PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Making a Kobold (Insert non-caster here)

Touchy
2010-04-14, 02:59 PM
Before you say anything, yes I know this is sub-optimal.

I like kobold's as a race, they are so damn flavorful to me. I love roleplaying them, it's just fun for me. So I'd like to see how far I can go with a kobold fighter(read:Martial character), I want to try to play it like a kobold would, hit-and-run. Probably not effective but playing to kobold's strength's would be nice for RP, I just want to optimize it to a point of "can work with the average party, and reasonably be alright". Area variants are alright(Aka, instant desert/jungle kobold suggestion).

Sources, I usually use anything I can find online, mostly from the SRD, crystal keep, the guide to free dnd (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=1109.0), and a site that has all(?) the feats of 3.5, not sure if thats exactly legal or not(Will remove from post if illegal).

I'm thinking initially barbarian for the +10 to speed, probably fighter for a few levels(like 4 or so), but I haven't really planned this build out.

Care to help me out/insult me for a horrible idea?

Gorilla2038
2010-04-14, 03:10 PM
Purely for flavor Scout/Combat Trapsmith would be pretty cool, with maybe a dip of barbarian for extra speed.

Sounds fun to play.

RagnaroksChosen
2010-04-14, 03:18 PM
Before you say anything, yes I know this is sub-optimal.

I like kobold's as a race, they are so damn flavorful to me. I love roleplaying them, it's just fun for me. So I'd like to see how far I can go with a kobold fighter(read:Martial character), I want to try to play it like a kobold would, hit-and-run. Probably not effective but playing to kobold's strength's would be nice for RP, I just want to optimize it to a point of "can work with the average party, and reasonably be alright". Area variants are alright(Aka, instant desert/jungle kobold suggestion).

Sources, I usually use anything I can find online, mostly from the SRD, crystal keep, the guide to free dnd (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=1109.0), and a site that has all(?) the feats of 3.5, not sure if thats exactly legal or not(Will remove from post if illegal).

I'm thinking initially barbarian for the +10 to speed, probably fighter for a few levels(like 4 or so), but I haven't really planned this build out.

Care to help me out/insult me for a horrible idea?

I had an awsome Kobold barbarian /bear warrior. So much fun to play Optimised for grappling. and charging.
It was great fun...
Probebly would have done it differently if the power level was needed.

Scout/fighter would be a good mix.

Also rogue/swashbuckler daring outlaw works well for kobolds. Playing up there dex and int. Pritty much ignoring str.

Kosjsjach
2010-04-14, 03:18 PM
If you do dip Fighter for feats, see if you can nab the Hit-and-Run Tactics ACF in "Drow of the Underdark". You basically trade any hope of heavy armor proficiency for a +2 to Initiative, and the ability to add your Dex to damage against flat-footed opponents. There's a bit more to it, but there ya go.

I'll also suggest Warblade; maneuvers are never a bad thing, and you might be able to make use out of Tiger Claw (Swordsage gets better maneuvers for a quick stabby build, but isn't really fighter-y).

Keld Denar
2010-04-14, 03:19 PM
Kobalds make EXCELLENT Totemists (Magic of Incarnum), given that they come prepackaged with not 1, not 2, but 3 natural weapons (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060420a). They also have Slight Build, which is fun at times.

I'd use the Desert Kobald flavor, as they don't get the Con penalty that is so prevalent to this diminuative race. As a front liner, and a totemist, you WANT as much Con as possible. Don't take the penalty!

Touchy
2010-04-14, 03:24 PM
Kobalds make EXCELLENT Totemists (Magic of Incarnum), given that they come prepackaged with not 1, not 2, but 3 natural weapons (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060420a). They also have Slight Build, which is fun at times.

I'd use the Desert Kobald flavor, as they don't get the Con penalty that is so prevalent to this diminuative race. As a front liner, and a totemist, you WANT as much Con as possible. Don't take the penalty!
The problem with that is I don't have access to soulmelds. :smallwink: I do know that frontliners should NEVER TAKE A CON PENALITY, so I'm left with the jungle kobold, any reason why people suggest desert kobold instead?

Nor tome of battle, unfortunately.

Eldariel
2010-04-14, 03:27 PM
Kobolds can make good Dex-based anything (obviously) so Dex-based Barbarian (using Ferocity (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070228a)) or Fighter or such is easy. Or you could just brute force the Strength and start with 14 there and increase it every level. Or take Shiba Protector to use WIsdom, etc.

Kylarra
2010-04-14, 03:29 PM
Warblade (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20060802a&page=2) is free (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20061225a).

Tao the Ninja
2010-04-14, 03:33 PM
Swordsages get shadow hand...

Octopus Jack
2010-04-14, 03:35 PM
Purely for flavor Scout/Combat Trapsmith would be pretty cool, with maybe a dip of barbarian for extra speed.

Sounds fun to play.

This actually sounds awesome, I want one now

Touchy
2010-04-14, 03:38 PM
Warblade (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20060802a&page=2) is free (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20061225a).

Thanks for informing me, time to zoom over this.

jiriku
Confound the Big Ones and Underfoot Combat would like to have a discussion with your about their obvious synergy with the kobold's small size and weasely fighting tactics.

Keld Denar
The problem with that is I don't have access to soulmelds.

Bu...wha? Why not? Is it an absolute no-magic game? The souls of magical beasts are EVERYWHERE! EVERYWHERE I TELL YOU!!! MWA HA HA HA HA HA HA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kylarra
2010-04-14, 03:40 PM
Bu...wha? Why not? Is it an absolute no-magic game? The souls of magical beasts are EVERYWHERE! EVERYWHERE I TELL YOU!!! MWA HA HA HA HA HA HA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It's probably just not having the book. :smalltongue:

Touchy
2010-04-14, 03:43 PM
It's probably just not having the book. :smalltongue:

Are you a diviner, or a telepath?

arguskos
2010-04-14, 03:45 PM
Are you a diviner, or a telepath?
Kylarra is what we in these parts call "logical", in that they seem to have a firm grasp of the obvious, and the ability to use deductive reasoning to infer facts, unlike Keld, who we call "amusing, yet explosively crazy". :smalltongue: You know we love you, Keld. ;)

Octopus Jack
2010-04-14, 03:48 PM
Kylarra is what we in these parts call "logical", in that they seem to have a firm grasp of the obvious, and the ability to use deductive reasoning to infer facts, unlike Keld, who we call "amusing, yet explosively crazy". :smalltongue: You know we love you, Keld. ;)

Everyone need a bit of explosive crazy in their lives.
Anyway back to kobolds

arguskos
2010-04-14, 03:50 PM
Everyone need a bit of explosive crazy in their lives.
Anyway back to kobolds
Kobolds: They are crunchy, and good with ketchup. :smallamused:
Explosive Crazy: It is excellent... in small amounts.

Ok, to actually contribute to this thread in a not-totally-tangential way, I'd actually suggest the Scout/Barb/Ranger Swift Hunter Combo trick. Take 1 level of Barb for Fast Movement and Whirling Frenzy, and go to town. IIRC, that blends decently (I might be misremembering, this is not my forte)

Touchy
2010-04-14, 03:55 PM
Desert Kobold
10 Str
17 Dex
16 Con
14 Int
8 Wis
8 Cha

Good stats, also I don't see hitdice anywhere on the warblade's page.

Keld Denar
2010-04-14, 04:01 PM
Warblades have a d12 HD like a Barb, and 4+Int skill points per level.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2010-04-14, 04:05 PM
Dragonwrought Kobold Totemist with (Improved) Rapidstrike...

Touchy
2010-04-14, 04:06 PM
Dragonwrought Kobold Totemist with (Improved) Rapidstrike...

Not dragonwroughting, sorry. Also I don't have full access to soulmelds.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2010-04-14, 04:08 PM
Not dragonwroughting, sorry. Also I don't have full access to soulmelds.

The purpose of Dragonwrought here is not to cheese anything, just to gain an appropriate creature type to qualify for Rapidstrike.

Woodsman
2010-04-14, 04:10 PM
The purpose of Dragonwrought here is not to cheese anything, just to gain an appropriate creature type to qualify for Rapidstrike.

He may not want to go Dragonwrought anyway.

Touchy
2010-04-14, 04:13 PM
He may not want to go Dragonwrought anyway.
I already dragonwroughted a wizard, yeah. I'm on the warning list(for nearly breaking our gentlemen's agreement not to break the game), because +3 to all mental stats is OP apparently.

Edit: I've also decided against warblade, I wanted to play a martial character because so I didn't have to make so didn't have to deal with spellcasting for a bit.