PDA

View Full Version : Gnomes 100, Dragons 0

pendell
2010-04-14, 12:38 PM
I'm thinking of staging a Let's play of the aforementioned solo module, published for Dragonlance in the late 1980s. The backstory is as follows:

You are Rye, a brand-spanking-new baker, who has been swindled into leading the defense of Mount Nevermind against an invasion of the dragon armies.

Mount Nevermind is the home on Krynn of the Gnomes, an ingenious race of inventors who nonetheless can never get it quite right. "If it's good with two wheels, imagine how good it will be with eighty-four" is a common gnomish aphorism. Your 'army' consists of 53 gnomish assistants, all of whom have made the military their life quests. Unfortunately, they did not make military fighting their life quest. So they will be happy to carry around any stuff you find, and will follow you throughout the mountain. But they will not fight any monsters for you.

To assist you with this problem, the Gnomes have provided you with steam-powered Power Armor, which greatly improves your normal body's strength. It is quite possible for even a complete novice, such as yourself, to fight and defeat draconian soldiers. And make no mistake, a novice you are: You're a level-1 Expert. You have above average intelligence, steam-powered armor, and an army of porters, but you have no training in combat.

Your objective is to explore Mount Nevermind and assemble allies, artifacts, machines and magic. You will then lead this ragtag collection into battle against the invading armies of Takhisis, Queen of Darkness. The enemy 'dragonarmies' consist of Dragons, Draconians, Ogres, and their human allies. It is a single finger of the mightiest army Ansalon has seen in this age. And it will arrive in 20 days.

As I said, I'm gauging interest to see how many people would be interested in going through this module. Decisions will be made on majority vote, to be completed whenever the vote count >= X, to be determined later.

I'm also unsure of just how much of the module text I can paste without running afoul of copyright restrictions, so until someone gets me a more definitive ruling I shall content myself with paraphrasing the contents, as above.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Makensha
2010-04-14, 02:56 PM
It certainly sounds interesting. So it would work like a Let's Play but for the module?

pendell
2010-04-14, 03:23 PM
Precisely. A 'solo adventure module' is, in this case, essentially a 1250 paragraph choose-your-own adventure. Plus die rolls for combat, random events, and such. I will narrate and perform the die rolls; the decisions, however, will be made by a majority vote by the other readers of the thread.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Domochevsky
2010-04-14, 04:14 PM
Huh, sounds like it could be decent. :smallsmile:

Makensha
2010-04-14, 05:22 PM
I'm certainly all for it. Though if its 1250 pages, you probably should keep a spoiled "the story so far" on the first post detailing major events so there isn't such a huge amount of reading for those who are new to the thread and want to get to what's going on right now.

Irbis
2010-04-15, 05:27 AM
Sounds interesting! :smallsmile:

WillyFourEyes
2010-04-15, 05:53 AM
I'm certainly all for it. Though if its 1250 pages, you probably should keep a spoiled "the story so far" on the first post detailing major events so there isn't such a huge amount of reading for those who are new to the thread and want to get to what's going on right now.

1250 paragraphs, but yeah...that would be a good idea.

Robert Blackletter
2010-04-15, 06:37 AM
Sounds fun count me in

pendell
2010-04-15, 08:05 AM
Very well, gentles, I'll have it up tonight or tomorrow. It'll take awhile to get the initial post up, but hopefully once written the rest will happen quickly.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

pendell
2010-04-16, 09:50 PM
And .. we're off! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8312977&posted=1#post8312977). Feel free to join at any time.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

pendell
2010-04-19, 05:25 PM
Just a bump to remind that the game is open and in progress (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8312977&posted=1#post8312977). It is open to anyone to join at any time. Come in, stay awhile, try not to get killed by the steam-powered catapult.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Dori
2010-04-28, 08:49 PM
sounds really cool I'll jump in.