PDA

View Full Version : You are in a small party of adventurers that need to save the world

randomhero00
2010-04-14, 03:23 PM
The catch is you are relatively normal. You can receive training in martial prowess but that's about it. No way for you to use your DnD (or other game if you want to answer for something different) optimization tricks on yourself (no mind switching, no Wishing for feats, or candles of invocation etc). You get no feats or class features for yourself. Only what you could learn in real life. Your goal is to become the most powerful and survivable party of adventurers out there to prevent an Armageddon situation.

The advantage: you get to design your party, three other individuals. You can use optimization tricks but to make it something of a challenge no infinite loops, candles of invocation (or any game changing item like that), no leadership, no pun pun, etc. Just three adventurers to travel with. And a strategy to prevent Armageddon.

Keep in mind though that having a tainted scholar in your party might not be pleasant at best, at worst he might go mad and kill you or get you killed. Undead members, even if disguised have a chance to be hunted down by other high level adventurers. Etc. In other words assume whatever a DM might throw at you, could happen.

Armageddon: You are up against a party of 4 other optimized evil adventurers (PC class levels.) They are attempting to bring about the end of the world. You don't know how, only that they have several options. You know nothing about them other than that. In other words, can't scry them, they'll be making the first move. And even if you do find out about them, they will be using anti scrying/teleporting measures.

Level=20, standard wealth by level, no crafting (just to simplify things.) If you want to use an LA there is no buy off.

Go! :smallsmile:

I may or may not be submitting my own party, I'm better at thinking up situations than optimizing a party. I know I'd definitely want a DMM cleric buffing the heck out of me though, so I don't die from a stray spell. And for resing. Probably a IotSFV. And a Psion with the save game trick... I'd go for extreme survivability first, since I wouldn't know what we're going up against, and ya know, I'd like to survive. Then versatility.

Dust
2010-04-14, 03:54 PM
The super-short version?
Dave Strider, (OA)Samurai 8/Ninja 2/Iaijutsu Master 10
Rose Lalonde, Factotum 20
Jade Harley, Bard 17/Mindbender2/Virtuoso1

Laugh at their classes all you want. When Armageddon comes and goes, we'll be standing amidst the rubble.

Lost Wanderer
2010-04-14, 04:18 PM
So... you're like the Tactician from Fire Emblem: Blazing Blade? Not capable of anything on your own, but in charge of the specifics of whole group? Given the conditions of "nothing you can't do in real life", you personally would be limited to a level of fighter or rogue (no UMD) because everything else is is magical or superhuman in some way. You might be able to stretch warblade to fit, and maybe take two class levels, but after that point HP becomes unrealistic.

Also, what is the nature of the end-of-the-world scenario? A team going after the followers of the god of insanity would be very different from one fighting a vampire lord.

randomhero00
2010-04-14, 04:33 PM
Lost- Basically right, but you get no class features or class levels. It'd be just like real life, if you can learn to swing a sword well, then you can do that (you can assume training time). Not going to be learning any ToB maneuvers. You are basically the tactician of the group. Not likely to be directly in combat but you can be if you can figure out a way to super buff yourself.

You don't know the nature. They could be doing just about anything. You only know its coming. Might be several years before it happens. You don't find out until they make the first move. You only know they are evil, that you will have a chance or two to stop them, and that they are capable of things level 20 adventurers are. You know they're optimized, so you pretty much know they are a party of level 20 casters.

Undead would almost certainly be involved, even if indirectly. Just because they make the best evil minions. Unless they turn out to be 4 druids.

If I gave you anything more specific, it'd be too easy to come up with a counter for.

Dust- so would that be like an assassin squad?

Edit, I'll give you a timeframe. Let's say you have 1 year to prepare, at least. But you still don't know when its coming.

Yorrin
2010-04-14, 08:50 PM
Easy- your party is all evil Diplomancers with a high Bluff. Persuade the other badguys that it's much more profitable/beneficial to rule the universe rather than destroying it.

It's my evil plan to save the world.

Fri
2010-04-14, 08:55 PM
The super-short version?
Dave Strider, (OA)Samurai 8/Ninja 2/Iaijutsu Master 10
Rose Lalonde, Factotum 20
Jade Harley, Bard 17/Mindbender2/Virtuoso1

Laugh at their classes all you want. When Armageddon comes and goes, we'll be standing amidst the rubble.

what's John's class?

Slayn82
2010-04-14, 09:14 PM
May i get your atention to this game (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7370616#post7370616)? Unfortunatelly, its currently on hiatus. See my plans before becoming artificer.

Hum, im thinking about DMing something like it, myself.

chiasaur11
2010-04-14, 09:35 PM
what's John's class?

Who cares?

He's dead in the end.