PDA

View Full Version : Best Poison/Ravage/Ect. <3.5>

~LuckyBoneDice~
2010-04-15, 12:57 PM
Hey Y'all! My DM is letting me use a Homebrew Trait for my PC called Poisonous Blood, which when bit/cut/stabbed/swallowed excretes a poison of my choice, at a cost of my allies' Heal checks are at a -4.

So, what poison/ravage is the most devistating to a foe?

arguskos
2010-04-15, 12:57 PM
Uh... what level are you? It's relevant.

Beorn080
2010-04-15, 01:06 PM
Well, from the SRD, dragon bile or Black Lotus Extract. Dragon Bile has the highest DC at 26, and does 3d6 str initially, while BLE has 20 DC, but 3d6 con twice, plus both are contact. However, if your immune to it, Burnt Uther Fume from the SRD could be fun. Low DC, but if you keep nicking yourself you will be constantly surrounded by a 10ft cube of poison gas.

Just remember, stabbing yourself with arrows, then using said arrows is an effective strategy. Or bottling your blood.

Starbuck_II
2010-04-15, 01:06 PM
Hey Y'all! My DM is letting me use a Homebrew Trait for my PC called Poisonous Blood, which when bit/cut/stabbed/swallowed excretes a poison of my choice, at a cost of my allies' Heal checks are at a -4.

So, what poison/ravage is the most devistating to a foe?
Ravages:
Golden Ice is contact poison DC 14, but 1d6/(secondary) 2d6 Dex damage.

~LuckyBoneDice~
2010-04-15, 01:07 PM
Uh... what level are you? It's relevant.

How? I'd've had this since lv1. We are 13th level

~LuckyBoneDice~
2010-04-15, 01:08 PM
Well, from the SRD, dragon bile or Black Lotus Extract. Dragon Bile has the highest DC at 26, and does 3d6 str initially, while BLE has 20 DC, but 3d6 con twice, plus both are contact. However, if your immune to it, Burnt Uther Fume from the SRD could be fun. Low DC, but if you keep nicking yourself you will be constantly surrounded by a 10ft cube of poison gas.

Just remember, stabbing yourself with arrows, then using said arrows is an effective strategy. Or bottling your blood.

... So i'd become a mastichist? or maybe i run a Poison Dusk Lizardfolk and have 2 bodily poisons!

and I'm a caster (currently undecided) who has a habit of being bitten/cut/swallowed by a kraken

Beorn080
2010-04-15, 01:14 PM
Its only masochistic if you enjoy it. However, you would get free poison for your bolts, which could be combined with chain spell and the Launch Bolt cantrip that I've seen somewhere to, well, break things.

Cleric would fit well. As part of your morning prayers, you ritually pierce yourself to prove your devotion with crossbow bolts, then burn a quick CLW or similar.

arguskos
2010-04-15, 01:14 PM
How? I'd've had this since lv1. We are 13th level
At lower levels, I'd suggest Black Lotus Extract, for being highly lethal. At these levels, I'm going to suggest Vedya, from the Dragon Compendium, if you can boost the save somehow. It's only DC 22, but is pretty amazing (initial 1d4 con, secondary 1d4 Con every day until they make 4 Fort saves in a row, or get a Wish/Miracle).

~LuckyBoneDice~
2010-04-15, 01:16 PM
At lower levels, I'd suggest Black Lotus Extract, for being highly lethal. At these levels, I'm going to suggest Vedya, from the Dragon Compendium, if you can boost the save somehow. It's only DC 22, but is pretty amazing (initial 1d4 con, secondary 1d4 Con every day until they make 4 Fort saves in a row, or get a Wish/Miracle).

Vedya is NASTY.... That sux for whomever is on the short end of that stick ;3

Kaiyanwang
2010-04-15, 01:23 PM

Dragon compendium has actually a lot of great poisons, both for combat and out of combat situations.

Take a look, be imaginative and have fun.

arguskos
2010-04-15, 01:25 PM
Dragon compendium has actually a lot of great poisons, bot for combat and out of combat situations.

Take a look, be imaginative and have fun.
Yeah, what Kaiyan said. I love the DC poisons. Some are truly brutal too, such as Vedya and Chayapa (great at low levels, that one).

~LuckyBoneDice~
2010-04-15, 01:28 PM
Yeah, what Kaiyan said. I love the DC poisons. Some are truly brutal too, such as Vedya and Chayapa (great at low levels, that one).

So, as a Poison Dusk Lizardfolk, I can have both?

This is thru the effects of PD Lizardfolk and Poisonous Blood

Person_Man
2010-04-15, 01:55 PM
I assume your DM knows that you are going to coat every weapon you own with your poisonous blood just before each encounter, and then use a Wand of Cure Light Wounds to heal yourself? Also, tons of creatures have a bite attack.

~LuckyBoneDice~
2010-04-15, 01:57 PM
I assume your DM knows that you are going to coat every weapon you own with your poisonous blood just before each encounter, and then use a Wand of Cure Light Wounds to heal yourself? Also, tons of creatures have a bite attack.

No to the first part, and I know to the second part. I was swallowed whole by a Kraken, bitten to near death by a dragon, and even bitten by a black man...

The Shadowmind
2010-04-15, 02:08 PM
Megapede venom, DC 44 2d6 CON damage, 1d4 DEX drain Injury, in Dungeonscape which is written by the guy who makes the OOTS.

Eldariel
2010-04-15, 02:17 PM
Megapede venom, DC 44 2d6 CON damage, 1d4 DEX drain Injury, in Dungeonscape which is written by the guy who makes the OOTS.

Rich Burlew. But yeah, he's been a part of the team for the book; not sure if he wrote that particular section. Either way, the poison itself is from a CR 20 vermin named, unsurprisingly, Megapede in MM2.

Akal Saris
2010-04-15, 06:51 PM
Mgapede's a good one. I might also go with greater Svaklor poison from the same book - DC 34 Paralysis/1d6 Con. I like the idea of somebody hitting me and instantly freezing in place.

Alternatively, pit fiend venom. DC 27 1d6 Con/Death. Hit me 5 times, in a minute make 5 saves vs death.

AslanCross
2010-04-15, 07:49 PM
Rich Burlew. But yeah, he's been a part of the team for the book; not sure if he wrote that particular section. Either way, the poison itself is from a CR 20 vermin named, unsurprisingly, Megapede in MM2.

DC 44?! :smalleek:

Anyway, there's also the Aboleth Mucus ([URL="http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8238126#post8238126) mentioned in the Haversack thread.

Technically not poison, but that's some serious stuff there.

~LuckyBoneDice~
2010-04-16, 11:11 AM
So a Poison Dusk Lizardfolk with the Poisonous blood trait should use Megapede and Pit Fiend vemoms?

Dusk Eclipse
2010-04-16, 11:15 AM
Poison Dusk Lizardfolk don't have natural poison, they do get poison use but AFAIK they don't produce their own venom

~LuckyBoneDice~
2010-04-16, 11:18 AM
Poison Dusk Lizardfolk don't have natural poison, they do get poison use but AFAIK they don't produce their own venom

So I'm better off not using that race... Maybe a Lesser Drow with Pit Fiend Venom for blood?

Dusk Eclipse
2010-04-16, 11:21 AM
So I'm better off not using that race... Maybe a Lesser Drow with Pit Fiend Venom for blood?

While they don't have poison, they are AWESOME +2 dex +2 con are good, the natural armor small size and dex bonus give them anb advantage at low-levels where AC still matters. natural weapons are good if you can get extra damage (use a tailblade from SS full attack with it and then use all your natural attacks)

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-04-16, 11:26 AM
What about alcohol?

Bleeding booze is always special.

arguskos
2010-04-16, 11:28 AM
What about alcohol?

Bleeding booze is always special.
Poison Healing! Poison Healing!! :smallbiggrin:

~LuckyBoneDice~
2010-04-16, 11:32 AM
While they don't have poison, they are AWESOME +2 dex +2 con are good, the natural armor small size and dex bonus give them anb advantage at low-levels where AC still matters. natural weapons are good if you can get extra damage (use a tailblade from SS full attack with it and then use all your natural attacks)

Good point. We are 13th lv now

Kaiyanwang
2010-04-16, 11:48 AM

You know, IMHO megapede poison is the right way to conceive a poison. A poison should be dire. 3.5 poison, generally speaking, are way too bland.

OP: take a look in the often overlooked Drow of the Underdark. There are weapon enchants reducing the time of secondary damage, or making the poison applied be effective 2 for 2 strikes instead of 1.

Thrawn183
2010-04-16, 12:24 PM
Lets not forget that by the level you'd probably be fighting a Megapede, it's not exactly difficult to pick up poison immunity, which leaves the Megapede... more like a CR 14-15? Really, without its poison the Megapede has nothing.

Beorn080
2010-04-16, 12:37 PM
Yeah, but if you have megapede poison for blood, then suddenly your a far more dangerous opponent.

Starbuck_II
2010-04-16, 12:40 PM
Lets not forget that by the level you'd probably be fighting a Megapede, it's not exactly difficult to pick up poison immunity, which leaves the Megapede... more like a CR 14-15? Really, without its poison the Megapede has nothing.

You can buy a Horn of Plenty for all day immunity by level 8 easily (14K). It grants it to everyone in party.
Likely it should be party funds.

Eldariel
2010-04-16, 12:50 PM

It is...one of the reasons it's a really good idea to e.g. enjoy a Heroes' Feast every morning or be immune to ability damage at those points; a Raging Barbarian, a DMM Cleric and a Wildshaped Druid has a chance to make those saves (they're around +35 with little work), but it's a longshot. And then there's everyone else. Though of course, tier 1-2 are unlike to be hit in the first place, but still...

~LuckyBoneDice~
2010-04-16, 12:51 PM
okay. so the Megapede Poison for blood is VERY powerful for say a squishy (mage)?

Beorn080
2010-04-16, 01:12 PM
Well, while it is very powerful, you said you had a habit of being eaten by flying/swimming things. I'd imagine the creature being paralyzed with you in its mouth, so you can't get out, then crashing to the ground/sinking underwater would be a bad thing for you. That said, the creature dying would do the same thing, but you could probably get out.

~LuckyBoneDice~
2010-04-16, 01:14 PM
Well, while it is very powerful, you said you had a habit of being eaten by flying/swimming things. I'd imagine the creature being paralyzed with you in its mouth, so you can't get out, then crashing to the ground/sinking underwater would be a bad thing for you. That said, the creature dying would do the same thing, but you could probably get out.

Plus, I'd either be a Divine Crusader (meaning a sword is handy) or a Warlock Nuker (blow its mouth ect. open)

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-04-16, 01:52 PM
If it hasn't been mentioned, a poison DC has to do with the creature's HD and con mod. If you had that poison the DC would be lower. If failed it would still do the same damage, just at a reduced DC.

Eldariel
2010-04-16, 01:56 PM
If it hasn't been mentioned, a poison DC has to do with the creature's HD and con mod. If you had that poison the DC would be lower. If failed it would still do the same damage, just at a reduced DC.

Extracted poisons use the source creature though. Technically it's possible to domesticate (epic Handle Animal or the DoTU stuff) and breed Megapede with even more fearsome poison. Ability Focus: Poison, some extra Con and advanced HD. But that'd be unique and more expensive.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-04-16, 02:00 PM
Extracted poisons use the source creature though.
Isn't the op asking for poisons though for himself to exude?

Btw, this spell might be of interest: Gut (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29539)