PDA

View Full Version : ToB Question: Maneuvers => Stances

Mongoose87
2010-04-14, 04:18 PM
On page 39 of the ToB, under "Initiator Level," it is implied that one can trade out maneuvers for stances, as one increases levels. Is this normally how it is played? I've only ever traded out maneuvers for other maneuvers. Is this a mistake? I've never seen reference to it, before.

Amphetryon
2010-04-14, 04:22 PM
That's almost certainly a typo. Maneuvers /= stances, otherwise, and it references back to Chapter 1's class descriptions, where the wording is unambiguously trading maneuvers for maneuvers. That said, if you can get your DM to go for it, rock on.

Sinfire Titan
2010-04-14, 04:23 PM
On page 39 of the ToB, under "Initiator Level," it is implied that one can trade out maneuvers for stances, as one increases levels. Is this normally how it is played? I've only ever traded out maneuvers for other maneuvers. Is this a mistake? I've never seen reference to it, before.

Stances can't be traded out. It's stated in the Stances class feature.

Keld Denar
2010-04-14, 04:25 PM
The only time stances count as manevuers is when you are counting up manevuers in a given school for prereqs.

If you know Hunter's Sense and Wolf Fang Strike, you know 2 Tiger Claw manevuers and thus qualify to take a maneuver that requires 2 Tiger Claw manevuers.

Thats it.

Mongoose87
2010-04-14, 04:26 PM
The only time stances count as manevuers is when you are counting up manevuers in a given school for prereqs.

If you know Hunter's Sense and Wolf Fang Strike, you know 2 Tiger Claw manevuers and thus qualify to take a maneuver that requires 2 Tiger Claw manevuers.

Thats it.

That's what I thought.

Stances can't be traded out. It's stated in the Stances class feature.

The passage implies that you can trade out maneuvers for stances, at higher levels.

AslanCross
2010-04-14, 04:50 PM
That's what I thought.

The passage implies that you can trade out maneuvers for stances, at higher levels.

It seems to be a typo, and yeah, it does look like what you take it to mean if it's out of context. The very next line contradicts it, saying that stances are useful across levels. It's bad editing, as usual.

Though still not as badly edited as the ToB Errata. :smallfurious::smallfurious::smallfurious: