PDA

View Full Version : Re: Elan/Nale's Father, the IFCC, and the Eventual Final Showdown

Danne
2010-04-14, 03:44 PM
I've been lurking reading a lot of the various theories regarding future events with interest, and there's one theory in particular that seems to be very common. Namely, that Elan and Nale's father will somehow be involved in the events to come. Most think that he's the tyrant holding Haley's father captive, though there are other theories, as well.

It seems I'm in the minority with this, but I always assumed that Elan and Nale's father was dead. I got that impression from this (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0061.html) strip, for the following reasons:

1) Nale tries to kill Elan.

2) Elan, recovered, demands to know why.

3) Nale tells him, "I gave you a chance to join me. But you'd rather stay with these fools? Well, I can't very well allow you to continue breathing after an insult like that, now, can I? Because no one denies me, Elan. Not father, not you, no one.

4) They then fight, with Nale doing his darndest to kill Elan.

The impression I take away from this is that, after their father denied him one too many times, Nale killed him just like he tried to do with Elan. He never comes right out and says it, and I suppose there are other possible interpretations (Daddy denied him so Nale stormed off in a huff, for example) but "I killed my own father for denying me, and now I'm going to kill you for the same reason!" makes the most sense to me.

Instead, I'd like to posit the following situation: Oots and Team Evil, with the addition of Girard's group (and possibly Ian), have a final showdown at Girard's Gate. Oots wins, with Redcloak probably having some sort of heel-face turn, overcoming Xykon and/or dying a tragic death, etc. Then the Order receives word from O-Chul and Lien that Kraagor's Gate is in jeopardy, as well, and they set off to stop the Linear Guild. We know that Nale & co. are the IFCC's pawns via Sabine, so at some point during the struggle the IFCC will reveal themselves to the party (not sure how this will affect V) and we'll have a final showdown.

I know that Xykon has been the Big Bad since day one, but we know that he's heading for Girard's Gate next. We also know that Nale is after a Gate and that O-Chul and Lien have been sent to monitor Kraagar's, and it makes sense to me that these points wouldn't be included if they weren't intended to foreshadow things (Chekov would be proud). As for Xykon, it wouldn't be the first time that the Big Bad of a series has been defeated before the actual end of the story, with the final climax taking place later with a threat that no one even realized was a threat until events after the BB is dead. The IFCC have been making me very nervous since they were first introduced. I would not be surprised at all of they turn out to be a bigger threat than Xykon.

Any thoughts?

Procyonpi
2010-04-14, 04:54 PM
Instead, I'd like to posit the following situation: Oots and Team Evil, with the addition of Girard's group (and possibly Ian), have a final showdown at Girard's Gate. Oots wins, with Redcloak probably having some sort of heel-face turn, overcoming Xykon and/or dying a tragic death, etc. Then the Order receives word from O-Chul and Lien that Kraagor's Gate is in jeopardy, as well, and they set off to stop the Linear Guild. We know that Nale & co. are the IFCC's pawns via Sabine, so at some point during the struggle the IFCC will reveal themselves to the party (not sure how this will affect V) and we'll have a final showdown.

I know that Xykon has been the Big Bad since day one, but we know that he's heading for Girard's Gate next. We also know that Nale is after a Gate and that O-Chul and Lien have been sent to monitor Kraagar's, and it makes sense to me that these points wouldn't be included if they weren't intended to foreshadow things (Chekov would be proud). As for Xykon, it wouldn't be the first time that the Big Bad of a series has been defeated before the actual end of the story, with the final climax taking place later with a threat that no one even realized was a threat until events after the BB is dead. The IFCC have been making me very nervous since they were first introduced. I would not be surprised at all of they turn out to be a bigger threat than Xykon.
Any thoughts?

No way. Xykon is gonna be the big baddy to the very end, or at least comically close to it. Girard's gate will be destroyed in some sort of Comic accident, and then epicness of proportions currently known only to rich will ensue at Kraagor's gate. Probably involving Xykon, the IFCC, the true identity of the MitD, the snarl, and the order, at the very least. I don't claim to know what will happen, but killing Xykon off a gate before the end would just be anti-climatic. I would not be surprised to see a fallout between redcloak and Xykon, though, whether Recloack betrays Xykon or Xykon decides he's done with Redcloak's small e evil.

ThePhantasm
2010-04-14, 05:06 PM
I think Xykon will live to the end of the series, and that the final battle will be even more complex as a result. The rest of your points aren't half bad though, I suppose.

Ancalagon
2010-04-14, 05:07 PM
I think Xykon will live to the end of the series

But... but... but... dun dun duun: he is ALREADY DEAD!!!1 :smalltongue:

Danne
2010-04-14, 05:08 PM
Yes, I figured most people would disagree with the Xykon bit. And I wouldn't be surprised if I'm wrong, at least on that part. I do think that it makes sense, though.

ThePhantasm
2010-04-14, 05:09 PM
But... but... but... dun dun duun: he is ALREADY DEAD!!!1 :smalltongue:

Yes yes yes if you want to be technical... :smalltongue:

The Pale King
2010-04-14, 05:34 PM
The problem with the Girard's Gate to Kraagor's Gate progression for the rest of the story is that we still need to explore the planet inside the Riff.

And, yeah, Xykon's around for the rest of the main plot.

Danne
2010-04-14, 05:48 PM
The problem with the Girard's Gate to Kraagor's Gate progression for the rest of the story is that we still need to explore the planet inside the Riff.

I'm expecting that to come out during the final climax. If it has to do with the weakening fabric of the universe (etc.) than it makes sense that they don't get to learn about it until there's only one Gate left.

Morgan Wick
2010-04-14, 09:08 PM
"Tyrinaria doesn't exist anymore (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0680.html)" already put a big damper on the "Tyrinar is Elan and Nale's father" theories (although it's amazingly compatible with this version of it). Chekhov's Law says we're bound to learn more about Nale's relationship to his father than easily-missed book commentary. And crucially, the IFCC is concerned with Girard's Gate, not Kraagor's (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0668.html). The Linear Guild will show up in this book (and that doesn't necessarily preclude Xykon's presence - remember, Roy wanted to know which one Xykon would show up at first), but V is a more reliable means of actually seizing a gate.

Danne
2010-04-15, 02:43 PM
"Tyrinaria doesn't exist anymore (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0680.html)" already put a big damper on the "Tyrinar is Elan and Nale's father" theories (although it's amazingly compatible with this version of it).

That's what I would have thought, but some people are still insisting. "Maybe Tyrinar is Elan/Nale's father, but Ian overthrew him so now Ian is an Evil Overlord and Tyrinar is in prison!!11!1" is a common one.

And crucially, the IFCC is concerned with Girard's Gate, not Kraagor's (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0668.html).

Not necessarily. They say, "...the race for the next Gate beings tomorrow." "And while they fight each other, we move our pawns into position." They acknowledge that Oots and Team Evil are racing for "the next" (i.e. Girard's) Gate, but the "while they fight each other" bit could indicate that they're going after either Gate. I.e. "while they fight each other" we'll sneak past them and steal the Gate from under their noses," or "while they keep each other occupied with Girard's Gate, we'll move on to Kraagor's when no one's looking."

It could be interpreted either way.

NerfTW
2010-04-15, 03:01 PM
"Tyrinaria doesn't exist anymore (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0680.html)" already put a big damper on the "Tyrinar is Elan and Nale's father" theories (although it's amazingly compatible with this version of it).

How does that affect the theories at all? He can be deposed and dead and still have been their father years before. He could even still be around somewhere else. His current status as a ruler does not in any way affect his ability to have fathered children 22 years ago.

Danne
2010-04-15, 03:30 PM
How does that affect the theories at all? He can be deposed and dead and still have been their father years before. He could even still be around somewhere else. His current status as a ruler does not in any way affect his ability to have fathered children 22 years ago.

It doesn't affect the possibility that he was their father, but if he's dead (as seems to be the case with rules on the Western continent, or as comic 61 seems to imply that Nale killed him) than it does affect his ability to show up as a major character in the upcoming strips. Which was the point I was really trying to make (the rest is just speculation).