PDA

View Full Version : Teleportnig and projecting into AMF (3.5)

Balor01
2010-04-15, 01:51 AM
Say there is a house in the prairie (little one. the house. not the prairie) and has a permanent AMF on itself, emanating from the centre of the house.

You teleport yourself into a living room. What happens?

You astral project yourself into a living room. What happens?

(as for teleport I was thinking one just "drops" into AMF, suddenly disenchanted, while AP just fails.)

tnx

Trekkin
2010-04-15, 02:01 AM
I'm fairly sure that without an accessible exit point, the teleport simply fails (or returns you to your entry point, which is the same thing, functionally speaking). In effect, you're making a you-shaped portal to your destination centered on your location. Without the other end, it's not a portal, so you end up back where you started; the point of teleportation is that you never cross the intervening space, so the exact boundaries of the AMF don't matter.

As for astral projection, unless the little house on the prairie's on the astral plane, it's not going to affect it.

Balor01
2010-04-15, 02:16 AM
As for astral projection, unless the little house on the prairie's on the astral plane, it's not going to affect it.

Wut? AP can not exist in an AMF.

Trekkin
2010-04-15, 02:39 AM
I'm assuming you have your AMF on the Prime Material Plane or its closest equivalent. AP sends you through the Astral; unless you want to reenter in the AMF, it isn't going to matter.

I suspect, though, that throwing an astral projection through an AMF ends the effect.

Balor01
2010-04-15, 02:46 AM
I suspect, though, that throwing an astral projection through an AMF ends the effect.

ok ...

I'm assuming you have your AMF on the Prime Material Plane or its closest equivalent. AP sends you through the Astral; unless you want to reenter in the AMF, it isn't going to matter.

Assumption is correct, but whot does AP sending caster trough astral plane have with being dispelled when AP reaches AMF?

Trekkin
2010-04-15, 02:49 AM
Just that it's not like most movement spells in that putting an AMF in between you and your destination isn't going to stop you.

hewhosaysfish
2010-04-15, 06:57 AM
It's a complete house-rule but I would treat teleporting into an AMF the same as teleporting into a solid object i.e. you are shunted to the nearest available space and take damage.

Astral Projection is more interesting... I assume you mean that the caster uses the AP spell, creating an astral body for themselves on the Astral Plane, then plane shifts (or whatever) themselves (that is to say, their astral body) back to the Material and just tries to walk into the AMF.

My first thought was be to treat them like a summoned creature or incorporeal undead, "winking out" until the AMF ends.

On second thoughts, this would really, really hurt anyone it happened to: your body is still helpless, there's still that silver cord hanging vulnerably in the ether and you can't do a thing (permanently, in a permanent AMF!).

On third thoughts, AP is an awful spell anyway which can only be used for two things: 1) A slower, more dangerous and more limited version of plane shift which takes up a higher level spell slot and requires an expensive material component (and can't be used to banish your enemies to the Elemental Plane of Water); and 2) cheese. So maybe a hefty nerf won't hurt things after all.

tyckspoon
2010-04-15, 10:12 AM
RAW, you can teleport in and out of AMFs all you want; it's an Instantaneous Conjuration. As people are more likely to actually play it, I would guess you would be allowed to teleport in (the teleportation is the result of an instant Conjuration that you cast elsewhere) but would have to find a different way out.