PDA

View Full Version : The Life - An Incredibly Unfair Monster Type

Rin_Hunter
2010-04-15, 09:04 AM
Everything in this post was done on purpose. This is a thread dedicated to showing you the madness my players have to put up with when I DM, but luckily for them they've never had to fight one. This monster is never meant to be a player and is meant to be extremely challenging.

If you've talked to me before, you should know that my setting is very high power and these are among the most powerful things in that world.

The Life
Years ago it was discovered that there are powerful being who are brought into the world when people are raised from the dead. They are tall, have the purest white skin and have dead, staring eyes. They are attracted to magic and absorb it to keep on "living".

They appear near the greatest sources of magic in the world, whether it is a magical landmark or an unfortunate, but powerful (Lv30+), caster.

When in a highly magical environment, they will try to absorb the magic on instinct. This could quite easily be standing in the way of powerful magical effects that flow through an area.

The Life can speak any language that the base creature could speak, but often choose not to speak.

Base stats
10 Racial HD: d12, +10/+5 BAB, +7 Fort/Ref/Will, 2+Int Skill Points, 4 Feats
Class levels: The exact stats of a creature being raised from the dead are used for the creation of a Life at the time the creature is raised. This does not include temporary magic items, spells or effects. These are in addition to the Life's racial HD. The Life also keeps any racial HD from the base creature. It maintains all abilities that the base creature got from either class or race or any other source as long as it was permanent.

Size: Increase by one step
Speed: Base Creature +10. Retains all other movement types
Abilities: Str +4, Dex +4, Con +4, Int -10, Wis -10, Cha -10 (See below for aging effects)

Immunities: Death effects, critical hits, negative levels
Resistances: Energy (All) 20

Attack: 2 Slams (1d10 plus Absorb Magic/20/x2)

Regeneration: A Life heals 20 Hp per round. All damage dealt to it is non-lethal damage. When a Life's non-lethal damage equals its Hp, it begins to take lethal damage. It cannot be knocked unconcious with non-lethal damage.

Magic-Sense: A Life can sense all magic within 1 mile of its location at all times. It knows the number of auras of magic items, how powerful a caster is and where each caster and magic item is.

Absorb Magic: Whenever a Life is hit with magic, it absorbs the spell and retains it. It also heals a number of Hp equal to the level of the spell. A Life gains 1 Hp per round when inside an Anti-Magic Field, but is otherwise unaffected. Weapons that strike the Life instantly lose all magical properties and the Life heals Hp equal to the Caster Level of the item. If a Life hits a magic piece of armour or equipment (unlikely unless the base creature took Improved Sunder), that armour loses all magic instantly and the Life heals Hp equal to the Caster Level of the Item.

Discharge Spell: Any spell that has been retained by Absorb Magic can be used by a Life as a standard action. This fired spell has the same DC and Caster Level of the original caster at the time of casting, but if it must be aimed (using a ranged touch attack, for example) it uses the Life's abilities.

Anti-Magic Ray: Ranged Touch as a standard action. Will Negates. Save can be attempted each round the effect persists as a standard action. Effected target cannot cast spells, use spell-like abilities or supernatural abilities for a number of rounds equal to the Life's HD.

Magic-Leech: Ranged Touch as a standard action. Will Negates. Save can be attempted each round the effect persists as a standard action. The Life who hits a caster with this ability will drain the cost of the target's highest level spell in spell points and gain this amount as Hp each round. If the system uses spells per day, the Life instead causes one of the target's highest level spells to be lost and it heals Hp equal to the spell levels.This effect lasts for a number of rounds equal to the Life's HD.

Origin Hate: A Life gets a +10 to attack and a +20 to damage against the creature that it was created from.

Absorb Origin: If a Life touches the creature it was created from while that creature is dead, it permanently gains +20 to every ability score. The original creature's body is then absorbed into the Life. Only a Wish or Miracle in combination with a True Resurrection can bring back the original creature.

Aging: Every year that the Life is alive it gains +1 to Int, Wis and Cha. This cannot raise these three stats above double the original creature's ability scores at the time of resurrection. This may also grant the Life access to spellcasting that it lost due to the -10 to each of these scores at creation. Aging ignores the +20 if Absorb Origin is used, making the maximum 2*Base+20.

I'm not even sure what CR to put on these things. My guess was [(base creature +15) + (1/2 * years alive until Aging stops)], but I could be wrong.

In my setting, these creatures all appear a giant upside-down tornado of elemental energy called the Great Maelstrom and they stand just inside it most of the time, absorbing the everflowing magic. This is an attempt to contain the monsters. Casters above level 30 still attract these things, however.

Sereg
2010-04-15, 10:24 AM
Yowza! From your description, shouldn't there be a LOT of these. I mean, if one appears every time that someone is raised, it should add up. Mabe if they weren't created everytime? Otherwise, yes, they are powerful as you intended.

Rin_Hunter
2010-04-15, 04:32 PM
Yowza! From your description, shouldn't there be a LOT of these. I mean, if one appears every time that someone is raised, it should add up. Mabe if they weren't created everytime? Otherwise, yes, they are powerful as you intended.

My current count, including NPCs over the years, I can roughly say is 2500+

This monster is meant to just walk up to the player and say "Nah" while doing that old "Talk to the hand" gesture :smallbiggrin:

Sydonai
2010-04-15, 04:44 PM
What are these things, Uber-Maruts?

Rin_Hunter
2010-04-15, 04:47 PM
What are these things, Uber-Maruts?

They are pain. They are pain that fills my players with dread.

If they didn't exist, my players would be figuring out ways to ride the Great Maelstrom all the way to the top... Idiots... One in particular... He comes on these boards now and knows who he is...

He alone has about 8 Life running around.

Sydonai
2010-04-15, 04:50 PM
They are pain. They are pain that fills my players with dread.

If they didn't exist, my players would be figuring out ways to ride the Great Maelstrom all the way to the top... Idiots... One in particular... He comes on these boards now and knows who he is...

He alone has about 8 Life running around.

........Some guy died eight times......and he still plays that pc?

Rin_Hunter
2010-04-15, 04:52 PM
........Some guy died eight times......and he still plays that pc?

No, only 4 of those were one PC. There are two each from 2 other PCs.

He makes friends in high places and willingly barters his soul with the Gods. And is extremely lucky.