PDA

View Full Version : Along Silver Lining (MtG Freeform)

DMBlackhart
2010-04-15, 11:18 AM
The sun was high, as it always was in ravnica. The temperature was hot, as it often was in ravnica. And the people, the people were.... restless, as was not common in ravnica.

Rilk-
Not sure how well orochi fit in with humans, or elves, or what not. So unless you know something I don't ima assume they don't blend well

A dim, grey lab surronds you. Within it are a few "experiments" of the simic. On the otherside of a table stands a lone simic initiate stands, working quietly on something.

It is only after a moment of you standing there, escaping the rookies notice, that he finally speaks up.

Come come.... we have work to do. Much has to be prepared before the seasons end.

Your unsure if the initiate was addressing you, however he walks away regardless, carrying some papers and a small metallic artifact in his hand. Following the initiate, you are all too soon lead into a deeper chamber in the complex. A room you have yet to see. It is dark, and forboding. There is little sound other then your own footsteps. It is a passage of some sort, but your unsure of what purpose it serves.

Well get going. We need to be quick, the man speaks in a whisper, attempting to hand the papers and small metallic artifact to you.

Artifact
http://www.wizards.to/_dbimg/SU/314.jpg

Finius Clockwork-

Being an apprentice to the Izzet was never an easy job. In fact it seemed to get exceedingly more complex as of late. You had spent the last few months running errands, and cleaning up other wizards messes, rather then doing any real practising yourself. That hopefully never stopped you though, as your confident and proud.

However things would quickly take another odd turn for you, and all of ravnica.

It was early morning when you were called into the chambers of one of the more respected Izzet guildmages. He was an old and wizzened human, with a long shaggy beared and almost comically tiny eye glasses. The man sweeps away some work under his desk before you enter, looking you over carefully.

I suppose you'll do then. You ready for another errand boy? The man speaks in a rough, crotchety tone, as would any elder.

Before you can ask much, the man thrusts a wrapped package into your arms, asking you to follow him. As you both walk, he answers what questions of your he best can before leading you to a dark, forboding tunnel in the back of the izzet complex. Your unsure of where it will lead you.

Taro Finis-

The blaring cries of merchants from all across the multiverse. It is always a welcoming sound. Today even more so, as you reap the rewards of a couple of particularly foolish ravnican's. You stand amidst the chaos of just another ravnican city's marketplace. Peddling your wears as best you can, and enjoying the warm sunny afternoon.

This is when things got weird.

You could swear the market was getting thinner and emptier by the hour. However everytime you paid it any real thought it seemed to just be a trick of your mind, or the heat. This continues on well into the evening, when, rather then a simple trick, it becomes obvious that the market place is void of life. This would not have been so unusual, if you had seen it comming. This was more like... magic.

When the sun has drooped, and a thin bronze light paves the city, you come to hear a disheartening noise. Much like a predator stalking it's prey, except, it is comming from nowhere you can see, and it all too quickly amplifys itself 100 fold!

Shonyatrixx-

All of the blasted noice. Never ending. But this is one of the elements of a city. It is something most get used to, well most you lack exceptional hearing and sight and smell. The overkill of sensuality quickly fades however, as you pace the streets of a small, almost unnamed ravnican city. Along side you walks the the good doctor Fuyra Kellion. The two of you have important buissness here, you suspect, otherwise this would be a waste of your increadible talents.

The day goes by rather uneventful, the night however, is always the funnest part of the day. When the sun as dropped below most of the towering buildings, and thick shadows run across the city, you hear the marching of metal boots. "soilders" is all that runs through your mind as you hear the marching thicken.

All too quickly the sound dies out....

The disturbing thing was not that the sounds of a small army of soilders had just mysteriously vanished, but rather, why the image hadent! You could see them, at least one hundread or so airy figures, wearing full armor and weilding powerful swords, axes and spears. Except, they are translucent, like a thin fog. They are no humans to be sure....

The troop advances on you methodically, weapons raised.

Greystone
2010-04-15, 12:15 PM
"so Shona, I finally have all the parts" Dr. Kellion said, gesticulating broadly. Shona, in human form, carrying a mountain of mechanical parts- followed him.

"What is this for doc" she grumbled, hefting the heavy metal parts, making sure that they were balanced well "And why aren't you helping?"

"I am" he raised a small delicate looking piece "I need to make sure that this doesn't break." He smiled "And with this I can design the ultimate spriggan remover"

Shona stopped staring blankly "All of this is to take care of a few goblins?"

"Welll...." he started petulantly, but he didn't finish. He noticed the soldiers "Err... hello"

Shona looked around, and dropped the metal parts drawing loud clanks and a groan of disapproval from the doctor.

She flexed her clawed hands, making green fire spring up and cover her entire arm. "C'mon Doc, I don't think they want to talk alchemy" with her free, unburning left hand she grabbed the doctors coat. She turned and jumped into the nearest building, through the door.

4is111
2010-04-15, 03:43 PM
"If you don't mind my asking, what is it I'm carrying, Sir?"

DMBlackhart
2010-04-15, 03:52 PM
Shonyatrixx-

You make a dive for the nearest building, hoping to avoid notice by the ghastly gaurd. Grabbing the doctor you both head for the nearest building. Once inside however, you realise too soon that this was a mistake. Inside the building you find a family of elves, none of which seem too threatning, however the other person sitting around their dining table is what raises alarm.

You recognise the man as a planeswalker. Not one you know, whoever, but still the mage oozes essence of aether and mana. The man stands, pushing his dinner plate aside, raising one bare, dark skinned hand.

Speak of your intrution now, or prepare to defend yourself vagrants.

The man speaks in almost a whisper, as if he had no higher volume to his voice. The mage is drapped in thick blue robes with golden lining, and has entirely grey'd eyes. The man stands taller then you, at around eight feet in hieight.

Outside you can hear nothing, no soilders, no citizens. Just as well you see nothing, if you are to look outside the building. Where the army went your unsure.

Finius-

Hope M'boy. Lots of it. Now, run along we only got till night fall to get you to the otherside.

The man pushes you along, almost deaf to any of your retorts. Unless you activly fight against him he will keep forcing you along until you set down the dark path on your own.

4is111
2010-04-15, 04:03 PM
If he didn't want to tell me he could have at least been polite enough to say so.
Finius doesn't resist the push, and breaks into a brisk jog. As soon as he thinks he is out of sight, he slows down to a leisurely walk.
Imagin, me being late. The audacity. He must not realize that I am a mighty sorcerer.
Finius casts Stitch in Time (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=96928). Come on, 1! [roll0]
Finius's spell sparks appart from his finger tips.
Blast! Now I'm going to have to leg it!
Finius casts Accelerate (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=29857) on himself, and runs down the tunnel at superhuman speed.

Randel
2010-04-15, 06:44 PM
Taro Finis

"What the..." Taro blinks as he takes another look at the situation. Things like this rarely snuck up a wizard merchant as practiced as him... but when they did it's no excuse to let it jump him.

"Pleasuredoingbusinessmadam..." he says quickly as he pockets the payment still in his hand. He could swear this little vanishing act had caught him in mid-transaction but for the life of him he couldn't remember which one it was.

"Pack up... we're moving." he says to his carpet which suddenly rises into the air.

Within moments, Taros entire little market spot rose into the air along with the carpet he did business on. A little flick of his wrist and the entire thing was covered in a simple illusion which should make him unnoticeable to anyone not on the lookout for cloaked persons.

The carpet hovers several yards above the top of the buildings as Taro looks down. Quietly stuffing his wares back into their bags for quick transport, he keeps an eye out for whatever is causing this disruption. While the clean-shaven shopkeep did look pretty good for his age (as he was certain of that) he didn't last this long by letting things jump him.

He packs his wares into bags for quick transport while keeping an eye out for whatever is causing this.

DMBlackhart
2010-04-15, 07:05 PM
Taro Finis-

Just as you pack up, and set for the skies, you could feel it. And uncomfortable chill, like your blood had turn to ice. This passes quickly, thankfully, as you rocket off above the Ravnican rooftops. However security has been considerably high lately, and you can see some angelic types in shimmering armor scouring the skies. Now, your obviously in no position to look "innocent", which the angels seemed to have noticed, swarming around your area, not entirely sure what they are seeing, but weery all the same.

Down on the streets below, you can see "something" mobilizing through the streets. Due to the shadows however, it is hard to make out much, other then the size of the mob. You could swear there are over one thousand figures moving through the cities shadows, stalking something... or someone.

4is111
2010-04-15, 07:35 PM
Can I manage to reach the end before nightfall?

Randel
2010-04-15, 07:43 PM
Taro Finis

"Uh... hello there." Taro says as he looks at the angels around him. He scratches his head and slowly stops putting his stuff away.

"Listen, one second I'm in the market selling my wares as normal and the next second the whole street is empty. Something is happening and if its all the same to you I'd like to get some distance from whatever is happe... um... what is that?"

Taros eyes open and he points towards the mob of shadow things stalking through the streets. "Oh gods... do you see those? Do you feel it? That stalking? This is like Grixis. This was Grixis before things went to hell. Listen, is there an evacuation thing or procedure in case of invasion because I will pay fine as long as I get out of this city alive if that's what I think it is."

"Seriously, one second you're selling knick-knacks and the next everyones vanished and unspeakables are eating your face. Vamoosing time is now." Taros carpet is slowly edging away from the mob of shadow creatures moving through the streets.

Greystone
2010-04-15, 08:04 PM
Shonyatrixx
Shona merely raises an eyebrow, and speaks to the man over her shoulder as she tries to peer out a window.

"Yeah, sorry" she waves vaguely towards the door "We were being surrounded by some sort of apparition."

She turns and scans the other exits "As soon as I find a way to get the doctor outta here, we'll get out of you hair"

she speaks with a utter unconcern for his status or power, but her tone is at least, vaguely apologetic.

DMBlackhart
2010-04-16, 05:17 PM
Finius- With super human speed you dash through the darkness. The only sound is the echoing clatter of your shoes on stone, as you continue deeper into nothingness. Finally, after about ten minutes of running, you come to the end, or so you'd think. The tunnel leads out into a LARGE chamber, filled with moonlight from crumbled segments of the roof.

The chamber is... alien. The stone work here seems too perfect, to your knowledge it seems beyond the ability of any mage to construct. And the statues and artworks are all of alien races, no two of which are the same.

At the far south end of the chamber is a large stone dias, with a half-decayed archway built on it.

Even the mana is alien. You can no longer feel the prescence of any magic you once knew, something... new... something sinister hangs in the air.

Taro Finis- At first all is calm, other then the writhing blackness on the streets below, things seem sort of peaceful, then the angels turn towards you again, their faces seen through their helmets. The angels have no eyes, and their wings are molting even as they fly. Up close you can see that these arent normal angels, least not the protectors of ravnica like you would know them. These harpies seem wicked, corrupted. They reveal mouths full of sharp fangs, and each of the five angels release a spine tingling shreak before they lung at you, spears, swords, and axes swinging madly.

Shonyatrixx- Before you can leave the building, the man motions his hand once more, glueing your feet to the spot.

I said speak of your intrution. If you have no excuse for interupting our meeting then you will be delt with harshly.

The mage's out reached hand glows a sinister red, sparks flying onto the floor below.

4is111
2010-04-16, 05:58 PM
"What sort of... Who could have built this? Alright, now where to- wait, where am I delivering this to?"
Finius looks around to make sure he isn't being watched before unwrapping the package.

Greystone
2010-04-16, 06:50 PM
"What part of 'being surrounded by apparitions' was hard to understand" she turns to him fully now "I came in here to make sure my boss" she jerks a thumb at the doctor "Survives the next ten minutes"

"There is an army of evil ghost people outside" Kellion put in helpfully.

Rauthiss
2010-04-17, 10:47 AM
Hm, odd. Haven't been here before... Rilk thought to himself as he walked down the passageway, key in hand. He picked up the papers in his hand and started to leaf through them quietly, wondering if he could find any idea of what he was doing today.

DMBlackhart
2010-04-17, 01:19 PM
Finius- Slowly and carefully you unravel the package. Your eyes go wide as you see what your holding. A small, finely crafted ornament of some sort. It is a central silver sphere, about the size of a marble. Circling the sphere in their own personal gravity are five other different colored spheres.
One for each color of "mana" you assume.

As you examine the artifact you notice something odd about it. The five mana-colored spheres are dull, unlit in comparison to the central silver sphere. As you move around the room it seems to dim or blare brighter. It is it's brightest when you are under the arcs of the stone dias.

Shonyatrixx- The mage gives his hand one more wave, forcing soem chairs from under the table so that he, and the two of you may sit.

I apologise for my rash behavoir. However you caught me at a bad time.

The mage looks over your shoulders, outside.

You will forgive me if I remain suspiscious of you, but I fail to see any apperations of any sort.

Rilk- You lead through the papers during your walk down the dark tunnel. With what little light you can find or create, you see the papers are entirely blank! Not a single letter has been scribed. Was this just some sort of joke at your expense?

Then you reached the end. A grand atrium comes into veiw as you step out of the dakr tunnels. At the south end of the room is a large stone dias, with a crumbling arc forming across it.

At the center of the dias, just below the arc, you see a simple human pacing the area, look at a shining object in his hand.

(yes, it's finius)

4is111
2010-04-17, 02:07 PM
Now that is something. I wonder what this thing does?
Finius searches through his robes for a minute before producing a Mizzium Transreliquat (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=107096) and activating it to duplicate the set of spheres.
I'll figure out what this thing is later
Finius quickly rewraps the parcel before examining the dias.

Randel
2010-04-17, 05:16 PM
Taro Finis

"Cheese it!" Taro yells to his carpet which immediatly plummets several yards before zooming off at top speed away from the angels.

"Typical, undead strike and the local law enforcement gets taken out in the first round... you'd think that frikin Angels would have some resistance to this sort of stuff."

Despite his jokes, he knows that this is serious. He brings the carpet down lower to get a better look at the streets to see if anyone else has survived whatever happened. Regardless of the risks involved, he knows he isn't a fighter and he'll probably need some muscle to get out of this. Find some heroes to take the spotlight and make sure people know his name. Thats how these things tend to work.

He drops lower and flies down the middle of one of the streets, hopefully making himself marginally harder to track than if he was out in the open.

"Emergency! The city is under attack! Undead on the loose!" He keeps a look out for survivors, particularly battle-hardened heroes... though a damsel in distress would be fine as well.

Rauthiss
2010-04-20, 10:16 AM
Rilk

"Excuse me, sir. Might I ask what you're doing?" Rilk says as he approaches the man pacing around the dais. "Is there anything I can help you with?"

DMBlackhart
2010-04-20, 09:47 PM
(rilk and finius are in the same room at this point. In case there was any confusion)

Finius- Your train of thought is interupted as you examine the dias. A voice calls from the north-western end of the chamber.

"Excuse me, sir. Might I ask what you're doing? "
"Is there anything I can help you with?"

However just as the other figure approaches the mechanism in your hand begins to react to the dias. The alien symbols that encircle it begin to glow a bright, deep golden color. You can feel the air around you changing. You can feel pure power melding with your body.

Taro Finis- You swoop away from the she-beasts. Unfortunately they will not give up chase so easily. Looking behind you you see that the decayed angel brigand is right on your tail. And even closer then that is a small gathering of what at first seemed to be citizens. That is, until you saw the more... morbid... features. Eyes falling out of sockets, bones revealed, and green mottled flesh.

Your attention is drawn away as one of the corrupt angels heads you off from the front, barely missing with your scalp with a large iron halberd.

4is111
2010-04-20, 10:24 PM
OOC: I didn't see Rilk because I wasn't ready the other parts of the posts adressed to the other players under the assumption that I would have no way of percieving them in character.
IC: Finius turns to see Rilk and jumps a foot in the air. "What are you... You must have been sent by the Simic. Unless you can prove I was suppose to deliver my parcel to you, you won't have. I'll have you know I am a powerful mage. You are nothing to me in a fight. Wait, what was that you said? Purhaps I was wrong to assume you-"
At that moment Finius notices the golden energy forming around his body.
"Blazes! What have I done? I've got to stop this, what ever it is!"
Finius focuses for an instant before unleashing one of his greated spells:Time Stop! (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=129898)
Assuming it works correctly, a wave of temporal disruption eminates from Finius, ending his turn and emptying the stack of the mysterious golden energy.
The mage falls to his knees exasted from the effort.

Randel
2010-04-22, 06:29 AM
Taro Finis

"Scram!"

In an instant, Taro and his carpet seem to implode as they vanish from the material plane. Seconds later and several blocks away in a random direction they silently rematerialize at ground level.

Taro stops and listens for the slightest sound of movement, then finally reaches into one of his bags to pull out a crossbow with along with bolts. After loading it, he taps on the carpet and it silently glides its way toward the edge of the city, trying to escape but still keeping an eye out for others along the way.

Rauthiss
2010-04-22, 10:27 AM
Rilk

Despite being shocked by the outburst of Magic, Rilk manages to keep his head, at least as well as any Simic member can be said to keep their head. There is never an unneeded test subject. "Why sir," he calmly says to the man who, until seconds ago, had glowed golden, "You seem to be weak. Did you know that Simic Cytoplasts reduce fatigue in nearly 90% of test subjects? Here, I happen to have a few on my person. Would you like one?"

Rilk extends a hand to Finius, smiling charmingly. As he does so, the artifact he was holding in his other hands slips free of his grip, assisted by the papers, and falls to the floor. Two of Rilk's hands pick it up. "Excuse my clumsiness, sir."

4is111
2010-04-22, 08:48 PM
"I doubt that the Simic have anything that could alliviate the fatigue from casting spells, or else they would have much more extensive control of the city. Besides, I know better than to let the Simic have their way with me. It certainly hasn't done much for your complextion. No, I didn't mean that. Pardon my manors, please, but you should know I am an apprentise of the Izzet, so I have reason to suspect you. Please don't take it personally, you seem like a very nice... lizard thing. Do you know what this place is? I've got a parcel to deliver, and I'm not quite sure where to."

DMBlackhart
2010-04-22, 09:48 PM
Rilk & Finius-

Your conversation is cut short as a sudden and powerful explosion fills the room. The sonic boom thankfully did not harm you physically, however it does cause momentary blindness and deafness.

Standing in the middle of the arch that sits in the middle of the dias is a large, powerful swirling vortex. The magical portal seems to be sucking power inward. You can feel the mana flowing from the room and into this void.

Taro-

Taking the fight to the ground you notice something suspiscious. Whatever was stalking the streets is now gone. Perhaps the mob is further ahead or behind? The angels also seem to have given up the chase. You now see no sign of any opposition. An eery silence hangs in the sky. You can see a new sunrise peaking over the smaller buildings in ravnica. A soft glow begins to bathe the city.

4is111
2010-04-23, 12:16 PM
Finius stumbles around for a moment as he recovers from the blast.
"Blazes! What it that thing? I've never seen anything suck in mana like that. You don't suppose it could be some sort of elemental?"

Randel
2010-04-24, 05:52 PM
Taro Finis

Seeing the sunrise, Taro keeps an eye out and makes his way towards the edge of the city to make an escape. He keeps an eye out for survivors or the monsters.

Rauthiss
2010-04-24, 07:08 PM
Rilk gazed at the portal. "You're the Izzet here! You tell me if it's an elemental!" Rilk attempts to move away from the portal.

OOC: DM Blackheart, do I know what the artifact is?

4is111
2010-04-24, 08:57 PM
"I don't think so, but then I've only ever worked with fire elementals and that sort of thing. I've heard of elements of more abstract consepts, like valor, but I would know one if I saw it. I wonder if it will respond to stimulation."
Finius draws an Izzet Signet (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=96867) and channels some mana through it into the vortex.

DMBlackhart
2010-04-25, 12:17 AM
(Excuse the poor posting rate. Been really busy lately. Things will have hopefully smoothed out)

(You would not)

Rilk & Finius- Your sure that the vortex is not an elemental, that much is clear to you. Although, what perplexes you is that it resembles a portal. Unfortunately no portal you've ever heard of consumes mana at such an alarming rate. Even now you can feel your own personal link to the worlds mana cut off, and only the mana that Finius' Charm generates is active. However the second this new source is introduce it too, is consumed.

The vortex continues to become more rapid, more violent, and more powerful. You can feel your feet slide forward. The portal is becoming strong enough to PULL YOU INWARD!

Taro Finnis You head for the end of the city, keeping a careful eye out. You notice something very... odd... during your walk. The towns people come back out during the dawn. There are no signs of any dark horde, any attacks, or any disturbances of any kind. You look high overhead, seeing a powerful sun beat rising over the buildings. Flying up ever so far out of reach you notice the angels from before. Although you cannot see them well from here, you are not entirely sure they are the monsters they were the night before.

4is111
2010-04-25, 10:56 AM
"Suddenly my self preservation instincts are kicking in. We should go no."
Finius scrambles to escape the chamber.

Rauthiss
2010-04-28, 06:34 AM
Rilk looks at Finius. "It seems to me that your survival instincts are finally kicking in, my good sir. I must say, I agree with your assessment of the situation." He turns and starts to pull himself away from the vortex.

Randel
2010-04-29, 09:44 PM
Taro Finis

"Darn it... okay, this is freaky. I hope this isn't one of those things where the world is getting destroyed but I've been chosen by the gods of time and keep getting sent back in time to the morning until I save the world."

Taro looks around to find a newspaper or otherwise figure out what date it is... or if anyone in power remembers what happened.