PDA

View Full Version : Are these fighter feats overpowered?

Lysander
2010-04-15, 11:28 AM
Here's a pair of feats that let you pick up focus/specialization feats at half price. My reasoning is that a master of combat would probably become decent in more than one type of weapon. What keeps it from being overpowered is that you can only use one type of weapon at a time anyway so being skilled in multiple types just lets you handle different kinds of situations. What do you think?

Weapon Flexibility

Prerequisite: Weapon Focus, Weapon Specialization

Benefit: Choose one type of weapon. The benefits of the following feats that you have selected for a different weapon type extend to your new selection as well: Weapon Focus, Weapon Specialization. You are treated as having those feats for your new weapon selection in regards to any prerequisites.

Special: You can gain Weapon Flexibility multiple times. Its effects do not stack. Each time you take the feat, it applies to a new type of weapon.

A fighter may select Weapon Flexibility as one of his fighter bonus feats.

Greater Weapon Flexibility

Prerequisite: Weapon Flexibility, Greater Weapon Focus, Greater Weapon Specialization

Benefit: Choose one type of weapon you have chosen with Weapon Flexibility. The benefits of the following feats that you have selected for a different weapon type extend to your new selection as well: Greater Weapon Focus, Greater Weapon Specialization. You are treated as having those feats for your new weapon selection in regards to any prerequisites.

Special: You can gain Greater Weapon Flexibility multiple times. Its effects do not stack. Each time you take the feat, it applies to a new type of weapon.

A fighter may select Weapon Flexibility as one of his fighter bonus feats.

jokey665
2010-04-15, 11:30 AM
They're underpowered, because Weapon Focus/Specialization are vastly underpowered. Plus, Warblades and the Aptitude weapon enhancement make this somewhat unnecessary.

~LuckyBoneDice~
2010-04-15, 11:35 AM
It's cool in concept, minus Warblades get this for free. Good in no-ToB games however.

Lysander
2010-04-15, 11:41 AM
They're underpowered, because Weapon Focus/Specialization are vastly underpowered. Plus, Warblades and the Aptitude weapon enhancement make this somewhat unnecessary.

An alternative version I thought of was using Greater Weapon Specialization and Greater Weapon Focus as prerequisites, and having the feat let you act as if you had Weapon Focus and Weapon Specialization for all weapons. Would that be worthwhile?

Frozen_Feet
2010-04-15, 11:50 AM
Four subpar feats so you can use two of them with all weapons? No. I'm betting the boost wouldn't be worth it even if you let them use Greater W. Focus and Greater W. Spec. with all weapons.

herbe
2010-04-15, 01:05 PM
in my oppinion, they are not so powerful because most character wield only one type of weapon so its nearly unnecesary to take except two weapon wielders and +1 attack bonus and damage are a little things.

~LuckyBoneDice~
2010-04-15, 01:10 PM
in my oppinion, they are not so powerful because most character wield only one type of weapon so its nearly unnecesary to take except two weapon wielders and +1 attack bonus and damage are a little things.

though Weapon Styles would benefit from this

DragoonWraith
2010-04-15, 01:17 PM
Make it apply to all feats and class features that restricted to a single chosen weapon, and make it get extended to all types of weapons in which you are proficient. And then don't make it a feat tax, make it a Fighter class feature, probably at 3 but maybe at 5.

Do that, and Fighter 3 (or, realistically, 4) is still a bad idea. But at least it gets something that seems quite befitting a Fighter.

Cieyrin
2010-04-15, 03:47 PM
If they were more like the Weapon Mastery feats from PHB2, then perhaps but you're trying to provide a fix that Weapon Mastery already does better.

Tinydwarfman
2010-04-15, 03:53 PM
Heck I'd just make:

Advanced Combat Training
Prerequisite: Fighter 4
Benefit: You gain +1 to hit and +2 to damage on rolls with all weapons.

And I don't think even that would be overpowered.

Runestar
2010-04-15, 04:35 PM
It is useful only if your fighter plans on using different weapons (or at least, you can apply it to both a melee and ranged weapon without having to take the weapon spec tree a 2nd time). This is something weapon mastery cannot do.

Balanced at 1st lv when you can take it, I suppose. Though you may want to just let it apply to the entire weapon spec tree.

Cogidubnus
2010-04-16, 06:16 AM
If you look here [URL="http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8307921&posted=1#post8307921"] there's a big discussion about fighters. Out of it came the idea that the weapon focus tree needs to apply to ALL weapons fighters can use, as standard. That makes it just about palatable, if you're just using core. Although, that thread highlights about 30 other problems with fighters and no real ways of dealing with them.

Silverscale
2010-04-16, 09:41 AM
By mid levels Fighters are compairatively weak unless you give them "The Awesomest Sword in the World" and limit magic a whole lot. Granted there are feats that help make the fighter better/more versital, but it's very hard to compete with magic unless you have some yourself.