PDA

View Full Version : Odd Things about you!

Lord Loss
2010-04-15, 05:17 AM
In a bold attempt to get the playgrounders to know each other better, I have created the Odd Things About You thread, in which we recount strange things about ourselves for no purpose I can thing of at the moment. I'll start by saying:

1. I do not feel pain in my head. It runs in the family.

2. I am able to completely shut down my sense of smell through use of a breathing technique.

3. I have triangular eyebrows.

Amiel
2010-04-15, 05:21 AM
How do you have triangular eyebrows? Pics or it never happened :smallamused:

I am double-jointed in my elbows.
I have very poor circulation in my extremities; thus I need gloves or girls to hold my hands. :smallcool:
I have a two inch-long scar running horizontally across my left shoulder; it is still visible to this day.
My wrists, both wrists, crack loudly; I broke my left wrist in high school.
I can roll my eyes into the back of my head until the whites are showing; it's great at Halloween parties.

Thursday
2010-04-15, 05:41 AM
My nose clicks loudly when pressed. Apparently it was once broken, (according to doctors) but I have no memory of that happening.
(and no I didn't go to a doctor just about that!)
Good for freaking the squeamish though.

There are other things too, but they are more distinctive, so not going there.

Castaras
2010-04-15, 06:13 AM
I have an obsessive nature - in that, I will do one thing and only one thing for a while (normally between a week and a month), then will drop it and move on to do something else obsessively. Currently it's a combination of Civilisation 4 and Mount and Blade, likely to change sometime in the future.

Shikton
2010-04-15, 06:22 AM
I can dislocate my shoulder and pop it back in. A skill often used when sleeping.

When I was younger I fell on my head and cracked my skull. Left me paralysed for a while, but luckily I recovered.

I'm very very pale, but I freckle easily. My theory is that, instead of getting an even tan, the color is concentrated in many small spots.

That's a bit about me.

Mauve Shirt
2010-04-15, 09:14 AM
I can disconnect my jaw. I often accidentally do so when yawning.
My veins are so visible I hear people say "Why did you draw on yourself in blue marker?" The nurses at JHH love it.
I have a magic connection to the surgeons at JHH through my scar. It itches whenever they're angry.

Coplantor
2010-04-15, 09:29 AM
I can bend back matrix style!
I've been told hat I speak in an odd manner, although I'm not quite sure about what they mean.
I can roll my eyes like Amiel (I had a lot of fun scaring some kids a couple of years ago)
I am very silly in real life, I've een told that I should stop whatever I'm doing and take acting classes, wich I would, if I had the time.
Half the time I cant breathe through my nose.
I hardly realize that I have a fever untill I have a very high temperature.
And I can move my eyes really fast.

Lord Raziere
2010-04-15, 09:34 AM
I can put my foot behind my head.

I can put my thumb behind my fingers.

my favorite word is one I made up myself: kabooschnob.

whenever I sneeze, I sneeze twice.

I have never been good at sleeping, even when I was a kid.

I haven instinctual urge to be cynical around idealists and to be idealistic around cynics, I do not know why.

Dogmantra
2010-04-15, 09:46 AM
The general populace, 90% of the time, will disagree strongly with any of my opinions. The stronger I hold them, the more strongly they will disagree.

I can bend my little finger of my left hand pretty much right the way round and it's kinda freaky.

I know that there are plenty of other people able to wiggle their ears through manipulation of their jaw muscles, but I can do mine individually and I've not met anyone else who can.

Adumbration
2010-04-15, 09:50 AM
I've got a vertical, white scar right between my eyes.

Yes it looks like a bloody lightning, goddammit. :smalltongue:

Dogmantra
2010-04-15, 09:51 AM
Oh, also, I apparently have the uncanny ability to look like about fifty different kinds of animal, and several celebrities when I actually look like none of them.

Mystic Muse
2010-04-15, 10:03 AM
I have never been good at sleeping, even when I was a kid.

I personally suggest Melatonin. It's an over the counter sleep aid.

I have a big scar all the way across my head shaped like a lightning bolt from brain surgery.

I can't get to sleep for 5 hours if I don't take Melatonin.

and that's about it.

Coplantor
2010-04-15, 10:04 AM
I know that there are plenty of other people able to wiggle their ears through manipulation of their jaw muscles, but I can do mine individually and I've not met anyone else who can.

I want to be like you when I grow up

Neko Toast
2010-04-15, 10:06 AM
-I can wiggle my ears. This includes wiggling them at the same time, and wiggling one or the other by itself.

-I can raise one eyebrow, but only my left one.

-I have two lumps on my left ring finger. It's a scar from when another kid cut me with scissors in kindergarten. It was face-painting day; I was a deer, and he was some sort of carnivorous animal. You can connect the dots from there.

-I am 5' 11" tall. This is unnaturally tall for a woman. I am also the 2nd shortest person in my family, my mom being the shortest at 5' 8".

Djinn_in_Tonic
2010-04-15, 10:09 AM
Hmmm...

I can go for up to 6 days at a time without sleep, and sometimes have no choice but to do exactly that.
I function perfectly fine on 3.5 hours of sleep a night.
I can manipulate my shoulder blades enough to crush a soda can, or grab something off a table with my back.
I had speech therapy when I was about 2 years old because my parents wanted to remove the Scottish accent I was developing. 16 months later, I was back at the therapist, this time to remove the Schwarzenegger accent I was developing. I lived in Pennslyvania, have no Scottish or German ancestry for at least a couple generations, and was never exposed to either accent prior to this occurrence.
I can solve a Rubik's cube, but only when not concentrating on it.

Dogmantra
2010-04-15, 10:11 AM
-I can wiggle my ears. This includes wiggling them at the same time, and wiggling one or the other by itself.

I think it's fate. We have to marry each other and pass on this gene.

Coplantor
2010-04-15, 10:13 AM

I want to see you ear wiggling offsprings

Also, I can raise both my eyebrows individually, although the left one does not raise as much as the right one

Zunami
2010-04-15, 10:14 AM
10% of all my friends think that I'm a werewolf... And I'm freakin' serious about it, for some odd reason... Okay actually I can understand why a supersticious person would reach that particular conclusion if you look at the past events I've lived through with those 10% of my social circle. It's still weird though!

I can move my ribcage, withoout the use of my lungs, even one side without the other.

I can wiggle my ears, individually too, but unfortunately due to an old injury (broken jaw that was never treated), some muscles in my face are harder to move now, and I have to really concentrate to move wiggle my left ear and raise my left eyebrow. I can move my hair aswell!

My eyes refuse to stay the same colour. One month they are definately azure blue, the next they are grayish and suddenly they start turning green only to become blue again. I've made some tests, it's got nothing to do with the lighting.

Spiryt
2010-04-15, 10:14 AM
Hmmm...
I can manipulate my shoulder blades enough to crush a soda can, or grab something off a table with my back.

You mean those flat bones in the back?

But... how? :smalleek:

Coplantor
2010-04-15, 10:16 AM

If I had to guess, sheer awesomness I'd say.

Mystic Muse
2010-04-15, 10:20 AM

Can I come to the wedding?

Haruki-kun
2010-04-15, 10:22 AM
I eat once every three hours or so, for a total of 6 meals a day. I get very, very, very hungry otherwise. My metabolism is somewhat accelerated.

Player_Zero
2010-04-15, 10:23 AM
I have a fairly abnormal personality.

Syka
2010-04-15, 10:27 AM
I don't get fevers or throw up. Not as good as it would seem.

Fevers help the body fight off infections and those who don't have fevers (pretty much ever...like me) have a tougher time getting well and staying well.

As for throwing up...it helps get rid of icky things that shouldn't be in your body. It generally takes some sort of medicine to cause me to do this, however. I've thrown up 3 times in the last 11 years. 1 because I coughed too hard right after eating, 1 from antibiotics/pain medicine interacting, 1 time from Pepto failing at it's job.

drengnikrafe
2010-04-15, 10:28 AM
If I don't pick a new, random, socially unacceptable object to wear every month, I become depressed (right now it's a blanket in place of a coat).
If I rant, and it contains no words of more than 3 syllables, I will add one such word in, even if it doesn't fit.
I have an aptitude for learning.
My only known pet peeve is the word "legit". It makes me twitch, and then it makes me very angry.

Coplantor
I have a fairly abnormal personality.

You sir, just won the thread.

Cyrion
Two toes on my left foot are webbed together.

I have a scar (very faint now) from a juggling torch accident in college.

I can cross either of my eyes individually.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2010-04-15, 10:35 AM

My shoulder blades aren't flat. When I move my arms and shoulders, my shoulder blades move with them. I have about an 8 inch wide, 4 inch tall area of my back that I can move them around it, which allows me to, for example, crush a soda can, pick up something, or hold something in between my shoulder blades. I've been told it's rather creepy to watch.

Mystic Muse
2010-04-15, 10:46 AM
oh yeah. I don't gain weight from eating junk food.

Deth Muncher
2010-04-15, 10:50 AM
I'm Jewish.:smallcool: But I think most people already know that hereabouts. So let's see...

My hair grows at a rate inversely proportional to how long it is: as in, when my hair is short, it grows really fast. When it's longer (about shoulder-length) it slows to a crawl. It takes me about...eh, 3-4 months for it to be at my shoulder-blades, which I cannot use to crush things.

I can understand a language (to the extent that a 4 year old understands language) after just a week of seeing it. This is limited to written language, however - I barely understand my own language when people speak it. Also, after a day of not seeing a language, I forget it. Unless I study it, that is, but that's a different story.

I play the euphonium, an instrument which only five people outside of band have ever known what it was when I said it.

I hate lots of things. But not you guys. Well...maybe arguskos, but for reasons he and I know well enough. :smallwink:

Djinn_in_Tonic
2010-04-15, 10:54 AM
My hair grows at a rate inversely proportional to how long it is: as in, when my hair is short, it grows really fast. When it's longer (about shoulder-length) it slows to a crawl. It takes me about...eh, 3-4 months for it to be at my shoulder-blades, which I cannot use to crush things.

I play the euphonium, an instrument which only five people outside of band have ever known what it was when I said it.

...Are we the same person? 'Cause it looks like that (save for the shoulder blade exception, o' course. :smallbiggrin:).

Mystic Muse
2010-04-15, 10:56 AM
...Are we the same person? 'Cause it looks like that (save for the shoulder blade exception, o' course. :smallbiggrin:).

Well, if he was the same person and you didn't know it, that would imply you had multiple personality disorder or something like that. In which case you should seek professional help.

Isak
2010-04-15, 10:56 AM
I ALWAYS sneeze twice... And extremely loudly.

I can drink a sickening amount of Energy Drinks without feeling anything. 20+ cans in a period of two or three hours.

My tongue is pretty long compared to anyone else I know... I can almost reach the bottom of my chin, as well as the tip of my nose. A lot of people in my area can't do this for some reason... :smallconfused:

I have an... Almost obsessive compulsive aspect where once I sit down to play an RPG... I will play it as much as humanly possible until it's beaten. The first week I owned Dragon Age: Origins, I beat it twice. Mass Effect 2? 3 Days. The most extreme case is one of my characters in the game Everquest. Last time I played him; I had logged over 2 continuous months of game play. And I have two other characters that rival that time. (Everquest has been out since 1999... I started playing in 2000. Those three characters play-time amounts extend over a period of 6-7 years)

Egiam
2010-04-15, 10:58 AM
I can close my nose... and wiggle my ears... I pay attention in class... I actually like the taste of black drip coffee... I appreciate both jazz and hard rock.

Mystic Muse
2010-04-15, 10:58 AM

My tongue is pretty long compared to anyone else I know... I can almost reach the bottom of my chin, as well as the tip of my nose. A lot of people in my area can't do this for some reason... :smallconfused:

are you maybe the Reincarnation of Gene simmons?

Adumbration
2010-04-15, 11:02 AM
Oh, and I usually sneeze when I go out in the sunlight.

Coplantor
2010-04-15, 11:04 AM
Well, if he was the same person and you didn't know it, that would imply you had multiple personality disorder or something like that. In which case you should seek professional help.

Huh, now that I think about it, have we ever seen them toghether?

Serpentine
2010-04-15, 11:07 AM
Oh, and I usually sneeze when I go out in the sunlight.Me too! It's a thing. Genetic or somesuch. Something to do with a wire getting crossed or something. Some small percentage of the population has it.

Like I said in SMBG, I'm thingy about what I drink. I can't drink water out of a dirty or smelly glass and I'm picky about what sort of water I have (though apparently not as picky in that regard as my aunt). I don't like tea or coffee, I bought 4 different types until I found a chai I like (and it still wasn't the one I was originally looking for), I always check juice for the one that's no preservatives, no flavours, no extra sugar, etc (can't STAND "fruit drink"), don't like plain milk, and have been slowly going off soft drinks over my life (never liked Pepsi or Dr Pepper (:yuk:), then went off Coke, then Fanta, then lemonade, haven't had a fire engine for a long time but I think it's too sweet for me... Pretty much the only one I still like is a lemon squash of some sort (e.g. Pub Lemon Squash, Solo, Lift)).

Lord Raziere
2010-04-15, 11:08 AM
oh yeah, I'm posting on this forum :smalltongue:

Mystic Muse
2010-04-15, 11:10 AM
Huh, now that I think about it, have we ever seen them toghether?

Have we ever seen them at all?

Mordokai
2010-04-15, 11:10 AM
I am probably the only person I know that prefer rainy days to sunny ones. In fact, I seem to be developing an aversion to sunlight. I also wastly prefer foggy days to clear days and cloudy sky to clear one.

No, I am not a Twillight fan. No, I am not a vampire. Nor a wannabe one. I also don't have photophobia. I just don't like sun.

Closak
2010-04-15, 11:11 AM
I have a thing for snakes, lizards and dragons.

Seriously...oh hi Serpentine...*Stares at avatar*

...*Slaps self out of stupor*

See what i mean? :smallredface:

Catch
2010-04-15, 11:14 AM
The joint of my right elbow is slightly out place, so that if lock my arm straight and rotate it clockwise (apparently this only works in one direction) it sounds like I'm crushing a handful of nuts.

A quirk of bone development left my sternum slightly shallower than it ought to be, but seen straight-on, an optical illusion makes it look as though I just have well-developed pectorals.

I've never pulled, sprained, torn, or broken anything in my body. Also, never been stung by a bee.

Going down a flight of stairs, I never use the bottom step - that one's for jumping.

As a kid, I'd always wave my hands in front of automatic doors to pretend I had Force powers, and I still do it, as just a flick of the fingers.

People can't tell my eyes are green from less than a few inches away. I remember distinctly when my last girlfriend snuggled up to me and said "You have such pretty blue eyes." Didn't let her forget it, either.

Mystic Muse
2010-04-15, 11:14 AM
I like snakes too. Just not in the same way Closak does.

however, I'm a guy so that isn't exactly strange.

Coplantor
2010-04-15, 11:17 AM
I've never pulled, sprained, torn, or broken anything in my body. Also, never been stung by a bee.

As a kid, I'd always wave my hands in front of automatic doors to pretend I had Force powers, and I still do it, as just a flick of the fingers.

NEver hurt myself in that way either, although I dont think it's odd, the only bee that ever stung me was dead, it was dead in the beach, I accidentaly steped on it and man was I an unlucky kid.

Regarding automatic doors/ stuff, who doesn't?:smallbiggrin:

Mystic Muse
2010-04-15, 11:18 AM
Regarding automatic doors/ stuff, who doesn't?:smallbiggrin:

me

Okay, yeah, that's a lie.

Coplantor
2010-04-15, 11:19 AM
me

Okay, yeah, that's a lie.

Really? Never ever ever pretended to have door opening psychic powers?

Silly me and my habit of not realizing there's white text

Closak
2010-04-15, 11:20 AM
Errr, i'm a guy to you know :smallannoyed:

And it's only the sentient ones in fantasy settings like D&D.

The ones here in real life are damn cute though, wouldn't mind one as a pet.

Serpentine
2010-04-15, 11:21 AM
I like snakes, reptiles and dragons, too, though not quite in the same way as Closak. Though I think he'd like an erotic fantasy I've planned out...

Mystic Muse
2010-04-15, 11:22 AM
Errr, i'm a guy to you know :smallannoyed:

Sorry. What I meant was that I'm a guy, so me thinking snakes are cool isn't exactly strange. Not that, because I'm a guy Not being interested in snake based bestiality was strange..

Serpentine
2010-04-15, 11:24 AM
I cite myself, and Agamid :smalltongue:

Weimann
2010-04-15, 11:25 AM
I always eat the edges of a sandwich or pizza before I eat the interior, unless it's baguette or other non-flat bread-like foodstuff.

I get unreasonably satisfied when I cross a rail-road track and the train then passes right behind me. I often laugh loudly or punch the air.

Opposite to many people here, I have a very easy time sleeping. I can go around on 6 hours, but 8 is vastly preferred.

I adore babies and long 'til I can have one. Strangely enough, I am more motivated to get a baby than a girlfriend/wife/mate (which isn't to say it would be nice with one of the latter as well).

Deth Muncher
2010-04-15, 11:29 AM

:O

I dunno, do you live in a major city for your state, drive a Jeeplike vehicle and hate people from Ohio?
I don't really hate Ohioans.

Ilena
2010-04-15, 11:50 AM
OOOOOk, well here goes.

- I can touch my tongue to my nose and chin,

- I can wiggle both ears independantly,

- My likes, dislikes, loves and hates (aside from horses) change depending on the day,

- I hate the sun, noone really understands whats its like to be light sensitive around here. Expecially mom .... (its actually because my pupils? Open wider but dont close as much as the average person, gives me better dark vision though :P)

- My body hurts, not all at once but anywhere from 1 - 5 points randomly hurt at any given time, not just joints but random locations, they change within 5 mins of hurting.

- I want to be a centaur more then anything else in the world.

- I love all animals aside from flys (they are bastards), and those vampire insects who shall not be named (grrr)

- I see people around me as extentions of my personality, or parts of me. Really weird but one person was defined as my anger and intellegence, another my sense of fun and ya ...

- For reasons i dont entirely understand but do not mind, almost everyone likes me.

- I am really wierd :S

Thats about all for now, theres more but ya

Adumbration
2010-04-15, 11:57 AM
Oh yes, and my hair color transforms with length. When it's short, it's almost white, but the longer it get's, the browner it turns.

Octopus Jack
2010-04-15, 12:05 PM
Let's see where to begin:

I lose control of my eyebrows while drinking alcohol,
I can find it hard to say good once, I usually have to say it twice.
I pick up and drop projects like crazy, going from idea to idea very quickly, at the moment I'm looking for people to help me start my very own street circus, any takers?
I always always correct people who use your or you're incorrectly but don't correct anything else.
My mood changes depending on the weather and any music I'm listening to.

Deth Muncher
2010-04-15, 12:08 PM
Let's see where to begin:
I can find it hard to say good once, I usually have to say it twice.

I'm psychotic good!

ORLY NAO? whitetext

Coplantor
2010-04-15, 12:08 PM
I pick up and drop projects like crazy, going from idea to idea very quickly, at the moment I'm looking for people to help me start my very own street circus, any takers?

Seems like we are two, although my last project was halted because Im overloaded with stuff from work and college. I'm in for the street circus!

People I;ve been compared to recently:
Will Ferrel
Jack Black
Jack Sparrow (specially if I had taken a couple of drinks)

Octopus Jack
2010-04-15, 12:10 PM
ORLY NAO? whitetext

That wasn't me saying that, tis a long story involving accidentaly slaughtering people for a good cause

Deathslayer7
2010-04-15, 12:16 PM
I can dislocate my ears now because i slept on them bent for years. This has also cause my ears to stick out at a good 30 degree angle from my head giving me the nickname Dumbo.

i can pop my knees without trying anytime i want. Same with my thumbs. This sometimes also happens when im just walking or when i put my hands together.

I stabbed myself on a chipped toilet cover wtih my elbow on the funny bone and laughed at the pain cause it tickled. I now have a scar there.

I dropped a huge piece of tile on my big toe cracking the toenail in half. It's been years now and i'm starting to believe it will never go away.

There is a bone sticking out at my knee joints that prevents me from fake falling onto my thighs (as i will hit the bone and that hurts). Sucks when i had to fake a fall in theater. Improvised by going on knees then keeling over.

I burn easily on my back due to having second degree sunburns as a kid. My back is also now covered in freckles because of it (upper).

Ilena
2010-04-15, 12:44 PM
Oh one other thing, i can taste plastic where there is almost noplastic at all or anyway that taste can get into water, and i absoluitely HATE it , makes the inside of my mouth feel sickening :S

HellfireLover
2010-04-15, 01:02 PM
I never get nosebleeds.

I associate the taste of blood with peace and comfort and will happily chew my own mouth to pieces rather than be sick.

I can draw with my feet, and cross my toes, even the little one.

I have a hair phobia and if I have to touch fallen hair, or pick up food which is fluffy from being on the carpet (cats!) I start to feel sick and develop a migraine. I don't mind hair when it's attached to people or animals, though.

t3h l3g1t m4g3
2010-04-15, 01:18 PM
I am terrified of dogs. I don't know why, I just am.

t3h l3g1t m4g3
2010-04-15, 01:20 PM
Oh, and I usually sneeze when I go out in the sunlight.

Same. I don't think I've ever met anyone else who that happens to.

Mystic Muse
2010-04-15, 01:25 PM
I am terrified of dogs. I don't know why, I just am.

Is your name Chandler Bing?:smallwink:

Starbuck_II
2010-04-15, 01:30 PM
In a bold attempt to get the playgrounders to know each other better, I have created the Odd Things About You thread, in which we recount strange things about ourselves for no purpose I can thing of at the moment. I'll start by saying:

I have a badly done circumcision (so I have to clean it every few weeks)
I can stick out my tongue and touch my nose with it.
I get zits on my tongue alot.
I can't stand spider webs (but I am okay with spiders)
I can make armpit sounds with my shoulders.

Cleverdan22
2010-04-15, 01:38 PM
I incessantly and correctly quote geek culture. That's unusual, right? Definitely on here, at least. :smalltongue:

Player_Zero
2010-04-15, 01:44 PM
Every time I read the title of this thread The Ramones starts playing in my head.

...You really know how to dance. When you go up down, jump around. Talk about about true romance, yeah.

Cleverdan22
2010-04-15, 01:45 PM
Thanks so much for getting that in my head.

CoffeeIncluded
2010-04-15, 01:53 PM
I love the sunlight and heat. Funnily enough, I was born in a heat wave.

I have an iron stomach. Unless I'm sick, there are very few things that make me gag/want to vomit/actually vomit.

For some reason, maggots and seeing something decay doesn't gross me out--As long as I'm separated from it. I'm grossed out by a rotting cucumber in the refrigerator, but not in an experiment. Maybe it's the smell...

This was possibly the cause of the above. I was about six, and I was making a pizza with mozzarella cheese that had been in the fridge for a while, and it had turned blue. I thought this was funny, and thought that it was like the blue cheese my dad eats, and cooked it anyway. When it tasted horrible, I wondered what was wrong. Then my mom found out and said that I was using moldy cheese, and actually ate moldy cheese. Cue gagging. I didn't get sick though; probably because I cooked it first.

d13
2010-04-15, 01:55 PM
* I've never been good at falling asleep, but I'm extremely good at sleeping.

* I can only raise my left eyebrow, if I try to do it one at a time.

* I have an easy time learning the basics of any given musical instrument, but take a looooong time to actually develop any kind of skills with it.

* I can lock the joint between the intermediate and proximal phalanges in all my fingers. Mostly because I broke nearly every one of them.

* I can semi-dislocate my jaw.

* Concentrated humidity makes me sick. It also brings a lot of pain to my hands, back, nose and left foot, because of several injuries.

* I have a scar in my back, but now is pretty much hidden because of my gf's fingernails' work (Don't ask. You can imagine the rest).

* I tend to space out when I have nothing to do at hand.

* My mood can greatly vary from one day to the next, with little to no provocation.

* Night > Day. Lycanthropes > Vampires. Pirates > Ninjas.-
Deal with that.

Cleverdan22
2010-04-15, 01:58 PM
I can do some crazy thing with my tongue shape that is impressive but has no practical application in things like kissing.

Chaotic Bob
2010-04-15, 03:06 PM
Look at me, participating in non-role-playing things...

-I have the amazing ability to make cats prefer me over their owners.
This gets me in trouble a bit, but I find it amusing. I'm a bit of a jerk that way.

-I very frequently have a memory on the grade of a goldfish's. Often I'll go upstairs to get a drink and forget what I was doing before reaching the refrigerator. Applies to people asking me to do things, which gets me in trouble as well.

-When I hear a song I like, I'll listen to it non-stop for several hours, to the exclusion of all else. Kind of annoying.

-I arrange candy's in color spectrum order before I'll eat them, often subconsciously. Hooray ROYGBIV.

-As someone else mentioned, I too always sneeze twice. Sometimes more, but never just once.

-I will read a book until it is done, ignoring everything else. Sadly, when I had to read the last Harry Potter book (which made me grumpy) I lost an entire Saturday.

-Mild dragon obsession.

Gitman00
2010-04-15, 03:10 PM
I can move my eyes independently of one another. It's fun for weirding people out.

I'm also good at noticing people's various neuroses, and I have a bad habit of aggravating them for my own amusement.

For example, I had a roommate who couldn't stand having cupboard doors open. He, our other roommate, and myself were in the kitchen having a discussion. Roommate 1 closes the cupboard next to me. Roommate 2 opens the cupboard next to him, and Roommate 1 walks over to close it, still continuing the discussion. I shoot Roommate 2 a knowing smirk, and open the cupboard next to me again. Roommate 1 walks back over and closes it without thinking about it. Roommate 2 opens the cupboard next to him, and so on. This went on for about 10 minutes before Roommate 1 caught on, mostly because the other two of us were finding it increasingly difficult to keep straight faces.

Cobalt
2010-04-15, 03:21 PM
I am incapable of getting a tan, which I have discovered by way of countless tries and experiments.

Every bone in my body will crack at the slightest movement the next time I move if I'm still for around five minutes.

I can chug three jumbo-sized bottles of water (or any drink, really) in under four minutes.

The last one is really just me bragging, but I don't care as that was a very good day.

Gitman00
2010-04-15, 03:24 PM
I can chug three jumbo-sized bottles of water (or any drink, really) in under four minutes.The last one is really just me bragging, but I don't care as that was a very good day.

Even milk? Try it, I dare you. :smallamused: And none of that sissy skim milk; gotta be at least 2%.

ForzaFiori
2010-04-15, 03:40 PM
lets see:
-I am terrified of spiders. Its getting better, since I can watch them on TV now without freaking out, but if one is in the room with me, I'll usually flip. After a few minutes, I can usually calm myself down enough to deal with it though.

-I have a black belt in two different styles of martial arts.

-I can move just the last joint on all my fingers.

-my right index finger pops whenever I want it to, and does it VERY loud. Annoys the crap out of teachers.

-I can tell when a storm is coming, because my leg starts to hurt where I had a stress fracture in it.

-I no longer have an appendix

-I have touched both my kneecaps (as in, no skin in between, just my finger touching bone), but never had stitches in my knees.

DeadManSleeping
2010-04-15, 03:50 PM
Ah, this looks like a fun distraction from what I'm supposed to be doing. Let's see. After I narrow it down from all the weird things that wouldn't be considered weird here...

-I, like at least one other person here, sneeze when the light level goes up significantly. Often. Not always.
-I have a Darwin's tubercle (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darwin%27s_tubercle) on one ear, but not the other. Because of the way the gene for that goes, that's supposed to be impossible.
-I was once told that I looked and sounded like Adam from Mythbusters. Years later, I have also grown a goatee and purchased a brown fedora, both for unrelated reasons. Yeah, it's pretty freaky at this point.
-I am, in general, ridiculously resistant to chemicals and diseases. Caffeine (and subsequent withdrawal) hardly affect me, the few times I get sick the effects are severely lessened, et cetera.
-While I don't think it's terribly uncommon, I love the smell and taste of fresh blood.
-I am right-handed in every way. Except that I throw markedly better with my left hand. I even used a left-handed catcher's mitt when I was a kid, and didn't realize how weird it was until a few years later my dad noticed it.
-Every single one of my senses is below average (incredibly so in the case of my vision). The stuff about the body developing to compensate is crock.
-I am a morning person. As soon as I stand on my feet, I'm as peppy as a hare. I've been told that's pretty uncommon.
-I have very fair skin, but it takes a full day of sun exposure (less where the sun is reflected/focused a lot, like beaches) to give me even slight sunburn.
-While my eyes do not have fully independent movement, I can cross one at a time. And also roll them completely up into my head.

That's all the inexplicable weird stuff, I think. Enjoy the wikipedia link.

Starbuck_II
2010-04-15, 03:58 PM
-While my eyes do not have fully independent movement, I can cross one at a time. And also roll them completely up into my head.

Wait, is that uncommon? Cause I can do that too.

My Mom once did that at her school to make another teacher think she was possessed.

Mando Knight
2010-04-15, 04:03 PM
are you maybe the Reincarnation of Gene simmons?

How can you be the reincarnation of someone who isn't dead?

Jokasti
2010-04-15, 04:20 PM

If they sold their soul to the devil, and Vrishnu got it at a bargain sale?

Jack Squat
2010-04-15, 04:27 PM
Every time I read the title of this thread The Ramones starts playing in my head.

...You really know how to dance. When you go up down, jump around. Talk about about true romance, yeah.

Just for the record, it's The Romantics (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6VGFyQBejU) that do that song. Poison recently did a cover, but I don't think the Ramones ever did.

OT:
I can fit through the area of a cinderblock (or, at least could the last time I checked), I've broken into friends houses when they invite me over and then aren't there* (especially true if I call to ask where they are and they tell me to make myself at home while I wait), and I'll do tasks that require more physical effort in order to save me time/walking distance - even if it's just hopping over one of those cart returns instead of walking a foot to the right to go around it.

*Note: I don't advise doing this, as while not (to my knowledge) illegal, as you have permission from the landowner to be there, it can be a little interesting to explain if cops are called.

Player_Zero
2010-04-15, 04:40 PM
Hey, if people mislabel their mp3s I'm going to treat it as fact. Go with the flow.

Mystic Muse
2010-04-15, 04:43 PM

They just want you to think he isn't dead. Just like they want you to think Elvis isn't alive and running a donut shop in Dayton.Yes, this is all a big joke..

also, if People missing parts counts I no longer have tonsils.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-04-15, 04:44 PM
Even milk? Try it, I dare you. :smallamused: And none of that sissy skim milk; gotta be at least 2%.
I was once told you can't drink a gallon of milk in under an hour without becoming violently sick.

So I got a gallon of my favorite chocolate milk and sipped it steadily. Had it down in 45 minutes. At the hour mark I relieved myself, and felt fine.

I believe it's really just a myth.

Orzel
2010-04-15, 05:34 PM
Let's see

I have a scar on my left eye. It's white and circular.
I have artificial lenses due to contract surgery.
Double joints: Shoulders, 4 fingers, and the joint between legs and pelvis.
I have stretch marks on my shoulders
I used to be able to play harmonica but my ability was erased by a knock on the head.
Taught myself algebra, trigonometry, and high school level chemistry and biology at age 10 (slept through and aced math and science 'til 12th grade).
If I drink coffee, it MUST be lighter than my skin on the back of my hand but darker than the skin on the palm of my hand or I feel sick.
My head is squishy like an orange. Women love poking my squishy head.
My skin is very elastic. It's like a useless superpower if combined with my double joints.

Shas aia Toriia
2010-04-15, 05:52 PM
Ah, this looks like a fun distraction from what I'm supposed to be doing. Let's see. After I narrow it down from all the weird things that wouldn't be considered weird here...

-I, like at least one other person here, sneeze when the light level goes up significantly. Often. Not always.
-I have a Darwin's tubercle (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darwin%27s_tubercle) on one ear, but not the other. Because of the way the gene for that goes, that's supposed to be impossible.

Same here.

Also, I've been told I look like Michael Cera. So much so that people have stopped me to tell me so.

Castaras
2010-04-15, 06:41 PM
I am probably the only person I know that prefer rainy days to sunny ones. In fact, I seem to be developing an aversion to sunlight. I also wastly prefer foggy days to clear days and cloudy sky to clear one.

No, I am not a Twillight fan. No, I am not a vampire. Nor a wannabe one. I also don't have photophobia. I just don't like sun.

This is me. O.o

Starbuck_II
2010-04-15, 06:46 PM
Me too. I perfer Rainy to sunny.

Also, when I sing outside it causes the wind to blow. Which happens alot since I listen to my Ipod when I walk to class.

llamamushroom
2010-04-15, 09:03 PM
I'm very short sighted, but my left eye is a lot worse than my right. Combine this with bifocal lenses in my glasses, and those weird children who ask "can I wear your glasses?" at the strangest times suddenly find themselves falling over, eyes watering in pain. I find this mildly amusing.

I have a sunken chest, but was "unaware" of it until earlier this year; my dad and brother both have it, too, so I just assumed it was normal and never noticed other people at the beach/pool/changing room. My poor, poor assumptions still haven't recovered.

Finally, the one which gets called out all the time: no, I am not English. I have never been to England. My accent is just an over-blown South Australian one, slightly influenced by English grandparents (well, Cornish, really, but they sometimes pretend not to be), and very influenced by my erroneous belief at 9 that the English accent was cool*. My voice never recovered.

*The Irish accent, however, is the sexiest accent there is.

Haruki-kun
2010-04-15, 09:28 PM
Is your name Chandler Bing?:smallwink:

Could that BE any more impossible? :smallwink:

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-04-15, 09:32 PM
Yes. It is.

Mystic Muse
2010-04-15, 09:35 PM
Could that BE any more impossible? :smallwink:

Yes. In order to be more impossible he'd have to have a somewhat stupid friend named Joey, two friends named Ross and Rachel that consistently get back together and break up. A wife named Monica, a friend named Phoebe and he'd have to have gone out with a girl named Janice who's laugh makes the Devil himself cringe.

FoE
2010-04-15, 09:36 PM
I don't get brain freeze from eating ice cream.

Mystic Muse
2010-04-15, 09:38 PM
I don't get brain freeze from eating ice cream.

thank you for mentioning ice cream. you reminded me to get my milkshake out of the freezer.

still hasn't soquified but I don't care at this point.

druid91
2010-04-15, 09:51 PM

Same, though I also have a high threshold for pain, I got impacted wisdom teeth and should have been in complete agony, instead it was mild irritation every once in a while.

Anuan
2010-04-15, 10:17 PM
I'm inhumanly handsome.

I'm naturally talented with hand-weapons. Not sure why.

My accent is fluid; if I hang around people, I pick theirs up.

I still show traces of hypervigilance; this comes from about ten years of being physically abused by my older brother. Traits include great difficulty in getting to sleep, and often reacting violently to surprise. My martial arts training has helped improve my discipline enough that I can usually keep it under control, but it's also improved my reflexes. So don't jump on me from behind.

I can do the eye-rolling thing mentioned earlier.

I don't let my musical tastes influence my clothing aesthetic or listen only to certain, related types of music. Apparently it's weird that I listen to celtic folk music back-to-back with underground rap and enjoy them equally for their individual merits.

I don't drink. This has garnered multiple surprised looks and unpleasant comments.

I don't hate on furries and have quite a few in my friends-list. Apparently this is odd too.

I'm hydrophobic.

I have too many weird things about me.

I love going places, but get terribly car-sick, and busses (and over-crowded trams, but not so much) make me even worse. I can be perfectly healthy, but too often on a bus I will develop a fever to the point I literally drip sweat, and be horribly nauseated. Trains are fine, and if they weren't so often impractical and finnicky.

waterpenguin43
2010-04-15, 10:21 PM

Make that two people. Although for me, I like the feeling of moisture, not an aversion to sunlight. I especially like the rainstorms in warm places, where I can be warm and wet at once. Also....
-I listen to music, but not because it sounds nice. I like the beat, and it helps my mind wrap itself into a new pattern. I play music to help myself imagine what I'm doing more.
-I have twenty minor alternate personalities, and I've named just about all of them.
-I have awful hayfever, but Spring is my favorite season.

arguskos
2010-04-15, 10:22 PM
I'm hydrophobic.
This would be awkward, at least, I'd think so. Makes swimming a pain, and showers too.

As for myself, I have nothing I wish to add to this thread, save that most of the stuff I'd put here would be deliberately personally degrading, since that's how I roll sometimes. :smallsigh: Perhaps that's an "odd" thing?

Anuan
2010-04-15, 10:31 PM
This would be awkward, at least, I'd think so. Makes swimming a pain, and showers too.

I don't go swimming. Part of the whole 'hydrophobia' thing. It's mild enough that showers don't effect me, since it's under my control and there's a drain blahblahblah, but rain makes me uncomfortable quite often.

arguskos
2010-04-15, 10:48 PM
I don't go swimming. Part of the whole 'hydrophobia' thing. It's mild enough that showers don't effect me, since it's under my control and there's a drain blahblahblah, but rain makes me uncomfortable quite often.
Well, YEAH, course one wouldn't swim. I'm just sayin', it'd suck. I like swimming. :smalltongue: I love rain too. I think that phobia might be up there with my least favorite possible phobias.

TFT
2010-04-15, 10:48 PM
I can find entertainment in everything, even if I know it is ridiculously stupid.
I can also flick in a way that it makes a loud noise(I'm told it looks like a crab claw)
I only sneeze once. Ironically, I have a friend that sneezes 3 times(The normal is 2, I believe)
I continue a conversation I had with someone within the hour because it was in the back of my brain

Rowsen
2010-04-15, 10:51 PM
I have fused earlobes.

Fuzzie Fuzz
2010-04-15, 10:53 PM
I'm freakishly skinny no matter what I eat.

I can wiggle my ears, both together or individually.

I can raise my eyebrows individually. (Or together, but everyone can do that. I think.)

I'm rather androgynous, or at least very feminine. I'm referred to as a girl by strangers at least 95% of the time. I do have long hair though, so that's part of it.

Superglucose
2010-04-15, 10:53 PM
I enjoy all of my dreams, especially the nightmares.

Blue Ghost
2010-04-15, 10:54 PM
For the past three weeks, I've been on an extremely aggressive recruiting campaign to get one of my friends to join the Playground. Limited success so far, but I think my luck is about to change.

GallóglachMaxim
2010-04-15, 11:03 PM

Unfortunately my first point is: I covered up my Irish accent when I moved to Australia so as not to be the foreign kid, it now only comes back if I'm concentrating very hard or very drunk (and I don't drink anymore)
- I have two ribs that occasionally dislocate due to pulling them out of place with a twisted intercostal muscle several years ago, the discomfort a few times a year is more fun than getting them cracked and fixed.
- I once tore the bit of skin that connects my tongue to the bottom of my mouth, so it's only attached right at the back. The story of how that happened is not appropriate for this forum.
- If I have time for it, I walk everywhere. Sometimes this includes mocking friends for wanting to take a taxi home, sometimes it means that I get in a few hours later than otherwise.
- Tapping on my chest or knuckles produces a loud hollow noise.
- I (and some other people) once set a former friend of mine on fire. Three times in one evening. At his request.
- When I was a kid I hated dreaming, so I used to wake myself up every time I had one. Now I almost never dream, but the ones I do have are surreal and interesting enough to keep me involved.

golentan
2010-04-15, 11:20 PM
Well, my left canine tried to grow in sideways (towards the right side of my mouth) necessitating surgery to prevent it knocking out my upper incisors.

On a related note, my version of the "Teeth falling out" nightmare is a little different from other people's.

My bones have never broken, and are apparently 20% denser than is typical even for a person with a calcium rich diet.

My teeth are also resistant to cavities.

I have half the testosterone typical for men.

I can sense the emotions and location of other people even with my eyes closed at short range (~90 feet, by testing).

I can visualize 4 dimensional shapes with great ease (serves me well in miegakure).

I am a science fiction geek, but have seen less than 3 hours worth of star trek footage in totality.

Bookworm42
2010-04-15, 11:22 PM
I have large grouch marx esque eyebrows which I can waggle individually or together, they're great for emphasizing a statement or winning a no laughing contest.

I can remember almost all of the random trivia and general schooling I have received, but I have forgotten people's names after I have known the for months.

TruorTupnm
2010-04-16, 12:25 AM
Double jointed hips have been mentioned before, and I think that what the llamamushroom person was typing about is the same as the pectus excavatum I've got, which is just a sternum that dips in rather than just being straight.
Aversion to light, sneezing when I bump into some, being able to cross all of my toes, and eyebrows that can be individually raised, as have been mentioned before, although I didn't think that those things were especially odd.
I have a double crown on my head. Makes my hair go all over the place.
My aural memory is superly awesome (I'm still humming songs that I heard only once and years ago, I never buy any music, since I can just remember it. The only bad thing is that I never care to remember where I heard it or who wrote it or whatever, but oh well), but I am horrible with the visual. Couldn't describe my own mother to you.

Coplantor
2010-04-16, 07:10 AM
I seem to be allergic to dirt and the beach, or sunny days in the open. I'm doomed to be a city dweller, not that I care though.

Serpentine
2010-04-16, 08:07 AM
On a related note, my version of the "Teeth falling out" nightmare is a little different from other people's.What's yours, and what's other people's?
It's mostly gone away now, but for a while I dreamt about my teeth falling out on a regular basis. They got clever, too: I once clued into it, because it'd been happening so often, and so pinched myself to wake myself up. It didn't work, so I naturally assumed it was really happening. Which sucked. Also a lot of the time the teeth falling out are huge, often wolf-sized canines.

ScottishDragon
2010-04-16, 08:13 AM
My accent is fluid; if I hang around people, I pick theirs up.

Thats what i have,I hate it!:smallfurious:

I do not feel pain like most people,it hurts and everything,but not as much as it hurts other people.This has been tested multiple times.

Chaotic Bob
2010-04-16, 08:55 AM
Oh hey, I snap up other people's accents too, if I don't think about it.
More common with the southern U.S. accent, but I've picked up others now and then.

Also tend to snatch up personality traits from TV shows and books I watch/read too much at one time. That gets unpleasant if the characters in question are unpleasant.

Starbuck_II
2010-04-16, 09:07 AM
What's yours, and what's other people's?
It's mostly gone away now, but for a while I dreamt about my teeth falling out on a regular basis. They got clever, too: I once clued into it, because it'd been happening so often, and so pinched myself to wake myself up. It didn't work, so I naturally assumed it was really happening. Which sucked. Also a lot of the time the teeth falling out are huge, often wolf-sized canines.

Hard to remember, kinda fuzzy:
Well, one time I was at a beach or something. And I ate something, and they started falling out. Can't really describe that one.

Yarram
2010-04-16, 09:23 AM
Many, many people think I look like McLovin' from SuperBad. I have never seen it.
I try to be one one that does the thing that no one is currently doing.
I like them, but I'm allergic to cat hair.
I miss Hot Crossed Buns...:smallfrown:
I sing loudly when I think I'm alone. The 2 kilometre walk to the train-station from my house is good for this.
I sing when I know I'm not alone but I'm doing some solitary task.
I don't look at whom I'm talking too, but can if I want.
I can't sit on a revolving chair without revolving.
I'm a consumer whore. And how!
I wear what's clean and closest.
I have a twin sister. We haven't lived together for years.

Zaggab
2010-04-16, 10:26 AM
Many of my joints make cracking noises whenever I move them in a certain way: My left jaw-joint, left shoulder, right sternoclavicular joint, both wrists and both hips. It usually goes away when I'm sufficiently warmed up. I can use the jaw thing to make people believe I'm chewing gravel.

I have a weird ability to make people I meet in person believe that I'm really smart and know everything... It even works on people who I think are extremely smart, and certainly much smarter than I am.

My wisdom teeth has started coming out, but the only one that's causing any trouble is the one on to the right on the lower jaw. Virtually the only time it bothers me is when I eat bread. It doesn't matter if it's crisp bread or soft bread, somehow it gets stuck in the tooth and causes pain.

The veins in the bends of my arms are so thin that no one has yet been able to draw blood from them - not even trained nurses. It sucks, because then I can't donate blood.

Serpentine
2010-04-16, 10:46 AM
Put the index and middle fingers of your right hand onto your left index finger, so that your right index is where the knuckle meeds the finger (where your finger bone proper starts) and your middle finger is further down towards the first finger joint. Push down with the middle finger gently, so you feel the movement of the knuckle joint with your index finger. When I do that, there's a sort of... inaudible click (if you know what I mean...), like it's cracked, except it doesn't make any sound, like something's shifting in there, clicking into place.
It's from a game of Marco Polo...

@^ My veins aren't that bad, but they're still frustrating. When I was little, I had to get some blood tests (suspected apendicitis. False alarm). They put numbing cream on the back of my hand, the inside of my wrist and the inside of my elbow. When they went in with the needle, I could feel it scraping on my bone (no pain, though). I think I felt it on my hand and wrist.
Now, they always end up going to a slightly odd place (usually to the side of the inside of my elbow), and I always make sure I give them the schpiel about my veins (don't want a repeat of the above without the cream!). Once the nurse put the tornique(sp?) on, started drawing, then took it off... which caused my blood to stop flowing. So she had to put it on again and fiddle around. I always tell nurses about that, so it hasn't happened again. There's always a good couple of minutes of getting slapped around before they try the needle, still...
I'm pretty scared of giving blood because of this v.v

Oh, on the topic: the first needle I remember getting was in kindergarten, and it was my mother who administered it. Still haven't forgiven her...

Dust
2010-04-16, 11:10 AM
I greatly enjoy showering while fully clothed, and do so usually 2-3 times a week.

Gitman00
2010-04-16, 11:10 AM
I was once told you can't drink a gallon of milk in under an hour without becoming violently sick.

So I got a gallon of my favorite chocolate milk and sipped it steadily. Had it down in 45 minutes. At the hour mark I relieved myself, and felt fine.

I believe it's really just a myth.

Or you're just a freak. :smallwink:

Seriously though, maybe it depends on the person. The last person I knew who tried that didn't just vomit; he projectile vomited.

Coplantor
2010-04-16, 11:11 AM
I greatly enjoy showering while fully clothed, and do so usually 2-3 times a week.

I feel compelled to try this out

Frozen_Feet
2010-04-16, 12:49 PM
I'm very short sighted, but my left eye is a lot worse than my right. Combine this with bifocal lenses in my glasses, and those weird children who ask "can I wear your glasses?" at the strangest times suddenly find themselves falling over, eyes watering in pain. I find this mildly amusing.

Oi, seems like I'm not the only one, then. I've even managed to prompt funny responses even from army mates. "Woah, I feel high" was my favorite.

RandomNPC
2010-04-16, 05:14 PM
Compared to those around me (friends family and co-workers) I have rather high morals. I do not hold others to this for things i know would be considered ok for most people i know, drugs and violent behavior, things like that? don't tell me you do those thin.s while alone in the room with me.

I'll spout off quotes of things unrelated to anything going on around me, firefly, shakespear, someone I work with, just to guage reactions of people.

I'm quiet around people untill I get to know them, not because I'm shy, I just habitually study people, trying to gauge them so I know how to fight them if they aren't who they claim to be. I have no reason to be suspicious,(read: paranoid) I picked it up after I heard my dad discribe how he does that when he goes to the bank, he's afraid of a robbery happening when he's at the bank. I've gotten good at it, for no reason I can think of.

Silly Wizard
2010-04-16, 09:59 PM
I have a foot fetish

Apparently, it's weird that I don't find pleasure or hilarity when someone hurts themselves.

I try to subtly throw in Star Wars quotes when possible

I don't like anyone that I hang out with on a normal basis (except for my girlfriend). My friends are the epitome of all the traits I hate in people, but I hang out with them anyways.

I hate elves, but many of my more successful characters were elves or half-elves.

Trog
2010-04-16, 10:05 PM
I pose as a humanoid lizard thing with a reputation for smoking and drinking on internet forums in my spare time. :smalltongue:

Nothing to see here. Move along. *puffs Coffin Nail™ Brand cigarette and mixes himself another White Russian*

Jallorn
2010-04-16, 10:12 PM
Where to begin?

Lord Raziere
2010-04-16, 10:13 PM
I also like spiderman, even though I hate spiders.

I am good at drawing, yet I have bad handwriting.

I'm also skinny no matter what I eat.

I like to change how I speak from time to time! Ya know, spekkin' diffrantly an'all that mate! I can also slurallmehwordstogether sometimes.

Roukon
2010-04-16, 11:23 PM
I very rarely remember my dreams. As in, about 10 dreams remembered in the last 20 years. When I go to sleep, I pretty much fall asleep and the next thing I know, it is 5-10 hours later (depending on how tired I am and if I've set an alarm clock). Between going to sleep and waking up, nothing comes to conscious memory in the morning. The few dreams I do remember are very vivid and almost more feel like memories than dreams until I realize that they don't correspond with other memories that I know are true.

Later Days,
Roukon

golentan
2010-04-16, 11:24 PM
What's yours, and what's other people's?

Mine has my Canine trying to eat my other teeth out by the roots until they fall out, while a crazed dental surgeon laughs as he cuts my gums...

Deth Muncher
2010-04-16, 11:25 PM
I have the ability to say things that will inevitably bring the wrath of Serpentine down upon me, whether either of us knows it at the time or not.

Serpentine
2010-04-17, 02:12 AM
Heh. Not necessarily that odd :smalltongue:
I am good at drawing, yet I have bad handwriting.My handwriting is so bad, I had to practice printing so my exams would be legible. This makes me sad, cuz I like running writing.

According to some, it's odd (to the point of unbelievability) that I can care about animals and be pro-animal rights, and eat meat.

Tavar
2010-04-17, 02:28 AM
Hmm...something odd? How about only breathing out of one nostril?

Dogmantra
2010-04-17, 03:38 AM
I try to subtly throw in Star Wars quotes when possible

I consider it an accomplishment if I manage to work at least three lines from They Might Be Giants songs into a conversation and still have a (semi-)coherent conversation.

Tiger Duck
2010-04-17, 04:02 AM
I have very little free will, if one asks me something I usually start doing it before I think about it. And left to my own devises I do nothing while time passes.

When I sneeze while walking I lift my right leg I also say Ach-niE while sneezing.

I hate getting my clothes dirty. But don't mind getting dirty myself (if I know when I'll be able to get clean)

I always wash my hands when I walk past a sink, even if there isn't really a reason to.

I love sleeping also I wake up at 6 no mater how late I went to bed.

I only need half a sentence to know what movie my sister is talking about.

Serpentine
2010-04-17, 04:16 AM
I often don't feel like doing something until I'm actually doing it, and if I see someone else doing (or eating) something, I'll want to also do (or eat) it.

llamamushroom
2010-04-17, 05:03 AM
Hmm...something odd? How about only breathing out of one nostril?

Everyone does that - most people just alternate which fairly frequently.

On the topic of sneezes, mine are epic. As in "everyone in the exam hall jumped out of their seats" epic. They have helped family members find me in crowd situations, though.

My coughs always sound horrible, something like whooping cough (pertussis), and have been used on several occasions to get out of PE tests despite me being completely fine.

And, to change topic like a faulty gearbox, my hair is dead-straight. Many people ask how often I straighten it - the answer is never. In order to prove this, I've had to deliberately not dry my hair of a morning and have my disbelieving friends watch it dry straight. It is also the only hair I know of to have a name; it is Balthazar.
Why does Chrome think Balthazar should be Waltham?

Balthazar says "hi".

Anuan
2010-04-17, 05:22 AM

It's great fun.

I enjoy showering in complete and utter darkness.

Amiel
2010-04-17, 06:12 AM
Speaking of bad handwriting...my handwriting is apparently so illegible that it has been compared to that of a doctors'.

My nose is so hypersensitive that I can detect smells and odours even my fellow humans cannot, the first thing I notice any where is the smell; this is all well and good except that I have to hold my breath even if the odour is only a little "flagrant" or risk the chance of conking out.

I am extremely graceful and dexterous on my feet, to the point that I can change direction in an instant and with such fluid grace that the entire action is one smooth whole; I've been complimented on this.

I am a master at pen tricks and coin tricks, to the point where friends and even strangers have sought me to instruct them.

I can't and don't touch type, I've never learned how. I, however, have memorised exactly where the keys are positioned so I can type faster than most. In group assignments, I'm always the one asked to type.

Player_Zero
2010-04-17, 06:13 AM
Ah. In addition to being fairly weird I also look fairly weird.

Dogmantra
2010-04-17, 06:24 AM
Speaking of bad handwriting...my handwriting is apparently so illegible that it has been compared to that of a doctors'.

I can't and don't touch type, I've never learned how. I, however, have memorised exactly where the keys are positioned so I can type faster than most. In group assignments, I'm always the one asked to type.

I have been told that my handwriting "would look really cool if I used a thinner pen" but unfortunately, my handwriting is only how it is because I use a fountain pen that's worn down so much it could be used for calligraphy. If I write with a biro, my handwriting's totally different. I guess that's odd.

Also I can't and don't touch type. Despite being the second fastest typer I know (the first, incidentally, cannot touch type even more: he looks at the keyboard and uses just index fingers, yet manages around 90 wpm), I type like a horrible, horrible person. I use my entire left hand for about 2/3 of the keyboard, and just my right index finger.

Anuan
2010-04-17, 06:33 AM

My nose is so hypersensitive that I can detect smells and odours even my fellow humans cannot, the first thing I notice any where is the smell; this is all well and good except that I have to hold my breath even if the odour is only a little "flagrant" or risk the chance of conking out.

These, too, though I don't conk out. Very sensitive sense of smell, though. Causes problems occasionally.

Amiel
2010-04-17, 06:37 AM
It needs to be said, we are awesome people.

Octopus Jack
2010-04-17, 08:03 AM
It needs to be said, we are awesome people.

Indeed we all are! :smallbiggrin:

PersonMan
2010-04-17, 10:26 AM
Since I was around 10, I could taste when milk was close to expiration. By 'close', I mean if there was, say, a week or so until it reached the 'sell by' date, I would think it tasted odd.

Also, since I dislike handwriting my writing is illegible. It even takes me a short time to decipher my script. The big problem this makes is that I smash my words and letters together, so that for a 1-page assignment I end up writing nearly twice as much as other people.

However, when I slow down my writing is pretty good.

Until recently, while waiting for the bus I would consider how I could dodge out of the way if passing cars suddenly swerved to try and kill me. I also tensed up when they got close.

I have a very fast metabolism, which leads to problems due to eating breakfast at 6 AM and lunch at 11:20.

I'm tall enough to impersonate people 3-4 years older than I am.

Atelm
2010-04-18, 03:17 AM
- I have Aquaphobia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aquaphobia) (Not Hydro, because I don't have Rabies. :smallamused:), but it only manifests itself when I'm swimming alone.

- I have never had cavities on my teeth, despite having at times a massive sweet tooth and usually only brushing once a day.

- My handwriting is so bad my own students (I work at times as a substiture teacher) have had to make me read everything I've written on a white/blackboard out loud. Needless to say, I've started writing exclusively with a computer in teaching related matters. (Writing transparencies on a computer, etc.)

- I have Strabismus (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strabismus), though it isn't really that visible anymore thanks to surgery years ago. The weird thing is that I can make my other eye, the one I am not "using" at the time, go all the way to the right or left edge (A tell tale sign of Strabismus), while my other remains perfectly stationary.

- I usually mix English phrases and words into my speech when talking in Finnish with anyone, unless the situation is formal enough that it would be a problem. I also regularly mumble in English, and occasionally in Japanese. Though for the latter, I make sure no one can hear me.

- I have become fairly fixated, in a non-creepy sense, with a particular nearly 100-year-old family ring, which belonged to my Great Grandfather. And when ever I'm visiting my Grandfather, I make sure to check up on the ring. This has prompted my brother to make a LotR reference to my relationship with that ring. :smallamused: Naturally, I'm interested in any and all other family "relics" to be found there, but that's the most obvious piece of obsession.

- I have a fairly mild case Asperger's, so one can bet I have plenty of oddities about me apart from these listed.

Deca
2010-04-18, 03:30 AM
I have very little free will, if one asks me something I usually start doing it before I think about it.

Really?

...Make me a sandwich!

As for myself, my only noticeable oddity is my psoriasis. I also have a fear of heights. But not a fear of falling off heights, just a fear of heights in general. In other words, I'm scared of hanging being near tall things. I keep getting the feeling that they could fall on me at any moment.

Elder Tsofu
2010-04-18, 03:56 AM
Since I was around 10, I could taste when milk was close to expiration. By 'close', I mean if there was, say, a week or so until it reached the 'sell by' date, I would think it tasted odd.

*looks at milk*
*notices that that there are only 9 days between packing and sell by date*
*Comes to the conclusion that either Swedish people or PersonMan are picky*

Odd things?
I'm quite normal, can flex my thumbs a bit over the joint so the back of them form a quite perfect 90 degree angle with the other fingers.
I like showering/bathing in complete darkness - especially in the mornings when it gives a smoother awakening for me. :smalltongue:
I usually prefer lower temperatures than the people around me, and usually find enjoyment in whatever weather we're currently having. (also quite apart from the people around me)

Anuan
2010-04-18, 04:14 AM
- I have Aquaphobia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aquaphobia) (Not Hydro, because I don't have Rabies. :smallamused:), but it only manifests itself when I'm swimming alone.

Nyerrr :smalltongue:. I was 'corrected' into saying hydrophobia at a young age, it continued for ages, and it's stuck that way.

Tiger Duck
2010-04-18, 11:40 AM
Really?

...Make me a sandwich!

As for myself, my only noticeable oddity is my psoriasis. I also have a fear of heights. But not a fear of falling off heights, just a fear of heights in general. In other words, I'm scared of hanging being near tall things. I keep getting the feeling that they could fall on me at any moment.

See, my first thought was about how I couldn't possibly get you a sandwich over there. And my second thought was that I wouldn't do it even if I could, but that is only because I was thinking anyway.

Rappy
2010-04-18, 12:12 PM
I was born with crooked pinkie fingers.

I sometimes flick my tongue in and out or slide it across my lips when I get stressed.

Due to the habit of eating many sour things in my youth, I am pretty much inured to the dread of "tang".

I empathize with reptiles and amphibians more than mammals (with the exception of people highly close to me, who I have an empathic bond to). I empathize rather well with birds, too, but to a lesser extent.

Bliu Skye
2010-04-18, 07:26 PM
Hm, where to begin?
I'm practically ambidextrous, although writing is much faster with my left hand.
My fingers are all double-jointed and crooked. The index and middle curve outwards, the pinky and ring curve inwards.
One of my eyes is smaller, farther in the socket and slightly higher than the other. In fact, my face is so asymmetrical that, when doubled, one half looks very masculine (broad jaw, wide nose, heavy brow, smaller eyes) while the other half looks very feminine (slender jaw, small nose, angled brows, large eyes) Also, one of my eyes is a slightly darker shade of hazel than the other.
Corn syrup burns my throat. Too bad I live in America.
I can taste things through my hands and feet. Somehow. I inherited that from my mother.
I experience mild panic attacks when confronted with dark windows.
I have a very high tolerance for pain, but a headache of any intensity will make me crumble.
I can count among my friends a multiple-personality escapism-fantasist/sociopath, a paranoid delusional, a thinks-she-died-and-something-else-took-over-ist and an omnicidal masochist. I don't know how, but it seems like I attract crazy people.
I listen to and love all kinds of music, with only four exceptions; hard rap, country, screamer, and Mozart. Say what you will about Amadeus' so-called 'genius', but his music is ANNOYING.
I have an unfortunate tendency to mishear and misread things. For example, I just heard someone on TV say "I didn't know you could smoke a hat." I'm pretty sure that's not what he said.
I prefer cats over dogs, but whenever I approach someone else's cat it runs away from me, yet dogs can't seem to leave me alone. This happens regardless of whether or not I've been around my cat recently.
I pick up accents and mannerisms really easily. After being around someone for a week, I talk and act just like them. This extends to teachers. Seriously.
How could I forget this one? One day in first grade, I was waiting at the end of my driveway for the bus. It was in the middle of a thunderstorm. I was just standing there, and all of a sudden I see a huge flash of white light and hear a loud BOOM. According to my mom, who was watching from the porch, a lightning bolt struck the air several feet above my head and spread out into a dome around me. Weird, no?
That's all I can think of right now.

Lord Raziere
2010-04-18, 08:14 PM
I also tend to wander in and out of attention of things.

Sometimes I just do nothing for minutes on end.

Sometimes I subconsciously repeat random words aloud to myself over and over again- yet I hate memes...

thorgrim29
2010-04-18, 11:28 PM
I appear to most people to be a good 30 pounds lighter then I am. I have an amazing memory for some things (conversations, history, trivia, complicated rules for games, tv, movies, books), but am not nearly as good with actually useful stuff like the exact way to present information and income tax law (business accounting sophomore here), or just remembering to do simple stuff.

Also my tolerance for alcohol can range from above average to freakish depending on the day, what I eat and how much I drink. I usually get tipsy at around 2 or 3 beers/shots/drinks, but after that it's pretty relative. I've been known to drink more then 20 shots in a few hours and barely have an hangover, but on the other hand one time a full bottle of red wine plus 4 or so drinks had me literally incapable of keeping down a glass of water for half a day afterward. This also extends to pain medication, as it does on everyone on my mom's side of the family.

John Cribati
2010-04-18, 11:30 PM
I feel pain and texture in my dreams. Up until a few months ago, I was unable to read in my dreams.
I organize my money by serial number.

Amiel
2010-04-18, 11:47 PM
My middle fingers are crooked, on both hands; writing with pen or pencil leaves a little indent in the flesh bit around my distal phalanges.

I am very creative; I once made an entire artistic piece complete with vintage train using rocks, leaves and sticks (that really looked like the real thing).

I do not have a high tolerance to alcohol unfortunately; I get red after say, a few glasses.

Sometimes my tears (involuntary and not because of crying) are sour; as I have a predilection for sour things. I can happily eat a lemon.

I have somewhat of a memory problem (short term only); if I want to retain that memory, I need to continually reinforce it.

I have a really bad procras....

Serpentine
2010-04-19, 12:36 AM
I prefer cats over dogs, but whenever I approach someone else's cat it runs away from me, yet dogs can't seem to leave me alone. This happens regardless of whether or not I've been around my cat recently.There's something about, looking at a cat is a sign of intimidation. So if there's two people in the room, one who likes cats and one who doesn't, the one who likes them will be watching the cat intensely, hoping it will come to them, while the other will be stoically ignoring it hoping it will go elsewhere. The cat will go to the latter, who is displaying better "manners".
So next time, try ignoring it, or at least not looking directly at it.

I'm really bad at hearing people properly, and really, really bad at understanding people with accents :smallsigh:

Nono
2010-04-19, 02:13 AM

Kind of +1, but just wondering if I'd be washing my clothes or my body...? :|

My thumbs can bend 180 without assistance from the other hand, most peoples only go about 90/100.
I can bend all my fingers and my thumb around each other... It looks more impressive than it sounds! I'd picture post it, but..it is kind of creepy apparently. orz

Amiel
2010-04-19, 02:26 AM
What does it feel like when you shower with your clothes on?

Personally, I find rain-drenched clothes and general bedraggledness (caused by rain) to be very uncomfortable.

Anuan
2010-04-19, 03:38 AM
What does it feel like when you shower with your clothes on?

Personally, I find rain-drenched clothes and general bedraggledness (caused by rain) to be very uncomfortable.

It feels different, because it's warm and stuff, and then you get changed into dry clothes afterwards.

Lavieru
2010-04-19, 08:26 AM
I’m very pale and my limbs are always cold. I think it’s because of a poor blood circulation. Or because I’m a vampire. One or the other. :smallbiggrin:

I can bend my fingers 180 degrees. Some people say it’s freaky.

I have a strange need to stand out the crowd. It’s so strong that sometimes, when people around me have some opinion on a subject, I find myself involuntary declaring the opposite opinion.

My mood frequently skips from good to bad. I think I have a hormonal misbalance or something. :smallconfused:

I’ve never had nightmares. Well, actually I’ve had several dreams about tornados and volcano eruptions, but I’ve always found them… entertaining.

Sometimes I really like to feel fear. :smalleek:

I’ve always dreamed to learn how to fly. I don’t know why, but it seems I’ve been flying almost in all my dreams.

I don’t drink any alcohol, ever. Even at celebrations. My friends say it’s kinda weird.

My eyes start to tear when it’s cold or windy. It uses to confuse people sometimes.

I think gender is not important when it comes to relationships.

I listen to all kind of music: rap, hip-hop, pop, country, jazz, house, electronic, classic music… Depends on my mood.

I like to run over the puddles when it’s rains.

I have so many problems with English grammar. I think it’s not hard to tell. :smalltongue:

The Neoclassic
2010-04-19, 09:54 AM
I’ve always dreamed to learn how to fly. I don’t know why, but it seems I’ve been flying almost in all my dreams.

I have never, ever had a flying dream. I've had all sorts of other strange dreams, including ones where I end up dead, but never flown! It makes me sad. :smallfrown:

Linkavitch
2010-04-19, 12:08 PM
I am 6'2" , and the average for my family on both sides is 5'10". I can eat insanely, and I have a waistline of about 29". I have very small feet for my height (9 1/2, american) My hair grows about twice as fast in the front as in the back, and my eyebrows are insanely big, and are six or seven shades darker then my hair.