PDA

View Full Version : Neverending Dungeon - Sleepy

term1nally s1ck
2010-04-14, 07:11 PM
The air surrounding you fairly hums with the residue of magic, an aftereffect of the spell that brought you to this place. A quick glance reveals that you are in a small room, devoid of any life save for yourself. The sound of dripping water can be heard faintly, and the stone walls are slick with moisture. In complete defiance of logic, a torch is already lit, resting in a sconce near the room's single door.
Map:{table]|A_|B_|C_
1|||
2||N|
3|||
4|||[/table]

There is a door at C-4, south side.

DM Notes:Sheet (http://www.thetangledweb.net/forums/profiler/view_char.php?cid=36456)

sleepy
2010-04-16, 03:33 PM
Seth's muscles relax into stillness, all motion fading from him as his mind races to assemble the new "here." He lifts the focus from his senses and lets them expand outward to fill the room. One With What Is murmers a voice deep in his mind, and deep below thought, his mind hears the flat spatter-slap of water on damp stone, the slick plasticity of its echo on flat and whetted walls, the curt stillness of its small-roomed containment. He lets the taste of pitchy soot press at the back of his throat, lets his blank-staring eyes find their comfort in the ruddy orange glow. One With What Is whispers again through the stillness of his mind, and only then, from within the moment itself, does he reach out into it with the questions of conscious thought.

Alright, I won't always be so wordy, but I guess I'm in a verbose mood.

I assume I'm standing up? Is there a window or peephole of any sort in the door? Where is the torch in relation to the door and, if such exists, the window/peephole?

Spot Listen [roll1] before moving, paying particular attention to anything beyond the door, as well as where the water's coming from.

If nothing appears untoward, I'll quickly check over what I'm wearing. If I seem to be equipped as I last recall being (as per my character sheet) I'll scan and feel over the main items briefly. However I won't take anything out of my belt pouch, otherwise occupy my hands, or do anything that could make noise. If I need to roll any checks as part of this feel free to roll them for me.

Assuming I haven't run into a reason not to, I'll proceed in one of two ways, depending on whether or not you can see into/out of the room.

If it's possible to see through the door, I'll try to look out from where I'm standing. If I cannot, provided doing so would not place me between the door and the torch, I'll step into C2 and attempt to look out from there. Sneaky-like.
Spot [spot]1d20+3 Hide [roll2] Move Silently [roll3]

If it's NOT possible to see into the room, I'll search it thoroughly. Points of special interest will include the source and drainage of water, the torch, and the door, including the hinges and the lock as well as the part that gets in your way. I'll take 20 on this, but quietly, and keeping an ear out.
Search (taking 20) Move Silently [roll4] Listen [roll5]

That's about as far as I can go without any new info.

sleepy
2010-04-16, 03:36 PM
Wow ok, if I'm going to roll like that all game, you won't have to work very hard.

replacement for typefail:
spot [roll0]

term1nally s1ck
2010-04-16, 04:52 PM
The dripping appears to be from somewhere outside the room, the torch is at A3, and the door is a single 500lb sheet of lead, mounted to slide easily into the wall. The 'handle' is a few indentations in the lead to allow you to grip the door better.

The torch is an ordinary torch.

There are no windows or gaps in the walls other than the door, and they appear to have been crafted from a single stone, probably bedrock.

sleepy
2010-04-16, 06:36 PM
Sorry, "the dripping appears to be from outside the room", by this you mean the sound or the water? I assume you mean the sound since there's no gaps in the walls etc. Then again, if the walls are wet, I'm not so sure.

By the way, I assume Martial Spirit stance.

Assuming there's nothing more to see about the water, and assuming my search on the door was comprehensive enough that further poking at it would be unproductive, I'll remove the torch from the sconce and examine that. Even if there's nothing urgent to note, I'd like to know how much work it would be to reposition. If I can hang the torch from the wall in C3 without a major undertaking I'll do that.

If I get this far, I'll move into B4 and scabbard my sword. If the door would slide into the east wall, I'll take my quarterstaff and see if I can set the butt into one of the indentations firmly enough that I could try to push the door open from here. If it would slide into the west wall, I'll unwind a few feet of rope from over my shoulder and try to hook the grappling hook into the door with a similar intention.

term1nally s1ck
2010-04-16, 06:56 PM
The sound.

Most people have it attached to their backpack or something, so they can take it with them. Not hard to set it up somewhere though.

Yeah, you can open the door from most distances.

sleepy
2010-04-16, 07:07 PM
That seems liable to catch a person on fire, at first consideration.

OK, I'll push/pull the door open a few inches, then stop and listen. If I don't hear anything, I'll step back, and peer around from a couple of yards back. If I still can't see anything, I'll creep up to the door and look out from up close.
Listen [roll0]
Spot [roll1]
Move Silently [roll2]
Hide [roll3]

term1nally s1ck
2010-04-16, 07:09 PM
RAW, a door is either open or closed...no half-way point.

sleepy
2010-04-16, 07:27 PM
Okay... so the door is closed, and there is now a 2 inch gap in the wall :P

Open 'er up then.

term1nally s1ck
2010-04-16, 08:34 PM
The corridor goes 30' south, ending in a T-junction. There's a split east after 20'.

To the east, you can't see the end of the corridor, but there's a north/south split after 10', and a door north after 30'.

sleepy
2010-04-17, 08:14 PM
sorry, I'm not quite clear on that. So it looks like this now?

{table="width=11em"]{colsp=9}
|x|x|x||||||
|x|x|x||||||
|x|x|x||||||
|x|x|D||||||
|||D||D||||
|||x||x||||
|||x||x||||
|||x||x||||
|||x||x||?||
?|?|?|x|x|x|x|x||
|||||?||?||
[/table]

term1nally s1ck
2010-04-18, 02:17 PM
Ah, no.

Standing just outside the door from your starting room, you can see down a corridor south, and a corridor east.

sleepy
2010-04-19, 02:33 AM
Ok, more like this then?

{table="width=18em"]|1.|2.|3.|4.|5.|6.|7.|8.|9.|10.|11.
{colsp=12}
a.||x|x|x||||||||
b.||x|x|x||||||||
c.||x|x|x||||||||
d.||x|x|D||?||||D||
e.||||D|x|x|x|x|x|x|?|
f.||||x||?||||||
g.||||X||||||||
h.||||x|?|||||||
i.||||x||||||||
j.|||?|x|?|||||||
k.||||||||||||
[/table]

Ok, in that case, Seth will move the torch into C3 (to avoid having a huge shadow), tuck his quarterstaff away again, draw his short sword, and slip down to G4. From there, he'll try and have a peek around the corner.

hide: [roll0]
move silently: [roll1]
spot: [roll2]
listen: [roll3]

term1nally s1ck
2010-04-19, 02:57 AM
Without the torch, you can no longer see anything. The corridors have no light sources.

That map is correct, btw.

sleepy
2010-04-19, 03:59 AM
Ugh, I was afraid of that.

Funny story: in meatspace, Sleepy used to throw raves... thus, creeping around in abandoned buildings where the floor might drop out from under you is actually pretty familiar territory for me. I also have exceptional nightvision and am very comfortable taking impressions from the full spectrum of my senses... which means being right on top of an unshielded light source tends to actually restrict what I can perceive in a dungeon-type scenario. And furthermore, since when I was doing this I rarely bothered with my own light, I know exactly how unlikely it is that someone with a light will spot someone without one, even when you're trying to call them over. I've had people shine their light on me, peer at my wave, and then walk right past... hell, more than once they've walked right into me.

I guess what I'm saying is: people who can't see in the dark and their insistence on pretending their light source is in any way helpful are a well established pet peeve of mine :p

Seth curses under his breath and heads back up the corridor. Before retrieving the torch, he sidetracks over to E5, taking just enough of a glance to the north and south to confirm he can't see squat. He then carries the torch over to E5 and sets it up on the floor. With the end of his sword, and as quietly as possible, he slides it eastward, following behind in an awkward, hunched-over crouch. He nudges the sconce out into the middle of E6 without appearing around the corner himself, then eases back from his outstretched posture and listens intently.
listen [roll0]

term1nally s1ck
2010-04-19, 04:36 AM
Oh, I know very well that handheld lightsources are generally useless...few years back before ther redeveloped there was an abandoned area of town near where I lived, so I'd spend a lot of time crawling around old dillapidated houses and warehouses in the dark.

Still, By RAW, unless an are has LoS to a lightsource, it's pitch black.

IC:

To the north, the corridor turns east after 20'.

To the south, it turns west after 20'.

There's a door east after 15' south.

sleepy
2010-04-21, 12:22 AM
OK, back from my exams. Might as well keep up the mapping...

{table="width=18em"]|1.|2.|3.|4.|5.|6.|7.|8.|9.|10.|11.
{colsp=12}
a.||x|x|x||x|?|||||
b.||x|x|x||x||||||
c.||x|x|x||x||||||
d.||x|x|D||x||||D||
e.||||D|x|x|x|x|x|x|?|
f.||||x||x||||||
g.||||x||x||||||
h.||||x|?|x|D|?||||
i.||||x|?|x||||||
j.|||?|x|?|||||||
k.||||||||||||
[/table]

...kinda weird lookin'. Is that branch from the south corridor supposed to line up with the other one?

Seth creeps along the south branch, careful now, pausing at G6 to peep around corners.

term1nally s1ck
2010-04-21, 04:26 AM
Yeah, they line up.

Nothing else to see down this corridor, unless you want to open the door.

However, 5' from the intersection, make a reflex save.

sleepy
2010-04-21, 10:06 PM
reflex [roll0]

gone and got complacent.

edit: that's awesome.

term1nally s1ck
2010-04-22, 12:08 AM
you fall down a hole.

[roll0] falling damage

sleepy
2010-04-22, 08:00 PM
:smalleek: one hit point left

Seth swears around a bloody lip and examines the pit trap.
search [roll0]

term1nally s1ck
2010-04-22, 08:09 PM
It's 20' deep, 5' wide, and a big hole in the ground.

sleepy
2010-04-22, 11:01 PM
Sounds about right.

Provided I don't hear anything strange [roll0] I'll sling the end of a rope up and try to catch the grappling hook on something (dexterity check?) [roll1].

That should be an auto-success to climb out of if it succeeds, yes? A rope with a wall (dc 5) in a corner (-5 to dc)?

term1nally s1ck
2010-04-23, 08:16 AM
And a chimney, since it's only 5' wide, for a DC of -10. Can you make that? :smalltongue:

sleepy
2010-04-23, 09:06 AM
It suddenly feels very awkward that all of my healing abilities require combat. At least I have Steely Resolve to increase the chances I get to actually land some of said healing...

Ok, I'll climb out on the south side of the pit then. I'm assuming it takes up the entire corridor? Also, since I already went that way, I can assume the parralel corridor is safe up to the connecting hallway?

I search EVERYTHING on this side of the pit, including my escape route. Given I'm at 1hp, I'll even take 20 :p

Assuming that's all too little too late, I'll go ahead and open the door.

term1nally s1ck
2010-04-23, 09:18 AM
Opening the door reveals the following room:
{table]|A_|B_|C_|D_|E_
1|||||
2|||||
3|||||
4||||B|H[/table]
There is a door at A-2, another at E-4, south side and another at E-3. There is a human wearing a chain shirt and holding a longsword standing behind a beast with patchy dark fur that covers its unhealthy shrunken black skin in some places. Open sores dot its hide and a feral, catlike head glances with it's blank eyes at the wall in front of it.
Initiative:[roll0]

sleepy
2010-04-23, 10:21 AM
Seth braces himself behind the bulwark of his shield.

initiative [roll0]

hp: 1/11 AC: 19 Touch: 13 Flat: 16 Saves: +4/+4/+0

Delayed Damage: 0/5

Granted Maneuvers: [roll1] [roll2] [roll3]

--crusader's strike
--stone bones
wolf fang strike
charging minotaur
--douse the flames
My thought for maneuvers is that ungranted maneuvers are numbered 1 to n from top down, and the order stays the same unless I re-select my readied maneuvers in the usual manner. Here I've used the order they appear on my character sheet.

term1nally s1ck
2010-04-23, 02:48 PM
The human takes a step forward, and fires acid at you.

[roll0] touch attack for [roll1] acid damage.

The creature blinks out of existence.

sleepy
2010-04-23, 06:37 PM
Eyes ablaze with pain and anger, Seth sweeps an arc through the room and lays into the sickly cat.

sorry, the cat hasn't moved? I assume not, since you didn't mention it.

Move action to E3 via E2 (guessing the door at A2 is the one I'm at).

Standard action: crusader's strike targeting the cat.
attack: [roll0] damage: [roll1]

If I hit, the maneuver heals me for [roll2], and my stance heals me for a further 2hp. If I miss, I lose the game.

If I survive, I finish my turn with 6hp then.

granted maneuver: [roll3]
x-crusader's strike
--stone bones
wolf fang strike
--charging minotaur
--douse the flames

term1nally s1ck
2010-04-23, 06:39 PM
It blinked out of existence...I did say...

ALSO, I JUST LOST THE GAME. I HATE YOU NOW.

sleepy
2010-04-23, 06:39 PM
Oh, I thought you meant the human. In that case I target mr. Orb of Acid.

term1nally s1ck
2010-04-23, 06:44 PM
Aaaaand, the million-dollar question....does it hit or miss?

Well, his Base AC is 10+armor+dex.

The armor is a chain shirt, so that's 4.

His dex, as shown in the RTA, is a +2 bonus....16AC, so you die. Play again?

sleepy
2010-04-23, 06:50 PM
-_- missed the live or die roll by 1. Killed by a 2hp attack. Ouch. Shoulda taken weapon focus.

Yeah, sure. I'll go again.

term1nally s1ck
2010-04-23, 06:52 PM
Same procedure, but maybe jump over that pit this time?

sleepy
2010-04-23, 07:56 PM
Ok... so, we just pretend I didn't roll a 1 on my reflex save then. Yeah, otherwise things should be about similar.

term1nally s1ck
2010-04-23, 08:04 PM
Well, given that IC knowledge is allowed...you could just avoid the square it's in?

{table]|A_|B_|C_|D_|E_
1|||||
2|||||
3|||||
4||||B|H[/table]
There is a door at A-2, another at E-4, south side and another at E-3. There is a human wearing a chain shirt and holding a longsword standing behind a beast with patchy dark fur that covers its unhealthy shrunken black skin in some places. Open sores dot its hide and a feral, catlike head glances with it's blank eyes at the wall in front of it.

sleepy
2010-04-24, 06:42 PM
Seth braces himself behind his shield with a vague sense of deja vu.

init: [roll0]
maneuvers: [roll1] [roll2] [roll3]

I don't have any actions outside of initiative that I can think of (aside from aoo's) so you should probably just roll my init rolls. Would speed things along a touch.

term1nally s1ck
2010-04-24, 09:27 PM
Another acid splash:

[roll0] vs flatfooted touch for [roll1] acid damage.

sleepy
2010-04-25, 03:32 AM
Seth dashes toward the impertinent caster and unleashes a feral assault.

That's a miss, then. Same move pattern, then Wolf Fang Strike targeting the human. And this time remembering my Skirmish damage. Note that I'm using my shield as my mainhand weapon, as my sword is light.

attack: [roll0] damage: [roll1] + [roll2]
attack: [roll3] damage: [roll4] + [roll5]

hp: 11/11 AC: 19 Touch: 13 Flat: 16 Saves: +4/+4/+0

granted maneuver: [roll6]
crusader's strike
--stone bones
x-wolf fang strike
--charging minotaur
--douse the flames

edit: my rolling is SO AWESOME :p

term1nally s1ck
2010-04-25, 07:06 AM
The human, emboldened by your apparent lack of combat prowess, swings his sword at you:

[roll0] for [roll1] minimum 1.

sleepy
2010-04-25, 05:48 PM
Seth leans aside and lashes out with the point of his shield, following closely with several low thrusts from his sword.

Whiff.

Full attack.
shield [roll0] damage [roll1]
sword [roll2] damage [roll3]

granted maneuver: (1)
--crusader's strike
--stone bones
x-wolf fang strike
--charging minotaur
--douse the flames

term1nally s1ck
2010-04-25, 06:19 PM
As the shield hits him in the face, the human is slightly more worried. He'll 5' step away, and fire a spray of colors at you.

sleepy
2010-04-25, 06:40 PM
First off, as far as I understand he can't 5 foot step out of my threatened area from this position. Do I get an opportunity attack?

term1nally s1ck
2010-04-25, 06:42 PM
He's next to the door, sorry, I forgot to mention that he opened it first.

sleepy
2010-04-25, 06:43 PM
...doesn't door opening provoke?

term1nally s1ck
2010-04-25, 07:06 PM
Surprisingly, no. I was sceptical, too, but the SRD agrees.

sleepy
2010-04-25, 08:53 PM
Alrighty then. I guess I roll a will save. [roll0]. This is about to suck isn't it.

term1nally s1ck
2010-04-25, 08:58 PM
Saved. Your move.

sleepy
2010-04-25, 09:03 PM
Oh hey, that was unexpected. In the event that I pass with an 18 and the cat isn't showing up, I'll try to chase him down. ninja'd Incidentally, what do I see behind the door?

if the critters are finished:

5 foot step south
full attack
shield [roll0] damage [roll1]
sword [roll2] damage [roll3]

granted maneuvers: [roll4] [roll5] [roll6]
crusader's strike
--stone bones
--wolf fang strike
--charging minotaur
douse the flames

term1nally s1ck
2010-04-25, 09:07 PM
Well, he's standing on a red and white bullseye.

Hit and kill, 150XP, chain shirt, longsword...if you dare drag him off that bullseye.

sleepy
2010-04-25, 09:13 PM
First up, I'll take a move action to attempt to Spot anything that may or may not be an invisible, etherial, or otherwise undetectable cat thing, and ready an action to Wolf Fang Strike anything that enters or appears in my threatened area.

If nothing happens, repeat twice.

spot [roll0]
spot [roll1]
spot [roll2]

If there's still nothing, I'll return to the last room and take 20 to search, paying particular attention to the wall the cat was staring at.

term1nally s1ck
2010-04-25, 09:15 PM
You do not find the illusion.

You find the wall.

sleepy
2010-04-25, 09:17 PM
Search the new room, then.

term1nally s1ck
2010-04-25, 09:31 PM
This corridor goes 5' east before turning north, and 45' west before turning south. Northern split after 35'.

There's a red and white painted bullseye on the floor just outside the door.

sleepy
2010-04-25, 09:58 PM
Okay then. From a safe distance, I'll get a good hold on the body with my grappling hook. Then, from around the corner, I'll haul him in. Search carefully, and if nothing new turns up, I'll wave the longsword about to see if I detect any odd properties.

term1nally s1ck
2010-04-26, 12:37 AM
No, the first CR1 encounter does not have a magic sword. :smallsigh:

Nothing odd to be found.

sleepy
2010-04-27, 01:59 AM
"magic" is a big category. +1? No, not from that guy. Curious macguffin with a purpose to be revealed later? Entirely plausible :p

RAW you can't move diagonally past a corner, right? I'd jump over the bullseye if I can do that. If I can't, I'll open the door on the east wall (my search of that room included this door, right?) which I assume puts me in the same corridor.

term1nally s1ck
2010-04-27, 02:15 PM
out the east door, the corridor goes north 10' and turns east, and south 10' before turning west.

sleepy
2010-04-28, 05:22 PM
Search and examine the bullseye and surrounding area from the corridor, using the west door. I don't step on it. If nothing, I proceed north, moving quietly, eyes keen for more pits, and generally taking lots of precautions.

spot [roll0]
move silently [roll1]
hide [roll2]
listen [roll3]

term1nally s1ck
2010-04-28, 05:51 PM
Oh, my bad, the desc I gave was for the western door.

Anyway, the eastern door is as it was, and the bullseye is a bullseye. Made of paint.

sleepy
2010-04-30, 04:33 PM
Ok I'm confused then. What's behind the eastern door? I can't go north from there?

term1nally s1ck
2010-04-30, 04:39 PM
Hang on, I'm getting my easts and wests confused.

The eastern door is the one I described, the southern door is the bullseye, and the western door is the one you arrived through.

sleepy
2010-04-30, 04:44 PM
so... nothing was backwards? North it is then, up the corridor reached through the east/right/non-arrival door, as described earlier?

term1nally s1ck
2010-04-30, 05:03 PM
Yeah, sorry about that.

The corridor now goes 20' east before turning north.

After 15', there's a door to the south.

sleepy
2010-05-05, 07:45 PM
I'm not gone, but my computer is. Will resume when that is rectified.

sleepy
2010-05-07, 05:07 AM
Alrighty, things looking better... is this what I'm looking at then?

1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6. 7. 8. 9. 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

a. |¯ ¯¯ ¯| |¯¯ ?
b. | | | |
c. | | | |
d. |_ __ | | | D
e. | === === == == _= ?
f. | | | | ?
g. | | | | |¯ ¯¯ ¯¯ ¯¯ ¯||¯¯ == == ¯= _|
h. | === === || | D
i. | | | | | |
j. | | | | |_ __ __ __ || |
k. /¯ __===___=== == == == == @=__|
l. ?

term1nally s1ck
2010-05-07, 10:28 AM
O_o

Wha?

My bad, I guess..

http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/5703/nedmapsleepy.jpg (http://img405.imageshack.us/i/nedmapsleepy.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

sleepy
2010-05-12, 09:41 PM
Sorry, I do still exist. I'm out of town, preparing to move, it's been very busy.

Search/check my way towards the door furthest right, in the new hallway then. If the door turns up clean too, I'll push it open from a square away.

hide: 1d20+3
move silently: 1d20+3
spot: 1d20+3
listen: 1d20-1

sleepy
2010-05-12, 09:42 PM

term1nally s1ck
2010-05-12, 11:58 PM
{table]|A_|B_|C_|D_|E_
1|||||
2|||||
3||||1|
4|||||
5||||| [/table]
There is a door at B5, and another at B1. There is an orc in the middle of the room. It holds a Ripper and wears a chainmail, as well as a pair of goggles.