PDA

View Full Version : 4e (modules) harder than 3.x?

randomhero00
2010-04-15, 02:27 PM
Keep in mind I've only played 4e 1-8 or so. But so far 4e seems a lot tougher than 3.x. The premade modules/campaigns I mean, not mechanics. The only thing tougher with 3.x at low levels was that 1-2 or so there was a chance for a lucky crit and you might get one shotted.

I'm finding half the fights in 4e modules quite a struggle. It is almost a given that someone will go unconscious. There have been a ton of fights where we barely scrape by. And we've had to run from several as well.

Maybe its our skill and newness with 4e, OTOH its not like you can really mess up a 4e character. And from reading forums we are all fairly optimized individually. Maybe its our party make up?

Cleric, ranger, barbarian, warden, and wizard.

I hear its a lot easier if you have more than 1 leader.

valadil
2010-04-15, 02:30 PM
Dying isn't as big of a deal in 4e, so it's okay to go unconscious. I feel like that allows enemies to be a little more brutal.

The only thing I've found challenging so far as been bosses with way too many hitpoints, although I think they could be avoided with something like this: http://slyflourish.com/three-monster-powers-to-speed-up-combat/

randomhero00
2010-04-15, 02:32 PM
btw the modules we've played IIRC are Keep on the Shadowfell and Thunderspire Labyrinth.