PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] D&D versions of super heroes

dubiousmx
2010-04-14, 12:23 PM
Something of interest to me lately has been attempting to replicate popular superheroes in D&D. I've already built an Iron Man (Dwarf Fighter 1/Wizard 6/Runemage 5) and I'm currently working on a Green Lantern (Human Sorcerer 1/Wizard 4/ Ultimate Magus 7) but I was curious if others had other such builds they would like to share.

reptilecobra13
2010-04-14, 12:46 PM
Not really, but now I want to build the Green Arrow or Aquaman or the Flash.

Cog
2010-04-14, 12:51 PM
I know you said you're already working on a Green Lantern, but Shadowcraft Mage shenanigans sound like they'd be perfect for that.

dubiousmx
2010-04-14, 01:01 PM
@reptilecobra13

I've been thinking about a Flash character as well. Unfortunately you can't really get the near speed of light fastness that he has but you could get pretty damn fast. I saw somewhere a recommendation of monk, which makes sense with the speed boosts, but I'd think mixing in a sorcerer or something would also be a good addition.

@Cog

Not familiar with that class. Is it from Dragon Magic? Seem to remember something about it. Unfortunately I'm limited to the core books, the completes and the PH2. I'll have to check it out though.

Seatbelt
2010-04-14, 01:03 PM
D&D characters are already medieval super heroes. Just sayin'....

JohnnyCancer
2010-04-14, 01:05 PM
Not really, but now I want to build the Green Arrow or Aquaman or the Flash.

Flash= A Varag monk?

Eldonauran
2010-04-14, 01:08 PM
Flash= A Varag monk?

Uh, no. Monk/Swiftblade (haste, haste, haste, haste)

reptilecobra13
2010-04-14, 01:10 PM
Flash= A Varag monk?

Possibly.

In the case of making Iron Man, add the "Called Armor" enchantment from the MIC (+5,000 gp) and you can summon your armor onto your body as long as it is currently on the same plane you're on (standard action).

RagnaroksChosen
2010-04-14, 01:12 PM
Something of interest to me lately has been attempting to replicate popular superheroes in D&D. I've already built an Iron Man (Dwarf Fighter 1/Wizard 6/Runemage 5) and I'm currently working on a Green Lantern (Human Sorcerer 1/Wizard 4/ Ultimate Magus 7) but I was curious if others had other such builds they would like to share.

Iron man totaly has warlock levels. half of his abilities can be emulated with warlock.

Ossian
2010-04-14, 01:17 PM
So you are talking about actual supernatural abilities or all superheroes in general? (DC, Marvel...). Batman would be cool to see. I see a good start as Aristocrat (at least, he WAS part of the Gotham Aristocracy), to then go in Ranger/Monk with a feat of Ascetic Hunter to make them stack. I see some feats like superior unarmed strike,

Levels like:

Arist. 1/Rgr. 6 (Urban Varian!)/Monk 3 could work fine, and a boatload of money.
Aristocrat 1 could even be replaced by "Expert" (1 to 3 levels), given that Bruce is after all a very well educated man, with knowledge of history, chemistry, physics and electronics. Hard to translate in medieval settings, but possible.

And of course all ability scores way above the "elite array".

dubiousmx
@Eldonauran

OKay. I think swiftblade wins for the Flash. That prestige class seems tailor made for him.
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/prc/20070327

@reptilecobra13
Hah. That would be good. That covers his suitcase version of the suit. Mine was, as mentioned, a dwarf wizard runemage. Thsi allowed him to wear to the heaviest armour (mountain plate from Races of Stone, along with the prestige class) possible without spell failure. He just wore it all the time with the restful special ability from DMGII.

vp21ct
OH man, I totally want to do the Question. Probably Changeling Rogue 5/Master Inquisitive 5

dubiousmx
2010-04-14, 01:23 PM
@Ossian

Batman has been my holy grail in this endeavour as he would be hard to truly capture. But I hadn't considered using an NPC class like expert. That fits very nicely actually. Hadn't considered ranger though. Good choice for the two weapon fighting. I'd always thought monk/rogue. But I like the ranger.

@vp21ct
Oh, that is a nice idea. Very cool super hero that I always liked. Don't know Master Inquisitive but the name fits well. Don't forget smokebombs though.

~LuckyBoneDice~
2010-04-14, 01:25 PM
[QUOTE=dubiousmx;8295904]@Eldonauran

OKay. I think swiftblade wins for the Flash. That prestige class seems tailor made for him.
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/prc/20070327
QUOTE]

I also say he has every possible Initiative and speed increase feat/trait

vp21ct
2010-04-14, 01:29 PM
@vp21ct
Oh, that is a nice idea. Very cool super hero that I always liked. Don't know Master Inquisitive but the name fits well. Don't forget smokebombs though.

It's an Eberron Prestige class. They get spell like abilities and quite a few bonus feats that work briliantly. Add in their contacts system, and their perfect.

I'd recomend it for Batman too, but with him going more stealth to Question's diplomacy.

Eldonauran
2010-04-14, 01:34 PM
@Ossian

Batman has been my holy grail in this endeavour as he would be hard to truly capture. But I hadn't considered using an NPC class like expert. That fits very nicely actually. Hadn't considered ranger though. Good choice for the two weapon fighting. I'd always thought monk/rogue. But I like the ranger.

Wait, wait, wait ... wait.

What about Chameleon? If nothing else, a 2 level dip to get that floating feat. Batman is nothing if not adaptable.

vp21ct
2010-04-14, 01:37 PM
Oh no, Monk/Rogue/Master Inquisitive.

Trust me.

The way Batman works, investigate crime scene, contact Comissioner Gordon and find out what he knows, contact anyone else from there; works completely with the MI. Just read the class stuff (It's in 'Eberron Campaign Setting' book) and you'll see why.

dubiousmx
2010-04-14, 01:38 PM
Wait, wait, wait ... wait.

What about Chameleon? If nothing else, a 2 level dip to get that floating feat. Batman is nothing if not adaptable.

I remember the Chameleon though I forget exactly how they work. In the same vein though would be the Factotum base class from Dungeonscape. A combination of these two might work well. Something to look into.

dubiousmx
2010-04-14, 01:40 PM
Oh no, Monk/Rogue/Master Inquisitive.

Trust me.

The way Batman works, investigate crime scene, contact Comissioner Gordon and find out what he knows, contact anyone else from there; works completely with the MI. Just read the class stuff (It's in 'Eberron Campaign Setting' book) and you'll see why.

The question (so to speak) now is does the Master Inquisitive leave room for dangling people of the sides of buildings when diplomacy fails!

vp21ct
2010-04-14, 01:48 PM
They have intimidate as a class skill.

Eldonauran
2010-04-14, 01:49 PM
The question (so to speak) now is does the Master Inquisitive leave room for dangling people of the sides of buildings when diplomacy fails!

Chameleon does. Just switch your focus when you are done investigating (stealth) and go whip some butt (martial). Hell, use both if you are high enough level in chameleon. Arcane/Divine for the down time to make new gadgets and the floating feat to get that item crafting feat whenever you need it.

Lysander
2010-04-14, 01:56 PM
Dr. Manhattan - Divine Rank 6 Deity. Domains of Knowledge and Creation.

Eldariel
2010-04-14, 01:59 PM
Shneekey statted out The Hulk as a Strongheart Halfling (though Human works too) with Stoneblessed: Goliath and Barbarian for the Goliath racial sub "Mountain Rage". This, combined with Hulking Hurler and War Hulk generates a very, very believable Hulking Out as the Strength increases by ~30, size becomes Large, coherent speech becomes a difficulty and objects become convenient weapons.

Also one level of Frenzied Berserker to "Hulk Out" whenever damaged. The early levels are stuff like Human Paragon, Factotum, Monk and such; basically, lots of skill points, Knowledges and so on. 'cause he's a scientist. And the base Strength is very unimpressive, but that doesn't really matter with +6 Mountain Rage, +2 Reckless Rage, +20 War Hulk, +6 Frenzy and so on. The "tough hide" is a combination of DR and HP, though you could just take 4 levels of Frenzied Berserker for Deathless Frenzy or Deepwarden+FotF for Conx2 to AC.

Prime32
2010-04-14, 02:09 PM
Iron Man is an artificer. Green Lantern is, yeah, a shadowcraft mage.

Shneekey statted out The Hulk as a Strongheart Halfling (though Human works too) with Stoneblessed: Goliath and Barbarian for the Goliath racial sub "Mountain Rage". This, combined with Hulking Hurler and War Hulk generates a very, very believable Hulking Out as the Strength increases by ~30, size becomes Large, coherent speech becomes a difficulty and objects become convenient weapons.

Also one level of Frenzied Berserker to "Hulk Out" whenever damaged. The early levels are stuff like Human Paragon, Factotum, Monk and such; basically, lots of skill points, Knowledges and so on. 'cause he's a scientist. And the base Strength is very unimpressive, but that doesn't really matter with +6 Mountain Rage, +2 Reckless Rage, +20 War Hulk, +6 Frenzy and so on. The "tough hide" is a combination of DR and HP, though you could just take 4 levels of Frenzied Berserker for Deathless Frenzy or Deepwarden+FotF for Conx2 to AC.
See also this (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Pain_Mastery).

Set
2010-04-14, 03:53 PM
Wolverine could be an anthromorphic wolverine (savage species), shaved down and with the half-troll template (for regen). Class levels include Barbarian, Scout and Ranger, and he has a pair of (pre-nerf) adamantine Bladed Gauntlets that are +X Keen and Bane (ninja). The adamantine skeleton could be worked up as some sort of Graft that gives him heavy fortification or something by protecting his vital organs.

Cyclops is primarily a Warlock who blew all of his Invocations known on different blast invocations. He's got a custom item that has the properties of a Warlock's Sceptre (minus the +2 mace bit) and a Greater Chausible of Fell Power that occupies the face-slot (his visor). Apart from that, he's probably got 2 levels of Monk and 1 of Marshall.

vp21ct
2010-04-14, 04:01 PM
Wolverine could be an anthromorphic wolverine (savage species), shaved down and with the half-troll template (for regen). Class levels include Barbarian, Scout and Ranger, and he has a pair of (pre-nerf) adamantine Bladed Gauntlets that are +X Keen and Bane (ninja). The adamantine skeleton could be worked up as some sort of Graft that gives him heavy fortification or something by protecting his vital organs.

Cyclops is primarily a Warlock who blew all of his Invocations known on different blast invocations. He's got a custom item that has the properties of a Warlock's Sceptre (minus the +2 mace bit) and a Greater Chausible of Fell Power that occupies the face-slot (his visor). Apart from that, he's probably got 2 levels of Monk and 1 of Marshall.

Wolverine is TOTALLY a Shifter. Razorclaw first, then With Great Rending and Healing Factor to let him take Extra Shifter Trait and taking Wildhunt as well.

I freakin have the character if you want me to put it up.

Zach J.
2010-04-14, 04:05 PM
OH man, I totally want to do the Question. Probably Changeling Rogue 5/Master Inquisitive 5

:) I came into this thread hoping that someone would try to create the Question!

reptilecobra13
2010-04-14, 05:26 PM
Hmm...I'm now pondering a build for Nightcrawler and a way to make Gambit viable. I need to review my psionics...

jiriku
2010-04-14, 05:33 PM
Nightcrawler is done with swordsage/telflammar shadowlord.

Eldariel
2010-04-14, 05:43 PM
Nightcrawler is done with swordsage/telflammar shadowlord.

I prefer Ranger/Psion (Nomad)/Slayer/Anarchic Initiate.

Harperfan7
2010-04-14, 07:02 PM
Superman is Ilmater (LG god of suffering for others benefit, Monk 20/Paladin 20)

Prime32
2010-04-14, 07:15 PM
Superman is Ilmater (LG god of suffering for others benefit, Monk 20/Paladin 20)DR 50/magic or kryptonite?

Maybe something dragon-based? He has two breath weapons and can fly. Perhaps a multiclassed dragonfire adept with a Gorget of Tempest Breath.

mabriss lethe
2010-04-14, 07:24 PM
*if you wanted to create the Ironman warlock*
go with some crafting feats, add in binding feats from tome of magic to be able to summon up full plate on command via savnok and go from there.

Dr.Epic
2010-04-14, 07:26 PM
Hulk: obviously a Frenzied Berserker/ Bear Warrior that has a variation

deuxhero
2010-04-14, 07:33 PM
@reptilecobra13

I've been thinking about a Flash character as well. Unfortunately you can't really get the near speed of light fastness that he has but you could get pretty damn fast. I saw somewhere a recommendation of monk, which makes sense with the speed boosts, but I'd think mixing in a sorcerer or something would also be a good addition.

I advise you look up Chuck.

Basically he uses persist spell on Footsteps of the Divine then discharges it.

Tinydwarfman
2010-04-14, 07:55 PM
*if you wanted to create the Ironman warlock*
go with some crafting feats, add in binding feats from tome of magic to be able to summon up full plate on command via savnok and go from there.

Artificer is a MUCH better Iron Man than the Warlock. He is actually good at creating things all throughout his career, and specializes in magic items.

mabriss lethe
2010-04-14, 08:10 PM
Artificer is a MUCH better Iron Man than the Warlock. He is actually good at creating things all throughout his career, and specializes in magic items.

I agree with you, I'm just suggesting a possible configuration since it was mentioned earlier.

Jack_Simth
2010-04-14, 08:20 PM
Superman is Ilmater (LG god of suffering for others benefit, Monk 20/Paladin 20)
Actually, I always considered him a low-epic Elan Wilder with a recharge build, a couple of house-ruled augments for assorted powers (for faster flying, increased DR, and so on), and a couple of magic items refluffed into racial abilities (most notably a ring of x-ray vision). Name one thing he does that couldn't be covered that way, please.

Kryptonite is, depending on quality, an Anti-Psionic field with a slight anti-aberration damage aura, or a repeating Dispel Psionics effect with a slight anti-aberration damage aura.

Demons_eye
2010-04-14, 08:30 PM
Actually, I always considered him a low-epic Elan Wilder with a recharge build, a couple of house-ruled augments for assorted powers (for faster flying, increased DR, and so on), and a couple of magic items refluffed into racial abilities (most notably a ring of x-ray vision). Name one thing he does that couldn't be covered that way, please.

Kryptonite is, depending on quality, an Anti-Psionic field with a slight anti-aberration damage aura, or a repeating Dispel Psionics effect with a slight anti-aberration damage aura.

Super weaving?

Jack_Simth
2010-04-14, 08:33 PM
Super weaving?
Fabricate, Psionic. Alternately, ranks in Craft, and the Temporal Acceleration power.

El Dorado
2010-04-14, 08:33 PM
Scarlet Witch = Sorcerer 10/Wild Mage 10

Demons_eye
2010-04-14, 08:43 PM
Fabricate, Psionic. Alternately, ranks in Craft, and the Temporal Acceleration power.

Listing them from Wikipedia, sue me

Superhuman strength
Invulnerability
Fight
Superhuman speed
X-ray vision
Heat vision
Super breath
Super hearing
Superhuman vision
Superhuman Olfaction
Eidetic memory
Superhuman control of face muscles
Freezing/hurricane breath
Regeneration
Longevity

Also how would you do with Weakness: Magic. And weapon with a +1 could over come his DR.

Edit: Not trying to be a smart ass, really want to know how you would do it.

Jack_Simth
2010-04-14, 08:57 PM
Listing them from Wikipedia, sue me

Superhuman strength

He only pretends to be that strong. He actually uses Telekenisis. That's also how he picks things up by parts of them that could not support the weight of the rest of the object.

Invulnerability

Elan Resilience, Timeless Body, Inertial Armor, Biofeedback, or Vigor could all potentially cover this.

Fight

Overland Flight, Psionic (with a few custom augmentation effects to increase speed and maneuverability)

Superhuman speed

Temporal Acceleration, Psionic Lion's Charge, Hustle

X-ray vision

Ring of X-Ray vision, re-fluffed. Alternately, refluffed Hypercognition or Clairvoyant Sense.

Heat vision

Energy Missle or Energy Bolt.

Super breath

Energy Push, re-fluffed.

Super hearing
Superhuman vision
Superhuman Olfaction
Eidetic memory

Hypercognition (via Expanded Knowledge) covers all four.

Superhuman control of face muscles

??? Does he use this routinely? Anyway, there's a Shaper alternate class feature in one of the Mind's Eye articles on the WOTC website that does that (grants the Changling's Minor Shapechange), or there's also Metamorphosis.

Freezing/hurricane breath

Energy Push, Energy Missle, or Energy Bolt, depending on the situation.

Regeneration

True Metabolism, Body Adjustment

Longevity

Elans have a max age of N/A, and age very, very slowly.

Also how would you do with Weakness: Magic. And weapon with a +1 could over come his DR. Alternately, the magical weapons have a form of Dispel attached to them.

They don't overcome his DR directly - they just catch him when he's not at "dramatic buff" stage, and/or hit for enough damage to penetrate DR.

Edit: Not trying to be a smart ass, really want to know how you would do it.

Oh yes, and despite the limited powers known of the Wilder, he can do this - Bend Reality lets you duplicate Psychic Reformation as a standard action.

Or maybe he's a Psion, rather than a Wilder, but still...