PDA

View Full Version : Cool Traits and Flaws <3.5>

~LuckyBoneDice~
2010-04-15, 01:04 PM
I realise my first try @ Homebrew sucked. here's my second try folks...

Trait: Poisonous Blood - Your blood is a powerful toxin/ravage which a good deterrant to being hurt, just remind your medic!

Effect: Your blood is a type of poison or ravage of your choice. You gain immunity to this poison/ravage, however Heal checks made to you (other than your own) are at a -4 penalty

Trait: Ooze Sexiness - You are the idol of all of the opposite sex and the envy of the same gender, but you are always followed by adoring fans...

Effect: You gain a +8 to Charisma Checks against a target of the opposite gender of you and a +4 to a target of the same gender, but you are always followed by Fans, who cause you to take a -8 to Hide and Move Silently checks

Trait: Bodak's Gaze - Your gaze can be a deadly weapon, but you have no control of it....

Effect: You gain a Bodak's Gaze Attack, which is a Save or Die with a DC= Cha modifier + ECL, but cannot be stopped except by closing/covering your eyes.

More will come

~LuckyBoneDice~
2010-04-15, 01:25 PM
Feedback any1?

Ashtagon
2010-04-15, 01:32 PM
You might want to wait more than 20 minutes before bumping your own thread?

These are way off the scale compared to the SRD traits. SRD traits only give a +/-1 modifier. +/-8 is crazy by comparison. Traits are meant to be personality quirks that give small bonus for a RP feature, not super-powers.

~LuckyBoneDice~
2010-04-15, 01:37 PM
You might want to wait more than 20 minutes before bumping your own thread?

These are way off the scale compared to the SRD traits. SRD traits only give a +/-1 modifier. +/-8 is crazy by comparison. Traits are meant to be personality quirks that give small bonus for a RP feature, not super-powers.

ok. I understand how Ooze Sexiness is cheated, but what about the other 2?

herbe
2010-04-15, 01:53 PM
Bodak gaze is very powerful especially in hand of CE and it has a very high DC.
DC shoulc be 10+ half HD+ cha however its not a trait i think

Poisonous blood: its not a trait at all despite penalty to heal. If someone bite you ?

However nice ideas but need to be rethink in this form they arent balanced.

~LuckyBoneDice~
2010-04-15, 01:59 PM
Bodak gaze is very powerful especially in hand of CE and it has a very high DC.
DC shoulc be 10+ half HD+ cha however its not a trait i think

Poisonous blood: its not a trait at all despite penalty to heal. If someone bite you ?

However nice ideas but need to be rethink in this form they arent balanced.

Like that better for Bodak Gaze, but what would it be? It's not a feat...

and Poisonous Blood works if cut in any form, ie: slashing and piercing damage, bitten, or swallowed whole

Djinn_in_Tonic
2010-04-15, 02:17 PM
Poisonous Blood: Bonuses to skill checks (such as Heal) are easy to come by, and, with the prevalence of healing items and spells, the Heal skill isn't really ever crucial to a given situation. It's not unbalanced per se (as it's only one poison), but I'd rather see a list of "ravages and toxins" you can become immune to...and have it composed of ones that might reasonably be in a bloodstream.

Note that if it causes creatures injuring you to contact the poison, it's EXTREMELY overpowered.

Ooze Sexiness: WAY to good. A +8/+4 to all Charisma checks in exchange for penalties to skills that I might not ever need to use? Also, you use fans as a balancing point. Really? What if I go alone on a dungeon crawl, or into a secret meeting? What if I get hit by a fireball? What if I turn invisible and just leave? Those fans could only reasonably be around in situations where I wouldn't need the skills they penalize. Further, why would simple sex appeal cause a horde of adoring followers to tag along into a necropolis, or the Far Realms, or a dragon's lair, or a battlefield...or...

Also, I find it funny that I can have Charisma 1, and still be so sexy that I have fans following me around.

Bodak's Gaze: So it's really, really powerful, but your party and everyone you meet hates you. It's overpowered AND a loose cannon...which is a bad combination. This sort of power is limited to monsters only for a good reason. Also, it doesn't really make sense as a trait...how would this naturally happen to someone?

If you're aiming for a sort of "cursed gaze" power, that's the realm of feats (most likely) or class features. Traits are minor mechanical bonuses. These are all (with the possible exception of Poisonous Blood) MUCH more than minor bonuses.

~LuckyBoneDice~, I'm more than happy to help you with some of your homebrew, as I wholeheartedly support newcomers to the field. That said, we need to see some idea of your intent behind the 'brew, as well as what you were aiming to accomplish...all I see here are rules that don't really fit well into the system, and are, to me, nonsensical. Which means that I can't really offer any helpful critique. That said, feel free to PM me at any time...I've been doing this a while, and am more than happy to lend a hand.

Pink
2010-04-15, 02:27 PM
I'll agree that these are not really traits. What they actually are? I really don't know.
could call them super traits of some kind. Maybe burn the feat you get at first level?

Poisonous blood: as written, this is rather unbalanced. A penalty to heal checks made on you is nothing. Anything heal can do, magic does better.

Moreover, it's implementation doesn't make sense. If your poison is inhalation only, why does it get poisoned for ingestion?

I think, the poison chosen needs to be specified as ingestion, or ingestion and contact or somehow clarified to make sensible choices, unless this trait makes your blood a gas for those inhilation poisons. Anyone who touches you while you're below 50% HP has a 25% of being effected by your poison.

It still has a wonky feel to it.

Ooze sexiness: honestly, I think this is an unnessary trait. Having a 20 cha can be interpreted to be, in and of itself, already represnting the trait of being sexy.

I think, if you want to represent a magnetism to one gender and the envy of the opposite, +4 diplo to one, -4 to the other (really shouldn't have those numbers that high, but I'm just tossing stuff out there)

Bodak's gaze: honestly, with the low dc, this interests me. You should specify fort save.
However, the idea of a cursed hero, with a deadly ability but one he can't control, sounds very interesting, and it kinda works like a flaw in itself for when you basically need to blind yourself or look away. That's assuming a good character though.

Dunno what to make of this one, but I like the concept it makes me think of.

Overall though, these seem far more unique character, between a player and dm homebrew, as opposed to a universal homebrew that can be readily applied to most games.

Lateral
2010-04-15, 02:40 PM
Well, Bodak's Gaze seems kinda superpowerful for a trait. I see how you tried to balance it but there are pretty fast ways to become deadly with it. For instance, take a 1st-level Human Fighter with Bodak Gaze. He takes as his feats Blind-fight (fighter feat)...Well, I dunno what else, but it does seem easily breakable. As for Poisonous Blood, it seems kind of more in the realm of feats than traits. Still, these seem like fun. Got any ideas for flaws?

Edit: Wow, when I started to write this post only one person had posted on it!
(p.s. Do you mind if I use Bodak's Gaze? I'm trying to make a really optimized, lethal character with lots of death attacks and this seems perfect.)

Djinn_in_Tonic
2010-04-15, 02:42 PM
(p.s. Do you mind if I use Bodak's Gaze? I'm trying to make a really optimized, lethal character with lots of death attacks and this seems perfect.)

Be EXTREMELY wary of this power as written. It WILL mess up balance.

Lateral
2010-04-15, 02:47 PM
Be EXTREMELY wary of this power as written. It WILL mess up balance.

...I know, that's what I'm using it for...
I'm thinking that if I use it RAW, then I can just make the guy have a visor.
[under his hood, of course...I'm going for a Grim Reaper type of thing.]

Anyway, what was I going to say? Oh yeah. Are the fans from Ooze in your square or do they occupy the squares AROUND it?
(and can they be killed?)

~LuckyBoneDice~
2010-04-16, 11:28 AM
...I know, that's what I'm using it for...
I'm thinking that if I use it RAW, then I can just make the guy have a visor.
[under his hood, of course...I'm going for a Grim Reaper type of thing.]

Anyway, what was I going to say? Oh yeah. Are the fans from Ooze in your square or do they occupy the squares AROUND it?
(and can they be killed?)

okay, to all who asked, Poisonous blood can only be contact or ingested poisons or ravages.

Ooze sexiness is supposed to represent Paparazzi-esq annoyance. For the Evil Diplomat, this could be a boon (say, sacrifice the fans to summon a devil?), but for a Ninja, it'd be a pain

and Bodak's Gaze is powerful, but at a major cost. And yes, you can use this. Again, be careful to not blast your buddies.