PDA

View Full Version : Equipping Envy (3.5)

reptilecobra13
2010-04-15, 12:05 PM
In a level 17 gestalt game (3.5), I am going to be playing a doppelganger monk. The exact build is monk 17//doppelganger 8/Monster of Legend 2/Warshaper 5/Mindspy 2. The goal here is to fairly accurately represent Envy, the shapeshifting homunculus from Full Metal Alchemist. My question is this. What equipment would you recommend for someone planning to play a primarily unarmed shapeshifting assassin? In case you were wondering, there is no limit to available books, and my overall gp limit is double standard 17th level gold (680,000 total). I'm working on optimizing my gear, and weight isn't much of an issue either, due to a 26+ Str. score. Some standards have already been acquired, such as Bracers of Armor +8, a RoP +5, a Heward's Handy Haversack, a "utility belt," etc.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-04-15, 12:17 PM
Put good enchantmens on a necklace of natural attacks keyed to your unarmed strike, metalline, morphing and transmuting are good to emulate the creation of weapons from bare hands.

FishAreWet
2010-04-15, 12:21 PM
Monster of Legend 2? There seems to be a mistake somewhere.

reptilecobra13
2010-04-15, 12:32 PM
Monster of Legend 2? There seems to be a mistake somewhere.

No, it's not a mistake. We've houseruled it to be a 2 level adjustment, but it's only available at the DMs discretion and even then it has to be well justified. It helps that our DM has recently fallen in love with Full Metal Alchemist. :smallbiggrin: The rest of the party is just as overpowered, so I won't be outperforming them. For example, we have a character playing a homebrew race dread necromancer//cleric/true necromancer who is controlling an army of over 300 undead, including several pyrohydra skeletons. Another character is a template-boosted troll warblade who Lightning Throw's a huge-sized warhammer. Then there's the minotaur with a great falchion-gunblade...

FlamingKobold
2010-04-18, 10:10 AM
Actually, your description sounds remarkably unoptimized. Spending 10 levels on LA and 17 on monk is hardly optimal. Necromancy is very underpowered, magic-wise, and generally not useful in most situations. Troll warblade almost sounds good, but that's a lot of LA, and generally overwielding is a bad plan. A minotaur that isn't hitting people isnt good, so I'd say the gunblade isnt that great.

Were you all required to take sub-optimal, high LA races? Just wondering.

On topic: Get normal monk stuff. In general, you're going to be pitiful in combat without extreme support, so go for lots of things that will make you good. Remember: More options are better than bigger numbers.

What I would do is to try to specialize in tripping or grappling, due to the extended reach of the warshaper. Get items that will capitalize on this.

reptilecobra13
2010-04-19, 07:13 PM
It's pretty much just a "create whatever you want to play" kind of campaign. This isn't necessarily supposed to be an optimized build, it's more of just an entertaining concept. The build I'm going for is going to be an infiltrator who is capable of supporting himself in and out of combat.