PDA

View Full Version : Best divine feat?

KingoftheTrees
2010-04-14, 06:20 PM
Other than the obvious (DMM Persist) what would be the best divine feats to get?

Lord of Syntax
2010-04-14, 06:24 PM
Most other DMMs (Not what you want, but still.)

Sinfire Titan
2010-04-14, 06:25 PM
DMM Quicken?

I kid. Probably the one that gets Cha to damage. If Domain feats count, Trickery by a mile. Especially pre-Errata nerf.

jiriku
2010-04-14, 06:32 PM
I'm fond of divine spellpower for support clerics. When tricked out so that you always get +4 caster level every time, it lets you squeeze an extra +1 out of all those cleric buff spells that grant a +1 bonus to x for every 4 caster levels.

tyckspoon
2010-04-14, 06:35 PM
Divine Spellpower (Turn Undead--> Caster Level? Yes please.) and Divine Might are probably the best. Divine Soultouch is neat if you happen to be an Incarnum user (Turn Undead--> temporary improved Essentia capacity for pretty much everything. Combine with the Azurin Cleric substitution for essentia-nova funtimes.)

Tinydwarfman
2010-04-14, 07:53 PM
DMM(Quicken) for casting, Divine Vigor and Divine Might for melee. Unless devotion feats count of course.

Keld Denar
2010-04-14, 08:29 PM
Divine Ward is a pretty decent one. If you need to heal someone, and you just can't force yourself to disengage, this allows you to do it at range. Great with Heal or Greater Restoration. Slightly more efficent than DMM: Reach, albeit less versatile.

AslanCross
2010-04-14, 09:04 PM
I'm a fan of Divine Might for Paladins and melee clerics. Divine Vigor also helps overcome the inherent slowness of heavy armor.

Eldariel
2010-04-14, 09:06 PM
Divine Defiance! [FCII]

KingoftheTrees
2010-04-15, 04:15 PM
My cleric just picked up Divine Spellpower. The minimum I can roll for a turn check right now is 15 -> +3 caster level. :) I'm also thinking about picking up Domain Spontaneity (Glory) (I was told we're gonna be hip-deep in evil outsiders later in the campaign, nothing beats a Bolt of Glory to the face!) and Retrieve Spell. What're your thoughts on those? Yes, there IS a wizard in the party, but a backup damage caster never hurt anyone right? And being able to get some spells back? Always good. If it helps, I have 18 turn attempts right now (11 regular, 7 Greater... I'm a Radiant Servant of Pelor) so I have plenty of turns to work with, and my DM will be giving me two more FREE divine feats since there are literally no more undead in the campaign and he feels bad that I have a class feature I can't use. :)

Eldariel
2010-04-15, 04:39 PM
Few things:
1) Backup damage caster usually does hurt people; mostly the enemy.
2) Glory-domain isn't terribly impressive as Bolt of Glory doesn't really do more damage than metamagicked lower level spells and doesn't have worthwhile side effects; Darkbolt [LoM] is much better for a damage Cleric for example. And lots of outsiders? Prepare Banishment! That's something Clerics are better at than arcanists, and a whole lot more brutal than damage spells; autopass SR, DC 30+ Will SoD. Just pack things evil outsiders hate and it'll autodeal with all of them.
3) Divine Defiance is honestly an amazing divine feat. I didn't mention it for fun. It allows you to burn Turn Undead for immediate action countermagic. If you face a lot of enemies with tendency for magical combat, it's incredible. If you don't, they aren't really threatening anyways so yeah, pick it.

Though Domain Spontaneity is definitely good; I'd probably pick something that gives you versatile answers to issues though. Pelor doesn't really have many of those so I'd probably skip that; most of his domains are exceptionally focused (stuff you'd want is like Time, Celerity, Trickery, Travel, Spell, Magic, the kind; stuff that gives you a strong, versatile suite of spells that you want to cast many times per day).

There is plenty of good domain feats to choose from though so despair not. Complete Champion has the Devotion-feats which also enable burning Turn Undead-uses for extra uses so those are something to consider. They have really impressive effects too.

KingoftheTrees
2010-04-15, 05:30 PM
With Devine Defiance, do you still have to ready the action to counterspell? I don't have many ranks in Spellcraft... I DO however have the Healing Devotion feat, and that has saved my bacon on so many occasions... And this was before my DM and I knew about the errata. How many other things are good against outsiders? I'm pretty sure we'll be traveling to other planes at some point, would Dismissal work on the outsider's home plane? What else is good against outsiders? I DO have the spell Turn Anathema, and with the granted power of the Glory domain, I'll be able to turn a lot of outsiders. :)

Keld Denar
2010-04-15, 06:26 PM
Divine Defiance only requires you to ID the spell if you are using the same spell or an opposite spell (Haste vs Slow) to counter. You can counter it with Dispel Magic even if you don't know what it is, as long as you can make the CL check.

And no, Dismissal won't work on a target on its native plane. It requires the EXTRAPLANAR (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm#extraplanarSubtype) subtype as a target. An creature only gains the Extraplanar subtype when they are not on their native plane. YOU are the one with the Extraplanar subtype if you are invading hell to slay devils, so they could Dismiss you.

Curmudgeon
2010-04-15, 06:42 PM
If Domain feats count, Trickery by a mile. Especially pre-Errata nerf.
Well, that doesn't count. You never have the option to ignore errata, any more than you have the option to ignore any other rule.

But most domain feats do count, if they have that "Special: If you have the ability to turn or rebuke undead" line. (I think Knowledge Devotion is the only one that doesn't qualify.) If you like melee Clerics, I think Travel Devotion is the best.

Keld Denar
2010-04-15, 07:03 PM
Travel Devotion is good, but Law Devotion and Animal Devotion are stronger, in terms of pure physical output. Mobility can be nice, but the extra oomph you get from either of them is pretty impressive.