PDA

View Full Version : [Any] Wasted Rolls...

Aron Times
2010-04-14, 11:32 AM
I am playing a level 11 half-orc swordmage in an all-arcane party when we encounter a balhannoth (I recognize the monster but my character does not). Not one, but three of them! Looks like this is going to be a tough fight.

I use Amathor's Step to teleport behind one and use Double Aegis to mark it and the one next to it. I then follow up with Burning Blade, which results in a critical hit. As an added bonus, all of my melee attacks deal 5 extra fire damage until the end of the encounter. My character's actions bring to mind Yamamoto from Bleach flash stepping behind his opponent and incinerating him with his zanpakuto.

Nice! :smallsmile:

I looked at the battle map later that day and noticed that I could scroll it horizontally. Upon doing so, I learned that what I thought were three monsters were actually three desks. Basically, I just incinerated a desk! :smalleek:

Fortunately, my DM let me take back my action so I wouldn't lose a daily for destroying a piece of furniture. Since the monster was actually invisible in the first round, we just retconned my character's action into readying an attack in case the monster came out of hiding. On my next turn, I repeat my aborted first turn actions and spend an action point to add another attack. I rolled a 6 on my Burning Blade attack roll, for a total of 26 (unlikely to hit), and a natural 1 on my Greenflame Blade.

DAMN. :smallfrown:

What do you think?

Weimann
2010-04-14, 11:44 AM
Tough luck :smallfrown:

Milskidasith
2010-04-14, 11:44 AM
How do you mistake furniture for a monster? I mean, how does that even happen?

This seems less a case of wasted rolls, and more a case of... I don't even know what it is, bad map drawing, rushing into action, a lack of clarity on the DM's part, I really don't know.

Aron Times
2010-04-14, 11:51 AM
This was PbP, and the map was a spreadsheet that could be edited live. I didn't notice that you could scroll it to the right to see the legend, since I have a widescreen monitor and I rarely have to scroll horizontally when viewing stuff online.