against high AC opponents, but mid-AC opponents that you can hit, but are having trouble hitting. I don't actually want rolls moddified ONLY by these feats to reach above 20...
Most rouges, assasins and such that would take this would have a high to-hit moddifier anyways.

i see the avenging saint leaning over his fallen comrades (to apply stabilization), then turning on those who fell them guns-ablazing. remember, it does take an ally falling below 0 to activate. should I add "cannot have any healing spells above first level"?

I don't see the BBEG having a room full of allys to hit you, but true. should I have the bonus extra attacks exchangeable for the moral bonus, so that to get extra attacks, your chance to hit goes down?

flabort
2010-04-16, 09:52 AM
Bump.

added "Advanced" and "Improved Advanced" vengefull banshee feats, and Striken Gaurdian.

by combining striken gaurdian and improved advanced vengefull banshee, you'll get an AoO against any target attacking an adjacent ally, at a +5 moral to unmodified attack rolls below 6. however, that burns 7 feats...

flabort
2010-04-17, 01:02 PM
if no one else posts, this is the last bump.

added Bull in a China Shop, and Sundering limbs. both are probably broken, so please PEACH.

Jack of Spades
2010-04-18, 12:51 AM
Vengefull Banshee

Greater Vengefull Banshee

Improved Vengefull Banshee

Improved Greater Vengefull Banshee

Advanced Vengefull Banshee

Improved Advanced Vengefull Banshee

Please, before I tear my own eyes out with a spork:
Vengeful.
Has.
Only.
One.
L.

Now to read this thing.

Bull in a China Shop
Prerequisites: Power Attack, Combat reflexes
Effect: the range of the squares that you threaten increases to the range of your charge for the purposes of this feat. you may charge any target, as an AoO, who you would be able to make an AoO upon with your increased threat range. however, it is at a -4 to both your attack roll and AC, and may not take a standard action on your next turn, or make any more AoOs this round. your threat range is not increased for any other purposes, such as normal AoOs. you can provoke AoOs with this AoO.

Seems to be okay, but needs better wording. Maybe sling about the words "Immediate action/interrupt" a bit. Maybe white out "Attack of Opportunity."
But then, that's just me :smallbiggrin:

Sundering limbs
Prerequisites: Str 13, Improved Sunder
Effect: If you successfully hit an opponent with a critical hit who has hit you in the previous round, you may, instead of dealing any damage, make a sunder attempt on one of his four limbs: left leg, right leg, left arm, right arm. you make the attempt as if you were attempting to sunder a two-handed weapon of one size cattegory smaller than the opponent, wielded by the opponent, With an AC equal to the opponents AC, at a hardness of 7, and HP of 5. if you successfully deal damage to the limb, you deal half this same damage to the opponent, and his limb falls to the ground. a DC 18 heal check may reatach it. if you deal enough damage to bring the limb to 0 HP, it takes a DC 32 heal check to reatach it. if all the opponents limbs have been removed, he automaticly falls to -1 HP. for each limb missing, the opponent takes a -2 to Dex, and -1 to Str.

I applaud this as being the simplest attempt I've seen at something that has been tried several umpteen times.

Milskidasith
2010-04-18, 01:14 AM
For vengeful banshee, if you want to improve the range of valid rolls, how about doing something like this:

When you make an attack against an opponent who scored a critical hit against you last round, you roll a 1d10+1d6+5 for the attack, with your critical threat range being the same size, but at the highest numbers for the 1d10+1d6.

Greater Vengeful Banshee would be 1d10+10.

If you have online dice or a RNG, you could do 1d15 for the regular vengeful banshee.

That definitely improves the range of rolls without the complexity of having a 6 be better than a 1-11, or a 10 being better than an 11-19.

flabort
2010-04-18, 12:28 PM
@ Jack:
sorry about "vengefull" rather than "vengeful", my spell checker said 2 was correct. I am now reprogamming it with a very large axe.

how would you word "Bull in a China Shop"?

umpteen times? I've never seen... Ok, easy noob mistake to make. my appologies.

@Milskidasith:
so write something allong the lines of "if a critical hit has been scored against you in the previous round, you may use a 1d15+5, 1d10+1d6+4, or similar in place of a 1d20 for your attacks, effectively removing the numbers 1-5, and turning a 6 into a critical failure"? well, good, but I do like the "+5 moral bonus for unmodified rolls below 6", because it does almost the same thing. it's just double odds for 6-10, same odds for 11-20, and no odds for 1-5. or for "greater", double odds for 11-20 and no odds for 1-10.

Milskidasith
2010-04-18, 01:33 PM
@ Jack:
sorry about "vengefull" rather than "vengeful", my spell checker said 2 was correct. I am now reprogamming it with a very large axe.

how would you word "Bull in a China Shop"?

umpteen times? I've never seen... Ok, easy noob mistake to make. my appologies.

@Milskidasith:
so write something allong the lines of "if a critical hit has been scored against you in the previous round, you may use a 1d15+5, 1d10+1d6+4, or similar in place of a 1d20 for your attacks, effectively removing the numbers 1-5, and turning a 6 into a critical failure"? well, good, but I do like the "+5 moral bonus for unmodified rolls below 6", because it does almost the same thing. it's just double odds for 6-10, same odds for 11-20, and no odds for 1-5. or for "greater", double odds for 11-20 and no odds for 1-10.

No, yours doesn't do the same thing. Yours adds tedious math and causes an unintuitive system where low numbers are better than higher numbers. Mine is a simple "you roll a smaller die with a bonus attached" which makes a whole lot more sense; why would you hit more accurately because you swung badly?

Also, it's morale, not moral.

flabort
2010-04-18, 07:33 PM
Oh, for Pete's sake...
OK, I get it. replacing a range with a better range is not as good as removing it completely.
I don't see tedious math, because all you do is: oh, I rolled above/below 6, I just add my normal bonusses/add my normal bonusess +5 more.
It may be easier your way, and I may be wrong, but I'm going to stick with that for a bit. (common noob mistake, not to listen to others, but I'm going to risk it anyways)

Yes, your right, Morale, not moral. afterall, its not the thing you learn from a story. my mistake, again.

edit: Strike Two!

Milskidasith
2010-04-18, 08:45 PM
Oh, for Pete's sake...
OK, I get it. replacing a range with a better range is not as good as removing it completely.
I don't see tedious math, because all you do is: oh, I rolled above/below 6, I just add my normal bonusses/add my normal bonusess +5 more.
It may be easier your way, and I may be wrong, but I'm going to stick with that for a bit. (common noob mistake, not to listen to others, but I'm going to risk it anyways)

Yes, your right, Morale, not moral. afterall, its not the thing you learn from a story. my mistake, again.

Are you honestly trying to guilt trip me over the fact I'm criticizing your work? You have to understand, if you post something, it is going to be criticized, no matter what. Either that, or you're just complaining about the fact I don't agree with you, which gets the same response: Your work is going to be judged.

Anyway, tedious may not be the exact right word, but what I mean is the fact it introduces another check that was not there before. It adds an extra step to the game when it is not necessary to have one; it's extraneous math, that's the word I'm looking for. My way, while a more powerful feat (and trust me, the current feats are not powerful at all; two feats for a situational +5, or four feats for a situational +10, in situations where the +5/+10 are less useful than normal, is barely better than weapon focus), is simpler.

Yes, my way is simpler.

If you want to ignore advice, and even decide to do a mea culpa "you're right, but I'm ignoring you" throwaway line, then why are you even posting on the homebrew boards? I could just be being sensitive here, but when you say things like "for pete's sake" and "You're probably right, but I'm going to do it my way," it seems like you are intentionally trying to be disrespectful and don't want to take any criticism of your work.

flabort
2010-04-19, 01:16 PM
no, i'm guilt tripping myself. I should have expected it was that bad. I knew it was bad. just not THAT bad.
I'm sorry, I just didn't see the logic through.

I thank you for explaining, and I think I will change it. but, I just thought the extra dice.... never mind. you are right, i'm wrong, I need to change it.

I was not trying to be disrespectfull, so sorry if any disrespect was delivered.

although backpedaling may be disrespectfull too, so I should just shut my yap and let you proffesionals take over.

Kuma Kode
2010-04-19, 02:07 PM
Maybe have Vengeful Banshee allow you to roll two d20s, and take the highest one?

Just an alternative idea.