PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Fleshing out Aid Another

Myou
2010-04-14, 05:44 PM
The in-battle usage of Aid Another is very powerful in the hands of groups of weaker foes, and a key tool for smater monsters to use to challenge PCs with high AC and attack rolls (and for PCs to use when fighting powerful foes in small quantities), but I have two problems with it, first that archers can't use it - which is nonsensical, and second that there is no defense against it (which allows a group of weak hirelings/monsters to give a PC/boss monster a huge stacking bonus to attack, when it would be better for the target to just let the weaker foes hit, take his four or five lots of small shortsword damage, and dodge the colossal greatclub being swung at him), with that in mind, here's my rewrite, any problems or comments?

The Aid Another action functions in the following way when used in combat: In melee or ranged combat, you can help a friend attack or defend by distracting or interfering with an opponent.

• Defensive Bonus: If you’re in position to make an attack against an opponent that is attacking or may attack your friend you can attempt to aid your friend as a standard action. You make an attack roll against the enemy's AC divided by two. If you succeed, your friend gains a +2 bonus to AC against that opponent’s next attack (your choice), as long as that attack comes before the beginning of your next turn. Multiple characters can aid the same friend, the similar bonuses stack. The opponent is aware of what you are attempting to do and can nullify this use of the Aid Another action if it wishes, by deliberately allowing your attack to hit it, denying your friend the +2 bonus. Treat the attack as a normal attack from you using the weapon with which you made the attack roll, and do not apply critical hits or bonus damage, such as from abilities like Power Attack or sneak Attack.

• Offensive Bonus: If you and your friend are in position to each make an attack against an opponent you can attempt to aid your friend as a standard action. You make an attack roll against the enemy's AC divided by two. If you succeed, your friend gains a +2 bonus on his next attack roll against that opponent, as long as that attack comes before the beginning of your next turn. Multiple characters can aid the same friend, the similar bonuses stack. The opponent is aware of what you are attempting to do and can nullify this use of the Aid Another action if it wishes, by deliberately allowing your attack to hit it, denying your friend the +2 bonus. Treat the attack as a normal attack from you using the weapon with which you made the attack roll, and do not apply critical hits or bonus damage, such as from abilities like Power Attack or sneak Attack.

jiriku
2010-04-14, 05:57 PM
It's a reasonable rewrite, although I don't see the logic behind disallowing riders like power attack or sneak attack. If I want to attempt a wild, powerful swing (heavy use of power attack while attempting to Aid Another) to force my opponent to dodge my blow and therefore be distracted, should that opponent take a nasty hit if he decides to ignore my swing so he can focus on another opponent?

Also, if you allow riders like power attack and sneak and such, who benefits? Non-casters who've invested resources in making effective melee attacks. Sounds like a win for game balance to me.

Myou
2010-04-14, 06:17 PM
It's a reasonable rewrite, although I don't see the logic behind disallowing riders like power attack or sneak attack. If I want to attempt a wild, powerful swing (heavy use of power attack while attempting to Aid Another) to force my opponent to dodge my blow and therefore be distracted, should that opponent take a nasty hit if he decides to ignore my swing so he can focus on another opponent?

Also, if you allow riders like power attack and sneak and such, who benefits? Non-casters who've invested resources in making effective melee attacks. Sounds like a win for game balance to me.

Yeah, but you only have to hit AC 10 for it to work, so it actually make Aid Another Preferable to a full power attack at higher levels, because you're certain to miss otherwise, and takes away the option of letting it hit for the enemy. The in-game justification is that it's pretty hard to target someone in such a way as to not try to hit them, but try to make them dodge the way you want - so you just don't have the opportunity to apply bonus damage.

Myou
2010-04-14, 06:46 PM
Edit: Changed it to half enemy's AC after talking about it some more with my player.