PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Variant Ranger: Domain

Kuzimu
2010-04-14, 05:41 PM
So one of my players wants to make a more thematic ranger, without their general spellcasting.

Would a single domain make a viable exchange? Or would two be comparable?

How could I mete out the domain(s) granted power and spells? He'll probably pick the Celestial domain (BOED p86, I believe). His other domain would probably be Travel.

Should he get the same domain spell progression as a cleric, and only ever receive one spell slot per level per day, or should he get ranger spell slots?

Thank you for your help! I've normally got an OK eye for balance, but I wasn't sure how a domain metes up to spellcasting.

Sinfire Titan
2010-04-14, 05:47 PM
What about using Domain Feats from Complete Champion? There is a variant built into the book that replaces a Ranger's spellcasting with bonus feats, you could add the Domain feats to that list (and maybe give him a means to fuel them, along with relaxing the restrictions on how many he can take) for a similar effect.

Incan Road
2010-04-14, 05:48 PM
I say keep the Ranger spell progression and spells and incorporate the appropriate level domain spells, or what ever adjustment you think is necessary. I just think that if he had a Cleric spell progression he might be too powerful, he would have Cleric spells and Ranger abilities.

Kuzimu
2010-04-14, 05:49 PM
Even if it's just the domain slots? I mean, I wouldn't give him cleric spell progression, but just the "one domain slot of every spell level"

Runeclaw
2010-04-14, 06:05 PM
I think taking away his Ranger spellcasting for one Domain would be too harsh. Give it to him for a single feat. You're not going to overpower the ranger.

Incan Road
2010-04-14, 06:11 PM
Well if he only wants the Travel and Celestial domains he won't get too powerful. So guess a Cleric progression is viable. Would you let him have the ranger spells and the domain spells?

Evard
2010-04-14, 06:22 PM
I'd say give him bard's spell progression/spells per day + Travel or Plant domain + 1 other domain (of the ranger's choice).

This gives a bit more omph to the ranger :D

Sinfire Titan
2010-04-14, 06:24 PM
Just thought of this.

What about using Prestige Ranger? (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/prestigiousCharacterClasses.htm#prestigeRanger) It gets him 6th level Divine spells, Ranger advancement, and Full (or near-full) BAB.

Yes, I'm aware I'm breaking the first commandment, fellow optimizers, but a Swift Hunter build with Cleric chasis is very useful for a party. And his Animal Companion won't be complete garbage compared to a straight Ranger's.

Kuzimu
2010-04-14, 06:35 PM
The campaign is starting at Level 2. The player is playing a Bariaur, so he has +1 LA and only one ranger level.

Sinfire Titan
2010-04-14, 06:59 PM
The campaign is starting at Level 2. The player is playing a Bariaur, so he has +1 LA and only one ranger level.

So why is he worried about his casting?

Kuzimu
2010-04-14, 07:11 PM
He thinks that Ranger casting doesn't fit his character. He needs like either an alternate spell list or a domain he could use right off-the-bat in exchange or something.

Yeah, I like working with people and homebrewing everything...

Sinfire Titan
2010-04-14, 07:18 PM
He thinks that Ranger casting doesn't fit his character. He needs like either an alternate spell list or a domain he could use right off-the-bat in exchange or something.

If he ditches his animal companion and the Ranger's spell list, I can see giving him 2 domains and Duskblade spell progression (the last part is pushing it a bit). That's about as generous as I'd be.

Vangor
2010-04-14, 07:29 PM

Give him the domain feats along with quicker ranger spellcasting progression including an additional domain slot. I see nothing wrong with this, especially not with Celestial and Travel being the choices. Do be wary about what feats those unlock, though.